GDT: 2019 NHL Draft Day 2: 1:00 EST

Status
Not open for further replies.

Better Call Sal

Salnalysis
Nov 24, 2011
New Jersey
What did they have at the watch party anyway? I know from the stuff they posted on Twitter they had a pre-draft interview with Greene and Cory. What did they wind up doing post-pick?

Truthfully not much :laugh:. It was kind of funny how the crowd dispersed as it became the Rangers turn. I got a chuckle that they turned the screen off as they were walking to the podium, but they turned it back on once Kakko was selected.

My buddies and I went to the food trucks towards the back of the plaza after we picked since we hadn't eaten, it seemed like they just played some music and had the draft on the screen with no sound for a little while. There were plenty of tents for beer and other drinks for people, but it seemed to be kind of open ended once we picked.

Zippy316

aka Zippo
Aug 17, 2012
New Jersey
They haven't exactly given up on him yet since they signed him to an AHL deal.

I know. But he's in a similar case of making a lot of Do Not Draft lists and falling hard.

Devils took the risk and (I'd do it all over again) on Popugayev who was also a perceived top 10 talent. That doesn't look to be paying off like they would hope.

Just don't see them using an early pick for Kaliyev due to that. Maybe in the third round, but not now.

HenriquesJawLine

Mar 6, 2009
After how Popugayev has gone for the Devils, I'd bet they steer clear of Kaliyev especially in the second round.
They wouldn't have taken Pop if they didn't have 10 picks that draft, Dan Mackinnon said you can take those risks when you have an abundance of picks.

unknownbrother

Apr 1, 2015
UK
I really hope today will be more interesting than yesterday. It has to be.

I was up until 4:30am watching the 1st round, praying for some sort of trade to make staying up worth it.

Cheddabombs

Status Quo
Mar 13, 2012
After how Popugayev has gone for the Devils, I'd bet they steer clear of Kaliyev especially in the second round.

Kaliyev has way more talent than Popugayev ever showed leading up to his draft. There also isn't as much drama around him as Poppy.

Cheddabombs

Status Quo
Mar 13, 2012
That's fair. Kaliyev's seems more about his game but Popugayev's was around his commitment.

Yeah and with a many picks they have today, maybe they feel like swinging for the fences. His issues aren't unfixable, and if they can work it out he's a top 10 talent. But there are other great players that'll be available so either way id be happy.

thethinglonger

Castron & Crew
Dec 1, 2014
New Jersey
There's a lot to like about Lavoie. Strong winger who put on a clinic in the QMJHL Playoffs. There's some areas for improvement for him (like everybody still on the board) such as his compete level and defensive play. He also isn't too creative overall and has room to grow with being a threat in transition play. However, once in the offensive zone, he's a beast. In his draft guide, Steve K said that Lavoie essentially plays a very similar game to Kakko, which would be funny if Lavoie was our pick.

I still have a gut feeling it'll be Hoglander if he's still on the board at #34. Positional need be damned. Hoglander is a speedy, fiesty, playmaking winger with electric hands and potential through the roof.

Zippy316

aka Zippo
Aug 17, 2012
New Jersey
There's a lot to like about Lavoie. Strong winger who put on a clinic in the QMJHL Playoffs. There's some areas for improvement for him (like everybody still on the board) such as his compete level and defensive play. He also isn't too creative overall and isn't all that dangerous in transition play. However, once in the offensive zone, he's a beast. In his draft guide, Steve K said that Lavoie essentially plays a very similar game to Kakko, which would be funny if Lavoie was our pick.

I still have a gut feeling it'll be Hoglander if he's still on the board at #34. Positional need be damned. Hoglander is a speedy, fiesty, playmaking winger with electric hands and potential through the roof.

Seems like every time early second round rolls around there's some tantalizing forward prospects oozing skill that are so hard to pass up. Every time I want the Devils to pick a quality defensive prospect, but it seems like they all take a backseat to the forwards.

Blender

Dec 2, 2009
Kaliyev is an American and a completely different type of player. He was by far the best U18 player in the OHL this season with 51 goals and 102 points in 67 games.

Zippy316

aka Zippo
Aug 17, 2012
New Jersey
Kaliyev is an American and a completely different type of player. He was by far the best U18 player in the OHL this season with 51 goals and 102 points in 67 games.

True, probably won't fall as far for because he's American. Still it seems like the Devils like to stick to character guys when drafting. I don't think they'd want to stray from that until later on.

We'll see. They know a lot more about these players than we do so they'll have a better idea.

Blender

Dec 2, 2009
True, probably won't fall as far for because he's American. Still it seems like the Devils like to stick to character guys when drafting. I don't think they'd want to stray from that until later on.

We'll see. They know a lot more about these players than we do so they'll have a better idea.
Since Shero and Castron came on board there has been a heavy focus on speed and skill. If one of the most skilled players in the draft falls to us at 34 because of fixable "character" issues, you take him 100% of the time.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
They also want high compete level though. They'll take a chance on talent with character issues later in the draft, but don't think they'd do it at 34.

thethinglonger

Castron & Crew
Dec 1, 2014
New Jersey
Seems like every time early second round rolls around there's some tantalizing forward prospects oozing skill that are so hard to pass up. Every time I want the Devils to pick a quality defensive prospect, but it seems like they all take a backseat to the forwards.

Can't tell you how bummed I am that Buffalo snagged Ryan Johnson at 31. He would've been my number one choice for the 34th pick. However, there are still some very interesting d-men still on the board. I've got Matthew Robertson as #33 on my list...Vladislav Kolyachonok at #35 and then Drew Helleson at #44. How I see it is you have to pick BPA here, which unfortunately, in all likelihood, won't be a d-man. Guys like Brink, Lavoie, Hoglander, etc. might just be too good to pass on.

NJDevs

Jun 28, 2018
New Jersey
Can't tell you how bummed I am that Buffalo snagged Ryan Johnson at 31. He would've been my number one choice for the 34th pick. However, there are still some very interesting d-men still on the board. I've got Matthew Robertson as #33 on my list...Vladislav Kolyachonok at #35 and then Drew Helleson at #44. How I see it is you have to pick BPA here, which unfortunately, in all likelihood, won't be a d-man. Guys like Brink, Lavoie, Hoglander, etc. might just be too good to pass on.
Same. Other than what was an otherwise fantastic night for the Devils, him going 31OA left me a little sour at the end. He was in that tier with Bjornfot and Heinola for me. The remaining group of defensemen are very similar in upside IMO, and there's enough of them that I think one squeaks by until 55OA. Too many good forwards at 34OA to pass on.

thethinglonger

Castron & Crew
Dec 1, 2014
New Jersey
Same. Other than what was an otherwise fantastic night for the Devils, him going 31OA left me a little sour at the end. He was in that tier with Bjornfot and Heinola for me. The remaining group of defensemen are very similar in upside IMO, and there's enough of them that I think one squeaks by until 55OA. Too many good forwards at 34OA to pass on.

I would be extremely happy if we grabbed Cajkovic with 55OA and one of Kolyachonok/Kniazev/Korczak at 61 (since I think M. Robertson and Drew Helleson will be off the board by then)

Triumph

Oct 2, 2007
Cap was announced later or around the same time in several seasons, it's more that the draft is early this year and the Cup Finals went to 7 games.

Feb 2, 2009
Manalapan, NJ
Draft festival was absolutely wild last night. My friend bought season tickets last night and we ended up in the VIP area. Going to the meet and greet on Tuesday night, and I - much like Mr. Jack Hughes - am fired up.

Thanks again to @New Jersey for getting my friend and I into the festival yesterday.

MasterofGrond

No, I'm not serious.
Sponsor
Feb 13, 2009
Rochester, NY
I want Kaliyev, bad. Really think that 5 years from now, people are going to be shocked he went so low.

Kid has it, and in the second round, I'm willing to take a chance.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad