NFL GDT: 2019 NFC Wild Card Round: (4) Philadelphia Eagles vs (5) Seattle Seahawks - Seattle wins 17-9

PHISEA

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Sombastate

Jun 19, 2011
Las Vegas
What are you on about? We see 10 hits a game that are worse than that. It was completely clean and it would be outrageous and laughable for there to be a flag on such a minor hit.

Wentz is too brittle for the NFL. Simple as that.

So every analyst, pro football player, and objective fan is wrong. You're right, champ.

Reactions: Dakota Sioux

Didalee Hed

I’m trying to understand
Sep 14, 2019
Wentz getting hurt did mater. If Wilson got hurt, their 19 yards rushing wouldn't go up with Geno Smith at the helm. But, he got hurt.

For Wentz, seeing the entire play unfold again, he took a deep drop of 7-8 yards, then moved to his right. Nothing was open. I believe upon replay, he managed to roll out right enough to get outside the tackle box. He had McDougal in front of him kind of to his right who had outside containment on him. Wentz has to know then that he is several yards behind the LOS and unlikely to make it back there. Best option at that point is to continue to move to his right and throw the ball out of bounds past the LOS. Because, even if Clowney doesn't hit him, it's a 5-6 yard sack. Avoidable negative play.
I don’t think Wentz is that great. I think him and Goff are more Mariota/Winston than whoever the gold standard is for two qbs taken right at the top of the draft.

Reactions: MikeyMike01

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
I don’t think Wentz is that great. I think him and Goff are more Mariota/Winston than whoever the gold standard is for two qbs taken right at the top of the draft.
Derek Carr had a great year back in 2016 when he was 13-2 as a starter until he broke his ankle against Indy in week 16. Raiders made the playoffs but had Connor Cook at the helm. I’d say that year Carr was better than Jimmy G this season and people are still hopeful on Jimmy G despite these 2 guys being from the same draft class. Just that Carr has 94 career starts vsJimmy’s 26. So you’ve seen Carr’s warts.

so guys with more limited starts still get the benefit of the doubt to raise their game or return to a high level if they have produced before which Wentz did back in 2017 before he tore his ACL.

But, the longer he goes without doing that, the less chance he has to do it.

Didalee Hed

I’m trying to understand
Sep 14, 2019
Derek Carr had a great year back in 2016 when he was 13-2 as a starter until he broke his ankle against Indy in week 16. Raiders made the playoffs but had Connor Cook at the helm. I’d say that year Carr was better than Jimmy G this season and people are still hopeful on Jimmy G despite these 2 guys being from the same draft class. Just that Carr has 94 career starts vsJimmy’s 26. So you’ve seen Carr’s warts.

so guys with more limited starts still get the benefit of the doubt to raise their game or return to a high level if they have produced before which Wentz did back in 2017 before he tore his ACL.

But, the longer he goes without doing that, the less chance he has to do it.
It’s kinda funny that your post made me look up the Raiders 2016 season, from having forgotten they had done so well, fairly recently. This is because I heard today that yesterday was only Bill O’Brien’s second win with the Texans in the postseason, and I was wondering who the F else had lost to them. Hello connor cook.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
It’s kinda funny that your post made me look up the Raiders 2016 season, from having forgotten they had done so well, fairly recently. This is because I heard today that yesterday was only Bill O’Brien’s second win with the Texans in the postseason, and I was wondering who the F else had lost to them. Hello connor cook.
Completely different game is Carr was playing. At least the Carr from 2016. He hasn’t been the same since. The OC he had that year didn’t return the following year for some reason.

need to see some consistency before we anoint QBs as great.

Reactions: I Am A Goon

Dakota Sioux

Wild Time
Aug 19, 2005
JAMESTOWN,ND
608A6F2E-B503-4D60-99CA-DFBC9D074B90.jpeg
You know it was cheap when the Eagles hater Skippy boy says so

YEM

Mar 7, 2010
I don't think it was a dirty hit [and I'm an eagles fan], I don't see the intent, just unfortunate.
I think if Wilson took the same hit from us yesterday and got knocked out of the game, eagles fans wouldn't be calling it dirty.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
How many times does this guy need to get hurt before he will just slide? Half of playing in the NFL is just protecting yourself.
On replay, sliding really was not an option. He was diving/falling forward because the Safety got a piece of him below the knee.

But, if you watch the play from the snap, the best option for Wentz on that play was to throw the ball away as he had the safety in front of him to contain him from getting outside, thus forcing Wentz back inside where the help would come from. Plus Wentz was several yards behind the LOS behind he tucked the ball away to run so there is no benefit of taking a hit on that play, as he wasn't going to gain many yards (think that play ended in a sack because he didn't get back to the LOS). QBs should run and absorb contact only if it's 3rd down and they are fighting for the 1st down. Otherwise, slide early and trust in your abilities to make a throw to secure the extra yardage that sliding early prevented you from getting on the next play.

That's the main takeaway for Wentz and the Eagles moving forward. They need him on the field. Guys like Jackson, Allen, Murray, etc. like Wentz, RG3, Newton, and Luck will use their athleticism to run, but it takes a serious injury before the team will have second thoughts about continuing to do it. You can run and use your mobility, just need to be smart about it. Understand the Risk/Reward. Extra yardage isn't worth taking a hit unless it is 3rd down and you have a shot at making the first down.

DangleCity

Jun 23, 2016
On replay, sliding really was not an option. He was diving/falling forward because the Safety got a piece of him below the knee.

But, if you watch the play from the snap, the best option for Wentz on that play was to throw the ball away as he had the safety in front of him to contain him from getting outside, thus forcing Wentz back inside where the help would come from. Plus Wentz was several yards behind the LOS behind he tucked the ball away to run so there is no benefit of taking a hit on that play, as he wasn't going to gain many yards (think that play ended in a sack because he didn't get back to the LOS). QBs should run and absorb contact only if it's 3rd down and they are fighting for the 1st down. Otherwise, slide early and trust in your abilities to make a throw to secure the extra yardage that sliding early prevented you from getting on the next play.

That's the main takeaway for Wentz and the Eagles moving forward. They need him on the field. Guys like Jackson, Allen, Murray, etc. like Wentz, RG3, Newton, and Luck will use their athleticism to run, but it takes a serious injury before the team will have second thoughts about continuing to do it. You can run and use your mobility, just need to be smart about it. Understand the Risk/Reward. Extra yardage isn't worth taking a hit unless it is 3rd down and you have a shot at making the first down.
It was 100% an option. He just no longer made it one by the position he put himself in. Just as how a QB needs to know when to throw the ball away he needs to know when to take a sack and give himself up.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
It was 100% an option. He just no longer made it one by the position he put himself in. Just as how a QB needs to know when to throw the ball away he needs to know when to take a sack and give himself up.
Taking a sack was an option, but when a throw away is available, he shouldn't take a sack. Enough separation between Wentz and the safety that if he back peddles on a 45 degree angle he creates enough room to use his arm strength to throw the ball out of bounds past the LOS.

Reality Check

May 28, 2008
Philadelphia had no business being in the playoffs as it was. Unfortunate that both Wentz and McCown got hurt but I couldn't see them winning any more than a home Wild Card game. Nothing to be ashamed about though.

NOW if you're a Dallas fan, I would feel even more embarrassed that you managed to lose this division against that Eagles squad.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad