OT: 2019-nCov Part 4: Sanitized & Solo Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lshap

Hardline Moderate
Jun 6, 2011
Montreal
My girlfriend's friend is trying to be tested, he has symptoms :( He travelled a few weeks ago but it can't be from it since it's been more than 2 weeks. Let's hope it's only the flu and not the COVID.
The only important factors are how your friend is feeling and if he's isolating himself. As long as he's okay and not infecting anyone else, it doesn't matter if it's Coronavirus or a regular flu.

BLONG7

Oct 30, 2002
Nova Scotia
Visit site
I'm sitting alone in a restaurant. First customer of the day... looking like one of the very few they'll get all day. Why go at all? The owner's a friend, the risk is low enough, and frankly I miss getting out and relaxing over bacon and eggs and lots of coffee. Everyone has their acceptable safety level; this fits mine.

Got an earful from my owner buddy when I walked in. He's a bit self-absorbed these days, but I can't really blame him. He's watching 100k of revenue disappear and there's not a single thing he can do about it. He fully expects Quebec restaurants to be officially closed soon, leaving him with nothing to do but sit at home and monitor his dwindling savings. He's obviously not alone. There are entire classes of businesses in danger of drying up and dying. Now, I imagine banks will be very flexible with payments and I expect tax breaks and some compensation for them, but the domino effect on an economy built on small businesses is going to be severe.

45 minutes later, not a single customer other than me. I'll tip extra.
Wow, that's too bad, as we know most restaurants are owned by small business people....things here in NS are a little more brisk, but pretty quiet also.......gotta feel for small business's. And the stock market is a mess, I mean a mess, just got off the phone with my advisor, I was able to retire 2 yrs ago, and man it's been all gravy for the past two years, but in the last month, it has wiped out those two years of gravy!! I am glad I went back to work part time for my company, no longer running stores now, but a courier busieness for my old employer, and it's been a saving grace right now.

The entire country has to hang on for another couple of weeks I would think and we can then go back to moving forward.

Andy

Jun 26, 2008
Montreal
I think what we need to ingrain in ourselves is that getting the virus if you're healthy is not a death sentence.

Yes, you're chances of complications are much, much higher than the regular flu, but there is still a very, very, very high chance that you'll be fine.

That doesn't mean you get to be irresponsible. You should still practice social distancing and protect people who are most at risk. But for your personal mental health, note that it is not the end if you contract it.

Lshap

Hardline Moderate
Jun 6, 2011
Montreal
I think what we need to ingrain in ourselves is that getting the virus if you're healthy is not a death sentence.

Yes, you're chances of complications are much, much higher than the regular flu, but there is still a very, very, very high chance that you'll be fine.

That doesn't mean you get to be irresponsible. You should still practice social distancing and protect people who are most at risk. But for your personal mental health, note that it is not the end if you contract it.
Yup. Important reality check. As @Kriss E said, we're not being turned into zombies. I told my family the same thing -- if we get sick, we'll feel like crap and recover in a few days, same as usual. But we're NOT visiting grandparents and NOT interacting and touching stuff as much. Respect reality; don't be terrified of it.

ourobouros

Sep 29, 2009
It's not exaclty sport but for anyone looking for an alternative to hockey...

FIDE Candidates Tournament is probably right now one the biggest event not cancelled. This tournament will determine who will be the next opponent to Magnus Carlsen for the the chess world title....

Giri, Anish vs. Nepomniachtchi, Ian | FIDE Candidates Tournament 2020

The coverage by Yasser Seirawan, and Maurice Ashley for the Saint Louis Chess Club is usually great for this kind of event...

peate

Smiley
Sponsor
Feb 16, 2007
The Island
Yup. Important reality check. As @Kriss E said, we're not being turned into zombies. I told my family the same thing -- if we get sick, we'll feel like crap and recover in a few days, same as usual. But we're NOT visiting grandparents and NOT interacting and touching stuff as much. Respect reality; don't be terrified of it.
Nice to see rational thinking for a change. I was sick as a dog in November, worse I've ever felt from a flu. Did I go out and infect people? NO. Did I get better? Yes, after a week or so. I find the level of panic more disturbing than the virus itself.

A vaccine is not a cure. It's a preventive solution.

FrankMTL

Jan 6, 2005
Alright anybody knows where I could find natural stones that are round-ish and weigh around 50-200 pounds ?

Any spots near you that has those ? Be it in a river or in a landscaping store.

I need to lift heavy shit, my mind is racing and racing and racing and I don't do anything but stare at a screen.

I hear you. I had gained some weight slowly but progressively since the birth of our first child 5+ years ago. I was always in really good shape. I had gone religiously to the gym for 15 years (i'm 40 now) but had pretty much stopped for the last 5 years. My ideal weight was always about 160-165 pounds. I had decided not to weigh myself the last few years as I knew I had put on weight...not a ton, but enough. After the holidays I felt like crap and was tired of people telling me that i had "put on a few pounds", so I decided to weigh myself. It's not horrible, but I was up to 193 which is way heavier than I had ever been. I decided to go on a strict diet of cutting calories (basically half of what I was eating before) and cut all alcohol and desserts as well as going back to the gym minimum 3 days per week. In about 10 1/2 weeks, I went from 193 pounds down to 167 pounds now and very close to my shape from before.

Will have to figure something else out for lifting weights...Maybe exercises that have to do with lifting my own weight...I don't know.

Lshap

Hardline Moderate
Jun 6, 2011
Montreal
Nice to see rational thinking for a change. I was sick as a dog in November, worse I've ever felt from a flu. Did I go out and infect people? NO. Did I get better? Yes, after a week or so. I find the level of panic more disturbing than the virus itself.

A vaccine is not a cure. It's a preventive solution.
Yeah, I see this in two parts:

1) Necessary actions: We absolutely need to prevent healthcare overload. As we've seen in Italy, this isn't an abstraction. Measures needed to be taken to keep the tide of patients from overwhelming doctors & nurses. Canada appears to be doing that, though it's too soon to declare any kind of victory.

2) Peace of mind: We also need to stem the anxiety overload. Hoarding food, fear of the slightest symptom, paranoia about any contact whatsoever -- these are symptoms of a much bigger problem. Our economy runs on basic trust that our foundation is solid. Without that trust, we switch to a panic gear that hoards one thing and completely avoids everything else, which creates a downward economic spiral. People need to regain trust. A vaccine or an effective treatment will give us back the peace of mind that evaporated like a soap bubble just one week ago. We need to trust that we can once again get sick normally.

Andy

Jun 26, 2008
Montreal

1) Necessary actions: We absolutely need to prevent healthcare overload. As we've seen in Italy, this isn't an abstraction. Measures needed to be taken to keep the tide of patients from overwhelming doctors & nurses. Canada appears to be doing that, though it's too soon to declare any kind of victory.

2) Peace of mind: We also need to stem the anxiety overload. Hoarding food, fear of the slightest symptom, paranoia about any contact whatsoever -- these are symptoms of a much bigger problem. Our economy runs on basic trust that our foundation is solid. Without that trust, we switch to a panic gear that hoards one thing and completely avoids everything else, which creates a downward economic spiral. People need to regain trust. A vaccine or an effective treatment will give us back the peace of mind that evaporated like a soap bubble just one week ago. We need to trust that we can once again get sick normally.
I'm hoping we're able to find a treatment that at the very least can reduce the amount of cases that enter into critical conditions. I'm not sure if finding a treatment is quicker than finding a vaccine.

Lshap

Hardline Moderate
Jun 6, 2011
Montreal
I'm hoping we're able to find a treatment that at the very least can reduce the amount of cases that enter into critical conditions. I'm not sure if finding a treatment is quicker than finding a vaccine.
No idea either, but I'm seeing claims of breakthroughs in treatments and early vaccines coming from Europe, Israel, Cuba, the US, and here in Canada. They actually started phase-1 vaccination tests on humans. Crisis Technology -- the inventions that have come out of war, financial, and health crises -- would be a freakin Oscar-winning documentary subject!

MarkovsKnee

Global Moderator
Nov 21, 2007
Toronto
Ontario isn't really shutting down. Just public places. Stores, malls, businesses, banks, construction sites are all still open.

Daycares are closed, libraries, restaurants, theaters, cinemas, basically anywhere that people congregate in large numbers.

FrankMTL

Jan 6, 2005
Anybody else picturing the USA post COVID-19 ending up like the alternate reality in Back to the Future 2, except with Donald Trump's face on the hotel instead of Biff Tannen? :laugh:

Starts at 1:15 more or less

back-to-the-future-2-biff-tannens-pleasure-paradise-poker-set.jpg

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah

I asked my friends how are the hospitals as he's a doctor, he said the 3 he works at are actually calmer than usual pre-crisis. Guess less people go to hospitals now unless they absolutely have to in fear of catching the virus there.
So, I definitely think Canada, or at least Quebec, is managing the overload quite well. Also important to note, only 3 people have needed to be hospitalized here.

You have a few posters here trying to incite fear for some odd reason.

Reactions: Andy

Seb

All we are is Dustin Byfuglien
Jul 15, 2006
It's not exaclty sport but for anyone looking for an alternative to hockey...

FIDE Candidates Tournament is probably right now one the biggest event not cancelled. This tournament will determine who will be the next opponent to Magnus Carlsen for the the chess world title....

Giri, Anish vs. Nepomniachtchi, Ian | FIDE Candidates Tournament 2020

The coverage by Yasser Seirawan, and Maurice Ashley for the Saint Louis Chess Club is usually great for this kind of event...

I don't understand what the hell is going but... Maxime VACHIER-LAGRAVE :laugh::laugh::laugh:

GoodKiwi

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 23, 2006
My sister just lost her job at Marriott. Her entire department (corporate group sales) got laid off.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad