OT: 2019-nCov Part 3: No hockey, but are we fine? Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

groovejuice

Without deviation progress is not possible
Jun 27, 2011
Calgary
Yes, please be careful of infected items

I'll give you an example of a common food item that I mostly wouldn't touch, which is as likely to be infected as anything.

If you buy apples you'll have noticed that they're usually coated with a wax of some kind. You'll also have noticed that they sit loose unpackaged in bins handled repeatedly by shoppers looking for unbruised, pristene fruit. Just how many pairs of unwashed hands do you imagine have touched that perfect apple you want to take home? Note also that the wax is very difficult to remove.

Sometimes innocent seeming things can be the mode of transportation for infective microorganisms.

In a time of a pandemic, it's wise to consider these things, don't you think?

waffledave

waffledave, from hf
Aug 22, 2004
Montreal
I don't buy the stats for mortality or how many need hospitalization, etc... We have no idea how many people actually have it. In Italy it looks like the end of the world but they only test people that show up sick enough to be admitted to hospital. And that's a hospital system so overburdened that they are losing more people than they should be. They are 60 million people in Italy, chances are there are far more than just 30k cases there. Same with China's numbers. SK tests everyone and they have a lot of positives but not many deaths. I would bet that the real number of infected in Italy is over 10 million.

groovejuice

Jun 27, 2011
Calgary
Nope.

For exemple:

Your store sell average of 200k food per day.

The manager make the order for tomorrow. He order around 200k of goods.

The next day people buy 500k of goods. Empty shelves everywhere.

IF the manage doesn't guess the next order right...he will miss again for at least a day. (Some only get delivery every 2 days/3days)

Delivery are not affected. The demand is simply doing hi and low.

The last week in USA was like a 4th of july (biggest week). Usually this is the worst period in term of sales. Demand won’t stay the same.

The people that bought 6 month of toilet paper...won’t buy it again in 2 month...the demand will be almost the same on the long run...except if your cat had fun with it.

I actually asked the store manager about it, and he told me it was a transportation issue, but was hoping to receive the shipment tomorrow morning.

Obviously another problem is unmonitored panic buying - toilet paper as you mentioned, but also anything with bleach, other types of sanitizers, even air freshener, which made me chuckle.

Reactions: Runner77

Mike8

Jun 24, 2002
Visit site
I'll give you an example of a common food item that I mostly wouldn't touch, which is as likely to be infected as anything.

If you buy apples you'll have noticed that they're usually coated with a wax of some kind. You'll also have noticed that they sit loose unpackaged in bins handled repeatedly by shoppers looking for unbruised, pristene fruit. Just how many pairs of unwashed hands do you imagine have touched that perfect apple you want to take home? Note also that the wax is very difficult to remove.

Sometimes innocent seeming things can be the mode of transportation for infective microorganisms.

In a time of a pandemic, it's wise to consider these things, don't you think?

You can just wash the apple thoroughly with soap.

Reactions: Frank Drebin

groovejuice

Jun 27, 2011
Calgary
That wax isn't that easy to remove, but feel free to do so. My point is that most people wouldn't consider an apple a vehicle for covid 19 or to briskly scrub it with soap and warm water before consuming it.

waffledave

waffledave, from hf
Aug 22, 2004
Montreal
COVID19 needs a host and cannot survive long without one. Risk of transmission via contaminated surfaces is unlikely unless someone just sneezed on it.

Reactions: llamateizer

Habaneros

Habs Cup champs 2010
Oct 31, 2011
That wax isn't that easy to remove, but feel free to do so. My point is that most people wouldn't consider an apple a vehicle for covid 19 or to briskly scrub it with soap and warm water before consuming it.

I'm not a virus expert, but if anyone bring apples in my house i'll hit them with a PROPANE torch.....should do the trick ?

Mike8

Jun 24, 2002
Visit site

Fair. I have been scrubbing any fruit/vegetables with soap and water for 30+ seconds and not eating any that I've purchased within the last ~4-5 days. But I'm not deterred from buying anything that's merely been in the open in grocery stores--because this approach is sufficient.

Habaneros

Habs Cup champs 2010
Oct 31, 2011
Reactions: Frank Drebin

Paddyjack

Dec 10, 2007
Sherbrooke
89186377_3084567528240372_6516735637494693888_n.jpg

groovejuice

Jun 27, 2011
Calgary
Fair. I have been scrubbing any fruit/vegetables with soap and water for 30+ seconds and not eating any that I've purchased within the last ~4-5 days. But I'm not deterred from buying anything that's merely been in the open in grocery stores--because this approach is sufficient.

It may very well be sufficient. For the time being I'm eating mostly frozen fruit and vegetables. When I'm dying for apples, which I was recently eating daily, I'll wash, peel and bake them in pastry.

Mike8

Jun 24, 2002
Visit site
Coronavirus: Consumer Resource Page - United Fresh
“There are no clinically confirmed cases of COVID-19 linked to the consumption of fresh produce or food sold through traditional retail outlets. As consumers select their produce, adhering to food safety guidance is critical. We encourage consumers to wash their hands, and wash and prepare their produce following FDA recommendations.”

That does not at all address the post I was responding to. Thanks for intervening with random unrelated facts?

Habaneros

Habs Cup champs 2010
Oct 31, 2011
from the gov't US Food and Drug Admin website

Q: Can I get sick with COVID-19 from touching food, the food packaging, or food contact surfaces, if the coronavirus was present on it?

A: Currently there is no evidence of food or food packaging being associated with transmission of COVID-19. Like other viruses, it is possible that the virus that causes COVID-19 can survive on surfaces or objects. For that reason, it is critical to follow the 4 key steps of food safety
CLICK HERE>>>>>—clean, separate, cook, and chill.

Wash fruits and vegetables, but not meat, poultry, or eggs:

• Cut away any damaged or bruised areas, then rinse fruits and vegetables under running water without soap, bleach, or commercial produce washes.
  • Scrub firm produce like melons or cucumbers with a clean produce brush.
  • Dry produce with a paper towel or clean cloth towel.
  • Don’t wash meat, poultry, eggs, or bagged produce marked “pre-washed”.

Last edited:

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
You prefer this one (Automn ressurgence):

We need a vaccine, it takes 18 months.

A vaccine is not something you order online and it says ''ETA: 18months''. All depends on research. I've heard anywhere from July until ''it's too late we are zombies''...
These posts are not helping whatsoever. What exactly are these accomplishing other than adding fear?

Habaneros

Habs Cup champs 2010
Oct 31, 2011
A vaccine is not something you order online and it says ''ETA: 18months''. All depends on research. I've heard anywhere from July until ''it's too late we are zombies''...
These posts are not helping whatsoever. What exactly are these accomplishing other than adding fear?

the first test dummies got the shot today...
CLICK HERE>First person gets experimental coronavirus vaccine

With careful jabs in the arms of four healthy volunteers, scientists at the Kaiser Permanente Washington Research Institute in Seattle began an anxiously awaited first-stage study of a potential COVID-19 vaccine developed in record time after the new virus exploded out of China and fanned out across the globe.

Habaneros

Habs Cup champs 2010
Oct 31, 2011
Just for fact purposes, the World Health Org(WHO) the people responsible for shutting down the world said this ,

Coronavirus: When will a COVID-19 vaccine be ready?
The WHO has also said a vaccine is at least 18 months away.
“It might happen sooner but I think that’s unrealistic,” Kelvin told Global News. “18 months to two years would be really fantastic if we achieved that target.”

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
Just for fact purposes, the World Health Org(WHO) the people responsible for shutting down the world said this ,

Coronavirus: When will a COVID-19 vaccine be ready?
The WHO has also said a vaccine is at least 18 months away.
“It might happen sooner but I think that’s unrealistic,” Kelvin told Global News. “18 months to two years would be really fantastic if we achieved that target.”

This is the first time there is such a worldwide effort to push for a vaccine asap, it is quite the unique situation. I assume there is more funds being pushed into researching this vaccine that its development would happen at a faster pace than expected.
I'm not expecting any tomorrow or in a month, or two, but keeping hope it would come sooner rather than later.

Last edited:

Habaneros

Habs Cup champs 2010
Oct 31, 2011
https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/calgary/westjet-suspends-flights-1.5499965
WestJet Airlines says it will suspend all international flights — including to the U.S — for 30 days, beginning this Sunday March 22.
The final commercially-scheduled, Canada-bound flights taking off from international destinations will leave by 11:59 p.m., local time, that night. After that, the airline said it will operate rescue and repatriation flights in partnership with the Canadian government.
As of Monday night, when the announcement was made, tickets were no longer available for sale for the 30-day period after March 22.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad