OT: 2019-nCov Part 3: No hockey, but are we fine? Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

ProMath

Dec 13, 2010

That old news... just like last friday everything was empty here on the shelve... that doesnt mean they are missing product.

Most of you aren’t aware...but grocery store doesn’t stock up inventory in the backstore.

When people panic and want to stock up for 3 month...they create artificial shortage.

Supermarket simply need time to fill the shelve...they dont miss the product.

BenchBrawl

Jul 26, 2010
I ordered about 3 weeks of food from Target today that will be delivered next week to re-up myself. Might be something to consider.

Delivery is not a bad idea, still worried about infected items though. Guess it's a lesser evil than going inside the supermarket. I'll think about it tomorrow.

Paddyjack

Dec 10, 2007
Sherbrooke
You are more likely to get infected from droplets in the air than contact. But don't worry, I have a mask - I'd just rather not be exposed at all.

Are you healthy? Are you young? If you answer yes to these questions, what exactly will happen to you if you are exposed? The way I understand it, you are already bunkering yourself so what if you get sick? You will simply be, as you are right now, in isolation. And yeah, feeling unwell. Have you ever had the flu? Same symptoms. Now if you are scared of a disease, fine, ok. Myself I'm scared of heights. It happens. But please stop making everyone around you panic!

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
I'm sorry I didn't put 10 conditions on a statistic that has been reported in a number of different countries.

Once again, you seem to like to grasp at small straws instead of understand the broader argument and point I am making.

Like I told you; just stop engaging with me, I'm not interested in going back and forth with you anymore.
I don't get why you need to be so confrontational here man.
Loll...there's nothing wrong with you wanting to store food for months, and bunkering down. Go for it. Just don't argue that it's a need, don't make up dates of when virus perhaps made its entrance, and don't suggest government here is misleading without having any info to back this up with.

Have a normal discussion mate, not sure I get why this is such a challenge.

buddahsmoka1

Nov 15, 2006
That old news... just like last friday everything was empty here on the shelve... that doesnt mean they are missing product.

Most of you aren’t aware...but grocery store doesn’t stock up inventory in the backstore.

When people panic and want to stock up for 3 month...they create artificial shortage.

ES-tjZhXYAACuG3

I mean, like I said - it's a suggestion, but I'll pass myself.

BenchBrawl

Jul 26, 2010
Say I get a huge pile of food delivered to my door, any tips on cleaning all the items once at home?

Phil Parent

Sorel, 'fant d'chienne!
Feb 4, 2005
Sorel-Tracy, Quebec

Some do. Some don't. It's all about how much backstore there is, really.

buddahsmoka1

Nov 15, 2006
Are you healthy? Are you young? If you answer yes to these questions, what exactly will happen to you if you are exposed? The way I understand it, you are already bunkering yourself so what if you get sick? You will simply be, as you are right now, in isolation. And yeah, feeling unwell. Have you ever had the flu? Same symptoms. Now if you are scared of a disease, fine, ok. Myself I'm scared of heights. It happens. But please stop making everyone around you panic!

Like I said in the previous post. This myth that 'young healthy people are totally fine' is wrong.

Many - yes, health and young ones - are requiring hospitalization with serious lung complications. People as young as 30 are dying. This virus is more serious than the flu.

And it is categorically false that it has the same symptoms as the flu. It has some of the same symptoms - but this virus has a significantly higher (by orders of magnitude) of causing serious lung conditions that kill even otherwise healthy individuals.

The point of isolating yourself is not to get infected.

BenchBrawl

Jul 26, 2010
@buddahsmoka1 What's your personal protocol as far as going to take walks outside (at time when there isn't a lot of people in the streets)? Or will you stay home completely, 100%? As of now I'm doing 100% but might want to take a wlak, so I was wondering.

Ezpz

No mad pls
Apr 16, 2013
Small update for anyone following my progress. The recent closures don't affect my wife, as family members are excluded from the travel ban, but China's exit-entry bureau is preventing her from travelling without a 14-day quarantine because Kunming(where we are) got two new cases today from Spain and France. Not a welcome twist of fate but manageable. My dogs are still able to fly and my wife can stay with her sister or parents temporarily.

We actually met with a fortune teller/shaman a few months ago(family superstition they do it every year) who said this would be the unluckiest year of my life and absolutely nothing would go right. They also said my wife would be very lucky so I'm hoping she wins the lottery in the meantime. :help:

buddahsmoka1

Nov 15, 2006
Say I get a huge pile of food delivered to my door, any tips on cleaning all the items once at home?

I've been thinking about this a lot, because I've order a few things to be delivered to me. It's hard to say, I think the chances are low. But I'm just going to let it sit in a neutral space for a couple days to make sure. Disinfectant wipes would probably be a good idea.

@buddahsmoka1 What's your personal protocol as far as going to take walks outside (at time when there isn't a lot of people in the streets)? Or will you stay home completely, 100%? As of now I'm doing 100% but might want to take a wlak, so I was wondering.

I am staying home completely at the moment. I think it's possible to go for a walk late at night if you avoid people though. So far, I haven't been getting too restless, but I might in the future.

angusyoung

Back in the day, I was always horny!
Aug 17, 2014
Heirendaar
The supply chain is very effective....I’m no expert on all the category... but it take far less people then you think to make it work.

Sunday they called all the major supermarket/supplier in North America. Just to make sure their top priority is:

1- Health of the employee...to make sure we can get the job done
2- make sure no shortage happen

This is not a zombie scenario. Yes it will hurt...will get worse...but until it last very long...we will make it.

What I meant by the demand doesn’t really change... most companies have already forecasted 2020 demand...so the supply are planned accordingly.

And overall... I would easily bet demand will be lower. No tourist...less movement...less consumption.

Sorry if I make mistake...english is a weakness for me !

Looks flawless to me.:thumbu:

Reactions: Per Sjoblom

BenchBrawl

Jul 26, 2010
I've been thinking about this a lot, because I've order a few things to be delivered to me. It's hard to say, I think the chances are low. But I'm just going to let it sit in a neutral space for a couple days to make sure. Disinfectant wipes would probably be a good idea.

I am staying home completely at the moment. I think it's possible to go for a walk late at night if you avoid people though. So far, I haven't been getting too restless, but I might in the future.

My protocol is to wait for 6 days for items I brought with me in my last day of "freedom". I am between day 4 or 5 now. Maximum I've read in all the articles is 6 days so this is what I went with just to be safe. Unfortunately, food is more problematic, as I need to put some of it in the fridge assumingly.

Got you. I went for a walk earlier today, crossed path with one child playing basketball in the street, but I was at 7-8 meters easily.

Frank Drebin

He's just a child
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2004
Edmonton
The supply chain is very effective....I’m no expert on all the category... but it take far less people then you think to make it work.

Sunday they called all the major supermarket/supplier in North America. Just to make sure their top priority is:

1- Health of the employee...to make sure we can get the job done
2- make sure no shortage happen

This is not a zombie scenario. Yes it will hurt...will get worse...but until it last very long...we will make it.

What I meant by the demand doesn’t really change... most companies have already forecasted 2020 demand...so the supply are planned accordingly.

And overall... I would easily bet demand will be lower. No tourist...less movement...less consumption.

Sorry if I make mistake...english is a weakness for me !
Your English is great!

ProMath

Dec 13, 2010
Some do. Some don't. It's all about how much backstore there is, really.

Well,

Most IGA, Metro, SuperC... keep 2-3 days of inventory.

Most product are on the shelve only. Some (iga/metro/) own warehouse but most of them get daily delivery from the main supplier warehouse.

Inventory is not good for business.

Wallmart was the first to adopt JIT(just in time delivery) strategy if I’m not mistaken...everyone followed.

groovejuice

Without deviation progress is not possible
Jun 27, 2011
Calgary

My local IGA looked like a going-out-of-business sale was on. Shelves all over the store were completely bare. Among other things, transportation has been affected.

Reactions: Runner77

ProMath

Dec 13, 2010
My local IGA looked like a going-out-of-business sale was on. Shelves all over the store were completely bare. Among other things, transportation has been affected.

Nope.

For exemple:

Your store sell average of 200k food per day.

The manager make the order for tomorrow. He order around 200k of goods.

The next day people buy 500k of goods. Empty shelves everywhere.

IF the manage doesn't guess the next order right...he will miss again for at least a day. (Some only get delivery every 2 days/3days)

Delivery are not affected. The demand is simply doing hi and low.

The last week in USA was like a 4th of july (biggest week). Usually this is the worst period in term of sales. Demand won’t stay the same.

The people that bought 6 month of toilet paper...won’t buy it again in 2 month...the demand will be almost the same on the long run...except if your cat had fun with it.

Shabs

Nov 16, 2017
There was someone shot and killed in Mtl recently. Anyone hear it was a chinese person wearing a mask who was shot? This rumour is going around Chinese community in Ontario.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad