OT: 2019-nCov Part 3: No hockey, but are we fine? Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

Treb

Global Flanderator
May 31, 2011
Montreal
Continue here
Welcome to the COVID-19 Forum. This is going to be an all consuming subject for some time. We think it deserves its own forum.

This forum is not limited to hockey-related talk.

You may critique the response of government but don't make it political.
Posts attributing motives because it involves this or that political party/politician/ideology will not be tolerated.

Examples:
Allowed: "Trump doesn't know what he's doing, the response was too little too late"
Not Allowed: "The only reason the response was so slow was to keep the stock prices high so he can get reelected"

Allowed: "The media is over-reporting this and it's going to make things worse"
Not Allowed: "The liberal media is over-reporting this because they're trying to bring down Trump"

Miracle cures, home remedies, and medical advice should not be posted.

Be careful what you link to
, treat it like the trade forum we don't want to spread bad information.

How you're preparing, how this is affecting your community, news and information are the types of discussion this forum is for.

Pardon our dust we're going to be working out the kinks on this, if you have any recommendations or ideas you can send them to me VIA conversation message.

Last edited:

waffledave

waffledave, from hf
Aug 22, 2004
Montreal
And @Kriss E you are right that this many people get the common cold each year.

This thing is as contagious as the common cold. They are both coronaviruses. I am not telling you to buy all the TP but be fully prepared for 100s of millions of infections in 2020.

Shabs

Nov 16, 2017
I realized it was out and can't be contained a while ago. At first I thought the only thing to do was protect the most vulnerable. But I was wrong. It's important for everyone to self-quarantine to slow the spread of the disease so that we stagger the number of people who can be saved by respirators to meet the number of respirators we have. Which is ridiculously low. Someone told me China loaned italy 1000 respirators. We in Canada have 20 extra. Let that set in. One plane of infected would be catastrophic.

waffledave

waffledave, from hf
Aug 22, 2004
Montreal
That is very concerning. The company I work for is Chicago based. We fly to and from O'hare on a daily basis. Thankfully we were acquired by a massive European company that is taking this seriously. Already I have been working from home for most of the last year at least... was going to stop that but not for a while still I guess. They are telling us to work from home as long as we can. If that chnages, or they ask me to travel anywhere, I will quit on the spot.

Reactions: llamateizer

BenchBrawl

Jul 26, 2010
In France, half of the dead and those in ICU are under 50.

Were they vulnerable to begin with? That's important to know, because a young person with health issues is not necessarily stronger than an average old person.

get25

Oct 17, 2015
Seeing people posting that everything is going to be fine bugs me more.

Even if in Quebec we may handle it (hopefully) the mess in US and Europ is beyond description and IT IS GOING to GET WORST.

When I was posting about the r0(infection rate) and death rate, so many were coming with Flu, H1N1, SARS,
We can agree that these can not compare...

Betting came of as a reaction to people saying: Everything will be fine.

Some are trying to use this bet strategy to silence people.
(MOD)

Last edited by a moderator:

JtotheC

Apr 29, 2011
Montreal
Not many talk about one of the major implications of the virus, that being the use of hospital (health) resources. This article shows the dilemmas that Italian doctors are being faced with; who gets hospital bed?

"Those who are too old to have a high likelihood of recovery, or who have too low a number of “life-years” left even if they should survive, would be left to die. This sounds cruel, but the alternative, the document argues, is no better. “In case of a total saturation of resources, maintaining the criterion of ‘first come, first served’ would amount to a decision to exclude late-arriving patients from access to intensive care.”

The Extraordinary Decisions Facing Italian Doctors

Reactions: Kaperi Spacey

MasterDecoy

Who took my beer?
May 4, 2010
Beijing
reposting from old thread to show the lengths china went with this thing:

i still get my daily text from the government telling me about the infections, deaths, recoveries, inroads they are making bla bla bla. which is nice, but everyone knows is... heavily massaged. almost no new cases outside of wuhan. fun thing the government tends to do when mildly pushed, is blame foreigners. so they have, with no subtlety whatsoever, started to blame foreigners for all new infections in the country. i get old ayis spotting me and my giant ginger beard sticking out from under my facemask quickly changing side of the road. i have volunteers manning the gate at the entrance of my street - yeah, they've blocked the entire street so that only residents can enter - asking me where im from and when was the last time i was home. nothing like being rudely asked those questions by a man missing a few teeth.

really cool thing they've done though is instituted an automatic visa extension for 60 days for anyone whose visa might expire during this crisis. i gotta say, that's the either the nicest, most un-CCP thing ever, or a clever ploy to trick foreigners into overstaying their visas. we'll find out in two months.

editor's note: there's nowhere else to go anyway

they check your temperature going out of the compound where i live, going back into the compound going into markets and the likes.

social distancing is still in effect. "some" restaurants are still open but can only seat two per table; and they take your temperature going in as well as your personal details. the local restaurant in from of my building is only open to deliveries, but the german place i frequent is open until 2am, so i haven't quite figured that one out yet. bars and livehouses are still closed and no one knows when they'll open again. F&B industry in china is gonna get nuked. the chinese government has politely asked landlord to lower prices for this month and has offered interest free loans for chinese business that need it. but so far, everyone i've talked to says their landlord categorically refuses to lower rent and in most instances plan on raising it when the lease is up

schools are still closed. they plan on re-opening them one grade at a time starting next week i believe. no plan on restarting universities yet. my guess is they'll just cancel the summer holiday and have classes through it. those that work can remotely, do so. but overall, other than the social distancing thing, things are almost back to normal.

and finally, finaf***ingly, the government has straight up banned the sales of wild animals. so the kinds of markets where covid started wont be able to operate anymore. but no one thinks that'll stick. eating tiger dicks, or pangolins, or civet cats, or peacocks or pick an animal is so ingrained in the culture. the reason is always because they either give you a boner, or you receive the mystic energies of the animal. also they are expensive. and how else are you supposed to impress a client than by feeding him a peacock, then a fancy KTV room with your own private singers?

long rambling nonesense aside but, im fine, lady MD is fine, MD's cat army is fine, MD's rescue dog is fine. other than going for food, i haven't left the house since january 23rd. haven't seen any friend since then, just a complete lockdown. kind of used to it by now. as lady MD said: "two months together and i don't feel like i want to kill you? i think we'll be alright..."

so now the worst for me has passed, and now its a shitshow back home. so now im worried for my mom who has a compromised respiratory system, so now i gotta worry about that. ive been keeping her up to date so she's prepared, but you're only as prepared as the next person who isn't.

ironically, if all precautions are heeded and all the preventative measures work, then all you'll hear is about how it was just hysteria. china wouldn't willingly throw its entire economy down the shitter - which is exactly what happened - for hysteria. the entire country shutdown for a month, and then mostly shutdown for another. this virus is no joke, so be careful.

P.S., for those who are back home: WHAT THE f*** IS UP WITH THE TOILET PAPER HOARDING?

Milhouse40

Aug 19, 2010
I realized it was out and can't be contained a while ago. At first I thought the only thing to do was protect the most vulnerable. But I was wrong. It's important for everyone to self-quarantine to slow the spread of the disease so that we stagger the number of people who can be saved by respirators to meet the number of respirators we have. Which is ridiculously low. Someone told me China loaned italy 1000 respirators. We in Canada have 20 extra. Let that set in. One plane of infected would be catastrophic.

We helped China when it was time...now that they are getting back on their feet, they know the fight is not over and will help us if need be. They probably already producing a shitload of respirators, mask, equipement etc....it's the world factory after all.

Reactions: Shabs

PavelBrendl

Jul 9, 2013
Juárez int'l in Mexico City feeling the effects of the US' European flight ban. Wouldn't want to be stuck in that mess.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20200314-235253.png
    Screenshot_20200314-235253.png
    553.1 KB · Views: 6

SOLR

Jun 4, 2006
Toronto / North York
We are seeing similar numbers in other countries too. In Canada it is 70% of cases under the age of 60 in hospital.

Most of our cases are from travellers, this fits the travelling demo...might be different soon (I work in travel).

All I was saying is: I'm fully expecting France to have a lot more death per capita than Canada in the end. Italy also smokes a lot more and is older.

Reactions: MarkovsKnee
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad