OT: 2019-nCov Part 3: No hockey, but are we fine? Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

Redux91

I do Three bullets.
Sep 5, 2006
Kirkland, Montreal
I ordered about 3 weeks of food from Target today that will be delivered next week to re-up myself. Might be something to consider.

I find this way of thinking interesting seeing as how you mentioned the action of going to a grocery store that has had potential infected people inside of it all day as a reason for NOT going, I went earlier, I definitely had gloves on but its not like i was touching a bunch of stuff, went in, grabbed what i need real quick, got out, didnt touch anything I didnt need to lol

But for everyone now just locked in on ordering everything, be it fast food or even groceries... I would be more concerned with all the random people touching all the different kinds of stuff that are being sent DIRECTLY to me... ... especially things like skip the dishes... they are literally hovering their mouths and faces over your food...let alone touching it with their hands lol.

Different ways to think and go about this event, no doubt

Reactions: Paddyjack

get25

Oct 17, 2015
A vaccine is not something you order online and it says ''ETA: 18months''. All depends on research. I've heard anywhere from July until ''it's too late we are zombies''...
These posts are not helping whatsoever. What exactly are these accomplishing other than adding fear?
You have the link for a vaccine deployed in July?

Some seem to say that given the R0 we may need 85% herd immunity.

But let's say 60%...

You expect 60%, let's say 100,000,000 vaccine by the end of July? (assuming 60 millions infected then X 1.4% already dead)
Let's hope they get it by beginning of July, that they are already ramping up production now and that they will give 3 miilions doses per day with a healthcare collapsing in April, May and June.

Maybe I am adding fear but at the same time, I have a problem with fairy tale.
Sounds a lot like: "It will go away in summer".

So when the vaccine will be ready?
When will they have injected over 100,000,000 patients?

I goes like that:
vaccine appears - a miracle occurs - 160,000,000 are immune.

Not second wave, no mutation, nothing.
Just the great miracle in July.

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
You have the link for a vaccine deployed in July?

Some seem to say that given the R0 we may need 85% herd immunity.

But let's say 60%...

You expect 60%, let's say 100,000,000 vaccine by the end of July? (assuming 60 millions infected then X 1.4% already dead)
Let's hope they get it by beginning of July, that they are already ramping up production now and that they will give 3 miilions doses per day with a healthcare collapsing in April, May and June.

Maybe I am adding fear but at the same time, I have a problem with fairy tale.
Sounds a lot like: "It will go away in summer".

So when the vaccine will be ready?
When will they have injected over 100,000,000 patients?

I goes like that:
vaccine appears - a miracle occurs - 160,000,000 are immune.

Not second wave, no mutation, nothing.
Just the great miracle in July.

Well that was a waste of time, I don't expect a vaccine in July, no. Just said I heard a wide range of claims. July or in 18 months, it's irrelevant, let's just hope it gets here ahead of schedule...you know...let's be positive here.

My point was these posts of yours that are making everything sound worse are in poor taste. They achieve nothing good. The hell is the point in claiming 1289332812809210e102 will get infected, that in 5 months Planet Earth will be a wasteland, and it'll take at least a year before getting a vaccine?
What is the point outside of adding fear?

BenchBrawl

Jul 26, 2010
Nope.

For exemple:

Your store sell average of 200k food per day.

The manager make the order for tomorrow. He order around 200k of goods.

The next day people buy 500k of goods. Empty shelves everywhere.

IF the manage doesn't guess the next order right...he will miss again for at least a day. (Some only get delivery every 2 days/3days)

Delivery are not affected. The demand is simply doing hi and low.

The last week in USA was like a 4th of july (biggest week). Usually this is the worst period in term of sales. Demand won’t stay the same.

The people that bought 6 month of toilet paper...won’t buy it again in 2 month...the demand will be almost the same on the long run...except if your cat had fun with it.

Thank you for the information you have provided in the thread. The logistics are simple, yet it's good to hear them.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
My local IGA looked like a going-out-of-business sale was on. Shelves all over the store were completely bare. Among other things, transportation has been affected.

I bet you this guy showed up at your IGA. He's best known for his Costco hoarding but can strike anywhere:

fqqwohN.gif

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Some great news.

Roche Molecular Solutions received the green light to develop a Covid-19 test where you get results in less than 3 hours. The prior test required days since it was very manual labor intensive. That hindered how quickly they could turn the results around and the volume of tests that could be done.

They normally would have needed 12-18 months to develop the new test but they managed it in 7 weeks. It's ground-breaking.

The test was approved by the FDA at midnight on Friday. Over thirty labs across the US began receiving the tests over the weekend.

This means that Roche will make available 1.5 million tests per month.

Roche pulled it off by working around the clock around the world.

(Above comments gathered from ABC Nightline report. Looked for link but couldn't find it so I summarized the salient points from their report).

Reactions: MarkovsKnee and Seb

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Joe Rogan's interviews are usually very thorough and interesting. This one is with an infectious disease expert about Covid-19.

Reactions: MarkovsKnee

get25

Oct 17, 2015
Well that was a waste of time, I don't expect a vaccine in July, no. Just said I heard a wide range of claims. July or in 18 months, it's irrelevant, let's just hope it gets here ahead of schedule...you know...let's be positive here.

My point was these posts of yours that are making everything sound worse are in poor taste. They achieve nothing good. The hell is the point in claiming 1289332812809210e102 will get infected, that in 5 months Planet Earth will be a wasteland, and it'll take at least a year before getting a vaccine?
What is the point outside of adding fear?
That is you will create a vaccine in July?

BTW, I am trying to have my eyes opened.

But if you can post anything to contradict the experts that I have posted be my guest.

I want that general coronavirus vaccine to work but at this point they are just starting to test if people can survive the vaccine. Same guys are working on Remesdir for cure.
Best case this could start in 5 or 6 months...

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Of all the balcony entertainers in Italy, this guy took it up another notch:

:laugh:

get25

Oct 17, 2015
On the positive side US will probably do better than Iran, India, Pakistan, Brazil,Indonesia and Africa.

That is 3 billions people. 5% at best:

Habaneros

Habs Cup champs 2010
Oct 31, 2011
American coronavirus cases are where Italy was 2 weeks ago: U.S. surgeon general

The U.S. surgeon general said Monday that the number of coronavirus cases in the United States has reached the level that Italy recorded two weeks ago, a sign that infections are expected to rise in America as the government steps up testing and financial markets continue to fall.
“We are at a critical inflection point in this country, people. We are where Italy was two weeks ago in terms of our numbers,” U.S. Surgeon General Dr. Jerome Adams told Fox News. “When you look at the projections, there’s every chance that we could be Italy.”

McGuires Corndog

Pierre's favorite MONSTER performer
Feb 6, 2008
Montreal
He's talking about in terms of crisis...not sure how ''speed beats perfection'' in your every day life...that makes no sense.
Do you half cook your food because you want to be so quick to finish it? What?
You try to do all your work super fast instead of making sure the quality is on point??

Fast paced work environment where decisions have to be made and there’s no room for procrastination.

Yes, I apply this to cooking. :eyeroll:

Crusher117

Feb 2, 2013
Montreal
My favorite advice I heard from a doctor in NZ.
Do not change your behavior to lower your chances of infection but instead change your behavior as if you already have it and do not want to spread it to others.

Anyone have a link to that video? Can't seem to find it anymore.

Reactions: CreamOfTheCrop

HankyZetts

Twi2ted
Mar 16, 2004
He's talking about in terms of crisis...not sure how ''speed beats perfection'' in your every day life...that makes no sense.
Do you half cook your food because you want to be so quick to finish it? What?
You try to do all your work super fast instead of making sure the quality is on point??
There is no such thing as perfection, so if you are chasing it, it is wise to understand you will never catch it! This revelation will lead you to be more efficient.

You can't be considered proficient, if you aren't efficient.

CHfan1

Apr 23, 2012
The first testing in humans of an experimental vaccine for the new coronavirus began on Monday, the National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases announced.

The main goal of this first set of tests is to find out if the vaccine is safe. If it is, later studies will determine how well it works.

The trial was “launched in record speed,” Dr. Anthony Fauci, the institute’s director, said in a statement.

Such rapid development of a potential vaccine is unprecedented, and it was possible because researchers were able to use what they already knew about related coronaviruses that had caused other diseases outbreaks, SARS and MERS.

Despite the rapid progress, even if the vaccine is proved safe and effective against the virus, it will not be available for at least a year.

Trial of Coronavirus Vaccine Made by Moderna Begins in Seattle

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad