Line Combos: 2019 Line Combo Discussion Starter

DL44

Status quo
Sep 26, 2006
Roussel-Pettersson-Boeser
Pearson-Horvat-Miller
Baertschi-Sutter-Virtanen
Gaudette-Beagle-Motte

When healthy, I like this... (can even switch Miller and Roussel)

Reactions: Love

alternate

Win the week!
Jun 9, 2006
victoria
Miller Petey Boeser
Pearson Horvat Goldobin
Baer Gaudette Virtanen
Leivo Beagle Sutter

Why I have Leivo on the 4th line is because he is a good possession player. He will help get the puck out of the zone, Canucks spend less in the D zone.

Why I Have Goldobin on the second line is because Pearson and Horvat are shoot first player. Goldobin is the best playmaker out of everybody on the bottom 6. Let's not forgot Goldobin was on pace for close to 50 points in the first half of the season. Then Green decided to change his game and make him play like Tyler Motte. When that happened, Goldobin got confuse and a few healthy scratches, he couldn't recovered.

I see something like this as well. When Baer is hurt, Leivo can move up the lineup. Beagle-Sutter take all the defensive zone starts, both taking faceoffs on their strong side.

Hopefully Sutter's injuries are behind him. The groin and sports hernia have really affected his skating the past couple seasons. If he's healthy, I'd expect him to get back to around 15 goals. I also expect Beagle to be closer to double digits like he usually does.

There is a chance this line up sees a significant uptick in scoring, especially with improved puck moving from the back end.

Canucks1096

Feb 13, 2016
As of right now.

Miller Petey Boeser
Pearson Horvat Goldobin
Baer Sutter Virtanen
Leivo Beagle Eriksson

Motte Gaudette Schaller. One of these three stay. Other two AHL or waive
Rousell IR

Edler Stecher
Benn Myers
Hughes Tanev
Fantenberg Biega

I have Benn With Myers because Benn seem like a reliable D in his own zone. He can cover up some of Myers mistakes.

Stecher is ready for full time top 4 mins. Everytime Stecher has played w ithEdler. He has played well.

Tanev with Hughes because a rookie should have a reliable defensive partner. Hughes can do his offensive stuff. Less hard mins on Tanev so less chance he gets hurt.

With Baer and Leivo playing bottom 6. It should be a lot stronger this year.

Gaudette starts to on AHL, why? Second half Gaudette really struggle with the pace of the game. Was checked so easily off the puck and had hard time making quick decision with the puck.

Pp1

Hughes Boeser Petey Miller Horvat

Pp2

Edler Myers Baer Goldobin Pearson

Last edited:
Reactions: DFAC

Oleksiak

Jun 12, 2019
Victoria, BC
Miller-Pettersson-Boeser
Pearson-Horvat-Virtanen
Baertschi-Sutter-Leivo
MacEwen-Beagle-Motte
UFA

IR: Roussel

Utica: Schaller, Eriksson, Gaudette

Edler-Stecher
Hughes-Myers
Benn-Tanev
Fantenberg, Biega

Think we need one or 2 depth UFA forwards.

Reactions: Love

Horse McHindu

They call me Horse.....
Jun 21, 2014
Beijing
An alternative lifestyle approach to my line combinations.

Last night, I had a thought about Adam Gaudette while I was in the shower.

“Why haven’t the Canucks used this guy on RW on Horvat’s line?” He’d get more offensive opportunities and ice-time which would give him more of an opportunity to grow his game. My guess (and it’s just a guess), is that management has contemplated this, but don’t feel comfortable proceeding forward with this due to....

1) Gaudette not having very much junior experience as a winger.
2) wanting Gaudette to develop in his natural position.

IF Gaudette shows up to camp and appears to have made significant improvements, why not try the following?

Pettersson-Horvat-Boeser
Pearson-Gaudette-Miller

That top line could possibly be as good as WCE 2003 and SSB 2010-2011. At the same time, Gaudette could receive top 6 minute and wouldn’t have to play with Homophobic Slurs like Sutter, Goldobin, and Baertschi.

Having said that, I would ultimately proceed with the following:

Miller-Pettersson-Boeser
Pearson-Horvat-Gaudette

Last edited:

Fraser28

Jan 13, 2013
This is really the year for Virtanen to take a big step. Imagine if he could take the 2RW spot for years to come. This of course requires a Bertuzzi-esque development step ahead.

The Iron Goalie

Formally 'OEL for Norris'
Feb 8, 2012
Langley, BC
To start the season,

Miller, Pettersson, Boeser
Pearson, Horvat, Goldobin
Baertschi, Sutter, Leivo
Motte, Beagle, MacEwen
Schaller
Roussel (IR)
Eriksson + Virtanen (Traded. Together?)
Gaudette (AHL)

Edler, Myers
Hughes, Tanev
Benn, Stecher
Fantenberg, Biega

Markstrom
Demko

Post trade-deadline,

Miller, Pettersson, Boeser
Pearson, Horvat, Roussel
Baertschi, Gaudette, Leivo
Motte, Beagle, MacEwen
Goldobin (Traded/13th forward)
Sutter (Traded)
Schaller (AHL/13th forward)

Edler, Stecher
Hughes, Myers
Juolevi, Benn
Fantenberg, Biega
Tanev (Traded)

Markstrom
Demko

bh53

Sep 18, 2017
Victoria
Baertschi-Pettersson-Boeser
Pearson-Horvat-Miller
Roussel-Gaudette-Virtanen
Leivo-Beagle-Motte
MacEwan
Dump Sutter goldobin Schaller eriksson

Edler-Stecher
Hughes-Tanev
Benn-Myers
(Any of these pairings could be the top one)
Biega
Fatenberg (or however you spell it)

Markstrom
Demko

TruGr1t

Proper Villain
Jun 26, 2003
Largely agree with most here. Think Miller's destined to start the year with the top line, while Horvat will be with some combo involving Pearson. We'll see how long that lasts.

On defense, I can see the reasoning behind playing Hughes with Tanev, but I think Hughes may be paired with Myers so they can have heavier offensive deployment and avoid tough matchups as much as possible. It'll be easier to shelter one pair when you aren't worried about matchups with the other two.

Benn and Tanev could be a shutdown type pair, while Edler and Stecher have seemingly always performed well together. When Tanev gets injured it seems like Biega could slide in with Benn without too much drop off.

hellstick

Nov 2, 2006
Abbotsford
I'm on the ferry with nothing to do so I'll give this a shot:

Leivo - Pettersson - Boeser
Pearson - Horvat - JTM
Baertschi - Gaudette - Virtanen
Motte - Beagle - Sutter
Eriksson, Goldobin (?), MacEwen, Schaller, +Roussel

Things: There's a problem in our top 6. We'll try Leivo with Petey and Boeser, but this will be a revolving door of wingers with even a modicum of skill. I personally love the idea of JTM with Horvat, and I have concerns with Pearson replicating his production last year as Horvat's winger. I can see Pearson being a middle 6 winger, and could see him playing with Gaudette just as often. For the record, I really like the idea of Virtanen/Gaudette/Pearson as a third line. Speaking of Gaudette, I am not opposed to trying him as a winger in the top 6 either. I dont care much about our fourth line here, straight up PKers here with very minimal 5 in 5 time. Goldy needs to sign. Russel is out until Christmas and who knows if he'll be the same player. Schaller sucks. Throw him in the creek. I think the writing is on the wall for Eriksson here, an expensive AHLer or traded or contract terminated.

Edler - Stecher
Hughes - Myers
Benn - Tanev
Biega, Fantenburg

Stick Hughes with Myers. Let Hughes do his thing and Myers can, I suppose, shelter him a little? My dinosaur brain tells me to put the small guy with the big guy, but just let Hughes be a beauty out there, and Myers can be tough when needed. Edler and Stech together is an easy decision. Tanev can soak up some softer minutes for once and maybe, just maybe, avoid catastrophic injury. Biega will get in soon enough as the really good #7 that he is.

Luongo
Schneider

Best one-two punch in hockey. Markstrom and Demko sounds pretty good on paper too.

PP

Pettersson, Boeser, JTM, Horvat, Hughes/Edler

Gaudette, Baertschi, Pearson, Hughes/Edler, Stecher

PK

Beagle, Virtanen, Myers, Benn

Sutter, Motte, Edler, Tanev

Last edited:

forget

Jul 6, 2019
Goldy-Petey-Boeser
Pearson-Horvat-Miller
Bear-Gaudette-Virtanen
Leivo-Beagle-Macewen

When bear eventually gets injured move Leivo up and put motte on the 4th. Figure out some way to get rid of loui and Sutter. Roussel will have to fit somewhere but figure that out later.

Hughes-Stetcher
Edler-Myers
Benn-Tanev

Eventually Tanev will be injured so Biega can take his place. I would also hope Joulevi makes some noise and he can get some time on the team as well.

Alexander Edler

Dec 9, 2015
Vancouver BC
I'm on the ferry with nothing to do so I'll give this a shot:

Leivo - Pettersson - Boeser
Pearson - Horvat - JTM
Baertschi - Gaudette - Virtanen
Motte - Beagle - Sutter
Eriksson, Goldobin (?), MacEwen, Schaller, +Roussel

Things: There's a problem in our top 6. We'll try Leivo with Petey and Boeser, but this will be a revolving door of wingers with even a modicum of skill. I personally love the idea of JTM with Horvat, and I have concerns with Pearson replicating his production last year as Horvat's winger. I can see Pearson being a middle 6 winger, and could see him playing with Gaudette just as often. For the record, I really like the idea of Virtanen/Gaudette/Pearson as a third line. Speaking of Gaudette, I am not opposed to trying him as a winger in the top 6 either. I dont care much about our fourth line here, straight up PKers here with very minimal 5 in 5 time. Goldy needs to sign. Russel is out until Christmas and who knows if he'll be the same player. Schaller sucks. Throw him in the creek. I think the writing is on the wall for Eriksson here, an expensive AHLer or traded or contract terminated.

Edler - Stecher
Hughes - Myers
Benn - Tanev
Biega, Fantenburg

Stick Hughes with Myers. Let Hughes do his thing and Myers can, I suppose, shelter him a little? My dinosaur brain tells me to put the small guy with the big guy, but just let Hughes be a beauty out there, and Myers can be tough when needed. Edler and Stech together is an easy decision. Tanev can soak up some softer minutes for once and maybe, just maybe, avoid catastrophic injury. Biega will get in soon enough as the really good #7 that he is.

Luongo
Schneider

Best one-two punch in hockey. Markstrom and Demko sounds pretty good on paper too.

PP

Pettersson, Boeser, JTM, Horvat, Hughes/Edler

Gaudette, Baertschi, Pearson, Hughes/Edler, Stecher

PK

Beagle, Virtanen, Myers, Benn

Sutter, Motte, Edler, Tanev
Hughes and Myers would be funny yes but playing together that would be a horrible unit. Need someone to shelter Hughes defensively thats why Schenn worked so well. So who to pair with him? Tanev but he is to injury prone, its a real tough one but defo not Myers.

Blue and Green

Out to lunch
Dec 17, 2017
Last night, I had a thought about Adam Gaudette while I was in the shower.
“Why haven’t the Canucks used this guy on RW on Horvat’s line?”
1) Gaudette not having very much junior experience as a winger.
2) wanting Gaudette to develop in his natural position.

3) Gaudette getting crushed in extremely sheltered minutes and having no business in the top-6.

LuckyBoeser

Oct 8, 2018
Hughes and Myers would be funny yes but playing together that would be a horrible unit. Need someone to shelter Hughes defensively thats why Schenn worked so well. So who to pair with him? Tanev but he is to injury prone, its a real tough one but defo not Myers.
When a Tanev injury occurs then Green could try a Hughes-Benn pairing to provide Hughes the defensive presence he requires. Benn can play RD if needed.

Love

Feb 29, 2012
If Virtanen is on Horvat’s wing for a full season he’ll score 20

Canucks1096

Feb 13, 2016
If Virtanen is on Horvat’s wing for a full season he’ll score 20

I disagree because it's proven that Virtanen points doesn't increase when he plays with skill players.

This year Virtanen had 23 esp. 10 of those was with Horvat/Pettersson and other 13 P was when he was playing bottom 6.

Petey/Horvat total 380 mins
Sutter/Beagle/Gaudette total 433 mins. That mean around half of the season he was playing top 6/bottom 6.

If Virtanen production doesn't change when giving top 6 mins. I think it better to use Virtanen in the bottom 6.

Elite Grinder

Dec 6, 2011
Purgatory
Some notes:

-Pearson: I don’t understand why many posters have Pearson playing on RW. He’s a LW’er and doesn’t have a whole lot of experience playing on his off-wing.

-Eriksson = done: Like most of you, I suspect that Eriksson is done as a Canuck. He’ll either not report to camp (making him a UFA) or will be biting boners down there in Utica.

-Gaudette or Sutter......not both: I think only one of Gaudette or Sutter will be on the team. If Gaudette impresses in training camp, the Canucks will proceed forward with Gaudette, and Sutter will be moved or traded (for a pick.....clear cap space). If Gaudette can’t be as good or close to Sutter’s level, then I suspect Gaudette will be sent to Utica.

-Myers will play with Edler 5 on 5, and with Hughes on the PP. To limit Myers’ defensive weaknesses, I think he will play with Edler 5 on 5. This will also allow the Canucks to have a very strong top 5 for their entire 1st line (Miller-EP-BB-TM-AE). I suspect that the first PP will consist of Hughes and Myers. Edler will be taken off the 1st PP so that he can rest his body a little and be less susceptible to injuries.

Miller-Pettersson-Boeser
Pearson-Horvat-[Leivo/Virtanen]
[Baertschi/Goldobin]-[Gaudette/Sutter]-[Virtanen/Leivo]
Motte-Beagle-MacEwan

Roussel.

Roussel replaces Motte or MacEwan when he returns.

Edler-Myers
Hughes-Tanev
Benn-Stecher

Fandango (or whatever that new guy’s name is....Oscar somebody).

Markstrom
Demko

This is how I see it as well.....for good or bad.

It's the only way I see the defence working. A defensively responsible d-man paired with a more offensively minded partner.

jonnygf40

Oct 23, 2009
Miller Pettersson Boeser
Pearson Horvat Virtanen
Baerstchi Gaudette Sutter
Roussell Beagle Motte

Edler Stecher
Hughes Tanev
Benn Myers

Reactions: Disappointed EP40

ProstheticConscience

Check dein Limit
Apr 30, 2010
Canuck Nation
Miller Pettersson Boeser
Pearson Horvat Goldobin
jumbled mishmash of whoever
jumbled mishmash of lesser whoevers

Edler Myers
Hughes Tanev
Benn Stecher

I think they start the season with Myers and Miller at the top position in the roster. After spending all that money, they have to have something to show for it. Miller will be welded to Pete and Brock; can easily see him surpassing his previous point totals. Myers...I don't. But once he crashes and burns on the top pairing, who do you pair him with? A raw rookie in Hughes, or are you going to pay $6 million to play him alongside Benn on the bottom pair?

Once Tanev and Edler go down with their usual array of ailments, the fun will really start. As it always does.

I'm not even going to try to guess at the bottom six. Leivo, Beagle, Motte are locks, which leaves Virtanen, Gaudette, Sutter, Baertschi (who's probably gone to LTIR by November latest) Eriksson and Schaller to bang away for the last few spots. Who knows how they'll line up from one game to the next.

kanuck87

Oct 12, 2008
Need to put either Goldobin or Baertschi on the top line. Both are useless on any other line.

Miller can play with Horvat and Pearson

iFan

May 5, 2013
Calgary
Need to put either Goldobin or Baertschi on the top line. Both are useless on any other line.

Miller can play with Horvat and Pearson

Goldobin hasn’t shown anything to be given top line or top 6 mins, Baertschi has chemistry with Horvat so if he’s healthy that’s where he should be. Baertschi career is likely finished, 5 concussions is pretty serious. Evan if he does play he’s high risk to miss many many games.

Canucks1096

Feb 13, 2016
Goldobin hasn’t shown anything to be given top line or top 6 mins, Baertschi has chemistry with Horvat so if he’s healthy that’s where he should be. Baertschi career is likely finished, 5 concussions is pretty serious. Evan if he does play he’s high risk to miss many many games.

Sure Goldobin has, Goldobin put up 23 P in his first 39 games last year. Close to a 50 point pace. That is definitely top 6 production, sure it's not a full season but that stretch is better than a lot of other players on the team.

The turning point of Goldobin season was those healthy scratches, after that, Goldobin couldn't recovered.

If Green didnt want Goldobin to play more like Motte. I think it's fair to say he would ended the season with a lot more points.

Canucks1096

Feb 13, 2016
Miller Pettersson Boeser
Pearson Horvat Goldobin
jumbled mishmash of whoever
jumbled mishmash of lesser whoevers

Edler Myers
Hughes Tanev
Benn Stecher

I think they start the season with Myers and Miller at the top position in the roster. After spending all that money, they have to have something to show for it. Miller will be welded to Pete and Brock; can easily see him surpassing his previous point totals. Myers...I don't. But once he crashes and burns on the top pairing, who do you pair him with? A raw rookie in Hughes, or are you going to pay $6 million to play him alongside Benn on the bottom pair?

Once Tanev and Edler go down with their usual array of ailments, the fun will really start. As it always does.

I'm not even going to try to guess at the bottom six. Leivo, Beagle, Motte are locks, which leaves Virtanen, Gaudette, Sutter, Baertschi (who's probably gone to LTIR by November latest) Eriksson and Schaller to bang away for the last few spots. Who knows how they'll line up from one game to the next.

I agree on the top 2 lines.

I wouldn't play Myers with Edler, if you do that means Myers is on the shut down pairing. He will struggle, I would put.Myers and Benn together. Benn is reliable defensively and can covered up some of Myers mistakes. Hughes with Tanev and Edler with Stecher.

Reactions: Disappointed EP40

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
The issue for me is what happens if Gaudette dramatically outplays Sutter in the pre-season and a couple of the young wingers step up and make it impossible for the Canucks to send them down in order to keep Eriksson on the roster.

Would Jimbo have the gonads to bury both of them in the minors?

Ad

Upcoming events

• Toulouse vs Montpellier
    Toulouse vs Montpellier
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $246.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Hoffenheim vs RB Leipzig
    Hoffenheim vs RB Leipzig
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $8,351.00