Boesser Petterson Virtanen
Pearson Horvat JTM
Roussel Sutter Erickson
Baerschi Beagle Spooner

Edler Tanev
Stetcher Hutton
Hughes Tryamkin (Schenn if no Tryamkin)
Juolevi and Woo upcoming.

I think we have the blue line covered and will be in playoff contention if Tryamkin works out. I am glad we drafted a high upside forward, which is where we are going to need more depth to be a serious playoff threat.

As I said a lot of last year and even more so this year. Put Virtanen on with Petterson. Reasoning. If Jake works out there we get great value for a player with some real gifts but some real weaknesses. If he doesn't work out there hopefully we can peddle him for over his value based on his first line experience and fire hydrant production with Petterson.

If Tryamkin doesn't show or doesn't work out we are going to need Juolevi to make a spectacular transition to have any chance to be a serious contender.

Finally, I thought Schenn was clearly the best of the middle of the road cast of thousands we seem to have.

MarkMM

Jan 30, 2010
Delta, BC
Miller – Petersson – Boesser
Pearson – Horvat – Goldobin
Leivo – Sutter/Beagle – Virtanen
Roussel – Beagle/Gaudette – Eriksson
Baertschi (if he returns, otherwise maybe MacEwan can be the 13th)

Edler – Tanev
Hutton – Stecher
Hughes – Schenn
Biega

Markstrom
Demko

(Question for me is whether Gaudette makes the team, and if we can unload Sutter for a pick (maybe with salary retained we can get a decent pick). Later on in the season if we're looking like not making the playoffs ransom off Tanev and Markstrom for picks to hopefully mitigate the loss of the 1st we gave up for Miller (and re: Markstrom so we don't lose him for nothing in expansion). Probably need to pick up another goalie to platoon a 1A/1B position to buffer Demko a bit.

Pastor Of Muppetz

Oct 1, 2017
Boesser Petterson Virtanen
Pearson Horvat JTM
Roussel Sutter Erickson
Baerschi Beagle Spooner

Edler Tanev
Stetcher Hutton
Hughes Tryamkin (Schenn if no Tryamkin)
Juolevi and Woo upcoming.

I think we have the blue line covered and will be in playoff contention if Tryamkin works out. I am glad we drafted a high upside forward, which is where we are going to need more depth to be a serious playoff threat.

As I said a lot of last year and even more so this year. Put Virtanen on with Petterson. Reasoning. If Jake works out there we get great value for a player with some real gifts but some real weaknesses. If he doesn't work out there hopefully we can peddle him for over his value based on his first line experience and fire hydrant production with Petterson.

If Tryamkin doesn't show or doesn't work out we are going to need Juolevi to make a spectacular transition to have any chance to be a serious contender.

Finally, I thought Schenn was clearly the best of the middle of the road cast of thousands we seem to have.
Tryamkin and Juolevi are both wildcards...Gut feeling that Tryamkin might not be as good as everyone remembers (and what are his demands going to be as to how much he gets played?)..Might be here at the tail end of this season, but most likely starts the 2020-21 season.

Having Juolevi make the jump to the NHL would be a bonus..(hopefully, midway through the season).....Him still having 2 more years on his ELC is a plus as well.

Horse McHindu

They call me Horse.....
Jun 21, 2014
Beijing
Miller-Pettersson-Boeser
Pearson-Horvat-Goldobin
Baertschi-Gaudette-Virtanen
Roussel-Beagle-Sutter

Edler-Stecher
Hutton-Myers
Hughes-Tanev

Markstrom
Demko

Havre

Jul 24, 2011
At least the first line looks good on paper.

Hope poor Horvat will find some chemistry with whatever is left. When Pod arrives the top 6 could actually work.

The rest probably not, but...

Horse McHindu

They call me Horse.....
Jun 21, 2014
Beijing

Hope poor Horvat will find some chemistry with whatever is left. When Pod arrives the top 6 could actually work.

Horvat and Pearson showed very good chemistry last year.

Havre

Jul 24, 2011
Horvat and Pearson showed very good chemistry last year.

Yeah. Early days, but hopefully that is something that could work.

Not that the team will look like that when Pod comes over, but first time for a long long time it looks half decent (even if I personally think the J.T. trade was very very poor).

Bankerguy

Apr 28, 2013
Horvat JTM and Pearson would be a very very good line.
Just find a legit top 6 LW for Pettersson and you're good.

DL44

Status quo
Sep 26, 2006
Roussel will be on IR for the start of the season with his ACL...
Miller - primarily listed as a RW where I've looked... so...

Pearson - Horvat - Miller --- Should be the heavy min matchup, top line...
Baertschi-Pettersson-Boeser --- Initially the ozone heavy usage line..
(Eriksson) - Sutter - Virtanen --- dzone, matchup... LE holding Roussel's spot till healthy

Then it's whoever gets a contract, survives camp to earn a spot to play with Beagle : Schaller, Motte, Spooner, Gaudette, Leivo, Goldobin, Granlund. Too early still... have to see where the contracts fall into place after the first week of July.

Edler - UFA?
Hughes - Tanev
(Hutton) - Stecher
/Juolevi, Biega, and the other AHL options..

At least Goaltending is known.... Marky/Demko

Reactions: jeromemorrow

elitepete

Jan 30, 2017
Vancouver
I think Roussel should be with EP. They had chemistry last year and he is good at retrieving pucks, creating space, getting dirty goals, etc. He is also surprisingly fast.

And he can protect EP too.

Reactions: Love

Horse McHindu

They call me Horse.....
Jun 21, 2014
Beijing
I think Roussel should be with EP. They had chemistry last year and he is good at retrieving pucks, creating space, getting dirty goals, etc. He is also surprisingly fast.

And he can protect EP too.

Roussel is a decent option, but I think the Canucks wanted someone with more offensive ability + the ability to get dirty, retrieve pucks, etc.

J.T. Miller is that guy.

Horse McHindu

They call me Horse.....
Jun 21, 2014
Beijing
Given the strange Hutton rumor that has been floating (ie Canucks won’t qualify him), I’m of the opinion that the Canucks have Gardiner in the bag, based on the interview that the Canucks has with Gardiner. I just can’t see Benning taking such a huge risk with Hutton, Incase they had some kind of inside track. I also don’t think the Canucks will risk having Hughes be the 2nd pairing guy so soon.....nor would they have an unproven Juolevi or a crappy Sautner as the 3rd pairing D if they had realistic aspirations of making the playoffs.

I think the Canucks have Gardiner in the bag, but I could be wrong.

Miller-Pettersson-Boeser
Pearson-Horvat-[Leivo or Goldobin]
[Leivo or Goldobin]-Beagle-Sutter

Roussel (LTIR)

Edler-Stecher
Gardiner-Tanev
Hughes-[Schenn/Jordie Benn]

Markstrom
Demko

(Defense if they proceed with Myers instead of Gardiner)

Edler-Myers
Hughes-Tanev
[Juolevi or Sautner]-Stecher

Given the age, style of play, injury history, and term/money that Myers will want (and is allegedly asking for), I can’t see the Canucks proceeding forward with Myers.

I think there’s a strong possibility that we’ve reached a verbal agreement with Gardiner.

Last edited:

elitepete

Jan 30, 2017
Vancouver
Roussel is a decent option, but I think the Canucks wanted someone with more offensive ability + the ability to get dirty, retrieve pucks, etc.

J.T. Miller is that guy.
If EP and Boeser are on a line together, the 3rd guy doesn’t need that much offensive ability. I mean you can’t just put a Tim Schaller there, and the guy needs to be able to skate and handle the puck, but it should be a guy that brings elements that the other 2 don’t, and that’s all you really need.

And then we could put Miller with Horvat, which would balance the lines. (Also because I feel bad for Horvat having scrubs as wingers for so long)

hellstick

Nov 2, 2006
Abbotsford
In theory, I think I like JTM with Horvat more than Pettersson, but we'll see how this all shakes out. There still looks like a huge hole on Pettersson's LW, but hopefully we can fill that hole internally with someone like Goldy or Leivo or whatever. Or maybe... Panarin (lol).

VintageBure

Jun 7, 2018
Baer - Petey - Boeser
Pearson - Horvat - Miller
Leivo - Sutter - Virtanen
Roussel - Beagle - Motte

Edler - Tanev
Hughes - (UFA signing)
Stetcher - Biega

Marky/Demko

Variables are obviously Hutton and the free agent signing. Fully expect the canucks to land who they believe is a top 4 Dman. Could also resign Schenn. I expect Eriksson to be bought out. Guadette could also be in the opening roster if another forward is moved or placed on the bench but I don't see any glaring oppertunities unless someone is moved or injured. Could also switch Leivo and Baerschi.

I'm a terrible speller. :laugh:

Horse McHindu

They call me Horse.....
Jun 21, 2014
Beijing
If EP and Boeser are on a line together, the 3rd guy doesn’t need that much offensive ability. I mean you can’t just put a Tim Schaller there, and the guy needs to be able to skate and handle the puck, but it should be a guy that brings elements that the other 2 don’t, and that’s all you really need.

And then we could put Miller with Horvat, which would balance the lines. (Also because I feel bad for Horvat having scrubs as wingers for so long)

Very good points. Will be interesting to see what Green does. Miller’s style also does seem like it will complement Horvat and Pearson’s game.

Spectrefire

Jan 3, 2013

I know the plan is to have Miller with Petey and stack the first line, but he seems like a player who'd work extremely well with Horvat and would balance out the top-2 lines.

Leivo/Goldobin/McEwen - Petey - Boesser
Pearson - Horvat - Miller
Roussel - Gaudette - Virtanen
Leivo/McEwen/ - Beagle - Motte

Edler - Stecher
Hughes - Tanev
??? - ???

Markstrom
Demko

McEwen on the top line is obviously way too pre-mature, but he might actually be a good fit there. He's proving to have an offensive upside in Utica, he's a big body with wheels, who isn't afraid to knock some sense into the opposing team, and most important, the guy is incredibly coachable and I think he can be molded into a perfect net front monster for Petey.

Cogburn

Pretend they're yachts.
May 28, 2010
Vancouver
Pearson-Horvat-Miller
Baertschi-Petterson-Boeser
Roussel-Gaudette-Virtanen

And this is where it gets hard for me.
Eriksson/Sutter/UFA/Gadjovich-Beagle-MacEwen

Edler-Myers
Gardiner/Hutton-Tanev
Hughes-Stecher
Brisebois/Juolevi/Sautner-Biega

Motte and Leivo and whoever isn't in that 4th line LW spot can be not signed or kept in the minors or used as some manor of spare.

I'd also love to see something like:
Pettersson-Horvat-Pearson
Baertschi/UFA-Miller-Boeser
Just for laughs mostly.

Reactions: Disappointed EP40

Horse McHindu

They call me Horse.....
Jun 21, 2014
Beijing
The only way we have a chance of making the playoffs is if we Sign both Gardiner and Myers (or Gardiner and Stralman).

Miller-Pettersson-Boeser
Pearson-Horvat-[Goldobin or Leivo]
[NewGuyUtica]-Beagle-Sutter

[Goldobin or Leivo] Roussel (IR)

Edler-Stecher
Gardiner-Myers
Hughes-Tanev

Markstrom
Demko

Affording BOTH Gardiner and Myers will be extremely difficult, but not impossible. It’s not an ideal cap situation to Sign both, but if Benning’s goal is to make the playoffs right now, then having BOTH Gardiner and Myers is our only realistic shot.

If the Canucks can Sign Gardiner and Myers, AND find a way to re-up all of Pettersson, Hughes, and Markstrom, then I think we’ll be in good shape and will be trending in the right direction.

Before this season:
1) Madden + Eriksson to Ottawa for a 7th. Unfortunately, this would be something we’d have to do if we Sign both Gardiner and Myers.
2) Boeser = 8M, Gardiner = 7.5M, Myers = 7M

After 2019-2020:
1) Markstrom + Spooner + Schaller + Tanev = off the books.
2) Spooner and Schaller money goes to Markstrom
3) Tanev money goes to Tryamkin
4) Bridge for Gaudette
5) Trade Virtanen for a draft pick

After 2020-2021
1) Edler + Sutter + Pearson + (Baertschi and Demko? I’m not sure here. Can’t see cap friendly, etc.) = off the books or RFA status.
2) Edler and Sutter money goes to Pettersson.
3) Demko gets moved for a draft pick.
4) Pearson + Baertschi + Demko money + some extra money goes to Hughes

After 2021-2022
1) Beagle and Roussel go off the books. Save this money for when Horvat reaches UFA.

Again, this math is really half-assed, but I believe the above plan would be the best plan to follow given this management’s short term and long term goals.

Ps - Gardiner + Stralman would give us a little bit more cap flexibility. Stralman would likely be 4 million + 3 years (I think we would have to give him that 3rd year.....which might piss Edler off, lol). My only concern about Stralman is his recent injury history, and if he’d be able to be a legit top 4 dman for very long.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad