Line Combos: 2019 Line Combo Discussion Starter

Bettman Returnz

Why so serious?
Jul 28, 2003
BC
Visit site
I would stay away from UFA forwards for now.

With Pod and or Hog likely being ready in two years, it wouldn’t make sense to spend money on a UFA forward.

The Canucks need to spend some very significant money on top 4 dmen.
No one said anything about signing a UFA to long term deal. Not to mentions this Miller trade now puts the pressure on us to make playoffs either this season or next. Maybe one of virtanen, Leivo, baertschi, etc can fill that spot but....

Horse McHindu

They call me Horse.....
Jun 21, 2014
Beijing
No one said anything about signing a UFA to long term deal. Not to mentions this Miller trade now puts the pressure on us to make playoffs either this season or next. Maybe one of virtanen, Leivo, baertschi, etc can fill that spot but....

True, what realistic “two year” UFA options are there? There’s no way a guy like Nyquist agrees to that term. I think your “2 year” guys would be like your Corey Perry’s and anyone else that is geriatric (Thomas Vanek types?).

Unfortunately, given the cap world and our cap space (limited), we have to think more in terms of probabilities:

What’s the most and least likeliest to occur?

-Injuries to Edler and Tanev at some point during the season?
-someone like Gaudette, Leivo, Virtanen, or Goldobin being decent enough to ride shotgun on the top 6?
-If the Canucks have a successful season this coming year, someone like Podkolzin gets excited and works with the Canucks to break his KHL contract and head over here.
-someone like Sautner, Brisebois, or Schenn being good enough to fill in on a top 4 defensive role Incase of injuries?

I would argue that the last point is the least likeliest.

That’s why even though we still need some work up front, I would personally choose to invest our remaining cap space in both Gardiner and Myers. It’s our biggest and most pressing need.

Canadian Canuck

Hughes4Calder
Jul 30, 2013
Kamloops BC
I would stay away from UFA forwards for now.

With Pod and or Hog likely being ready in two years, it wouldn’t make sense to spend money on a UFA forward.

The Canucks need to spend some very significant money on top 4 dmen.
We need another top 6 forward though. I wish we’d target Pavelski on a two year high salary deal

DonnyNucker

Mar 28, 2017
Boesser Petterson Virtanen
Pearson Horvat JTM
Roussel Sutter Erickson
Baerschi Beagle Spooner

Edler Tanev
Stetcher Hutton
Hughes Tryamkin (Schenn if no Tryamkin)
Juolevi and Woo upcoming.

I think we have the blue line covered and will be in playoff contention if Tryamkin works out. I am glad we drafted a high upside forward, which is where we are going to need more depth to be a serious playoff threat.

As I said a lot of last year and even more so this year. Put Virtanen on with Petterson. Reasoning. If Jake works out there we get great value for a player with some real gifts but some real weaknesses. If he doesn't work out there hopefully we can peddle him for over his value based on his first line experience and fire hydrant production with Petterson.

If Tryamkin doesn't show or doesn't work out we are going to need Juolevi to make a spectacular transition to have any chance to be a serious contender.

Finally, I thought Schenn was clearly the best of the middle of the road cast of thousands we seem to have.
Virtanen with Elias? Not cool man. Don’t f*** with Elias. And in what twisted universe is Loui on this team over Guadette?

Reactions: Canucks1096

Bettman Returnz

Why so serious?
Jul 28, 2003
BC
Visit site
True, what realistic “two year” UFA options are there? There’s no way a guy like Nyquist agrees to that term. I think your “2 year” guys would be like your Corey Perry’s and anyone else that is geriatric (Thomas Vanek types?).

Unfortunately, given the cap world and our cap space (limited), we have to think more in terms of probabilities:

What’s the most and least likeliest to occur?

-Injuries to Edler and Tanev at some point during the season?
-someone like Gaudette, Leivo, Virtanen, or Goldobin being decent enough to ride shotgun on the top 6?
-If the Canucks have a successful season this coming year, someone like Podkolzin gets excited and works with the Canucks to break his KHL contract and head over here.
-someone like Sautner, Brisebois, or Schenn being good enough to fill in on a top 4 defensive role Incase of injuries?

I would argue that the last point is the least likeliest.

That’s why even though we still need some work up front, I would personally choose to invest our remaining cap space in both Gardiner and Myers. It’s our biggest and most pressing need.
I believe we need to focus on our D... and if we can trade a/few bottom 6 players to get any asset (even future considerations) then we need to do that. Cap space and flexibility is important. Right now we have a lot of “what-ifs” that you cant really bank on...

Tables of Stats

Nov 1, 2011
Vancouver, BC
I have a feeling that our forwards are pretty set, with any deals being to move certain forwards away from the team. The defense is far less set but here's what we have so far.

Goldobin - Pettersson - Boeser
Baertschi - Horvat - Miller
Roussel - Beagle - Virtanen
Pearson - Gaudette - Sutter
Eriksson, Leivo, Schaller, Spooner, Perron

Edler - Tanev
??? - Stetcher
Hughes - ???
Biega - Schenn

Markstrom
Demko

My hope would be to move Sutter, Eriksson, Schaller, and Spooner or at least two of the four and bury the rest in the AHL. Motte and Perron should be safe bets to start in the AHL just based on who we have signed already. If Baertschi is done bump Pearson into his spot and Leivo into the 4th line LW position.

With no moves, I expect that Eriksson stays up with the big club and could see us carrying 2 extra forwards this season to keep Leivo up.

Mr Plow

Apr 15, 2016
Miller-Pettersson-Boeser
Pearson-Horvat-Baertschi
Roussell-Gaudette-Virtanen
Eriksson-Beagle-Sutter
Goldobin, Motte

Edler-Stecher
UFA-Tanev
Hughes-Schenn
Biega

Still a lot of dead weight but I would rather keep it than give away assets to get rid of it. Hopefully one of Sutter or Baertschi plays their way back into a positive asset.

Bertuzzzi44

Jun 26, 2018
Miller-Pettersson-Boeser
Pearson-Horvat-Leivo
Baertschi-Gaudette-Virtanen
Ericksson-Beagle-Sutter
Goldobin/Motte/Roussel*

Edler-Stecher
Hughes-Tanev
Nemeth-Benn
Juolevi-Schenn

Markstrom
Demko

*injured

Last edited:

Bertuzzzi44

Jun 26, 2018
Miller-Pettersson-Boeser
Pearson-Horvat-Goldobin
Baertschi-Gaudette-Virtanen
Roussel-Beagle-Sutter

Edler-Stecher
Hutton-Myers
Hughes-Tanev

Markstrom
Demko

Where’s Leivo? Would be nice to have Eriksson’s contract vanish, unfortunately it’s not happening.

Mr. Canucklehead

Kitimat Canuck
Dec 14, 2002
Kitimat, BC
Knowing what we know now, I’m thinking...

Miller - Pettersson - Boeser
Baertschi - Horvat - Pearson
Leivo - Sutter - Virtanen
Schaller - Beagle - Motte
Extra: Goldobin
IR: Roussel

Edler - Hughes
Tanev - Myers
Stecher - Benn
Extra: Biega

Markstrom
Demko

Plan seems to be for Gaudette to start in Utica in a starring role. Barring injuries, I think that’s where he goes.

If MacEwen has a strong camp, could see him supplanting Schaller on the fourth line.

Leivo stays in the lineup by virtue of Roussel being on the shelf to start the year. His game fits a bottom six role more than Goldobin’s does. But any injuries in the top six (looking at you, Sven...) and Goldobin could draw in.

On defense, Fantenberg and Sautner will be dispatched to Utica. Hopefully both clear waivers so they can be helpful down there.

Canucks1096

Feb 13, 2016
I think Roussel should be with EP. They had chemistry last year and he is good at retrieving pucks, creating space, getting dirty goals, etc. He is also surprisingly fast.

And he can protect EP too.

Rousell only played 67 mins with Petey. They were only in on one goal together. Petey goal from an assist by Rousell.

Rousell had some chensitry with Horvat last year.

ErrantShepherd

Nostalgic despite the Bad
Dec 2, 2018
...Canada, eh?
Knowing what we know now, I’m thinking...

Miller - Pettersson - Boeser
Baertschi - Horvat - Pearson
Leivo - Sutter - Virtanen
Schaller - Beagle - Motte
Extra: Goldobin

Edler - Hughes
Tanev - Myers
Stecher - Benn

Markstrom
Demko

Close to what I could see...

Miller - Pettersson - Boeser (Best forward for the top line, gives them essentially a Horvat lite)
Baertschi - Horvat - Pearson (Hopefully Baertschi can remain healthy, if not slot in Goldobin)
Leivo - Sutter/Gaudette - Virtanen (Trade Sutter and let Gaudette play, or wait till Sutter's inevitable injury, Leivo and Virtanen can move up and down if need be)
Goldobin - Beagle - Motte (Goldobin can hopefully move up the lineup, but deserves to be in over Eriksson if we want to develop him more)
Extra: Eriksson
(Schaller was put on waivers earlier, so hopefully stays in Utica, Would be nice to dump Eriksson but we aren't there yet)

Edler - Stecher (All situations pairing, less wearing down both Tanev AND Edler at the same time)
Hughes - Myers (Easier O zone minutes for the kid and the giant, play to their strengths)
Benn - Tanev (Harder D zone minutes, as Benn is better at that than Myers)

Markstrom
Demko

Horse McHindu

They call me Horse.....
Jun 21, 2014
Beijing
Some notes:

-Pearson: I don’t understand why many posters have Pearson playing on RW. He’s a LW’er and doesn’t have a whole lot of experience playing on his off-wing.

-Eriksson = done: Like most of you, I suspect that Eriksson is done as a Canuck. He’ll either not report to camp (making him a UFA) or will be biting boners down there in Utica.

-Gaudette or Sutter......not both: I think only one of Gaudette or Sutter will be on the team. If Gaudette impresses in training camp, the Canucks will proceed forward with Gaudette, and Sutter will be moved or traded (for a pick.....clear cap space). If Gaudette can’t be as good or close to Sutter’s level, then I suspect Gaudette will be sent to Utica.

-Myers will play with Edler 5 on 5, and with Hughes on the PP. To limit Myers’ defensive weaknesses, I think he will play with Edler 5 on 5. This will also allow the Canucks to have a very strong top 5 for their entire 1st line (Miller-EP-BB-TM-AE). I suspect that the first PP will consist of Hughes and Myers. Edler will be taken off the 1st PP so that he can rest his body a little and be less susceptible to injuries.

Miller-Pettersson-Boeser
Pearson-Horvat-[Leivo/Virtanen]
[Baertschi/Goldobin]-[Gaudette/Sutter]-[Virtanen/Leivo]
Motte-Beagle-MacEwan

Roussel.

Roussel replaces Motte or MacEwan when he returns.

Edler-Myers
Hughes-Tanev
Benn-Stecher

Fandango (or whatever that new guy’s name is....Oscar somebody).

Markstrom
Demko

LuckyBoeser

Oct 8, 2018
I feel not many shows the Horvat and Roussel combination the love deserves. I understand that Roussel is on ltir but the impact they had together isn't recognised enough imo

Horvat and Roussel on ice stats together:
Sample size: 268:16 toi

On-ice impact:
CF% - 54.10
GF% - 75
XGF% - 58.82
on-ice save% - 95.76

Rates:
CF/60 - 65.43
CA/60 - 53.9
XGF/60 - 2.62
XGA/60 - 1.84

Production rates w/ each other:
Horvat: P/60 2.24, P1/60 1.57

Roussel: P/60 3.13, P1/60 2.46

So in conclusion they have had great results when they played with each other.

Last edited:

BeardyCanuck03

@BeardyCanuck03
Jun 19, 2006
twitter.com
I feel not many shows the Horvat and Roussel combination it deserves. I understand that Roussel is on ltir but the impact they had together isn't recognised enough imo

Horvat and Roussel on ice stats together:
Sample size: 268:16 toi

On-ice impact:
CF% - 54.10
GF% - 75
XGF% - 58.82
on-ice save% - 95.76

Rates:
CF/60 - 65.43
CA/60 - 53.9
XGF/60 - 2.62
XGA/60 - 1.84

Production rates w/ each other:
Horvat: P/60 2.24, P1/60 1.57

Roussel: P/60 3.13, P1/60 2.46

So in conclusion they have had great results when they played with each other.

I personally think that when he comes back Roussel would be best served used as someone who can help make the 3rd line better.

Canucks1096

Feb 13, 2016
Miller Petey Boeser
Pearson Horvat Goldobin
Baer Gaudette Virtanen
Leivo Beagle Sutter

Why I have Leivo on the 4th line is because he is a good possession player. He will help get the puck out of the zone, Canucks spend less in the D zone.

Why I Have Goldobin on the second line is because Pearson and Horvat are shoot first player. Goldobin is the best playmaker out of everybody on the bottom 6. Let's not forgot Goldobin was on pace for close to 50 points in the first half of the season. Then Green decided to change his game and make him play like Tyler Motte. When that happened, Goldobin got confuse and a few healthy scratches, he couldn't recovered.

Reactions: alternate

Horse McHindu

They call me Horse.....
Jun 21, 2014
Beijing
Miller Petey Boeser
Pearson Horvat Goldobin
Baer Gaudette Virtanen
Leivo Beagle Sutter

Why I have Leivo on the 4th line is because he is a good possession player. He will help get the puck out of the zone, Canucks spend less in the D zone.

Why I Have Goldobin on the second line is because Pearson and Horvat are shoot first player. Goldobin is the best playmaker out of everybody on the bottom 6. Let's not forgot Goldobin was on pace for close to 50 points in the first half of the season. Then Green decided to change his game and make him play like Tyler Motte. When that happened, Goldobin got confuse and a few healthy scratches, he couldn't recovered.

Leivo’s possession play would be better suited to playing with Horvat and Pearson would it not?

Cancuks

Former Exalted Ruler
Jan 13, 2014
At the EI office
Goldobin Pettersson Boeser
Pearson Horvat Miller
Roussel Gaudette Virtanen
Leivo Beagle Motte/MacEwen

Edler Myers
Hughes Tanev
Benn Stecher
Fantenberg/Biega
---
Eriksson, Schaller> waivers/AHL
Baertschi, Sutter> trade with up to 50% salary retention or waive if no takers

Spectrefire

Jan 3, 2013
I personally think that when he comes back Roussel would be best served used as someone who can help make the 3rd line better.
I agree. I think anyone penciling Roussel on the 4th is massively underselling how good he was for us last year, but if Gaudette does earn the 3rd line C over Sutter, then I want Roussel stapled to him to help provide defensive cover for him.

For defense, I'd like to see the following pairings:

Edler - Stecher
Myers - Tanev
Benn - Hughes

I think Stecher has already proven he has good chemistry with Edler and can keep up on that top pairing, plus I think with Green's newfound trust in him, as well as the confidence from getting his time on Team Canada, he's going to be a monster this season.

Myers - Tanev should be a safe 2nd pairing, with Tanev providing defensive cover while Myers should have the green light to join in on the rush.

I don't believe for a minute any NHL coach is going to immediately pencil in a rookie defenseman right into their top-4, and the 3rd pairing is a good place for Hughes to start off while getting top powerplay minutes. Since Hughes can play either side, pairing him with Benn should have the same sort of effect Schenn had, a veteran stay at home defenseman who'll beat down any player that even looks at Hughes wrong.

Last edited:
Reactions: ChilliBilly

WetcoastOrca

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 3, 2011
Vancouver, BC
I agree. I think anyone penciling Roussel on the 4th is massively underselling how good he was for us last year, but if Gaudette does earn the 3rd line C over Sutter, then I want Roussel stapled to him to help provide defensive cover for him.

For defense, I'd like to see the following pairings:

Edler - Stecher
Myers - Tanev
Benn - Hughes

I think Stecher has already proven he has good chemistry with Edler and can keep up on that top pairing, plus I think with Green's newfound trust in him, as well as the confidence from getting his time on Team Canada, he's going to be a monster this season.

Myers - Tanev should be a safe 2nd pairing, with Tanev providing defensive cover while Myers should have the green light to join in on the rush.

I don't believe for a minute any NHL coach is going to immediately pencil in a rookie defenseman right into their top-4, and the 3rd pairing is a good place for Hughes to start off while getting top powerplay minutes. Since Hughes can play either side, pairing him with Benn should have the same sort of effect Schenn had, a veteran stay at home defenseman who'll beat down any player that even looks at Hughes wrong.
I really like that Hughes-Benn pairing.

BeardyCanuck03

@BeardyCanuck03
Jun 19, 2006
twitter.com
Myers and Tanev are both right side right handed dmen. They will not be a pairing.

Breaking down how the d pairs will shake out.

Edler is an all situatioins minute munching dman, he's going to be on your top pair that will play against the top lines. His partner needs to be able to play that as well. Reliability is key here, so playing Tanev here isn't ideal. Myers has played this in Buffalo and in a pinch in Winnipeg, and Stecher did a decent job at this role at the end of last season. I'd put Stecher here but I expect to see Myers with Edler.

Quinn Hughes is someone you're going to try and "shelter" at least to start and use him in situations where his hockey sense can create offense. He's played well with a more defensive minded player who can stay back while Quinn rushes the puck and pinches. I think Tanev makes most sense here.

This leaves Stecher and Benn together who I think can take on the 2nd lines of most teams quite well.

Edler-Myers
Hughes-Tanev
Benn-Stecher

Reactions: Bettman Returnz

nucksauce

Oct 30, 2013
Out of preseason I see these lines being made, mid season they could be completely different.

Leivo Pettersson Boeser
Pearson Horvat Miller
*Ferland* Gaudette Virtanen
Motte Beagle MacEwen
Goldobin/Lockwood/Madden
Inj: Baertschi, Roussel

Edler Myers
Hughes Tanev
Benn Stecher
Fantenberg/Teves/Juolevi

I think we'll see Eriksson, Sutter & Schaller either dealt or waived before training camp. I think Benning wants to add another forward and Ferland looks to be his guy. Marcus Johanssen and Ryan Dzingel could also be other targets for LW I have them in as a 3rd line as we haven't signed anyone yet and that's where Roussel will play when healthy.

In the event we don't add another top-6 I think Leivo showed he can play those minutes and create chances, finish and is a great forechecker with Pettey and Boeser. I could see him slotting into the top 6 early playing a good preseason.

I have a feeling we could see the emergence of some of our College players Lockwood, Madden and Teves making a case for themselves to play in the NHL which could make cuts something keep an eye on and exciting. Injuries this year could be blessings in disguise.

For our defence I think the initial idea is to have Myers play with Edler and and Tanev play with Hughes we will see how that goes for the early part of the season. Tanev will help Hughes adjust more than say Benn or Stecher could. I'd like to see Hughes get a lot of ice time early to get his confidence going and really test him. I do like the Benn Hughes pairing and expect to see that come the 35-40 game mark.

Let's hope we can shed some dead weight and our youth shows up ready to compete.

Lindgren

Jun 30, 2005
If Sutter and Beagle centre the bottom two lines, as seems likely, the top two better do a lot of scoring if they want to keep the Canucks close to the playoff bar.

I feel sorry for the bottom 6 wingers.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Toulouse vs Montpellier
    Toulouse vs Montpellier
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $246.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Hoffenheim vs RB Leipzig
    Hoffenheim vs RB Leipzig
    Wagers: 4