Line Combos: 2019 Line Combo Discussion Starter

BROCK HUGHES

Jun 3, 2006
Victoria bc/red deer alberta
Having Sutter,Baertschi,Eriksson in are line ups are just ugly.They can't stay healthy and 1 just lacks any sort of effort when playing.Hopefully Eriksson is just a filler until Rousell is back playing.Sutter should be traded so Gaudette can slot in.Im sure Baertschi will end up on injured reserve.

DL44

Status quo
Sep 26, 2006
Having Sutter,Baertschi,Eriksson in are line ups are just ugly.They can't stay healthy and 1 just lacks any sort of effort when playing.Hopefully Eriksson is just a filler until Rousell is back playing.Sutter should be traded so Gaudette can slot in.Im sure Baertschi will end up on injured reserve.

Ain't nothing much ugly about Sutter and Baertschi when healthy tho...
They are better options than their replacements and make our team better.

Where Gaudette was last year wasn't good enough... people must be banking on development.
I'm not so high on Gaudette. He's got a ways to go. Motte is a better player right now.

Bertuzzzi44

Jun 26, 2018
Ain't nothing much ugly about Sutter and Baertschi when healthy tho...
They are better options than their replacements and make our team better.

Where Gaudette was last year wasn't good enough... people must be banking on development.
I'm not so high on Gaudette. He's got a ways to go. Motte is a better player right now.

Gaudette was better than Sutter last year. Sutter was so bad he made Tim freakin Schaller look good in comparison lol

Brandon Sutter:
GP 26 G: 4 A: 2 P: 6 -12 CF% 41.3 PDO 96.4 FO% 48.5

Tim Schaller:
GP 47 G: 3 A: 7 P: 10 -2 CF% 46.1 PDO 100.5 FO% 50

DL44

Status quo
Sep 26, 2006
Gaudette was better than Sutter last year. Sutter was so bad he made Tim freakin Schaller look good in comparison lol

Brandon Sutter:
GP26 G: 4 A: 2 P: 6 -12 CF% 41.3 PDO 96.4 Hits 33 FO% 48.5

Tim Schaller:
GP47 G: 3 A: 7 P: 10 -2 CF% 46.1 PDO 100.5 Hits 66 FO% 50
That's why you dont go by pieces of paper.

Sutter was playing some of his best 2-way hockey as a canuck in the sample of gms prior to the shoulder injury. Was never the same after that.

We are getting healthy Sutter to start.
Healthy Sutter is a good player.

(I do love how you think Schaller legitimately is a better player than Sutter tho... that's hilarious. Noted)

Bertuzzzi44

Jun 26, 2018
That's why you dont go by pieces of paper.

Sutter was playing some of his best 2-way hockey as a canuck in the sample of gms prior to the shoulder injury. Was never the same after that.

We are getting healthy Sutter to start.
Healthy Sutter is a good player.

(I do love how you think Schaller is a better player than Sutter tho... that's hilarious. Noted)

Healthy Sutter is an offensive black hole that sucks the life out of his wingers.

Sutter would be an ideal 4th line Center as he can kill penalties and play responsible hockey, but Benning signed Beagle making Sutter expendable. Sutter is a horrible 3rd line Center as he cannot create any offence for his wingers whatsoever.

Last edited:
Reactions: Askel

Canucks1096

Feb 13, 2016
I think Sutter has a better chance in bouncing back and staying healthy for 3/4 of the season than Gaudette developing in a good third line center this season. It amazes me, how people are just giving the third line center to Gaudette, he has proven nothing in the nhl. Not even a good 4th line center, Gaudette was horrible last year especially the last 20 games this seasons. He was a little boy out there playing against men. The scary thing is he only 1 year young than Horvat, he is already 23 when the season starts. He got check off the puck to easily and has hard time keeping up with the pace of the game. Green gave him shelter mins and close to 60% offensive zone starts and Gaudette still struggle.

If I was the GM, if there was a taker for Sutter at half the salary. I would trade Sutter and sign Brassard to be the third line center. Gaudette AHL

ErrantShepherd

Nostalgic despite the Bad
Dec 2, 2018
...Canada, eh?
I'm hoping for some consistent groupings in the top 9. Something like:

Miller-EP-Boeser
Ferland-Horvat-Baertchi
Leivo-Sutter-Virtanen

There's some interchangeability here, but the play styles, at least on paper seem to mesh per line.

I saw a lineup on Canucks reddit that has me intrigued...

Ferland-EP-Boeser
Baertschi-Horvat-Pearson
Leivo-Miller-Virtanen

Is probably our best balanced top 9... having Miller center the 3rd line feels like it would have the potential for a legitimate 3rd scoring line. Although tbh, I would rather have Miller higher up in the lineup.

Eriksson-Beagle-Sutter

Assuming we can't drop/trade any of them this 4th line would at least have the potential to be a strong shutdown line as all those players have shown very high defensive capabilities.

Extras: Goldy (plug into top 9 when injuries happen/need changeups), Motte(Utica up and down?/plug into 4th line as needed), Schaller (Trade or Utica), Gaudette (back to AHL for prime minutes)

---

Other more likely options

Ferland-EP-Boeser
Miller-Horvat-Pearson
Leivo-Sutter-Virtanen
Eriksson-Beagle-Motte

Extras:
Baertschi, Goldobin, Gaudette(AHL), Schaller(AHL/trade)

If we somehow got rid of Sutter and Eriksson

Ferland-EP-Boeser
Miller-Horvat-Pearson
Baertschi-Gaudette-Virtanen
Leivo-Beagle-Motte

Extras:
Goldobin, Schaller(AHL/trade)

...of those three options, Miller as 3rd line has me the most intrigued. Sutter and Beagle as 3rd and 4th line center give us redundancy and not enough offense from those lines. Gaudette would be interesting, but he's still developing.

Ryp37

Nov 6, 2011
Best guess based on last year and before the blender kicks in this year

Miller - Pettersson - Boeser
Ferland - Horvat - Pearson
Leivo - Sutter - Virtanen
Erikssson - Beagle - Motte
Schaller
IR Roussel
Wildcards - Baertschi, Goldy

D is anyone’s guess, really don’t know what route they’ll take, with proper deployment I’d go with

Edler-Tanev
Hughes-Myers
Benn-Stecher

So if we assume Vegas, San Jose, Calgary , Arizona are gonna the teams to beat in our division let’s see how we compare to their top 6/top 4. my rough guess as teams aren’t done adding/tinkering. San Jose still has 6.7 to play around with for example and likely bring back Thornton/possibly Marleau

Arizona
Dvorak - Stepan - Kessel
Grabner - Schmaltz - Keller
OEL - Demers
Chychrun - Hjalmarsson

Calgary
Gaudreau - Monahan - Lindholm
Tkachuk - Backlund - Frolik
Giordano - Brodie
Hanifin - Hamonic

SJ
Meier - Couture - Labanc
Kane - Hertl - Sorensen?
Vlasic - Burns
Dillon - Karlsson

Vegas
Marchessault - Karlsson - Stone
Pacioretty - Stastny - Tuch
Mcnabb - Schmidt
Theodore - Holden

I think Anaheim is an interesting one given they have plenty of skill but seem to be all over the place and lack the depth. Eakins will be interesting, plenty of coaches do better on their second time around (except willie D lol) and won’t have nowhere near the pressure he did in Edmonton

Rakell - Getzlaf - Kase
Ritchie - Henrique - Silverberg
Lindholm-Manson
Larsson-Fowler

Reactions: DL44

Canucks1096

Feb 13, 2016
I think that line would be driving play the right direction all night... they'll get paid off for it.

I'm not sure about Ferland's D ability, but he seems to have the tools help the other two smother rushes against.

Can't wait to see what Virtanen's development step looks like this yr....
18's development has been talked about very little this summer. Over shadowed and seems he'll be flying into camp with very little attention.

Looking forward to his 1st 20g season this yr.
Sutter is healthy to start. Ferland-we'll see.

Virtanen hasn't shown any improvement in his offence since his rookie year. I highly doubt that Virtanen will get 20 goals.

Derp Kassian

Jul 14, 2012
Vancouver
I just dont know what to think of Bae at this point, he's one hit away from never playing agian. I'm hoping Goldobin gets his stuff together because he quite clearly works with the Petey line but just hasn't got it and appeased a stickler coach like TG. So much skill there its encouraging he hasnt bolted yet.

Reactions: bh53

crobro

Aug 8, 2008
Petterson - Boesser - Ferland

Horvat-JT Miller- Pearson

Motte-Roussel-Virtanen (potential Energy line) with Erickson keeping spot warm for Roussel)

Sutter-Leivo-open spot

Sven On IR

BEAGLE, Shaller Press box filler

ErrantShepherd

Nostalgic despite the Bad
Dec 2, 2018
...Canada, eh?
Petterson - Boesser - Ferland

Horvat-JT Miller- Pearson

Motte-Roussel-Virtanen (potential Energy line) with Erickson keeping spot warm for Roussel)

Sutter-Leivo-open spot

Sven On IR

BEAGLE, Shaller Press box filler

Wait... who's centering the energy line? Motte? ...and Eriksson on an energy line?

I agree that Roussel and Virtanen worked well together... I would think coach would probably put Sutter with them though over Motte? Motte has been hanging onto the 4th line spot, but not much else...

If you wanted Energy, probably would put Leivo out there over Baertschi as Roussel is on IR for a while... although Bae is just assumed on IR I see...

Something like
Leivo - Sutter - Virtanen (Energy?)
Eriksson - Beagle - Motte (shutdown?)

IR Roussel, Baertschi
Spares Goldobin, Schaller

Reactions: bh53

kallor

May 15, 2015
Ferland Pettersson Boeser
Baertschi Horvat Miller
Leivo Sutter Pearson
Virtanen Beagle Gaudette
Motte/Goldobin

I think Ferland will contribute more with elite players. His toughness is nice but he's got good hands and instincts.

It's Baertschi's spot if he's healthy IMO. Miller and Horvat will do most the heavy lifting regardless of who plays there.

I like the idea of 3 guys who are likely motivated to prove themselves playing on a line.

This could be a fun line, I see it as a 3A/3B scenario.

Edler Stetcher
Benn Myers
Hughes Tanev

Spread the Minutes out.

keslerburrows

Mar 9, 2011
Vernon, Canada
Goldobin-Petterson-Ferland
I kind of like the idea of this line for some reason

Baertschi-Bo-Boeser
BBB. Strap Baertschi's corpse to Bo and Boes and I bet he'd be pretty productive. Until he gets hit and retires.

Virtanen-JT-Pearson
Big, physical and fast (except you Pearson)

Leivo/Gaudette/Beags/Sutter/Erikson/Motte
Crap shoot

MrBojangles

Mar 19, 2012
interesting how little love Gaudette gets here.

If he takes a step would be massive for the third line, maybe with JT?

Leivo EP BB
Bae Horvat Ferland
Pearson Gaudette Miller
JV Beagle Sutter

Goldy Motte extra. Roussel hurt

crobro

Aug 8, 2008
The Nucks could do a Boston and throw Myers’s onto the forward line during Power Play as a big body screen on the opposing goalie.

If Green has the inclination to do so

Luck 6

\\_______
Oct 17, 2008
Vancouver

While Sutter and Baertschi are not flashy new toys, they’re very effective when healthy and performing. Baertschi has legit top 6 forward ability, and before you mention stats, I’m basing this assessment on the “eye test” and and his chemistry with Horvat. Sutter also may not have the best contract, but he’s a strong veteran presence who can play tougher minutes.

I am very glad that we are no longer relying on these players to fill key roles, but I also don’t want to see them traded unless key upgrades are brought in. These players will still help us win as valuable depth players, so if the aim is to win, then trading them is likely not the best option.

DL44

Status quo
Sep 26, 2006
Best guess based on last year and before the blender kicks in this year

Miller - Pettersson - Boeser
Ferland - Horvat - Pearson
Leivo - Sutter - Virtanen
Erikssson - Beagle - Motte
Schaller
IR Roussel
Wildcards - Baertschi, Goldy

D is anyone’s guess, really don’t know what route they’ll take, with proper deployment I’d go with

Edler-Tanev
Hughes-Myers
Benn-Stecher

So if we assume Vegas, San Jose, Calgary , Arizona are gonna the teams to beat in our division let’s see how we compare to their top 6/top 4. my rough guess as teams aren’t done adding/tinkering. San Jose still has 6.7 to play around with for example and likely bring back Thornton/possibly Marleau

Arizona
Dvorak - Stepan - Kessel
Grabner - Schmaltz - Keller
OEL - Demers
Chychrun - Hjalmarsson

Calgary
Gaudreau - Monahan - Lindholm
Tkachuk - Backlund - Frolik
Giordano - Brodie
Hanifin - Hamonic

SJ
Meier - Couture - Labanc
Kane - Hertl - Sorensen?
Vlasic - Burns
Dillon - Karlsson

Vegas
Marchessault - Karlsson - Stone
Pacioretty - Stastny - Tuch
Mcnabb - Schmidt
Theodore - Holden

I think Anaheim is an interesting one given they have plenty of skill but seem to be all over the place and lack the depth. Eakins will be interesting, plenty of coaches do better on their second time around (except willie D lol) and won’t have nowhere near the pressure he did in Edmonton

Rakell - Getzlaf - Kase
Ritchie - Henrique - Silverberg
Lindholm-Manson
Larsson-Fowler
Love the info you provided.

I think where our lineup now is vastly improved is our NHL caliber depth...
We already know we are a little deprived of top tier talent outside of Pettersson and Boeser’s shot.... if we did the same exercise with projected bottom 6’s across the division... that’s where there will be a positive impact for our team in many many games this season.

I’ll go by my lines...

Pearson-Horvat-Miller
Baertschi-Pettersson-Boeser
Ferland-Sutter-Virtanen
Leivo-Beagle-Eriksson/Motte
(Your D pairs are solid)

Comparisons are off of Dailyfaceoff... but basically minus your stated top 6’s...

So ..

Van
Ferland-Sutter-Virtanen
Leivo-Beagle-Eriksson/Motte
Benn-Stecher

Az
Garland-Soderberg-Hinostrosa
Crouse -Richardson-Fischer
Goligoski-Oesterle

Cgy
Lucic-Jankowski-Bennett
Mangaipane-Ryan-Czarnik
Valimaki-Andersson

SJ
True-Gambrell-Karlsson
Radil-Suomela-Goodrow.... <—-what?
Simek-Middleton... <——anyone?
^NHL Team. They CANNOT be done...

VGK
Gusev-Glass-Smith
Carrier-Eakin-Reaves
Merrill-Holden

Ana
Jones-Steel-Terry
Comtois-Shore-Sprong
Muhura-Guhule

Edm
Gagner-Granlund-(Poolparty)
Nygard-Khaira -Archibald
Russel-Benning

Summary... I like how our depth stacks up very much.
Vegas is Cup bound... they are solid.
Cgy I think still is losing Frolik for cap reasons.
SJ is definitely still adding, but bleaaah if they don’t.

Reactions: Ryp37

Canucks1096

Feb 13, 2016
interesting how little love Gaudette gets here.

If he takes a step would be massive for the third line, maybe with JT?

Leivo EP BB
Bae Horvat Ferland
Pearson Gaudette Miller
JV Beagle Sutter

Goldy Motte extra. Roussel hurt

If he becomes massive for the third line, that means he becomes a good third line center. Gaudette was an ok 4th line center, if he takes a step, he will be a good 4th line center, it's about 4 steps to be a good third line center.

Don't let the Hoby Baker award trick you. Lot of Hoby Baker winners don't do much in the nhl especially when they win it as a 20 plus year old.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad