GDT: 2019 IIHF World Junior Hockey Championships

Who are you looking forward to the most if they represent their country?

• Sweden: Philip Broberg, D [2019 Draft]

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • USA: Evan Barratt, C [Blackhawks - 90th overall in 2017]

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Iracundia

Jun 19, 2011
Bowers has looked good in the 2 exhibition games and you can see he has above average skating so he should fit in nicely with the Avs younger faster mantra. So far he has taken some face-offs but has mostly played RW. He really reminds me of JTC in that he's pretty fast and plays a very solid 200 foot game.

TruePowerSlave

Jun 27, 2015
As expected hockey is turning more and more into a skill game with little physicality. Honestly is sucks and will make the product bland and uninteresting. Its entirely possible that a few decades from now hockey will be close to a no hit sport with a lot of soft calls against physical guys and players flopping all over the ice.

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
I fail to see how the NHL becoming a more skill oriented league is in any way a bad thing. The sport right now is as exciting as it ever was. If you're watching hockey for nasty, dirty hits, fights, suckerpunches, etc. Then you're watching the wrong sport.

That said. This latest interference rule change is over the top because you're essentially getting into a very grey area now of what's deemed interference and what isn't. Then again, it was a grey area before as well.

TruePowerSlave

Jun 27, 2015
I fail to see how the NHL becoming a more skill oriented league is in any way a bad thing. The sport right now is as exciting as it ever was. If you're watching hockey for nasty, dirty hits, fights, suckerpunches, etc. Then you're watching the wrong sport.
Removing the nasty stuff is fine even tough it makes it kinda less exciting, the greatest rivalry that this organization will ever have peaked as a result of a dirty play. However, the sport is trending in a direction where even clean hits are becoming penalty worthy. Its not unreasonable to assume that withing a few decades its going to be an all skill sport with very little physicality and a lot of players falling down when they are slightly touched. The situation could be very similar to what happened to football/soccer.

hawk30

Oct 5, 2009
Rochester, NY
As expected hockey is turning more and more into a skill game with little physicality. Honestly is sucks and will make the product bland and uninteresting. Its entirely possible that a few decades from now hockey will be close to a no hit sport with a lot of soft calls against physical guys and players flopping all over the ice.

Went to an AHL game 2 weeks ago and I swear there were maybe 5 real hits the entire game.

So boring to watch and it shows at the box office. Barely anyone in the stands.

Murzu

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 23, 2013
Finland
My comment to that tweet I posted:

- First example should not be a penalty and if it is then officiating is a joke. I love hits as long as the hit isn't a headshot or something dirty.

- How can they claim Myers didn't see the hit and hitter should be penalized with 5 minute major?

These changes will bring confusion, frustration and will take an important element out from the game.

AllAboutAvs

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 25, 2006
Really impressed with Bowers 200-ft game and his speed so far in this tournament. He is really good up front on the forecheck, the cycle and going in the dirty areas. Defensively he is very good on the PK and backcheck and extremely good in the D-zone 5-on-5. There is no doubt in my mind that Bowers is ready defensively to be in the NHL however the Avs might want to keep him in the AHL next year to work on his offense.

I hope the Avs don't trade him. IMO his floor is a very strong 3rd line and PK. The Avs will need that in the future.

Piestany88

Sep 29, 2017
Really impressed with Bowers 200-ft game and his speed so far in this tournament. He is really good up front on the forecheck, the cycle and going in the dirty areas. Defensively he is very good on the PK and backcheck and extremely good in the D-zone 5-on-5. There is no doubt in my mind that Bowers is ready defensively to be in the NHL however the Avs might want to keep him in the AHL next year to work on his offense.

I hope the Avs don't trade him. IMO his floor is a very strong 3rd line and PK. The Avs will need that in the future.
We have a player in Bowers , Nova Scotia heart (birth place of hockey) and trains with the boys .

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan
Let's enjoy this:

Well anything involving them will now be basically as intense as the NHL All-Star game. That is pathetic.

I wonder if this is also to give them something to go to the NHL and say look it's completely safe to send your players to the Olympics now!.

Grigorenko and Zach Redmond just became future IIHF all-stars.

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
There's "Finishing your Check" and then there's stuff like what earned Zach Hyman a suspension earlier this season. And that was warranted. But it doesn't need to be legislated the other way to such an extreme either.

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
Here's the final USA team...

DvHdd-LVAAUGTIE.jpg

As I said before, it looks top heavy to me..

RoyIsALegend

Gross Misconduct
Sponsor
Oct 24, 2008
Love me some Oli Wahlstrom, regardless of his early NCAA adaptability struggles.

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
Sort of an upset, but Finland beat Canada yesterday in the final preseason game 5-2. Not that it means anything, but it is sort of shocking considering how many players Finland is losing from the NHL and injury.

Really surprised nobody voted for Ranta in the poll.

FinPanda

Team Finland 2022 WHC champions
Mar 13, 2014
Vaasa, Finland
Sort of an upset, but Finland beat Canada yesterday in the final preseason game 5-2. Not that it means anything, but it is sort of shocking considering how many players Finland is losing from the NHL and injury.

Really surprised nobody voted for Ranta in the poll.
Only Kotkaniemi and Heiskanen from the NHL and Ikonen & Räsänen from injury. Ok, that was four guys, maybe it is quite a lot.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad