GDT: 2019 IIHF World Junior Hockey Championships

Who are you looking forward to the most if they represent their country?

• Sweden: Philip Broberg, D [2019 Draft]

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • USA: Evan Barratt, C [Blackhawks - 90th overall in 2017]

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

expatriatedtexan

Habitual Line Stepper
Aug 17, 2005
Nationalism, emotion and ignorance is a bad combination.

Yes it is....but I think the real problem is the cesspool that twitter has become. Giving an international platform to ignorant and anonymous people is nothing but a recipe for bringing out the worst in humanity.

I have a twitter account so I can follow a few hockey journalists and very few news outlets (mostly local). I have also never actually tweeted...did send my nephew a DM once though.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
Fine. 1v1 me right now. You get the best pen money can buy. I'll take any old sword:)

This ought to be an interesting fight.

484563.jpg

Reactions: cgf

avsfan09

Dec 17, 2010
Nova Scotia
Yes it is....but I think the real problem is the cesspool that twitter has become. Giving an international platform to ignorant and anonymous people is nothing but a recipe for bringing out the worst in humanity.

I have a twitter account so I can follow a few hockey journalists and very few news outlets (mostly local). I have also never actually tweeted...did send my nephew a DM once though.
I'm a big proponent of free speech but yeah when its anonymous there is alot more danger to it. Still it's important to learn how to evaluate the value of opinions and which ones are to be taken serious and how to laugh at people who are just trolling or ignorant.

Also to add something actually relevant to the thread haha-Kovalenko had another assist alot like the one from his last game.

EscapedGoat

Jun 15, 2012
You might need help more than those people.

Not to derail this thread but I actually don't dislike what cgf did back then.

I was picked on when I was young. Tallest kid who ate way too much so you can guess what I got bullied about. It stopped the year before high school when I finally realized that I'm twice the size of these kids picking on me and started throwing my weight around, literally.

First time was playing football at recess. The worst bully of them all jumped up for the ball and I ran through him with everything I had. He ended up having to go home for the day and I got talked to by a teacher. Second time was when a kid was relentlessly bullying me after school. I grabbed him by the collars of his coat and threw him into a chain link fence. He went horizontal, hit the fence and pole and stayed down for a long time. I stopped getting bullied after those two incidents.

And that was just kids calling me fat, not being outright racist a-holes. Guess it comes down to philosophy. Is violence okay in some situations or is it never okay? Is the pen really mightier than the sword or do some people need a stronger approach?

Sorry for the story time hour. Cgf, I hope you don't lose sleep or anything over your past physical actions. I personally haven't laid a hand on someone since i was 14 and I'm about the most peaceful guy you'll ever meet now, but I'm proud of my younger self for teaching some awful people a much needed lesson.

Reactions: CobraAcesS

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com

They could very easily regulate it, but the guy in charge of the site is a Nazi sympathizer who only cares about making money.

Reactions: McMetal

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
I don't have a problem with @cgf 's actions either. If people are going to be racist assholes on the ice they deserve every spear and nutcracker they get.

I remember on what was the best team I ever played for in Bantam B's in Arvada, one of our best players was a Hispanic kid, and the racist garbage that got thrown his way was unbelievable. Arvada and most of suburban CO at that time (and probably still is) white as all get out, I could only imagine what would have happened if there was a young black man out there playing. We ended up winning state that year, so we all had the last laugh. I'm still friends with that guy nearly thirty years later.

I wasn't a dirty player but you can bet your ass I didn't shed a tear when punks gooning it up or throwing out racist shit to try and goad someone into a fight/penalty got absolutely MASHED by one of my bigger teammates. I was a little too shrimpy to really go out there and try anything crazy, the worst I ever did was the occasional slew foot.

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan
Not to derail this thread but I actually don't dislike what cgf did back then.

I was picked on when I was young. Tallest kid who ate way too much so you can guess what I got bullied about. It stopped the year before high school when I finally realized that I'm twice the size of these kids picking on me and started throwing my weight around, literally.

First time was playing football at recess. The worst bully of them all jumped up for the ball and I ran through him with everything I had. He ended up having to go home for the day and I got talked to by a teacher. Second time was when a kid was relentlessly bullying me after school. I grabbed him by the collars of his coat and threw him into a chain link fence. He went horizontal, hit the fence and pole and stayed down for a long time. I stopped getting bullied after those two incidents.

And that was just kids calling me fat, not being outright racist a-holes. Guess it comes down to philosophy. Is violence okay in some situations or is it never okay? Is the pen really mightier than the sword or do some people need a stronger approach?

Sorry for the story time hour. Cgf, I hope you don't lose sleep or anything over your past physical actions. I personally haven't laid a hand on someone since i was 14 and I'm about the most peaceful guy you'll ever meet now, but I'm proud of my younger self for teaching some awful people a much needed lesson.

I had to do the exact same thing once in middle school. Kind of a two for one actually with these twins who were both big boys. I usually walked home, and one day just had enough. Took one down, and then chased the other up this play structure and put his face through the monkey bars telling the kid I was going to kill them both. Obviously I let them go, but I came really close to throwing the little shit off the top of that structure. Which could have easily put me in juvi or something if it went wrong. Yelled some stuff about me not f***ing with them, so I don't feel like I should have to deal with their shit among other threats. I did get in some trouble because their parents complained, but my dad absolutely had my back. I ended up with a four day suspension that my dad took off to hang out with me. He told me if the school was going to give me a vacation for defending myself we were going to enjoy it. He did tell me if he ever thought I was being a bully he'd kick my ass.

Later is HS they both would give me a nod when passing me in the hallway. I was a skinny kid but tall for middle school and got along with most people all the way through school. There was an obvious turn of respect though from then on.

I think a lot of guys have stories like that. My dad has a couple as well.

Foppberg

Nov 20, 2016
Summerside, PEI
I was a smaller kid, but I remember this new guy who did not like me, no idea why really. One day he'd be friendly and the next he'd be a complete asshole, but never really got physical.

But then before class I was sitting in my seat and he came up from behind me and started choking me in a wrestling move, and I fell to the side, so we both fell, he lost his balance, and while we both were on the ground I got a few jabs in before a bunch of people around us jumped in. Got suspended for a few days but he never picked on me again.

Then in highschool there was this other guy, wasn't really that much bigger than me, or in that great of shape, who would always make comments and snide remarks, and I remember one day walking back from lunch he and his group of friends was behind us running his mouth and I was like do you ever shut your fat pimple filled face, Robert? And he suckered me in the back of the head and I lost it and beat the hell outta him.

I wasn't a big kid but I could be scrappy when it came to pricks.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
I might have an easier time agreeing with the notion that those kids deserved their comeuppance if that was where it ended up and that night where I didn't just cover my head when my ex started swinging at me while extremely drunk, had never happened.

We're very close friends now & really supportive of one another...as well as really helpful with one another's new relationships...having been huge parts of the growth that we have both undergone since those first 4-days that we spent together between our first date & my flight out of town, and having a lot of insight into where we each f*** our love lives up. But I don't think that I'll ever really forgive/come-to-terms-with myself for that night, regardless of the years between that night & my teenage-shithead years, and how completely out of character that was for me in any of my relationships before or since.

And that's the problem with any kind of violence; it's not an impulse that goes away by indulging it. "Justified violence" only establishes & reinforces unhealthy rewards-pathways; which require time & diligent work to change...and even with that, I don't really know how you can ever fully trust yourself after learning that you have that type of f***ed-uppedness inside of yourself :dunno:

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
Kirill Slepets picked a great time to be healthy and play well... gonna be a late round pick next summer.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
If the Swiss and Americans matchup, my money would be on the Swiss structuring the Americans to death and winning the game.

avsfan09

Dec 17, 2010
Nova Scotia
My dad was a pimp when I was in junior high school.
Got busted, and was on TV a lot.
I didn't care when kids tried to tease me by calling my father a pimp -- it was true.
But I got suspended a lot for fighting when they'd call my mom a whoore.
They say pimpin ain't easy but what they dont tell you is that it's much much more difficult being a prostitute.

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
Good game between the US and Russia.

Kostin took that loss really hard. He then drops f-bombs to the crowd after they boo. :laugh:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad