2019 IIHF World Junior Hockey Championship | Finland has defeated USA to win gold!

canucksfan

Mar 16, 2002
British Columbia
Visit site
A short tournament is a small sample size to judge a player. I am curious to see how Hughes does when he turns pro. He is slight, especially for a defender, and in my small sample size of watching him, he does a few things that won't work in the pros. His development is crucial for the Nucks success. There just isn't much after him for d man prospects

sting101

Feb 8, 2012
Extemely poor game by Hughes tonight IMO. pushed off pucks easily, struggled with his possession, passing and was having passes and shots blocked. His shot is a muffin
Madden on the other hand looked great. has more than just btm 6 upside IMO.

Hit the post

I have your gold medal Zippy!
Oct 1, 2015
Hiding under WTG's bed...
A short tournament is a small sample size to judge a player. I am curious to see how Hughes does when he turns pro. He is slight, especially for a defender, and in my small sample size of watching him, he does a few things that won't work in the pros. His development is crucial for the Nucks success. There just isn't much after him for d man prospects
I can't but think when the Leafs had two goalie prospects - Justin Pogge & Tuukka Rask - they made their decision to go with Pogge (and deal Rask) after this same tournament.

Reactions: Peen

orcatown

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 13, 2003
Visit site
Extemely poor game by Hughes tonight IMO. pushed off pucks easily, struggled with his possession, passing and was having passes and shots blocked. His shot is a muffin
Madden on the other hand looked great. has more than just btm 6 upside IMO.

Totally agree. Hard to see it any other way.

canucksfan

Mar 16, 2002
British Columbia
Visit site
I can't but think when the Leafs had two goalie prospects - Justin Pogge & Tuukka Rask - they made their decision to go with Pogge (and deal Rask) after this same tournament.

Canadian goalies that do very well at the WJC have a history of sucking in the NHL. Price and Luongo are the only two that come to mind to have an excellent career.

Steely Van

Oct 12, 2018
The Swiss coach rocks. I hope he gets a job in the NHL one day.
I can see Torts coaching against him swearing at him when the other (Swiss) coach's player does something dirty. The Swiss coach sincerely apologizes and asks forgiveness while agreeing that Torts has every right to be upset. Torts, wanting to continue his tantrum, is unable to process how to react therefore, Tort's head explodes.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Watched the last half of the Russia-USA game, and i'd have to say that Madden was more impressive than Quinn Hughes. The Canucks have a player here. Barely 5' 10" and 150 but plays way bigger.

A great skater who's relentless on the puck. Building on his freshman season at Northeastern with a great WJC.

Ryp37

Nov 6, 2011

I was at that quarter final game where Rask put up a 51 save performance against the Swedes and had the Vancouver fans chanting his name

Classic leafs move

Reactions: Hit the post

Hit the post

I have your gold medal Zippy!
Oct 1, 2015
Hiding under WTG's bed...
Canadian goalies that do very well at the WJC have a history of sucking in the NHL. Price and Luongo are the only two that come to mind to have an excellent career.
When I think of exCanuck players that really showed a noticeable impact at the tournament and basically flopped at the NHL, I think of Jim Sandlak. I thought, jeebus this guy is going to be GREAT once he dons that Canuck jersey. Sadly, it didn’t work out that way.

Reactions: dwarf

canucksfan

Mar 16, 2002
British Columbia
Visit site
Last edited:
Reactions: TruKnyte

Nomobo

Feb 20, 2015
Victoria
Finland-USA should be a great game. Hope the Americans win but Finland’s disciplined system will take it, I think.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad