2019 IIHF World Junior Hockey Championship | Finland has defeated USA to win gold!

Pastor Of Muppetz

Oct 1, 2017
I dont have TSN,so I didnt see the series...but would most of you guys who saw the WJC say that Jack Hughes is without doubt the #1 player in the 2019 draft?

ErrantShepherd

Nostalgic despite the Bad
Dec 2, 2018
...Canada, eh?
Here's a screencap of a very dejected John Madden watching his son take silver:

dc67d360f1d2a864996726d0c74273d6.png

He will be fine. He has a Football video game franchise after all! :thumbu:

...what do you mean he's not THAT John Madden?

PG Canuck

Mar 29, 2010
I dont have TSN,so I didnt see the series...but would most of you guys who saw the WJC say that Jack Hughes is without doubt the #1 player in the 2019 draft?

He didn’t cement anything this tournament but he was also hurt for some games. Likely played hurt for the rest. Kakko looked good.

M2Beezy

Objective and Neutral Hockey Commentator
May 25, 2014
Would have been nice for Madden and Hughes to win gold here in their future home of Vancity but hopefully inspires them to be beasts for the taste of victory in the future. Good for Utunen, by ALL accounts had a rock SOLID tourney and theres debate about his ceiling now. Looks like ANOTHER gem found in the late rounds by our scouting team headed by GM Benning :yo:

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Thought the Finns were on their heels most of this game....had trouble handling the speed and creativity of the USA roster. Their goalie clearly the team MVP.

Just goes to show how much luck you actually need to win this tournament. Finns had no business beating Canada in the elimination round. A fluke goal; Canada can't convert a penalty shot in sudden-death OT and then Dobson breaks his stick with an open net.

Both Hughes and Madden were great in this tournament....but if by some miracle they also the 'other Hughes' in the draft. Just wow!

WetcoastOrca

Jun 3, 2011
Vancouver, BC
While it’s dangerous to read too much into this tourney, there was a lot to be impressed with as a Canucks fan. Madden may have been the best forward for the US and showed well both offensively and defensively. Not bad for a guy who wasn’t even an invite to the original camp. DiPietro looked solid as did Hughes. And Utunen really had a strong tournament as well and seemed to get more minutes as the tournament went along.

Reactions: sting101

ErrantShepherd

Nostalgic despite the Bad
Dec 2, 2018
...Canada, eh?
Jack Hughes post-loss
"Right now, there’s nothing I really want to learn from this," the 17-year-old said after Finland beat the Americans 3-2 in a dramatic finals performance. "It’s sad. I don’t want to go through this again."

...its really gonna be rough for this kid if we end up getting him. I mean I know he's young, and just being honest and emotional, but the vast majority of the teams the get him are not gonna be good any time soon, unless the Senator pick goes 1st overall.

Reality is he's going to have to get used to losing, or at least dealing with it. How well he deals with adversity is going to be interesting, even if it is just a soundbyte.

sting101

Feb 8, 2012
Tournament thoughts

I'm trying to hold back any disappointment for Hughes this tourney. Small sample so i wont make too much of a big deal of it but if he plays like the last 2 games i saw him live in the NHL he will have to be heavily sheltered and wont be much of a PP weapon. Like i said a short sample but concerning still

Tyler Madden is a legit top6 prospect. His dad was a undrafted late bloomer and this is why i was wanting him badly with that 3rd round pick after reading and seeing some footage about him. Tyler has more offensive instincts and better hands after watching him closely. Obviously has a ways to go in terms of strength and girth. John was the fastest skater in the NHL at one point in NJ and having those kind of inherited innate skills to go with what we have seen recently is extremely encouraging.

The Finns were full value for the Gold and the one friggen point Utunen gets all tourney knocks out the host nation. I doubt he ever scores a bigger goal in Rogers Arena

The Swiss just keep getting better at hockey and their Coach is one intense hombre

DiPietro deserved better and Canada was really bland and poorly coached.

Some Interesting Non Drafted prospects i liked:

A couple with legit NHL potential from Russia
Ilya Morozov - Big left shot defenseman Ilya Morozov at eliteprospects.com
Kirill Slepets - Extremely fast tenacious winger with some hands think Carl Hagelin Kirill Slepets at eliteprospects.com

and a couple from the Swiss with longer odds but looked really good.
Nicolas Muller - Offensive C/RW with some nice hands IQ and good wheels Nicolas Müller at eliteprospects.com
Simon Le Coultre - LD with good range of skills and a really heavy shot Simon Le Coultre at eliteprospects.com

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad