2019 IIHF World Junior Hockey Championship | Finland has defeated USA to win gold!

Mr. Canucklehead

Kitimat Canuck
Dec 14, 2002
Kitimat, BC
It’s too bad that after years of good teams with less than stellar goaltending, the one year Canada gets really good goaltending the team isn’t very strong. Tough break for DiPietro but - IMO - he was Canada’s best player.

Even before his surprising OT winner, I liked Utunen’s game for Finland. He was good at pressuring the puck carriers while short handed and blocked a lot of shots.

Reactions: lindgren and Peen

Eddy Punch Clock

Jack Adams 2028
Jun 13, 2007
Chillbillyville
It’s too bad that after years of good teams with less than stellar goaltending, the one year Canada gets really good goaltending the team isn’t very strong. Tough break for DiPietro but - IMO - he was Canada’s best player.

Even before his surprising OT winner, I liked Utunen’s game for Finland. He was good at pressuring the puck carriers while short handed and blocked a lot of shots.

Still stunned.

Sucks for DiPietro who will be labeled a choker by all of the lovely adoring fan bases around us. It probably even started last night on some message board.

It will be like the "Sisters" thing all over.

Ban these people Mr.C.... as soon as they show their ugly faces. Life time ban them and then hang them by the neck until they are dead.

Bitz and Bites

May 5, 2012
Victoria
WJC performance has proven over and over to relatively useless for prospect evaluation.

So easy to endure a hot or cold streak or find chemistry while other lines struggle to gain it.

This is very true,it’s basically like 10 expansion teams playing in pre-season only its on a global stage with lots of pressure.

Its fun to watch and we get to see a bunch of really good prospects on the same ice in a competitive game,but ultimately the results aren’t real meaningful.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Jack Hughes is beyond astonishing. That performance against the Czechs tonight was all-world. Some NHL team is going to win the lottery, both literally and figuratively this spring.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Bright side of Canada losing? Ticket prices tanking! Going to USA/Russia and the Gold Medal after a 400% price drop lol
Not to mention the TSN television ratings....the advertisers must be beyond pissed. But that's the price the TSN talking heads pay for pumping up the tires on a bunch of 19 year old kids. You just never know what'll happen.

Dr Good Vibes

Jan 18, 2010
Hughes with the bad giveaway at the point on the PP, but it doesn't even matter at this level. He's so fast that he catches the man and completely defuses any scoring chance off the giveaway. Such an unbelievable skater. I think that's why he's so willing to take risks. He'll probably need to tone down the risk-taking at the NHL level though. He won't catch McDavid or Mackinnon so easily.

Josepho

i want the bartkowski thread back
Jan 1, 2015
British Columbia
A few times this game Quinn Hughes has done has shifty little spin-and-take-off move and the Russian guy has just plowed through him.

I know this is going to get way blown out of proportion here but he often reminds me of Bartkowski where he's so good at skating through the neutral zone but then makes one move too many instead of going for the safer play.

Dr Good Vibes

Jan 18, 2010
Yeah he hasn't been playing his best hockey throughout the tournament, I've seen him look so much better. Seems like he's trying to do too much IMO.

Hemty

"Magni Consili Angelus"
Jan 14, 2015
Riga
soundcloud.com
Are we back to overreacting to WJC?
He’s having a great season with Michigan that’s all I care

Mittlstadt > Pettersson, remember?
Well, i for one just wonder why do they play so mediocre, when they are (in our case anyway) considered one of the better players on the team.
I haven't put stock in WJC ever, and ill never will. It just makes me scratch my head.

Breakers

Make Mirrored Visors Legal Again
Aug 5, 2014
Denver Colorado
Madden is 2nd in Avg/TOI among forwards
Quinn is 1st among all USA players with 22:45 avg/toi (may have slipped as I'm not sure of today)

and they are going to the gold medal game.
So take of that what you will

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad