Post-Game Talk: 2019 IIHF World Junior Championship: Bruins Prospects Edition

Fossy21

Nobel Prize Deke
Mar 14, 2013
Great consecutive saves by Luukkonen. Sweden should be up by a couple of goals, but either can't hit the net to save their lives, or have Luukkonen absolutely rob them. Finland's only chances so far have come from individual efforts. They need to find their legs (and passing game)

22Brad Park

Nov 23, 2008
Calgary AB
2 huge saves Finish goalie.Swedish player went for wrap around and goalie got his toe on it.If he passes it as he was coming around net its 1-0 Guy standing right there open cage.

Fossy21

Nobel Prize Deke
Mar 14, 2013
Kupari by far Finland's best player so far aside from the goalie, of course.

Fossy21

Nobel Prize Deke
Mar 14, 2013
Glad that wasn't Vaakanainen with the clearing attempt on the PK, horrible effort.

Fossy21

Nobel Prize Deke
Mar 14, 2013
Finns not generating many chances.Swedish D moves pucks fast.

They played just about a perfect 20 minutes. Expect the Finns to come out furiously and possibly tie it up. Also expect a power play or two for them.

Paddington

Mar 8, 2011
Toronto
It sounds like Keyser played well. I'm really hoping that the Bruins can find a good young goalie soon. I look at all the good young forward and D depth the Bruins have and every now and again I wonder to myself how many good years Tuukka has left.

Great hustle by Lauko to break up that 2 on 1. I don't really keep up with junior-aged players but from the few clips I've seen of him recently, he has shown some heart and jump. Although, I may be mistaken but I think he was the one who turned the puck over to start the 2 on 1. You know what they say, it's funny how the guy who turns it over is usually the one that hustles back the hardest. :laugh:

Fossy21

Nobel Prize Deke
Mar 14, 2013
Brutal officiating..Almost corrupt looking the way Finland is getting sent to box.

They could've had a couple more in the first period (including a blatant 5 second long too many men). Don't like that late hit rule, at least if that was correctly applied there (didn't look more than half a second late, maybe). Ginning was smart in drawing the second minor, though, the Finn wasn't in taking it.

Brännström wants that hat trick, lol. Not the best-timed shot attempt.

And the ref just made up for it, couldn't possibly give the Swedes 40 more seconds of 5 on 3 but that was a blatant penalty too on the zone entry, lol. Hope they don't lose the game any more.

Reactions: 22Brad Park

22Brad Park

Nov 23, 2008
Calgary AB
They could've had a couple more in the first period (including a blatant 5 second long too many men). Don't like that late hit rule, at least if that was correctly applied there (didn't look more than half a second late, maybe). Ginning was smart in drawing the second minor, though, the Finn wasn't in taking it.

Brännström wants that hat trick, lol. Not the best-timed shot attempt.

I cannot stand watching the steady parade to box in this tournament.

Chief Nine

May 31, 2015
I have only watched bits and pieces, but I was not impressed with Q Hughes at all. He made some nice plays, but I found myself asking this kid was the 7th pick?

Haha. Shows what I know then! From what I saw in the little bit I watched he looked very poised but that’s just a few mins of that game so don’t go by what I say

Fossy21

Nobel Prize Deke
Mar 14, 2013
I cannot stand watching the steady parade to box in this tournament.

I agree, especially when the PP percentages are generally so high. Finland hasn't been in this game, though, so it's fairly logical. And as soon as they create a chance, they get their PP. Hope Vaaka gets some PP time.

Fossy21

Nobel Prize Deke
Mar 14, 2013
Finland looking like a completely different team after that PP. Good for the game. And another stupid penalty kills it... Charge, interference, take your pick. Actually, not really interference. But left skates and elevated into the head along the boards.

GloryDaze4877

Barely Irrelevant
Jun 27, 2006
The Sticks (West MA)
I feel bad for those Denmark kids

Normally, I would say at this level, if you don’t want them scoring, then stop them. However, I didn’t like the fact that CAN appeared to keep running their top players out even with the score 10-0. I could be wrong, but it seemed like Comtois and others were still out there right until the end. A bit unnecessary imo.

Fossy21

Nobel Prize Deke
Mar 14, 2013
Why is the ticker consistently 3-6 seconds off from the official time? Embarrassing.

BBB24

Aug 12, 2010
Saskatchewan
Normally, I would say at this level, if you don’t want them scoring, then stop them. However, I didn’t like the fact that CAN appeared to keep running their top players out even with the score 10-0. I could be wrong, but it seemed like Comtois and others were still out there right until the end. A bit unnecessary imo.
They were out there for every power play, Hunter explained after the game that he is concerned about Canadas PP so he kept rolling both units. He didn’t like it but with this type of tournament, very little practice times he used this game as one.

DominicT

Sep 6, 2009
Stratford Ontario
dom.hockey
That's the thing with this set up. If they eased up at 10 the US or Russia would surely put up 11 or 12. Remember GF GA differential is the first tie breaker.

Never take your foot off the gas

Fossy21

Nobel Prize Deke
Mar 14, 2013
Kakko just about the only one creating anything for Finland. Finally rewarded with the assist. And he serves up the game tying goal just afterwards! But fanned on. Joy to watch him with the puck on his stick. Actually, the pass was too close to the skates.

Tolvanen will probably tie this up because he's had a pretty bad game.

45 straight wins in the group stage for Sweden. Finland are only going to get better, though. Luukkonen was great, as was Kakko.

Urho was as expected. Stable for the most part, only one real blunder, in the third period.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad