GDT: 2019 IIHF U20 WJC (HF Sharks)

The Nemesis

Semper Tyrannus
Apr 11, 2005
Langley, BC
The Danes are running out of gas.

Also before the 2nd goal, the russian dudes sitting next to me were having a slow-burn meltdown. It was kind of hilarious :laugh:

Reactions: Sandisfan

The Nemesis

Semper Tyrannus
Apr 11, 2005
Langley, BC
Valiant effort from Denmark. After giving up 14 last night they played well to just surrender 3 today and also keep pace with Russia on the shot clock.

Russians played pretty crappy, but I won't take this away from the Danes.

CJL182

Oct 9, 2008
Good luck. You'll never find senior women's tourney merch anywhere. I can't imagine there'll be much call for stuff from a tournament that's under-18
:( I have a friend in Hokkaido, but not close to Obihiro. If there's anything, I'm sure they're only at the venue, but will still ask her to keep her eyes out for anything.

The Nemesis

Semper Tyrannus
Apr 11, 2005
Langley, BC
So besides Pitbull, the "official song" for this tournament is some awful country song.

Why does Hockey Canada hate me all of a sudden?

At least the arena played Seek & Destroy during a break.

The Nemesis

Semper Tyrannus
Apr 11, 2005
Langley, BC
minimal Pitbull achieved!

But I paid for it in karma

In the stands during player of the game awards: woo!

After the anthem: woo!

In the concourse: woo!

Outside the gate: woo!

Down the street: woo!

At the train station: woo!

On the train for the next 3 stops: woo!

The Nemesis

Semper Tyrannus
Apr 11, 2005
Langley, BC
I really want to hear the Danish goal song. Just for confirmation that it's better than Canada's. Like the entire rest of the group's.

If only True and Blichfeld were still eligible.

The Nemesis

Semper Tyrannus
Apr 11, 2005
Langley, BC
As I continue to wrap my head around the seething hatred I feel for Pitbull and his stupid goddamn song that I've heard played 19 times in the last 2 days, a thought occurs to me:

One of the major marketing hustles/sell-jobs that the in-arena media crew (ie the video packages and the live hosted segments and plugs) are doing is all about Canadian music and how during intermissions they remark on all the music from Canada and promise to play songs by Canadian artists (or an unfortunately narrow batch of Canadian artists that they pad out with about 30% of the packages being Tragically Hip songs). And yet they chose to make Canada's goal song something sung by an American where half the lyrics are in neither of Canada's official languages.

I sincerely hope the irony of that decision is not lost on the event organizers. However, I am rational enough to expect that they won't care because they're too busy to stop partying and notice.

BaileyMacTavish

Hockey lovin' wolf
Nov 8, 2010
San Jose
I really hope Sasha gets more ice time. His utilization is baffling. He shouldn't be a 4th line grinder; and DEFNITELY should be higher up in the line up over Noah Cates. How does a dude that has 7 points in 16 games (College vs Jrs yada yada) get top 6 minutes.

The Nemesis

Semper Tyrannus
Apr 11, 2005
Langley, BC
I really hope Sasha gets more ice time. His utilization is baffling. He shouldn't be a 4th line grinder; and DEFNITELY should be higher up in the line up over Noah Cates. How does a dude that has 7 points in 16 games (College vs Jrs yada yada) get top 6 minutes.

How does Melker Karlsson continue to get bumped up the lineup when Pete hits "puree" on the blender?

Coaches have favorites and far be it from petty things like "logic", "rationality" or "sensible and empirically backed decisions made with both purpose and process" get in the way of doing what they will.

Barrie22

Shark fan in hiding
Aug 11, 2009
ontario
As I continue to wrap my head around the seething hatred I feel for Pitbull and his stupid goddamn song that I've heard played 19 times in the last 2 days, a thought occurs to me:

One of the major marketing hustles/sell-jobs that the in-arena media crew (ie the video packages and the live hosted segments and plugs) are doing is all about Canadian music and how during intermissions they remark on all the music from Canada and promise to play songs by Canadian artists (or an unfortunately narrow batch of Canadian artists that they pad out with about 30% of the packages being Tragically Hip songs). And yet they chose to make Canada's goal song something sung by an American where half the lyrics are in neither of Canada's official languages.

I sincerely hope the irony of that decision is not lost on the event organizers. However, I am rational enough to expect that they won't care because they're too busy to stop partying and notice.

The organizers have nothing to do with the selection of the goal song though.

That is all on the players.

The Nemesis

Semper Tyrannus
Apr 11, 2005
Langley, BC
It's actually this one (a Russian version of it, of course):

Ahh, didn't know. It sounded vaguely folk-song like. Plus it inspired the kind of rhythmic clapping along that you usually get out of folk songs (badly in the case of the mostly Canadian audience, who clapped off-rhythm compared to the Russian fans who sounded much more on point)

Thanks for the info.

Still better than Pitbull :laugh:

The Nemesis

Semper Tyrannus
Apr 11, 2005
Langley, BC
I just realized that the one thing the WJCs are missing is a meme-worthy piece of stock techno music as a theme like the Spengler Cup has.

(yes, I know the YT references Spore. It's the same music that the Spengler Cup uses.)

:sarcasm::laugh:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad