Not open for further replies.

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
? It's a great deal.

No, it's not. It's certainly not a bad deal like, say, Tanev to Pittsburgh, but it's by no means "great". The fact that other teams were offering only three years and Vancouver offered a 4th with trade protection kinda shows you how desperate they are.

What details?

I just don't like the full NMC the first two years. He gets a modified NTC so the good news is for the Canux is that they don't have to protect him in the expansion draft. It's just yet another way Benning and Weisbrod painted themselves into a corner. Now that Chia is gone he is without a doubt the league's worst GM.

Foppberg

Nov 20, 2016
Summerside, PEI
No, it's not. It's certainly not a bad deal like, say, Tanev to Pittsburgh, but it's by no means "great". The fact that other teams were offering only three years and Vancouver offered a 4th with trade protection kinda shows you how desperate they are.

I just don't like the full NMC the first two years. He gets a modified NTC so the good news is for the Canux is that they don't have to protect him in the expansion draft. It's just yet another way Benning and Weisbrod painted themselves into a corner. Now that Chia is gone he is without a doubt the league's worst GM.
3.5M for Ferland is a fine deal lol

Pokecheque

Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
4 years for a 27 year old. There's nothing to be upset about with that deal.

There's potential for there to be, you make it sound like there's no risk whatsoever, and I don't think that's true. Again, I get that I may be in the minority here, but I don't like that deal, and I like even less that the Canucks are the ones who did it.

UncleRisto

Not Great, Bob!
Jul 7, 2012
Finland
There's potential for there to be, you make it sound like there's no risk whatsoever, and I don't think that's true. Again, I get that I may be in the minority here, but I don't like that deal, and I like even less that the Canucks are the ones who did it.
Deals at $3-4 are pretty easy to deal with even when they fail horribly.

Balthazar

I haven't talked to the trainers yet
Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
Ferland is the most team friendly deal signed this summer this side of Labanc.

Pokecheque

Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
Deals at $3-4 are pretty easy to deal with even when they fail horribly.

Yeah, I'm sure Greg Sherman thought that when he was signing all those marginal talents to 3-4 year deals back in the day and yet the Avs still somehow ran out of cap room. And Benning has done the same thing more or less, signed a number of bad contracts that, by themselves might not be horrible, but add up to a team without sufficient cap space to sign their best pure scorer (also add to that the fact they have $3 million in dead cap space because of Luongo's retirement). It's even worse because they potentially might give up a lottery pick thanks to the Miller trade, and are in a situation where everyone knows they HAVE to move Eriksson's contract before they sign Boeser. Not a good position to be in at the negotiation table with a team that has the cap space.

It's not a good deal IMO, and it's far, far worse that the Canucks are the one to sign it because they really didn't have the cap room to do so.

Reactions: cgf

McMetal

Writer of Wrongs
Sep 29, 2015
3.5m for a middle sixer like Ferland is fair enough, but the term is a little long for a guy who's injured as often as he is, and the trade protection was completely unnecessary for a deal signed so long after July 1.

Pokecheque

Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
3.5m for a middle sixer like Ferland is fair enough, but the term is a little long for a guy who's injured as often as he is, and the trade protection was completely unnecessary for a deal signed so long after July 1.

Exactly, they gave not one, but TWO concessions to a guy who wasn't garnering a ton of interest. Why? Again, I think Vancouver's desperate. If they fail to get to the postseason, I think Benning's in big trouble, and Green might be as well. I could just see Weisbrod laughing maniacally as he takes the reins in that instance :laugh:

I'm really curious as to why and how things fell apart between the Canucks and Jake Gardiner. Now THAT would've been a good signing IMO. It got so far that I think Friedman said in 31 Thoughts that Gardiner told a Canucks employee on the golf course that he was headed their way.

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016
Aav is great for Ferland imo. But 4 years for someone who’s that injury prone as a power forward does scare me a little but he’s relatively cheap so he wouldn’t be impossible to move imo. . Would’ve preferred for the avs to go a little over 3.5 per to get a 2 year deal had they acquired Ferland, and maybe they did.

McMetal

Writer of Wrongs
Sep 29, 2015
I'm really curious as to why and how things fell apart between the Canucks and Jake Gardiner. Now THAT would've been a good signing IMO. It got so far that I think Friedman said in 31 Thoughts that Gardiner told a Canucks employee on the golf course that he was headed their way.
I'm kind of surprised Gardiner has lasted as long as this, but I think his reputation from Toronto is well deserved and I'm glad the Avs aren't in on him. He's just not a good defenseman, but I figured his point totals would get him paid somewhere.

Pokecheque

Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
I'm kind of surprised Gardiner has lasted as long as this, but I think his reputation from Toronto is well deserved and I'm glad the Avs aren't in on him. He's just not a good defenseman, but I figured his point totals would get him paid somewhere.

Well, one of the reasons he may have looked so bad in Game 7 this postseason was because they brought him back from a pretty serious back injury and he clearly wasn't 100%. That doesn't necessarily account for all the fan frustration but it appears some teams are seriously concerned about investing in him long-term if there's an ongoing back issue. He'll probably have to settle for a short-term deal.

Still, a short-term, maybe slightly more expensive deal in terms of AAV for Gardiner would've made a ton more sense than that horrid Myers signing.

I'm guessing Gardiner signs in Montreal, that would IMO also be a good signing since they don't have anyone like him in their current lineup.

avsfan09

Dec 17, 2010
Nova Scotia
Ferland is the most team friendly deal signed this summer this side of Labanc.
I still don't understand why the hell he would take that contract. He's had one productive season and he's risking injury and not repeating it. Wilson may have told him he would be paid back in the future but that's easy to say and it seems like Labanc is taking all of the risk.

Reactions: NOTENOUGHBREWER

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
I'm not so sure they believe it's their best chance, notably because I don't think Kyle Dubas and the Leafs front office believe Mike Babcock is the best coach for this young team going forward. I do believe they loaded up for one last go under his wing, but if they do anything less than win it all, I think Babs is gone and Sheldon Keefe will get the reins, and of course they'll be undergoing a pretty major retooling on the back end. They have two very high-end blueline prospects who'll probably be ready in 2021, I think THEN, with Keefe, will be their true window.

Friedman said that caving backfired with Nylander not only because they pretty much gave him what he wanted, but that he came back late and was pretty much useless for the remainder of the season. So, if they're gonna blink it's gonna be at or near the beginning of the season. If he still isn't signed by then, I think his days with the Leafs will be numbered.
This is the Leafs best chance to win any time in the near future, given their defence corps and their cap situation.

Regardless of what Friedman says, the Leafs are going to cave. They're not going to lose arguably their best player because of a money squabble. If they could go back in time and move William Nylander instead of caving, I'm sure they would have preferred that but it isn't going to happen with Mitch Marner. He's far too valuable to that team.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003

There's potential for there to be some risk, but it's not likely to hurt them that much. His offense would have to completely disappear for $3.5M to be a burden under an $81M+ cap.

If he gets so injured he can't play for long periods of time, they have LTIR to help them with cap relief. If they have to buy out his final year, he'll cost them roughly $1.6M and $900k for the following two years.

Lots of teams are paying for dead cap space though, even the competitive ones.

Vegas is paying $500k for Tatar. Dallas is paying $700k for Nichuskin. Toronto's still paying $1.2M each of the next three seasons for Kessel. SJ paid Paul Martin $2M last year, and will pay him $1.4M this coming year. Calgary's paying Troy Brouwer $1.5M for the next three years. NJ's paying $1.6M the next two years for Mike Cammalerri. CBJ is paying $2.7M for Tyutin and Hartnell. Boston's paying $3M+ for Belesky and Seidenberg. Philly's paying $3M+ for MacDonald, Schlemko, and Gudas. Tampa's still paying $1.8M for Matt Carle.

So the worst case scenario isn't really that bad for Ferland, and there's plenty of ways he can both live up to that contract, and make it a great deal.

RoyIsALegend

Gross Misconduct
Sponsor
Oct 24, 2008
Carl Soderberg + Scott Kosmachuk + 2020 2nd

for

Andre Burakovsky + Kevin Connauton

——

Was this a good trade?

Kosmachuk is just a body. Connauton is a 6/7 D. Soda outproduces Burakovsky by about 20 points. Then there’s the 2nd as well.

Would we have been better off keeping Soda?

Is Soda as a 3C worth more than Bura as (hopefully) a second line winger?

Gatorbait19

Apr 2, 2019
-6 players have had $10m+ cap hits previously (Kane, Toews, Kopitar, Tavares, Price, McDavid)

-12 players are signed for next season with $10m+ cap hits, with a few more to come

-No player with a $10m+ cap hit has ever advanced past the first round

-What does this have to do with anything? Jack shit - but it’s a looong offseason.

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan
-6 players have had $10m+ cap hits previously (Kane, Toews, Kopitar, Tavares, Price, McDavid)

-12 players are signed for next season with $10m+ cap hits, with a few more to come

-What does this have to do with anything? Jack **** - but it’s a looong offseason.

I assume with Kane and Toews its specifically since signing their deals?

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL

-What does this have to do with anything? Jack **** - but it’s a looong offseason.
I was reading Luszczyszyn's article about the ten worst contracts in the league and Kane with Toews doesn't damage them as much as Seabrook's 6.875 million for another 5 years does. Using Dom's volumetric witchcraft, that was shown to be the worst contract in the league by far.

Drew Doughty had a higher negative value (with a higher positive probability), but Brent is 34 ****ing year's old at the moment and still has five years. I hope to God there is a recapture penalty on that if he retires early.

Reactions: cgf

AllAboutAvs

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 25, 2006
I might be wrong but with a two year NMC I think they will have to protect him because the XD is before July 1st which is when his 3rd year kicks in. So technically he will still be on his NMC when the XD happens. Maybe somebody can confirm that? Hench?

Last edited:

AllAboutAvs

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 25, 2006
I was reading Luszczyszyn's article about the ten worst contracts in the league and Kane with Toews doesn't damage them as much as Seabrook's 6.875 million for another 5 years does. Using Dom's volumetric witchcraft, that was shown to be the worst contract in the league by far.

Drew Doughty had a higher negative value (with a higher positive probability), but Brent is 34 ****ing year's old at the moment and still has five years. I hope to God there is a recapture penalty on that if he retires early.
He won't be a problem because he will develop an allergy to his helmet.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad