Rumor: 2019 Free Agent Tranquility Part III

Status
Not open for further replies.

Foppa Frossa

May 11, 2006
Denver, CO
From the other thread, I went to High School with Peter McNab's daughter. Peter would always work the After Prom parties, usually dealing blackjack - I would spend a couple hours playing blackjack and talking hockey with him. My date was a little annoyed with me. :laugh:

Balthazar

I haven't talked to the trainers yet
Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
After it's all said and done seems like we'll have around 5-6M in cap space for the season.

Which isn't much considering we had the most cap space not long ago, we lost Barrie and only add Kadri on a good contract, Burakovsky and Donskoi.

I know we retain on Barrie and Rants is taking a lot of money but still...

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
So we likely have 6.5M in cap space this year...

Next summer we should have that same 6.5M... along with Orpik(1.5M), Barrie(2.75M), Burakovsky(3.25M), Wilson(2.6M), Barberio(1.45M), Connauton(1.325M), Nieto(2M), Zadorov(3.25M)

And probably another 1-5M cap increase

So roughly ~25.5M upwards of 29.5M of the cap rises substantially.

With Girard, Zadorov, and Jost as the only potentially expensive deals next summer.

The way I see it, Girard likely gets a long term deal in the 4M neighborhood. Zadorov either gets traded, or he earns himself a long term deal in that same 4M neighborhood. Jost best case scenario for himself a bridge in the 3.5M range(And IMO he only gets this if he hits 45 points this year).

So... likely something like 15-16M in cap again next summer to play around with. We should be all in on Taylor Hall this season. Get him here by Christmas if you can and show him what playing for a cup contender that's expected to go deep into the playoffs feels like.

We wouldn't have much problem signing Hall if we got him here. He wants to play for a contending team and with Hall we'd be a favorite no question.

Reactions: Makar to MacK

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
Whatever happened with Greer’s fight stuff? Did the charges get dropped?

Nothing new that I can see, charges still pending. I'm guessing this ends with some kind of plea deal and a slap on the wrist. I think the writing has been on the wall for Greer for a while now, but this likely hastens his departure in some way.

Thepoolmaster

Dec 3, 2011
So we likely have 6.5M in cap space this year...

Next summer we should have that same 6.5M... along with Orpik(1.5M), Barrie(2.75M), Burakovsky(3.25M), Wilson(2.6M), Barberio(1.45M), Connauton(1.325M), Nieto(2M), Zadorov(3.25M)

And probably another 1-5M cap increase

So roughly ~25.5M upwards of 29.5M of the cap rises substantially.

With Girard, Zadorov, and Jost as the only potentially expensive deals next summer.

The way I see it, Girard likely gets a long term deal in the 4M neighborhood. Zadorov either gets traded, or he earns himself a long term deal in that same 4M neighborhood. Jost best case scenario for himself a bridge in the 3.5M range(And IMO he only gets this if he hits 45 points this year).

So... likely something like 15-16M in cap again next summer to play around with. We should be all in on Taylor Hall this season. Get him here by Christmas if you can and show him what playing for a cup contender that's expected to go deep into the playoffs feels like.

We wouldn't have much problem signing Hall if we got him here. He wants to play for a contending team and with Hall we'd be a favorite no question.

I don't think the devils have any intention of trading Hall. They just added Subban and look like they are going for the playoffs. Even if they fall flat they may still try to hang on to him to try to sign him and show some improvement from the year before.

Pokecheque

Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
Also, I think the Leafs will not back down to Marner like they did with Nylander. Friedman implied the Leafs regret the way they handled that situation, and they're not going to make the same mistake. And really, if Marner wants Matthews money, they should probably just move him or make him sit out this season. Of course, they do that, it makes for one insane 2020 offseason with only one defenseman under contract at that point.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
We'll still be in a good spot if we spend on another core piece while keeping all of our guys, even beyond next summer. Cole, Calvert & PEB coming off the books in 2021, could open almost 9M, on top of two years of cap rises...and that's before we lose Compher or Donskoi to the XD, or possibly also shave 4M off of EJ's caphit; if he won't waive. With Landy, Gru & Cale needing new deals, the first 2 of whom will probably require <6M in raises.

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
Also, I think the Leafs will not back down to Marner like they did with Nylander. Friedman implied the Leafs regret the way they handled that situation, and they're not going to make the same mistake. And really, if Marner wants Matthews money, they should probably just move him or make him sit out this season. Of course, they do that, it makes for one insane 2020 offseason with only one defenseman under contract at that point.
The Leafs are going to cave, make no mistake about it. They caved with Nylander, they gave Matthews exactly what he wanted, they aren't going to let Marner sit out this season and have what happened to Nylander happen to him. Not when this upcoming season is arguably their best chance to win a Stanley Cup.

Pokecheque

Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
The Leafs are going to cave, make no mistake about it. They caved with Nylander, they gave Matthews exactly what he wanted, they aren't going to let Marner sit out this season and have what happened to Nylander happen to him. Not when this upcoming season is arguably their best chance to win a Stanley Cup.

I'm not so sure they believe it's their best chance, notably because I don't think Kyle Dubas and the Leafs front office believe Mike Babcock is the best coach for this young team going forward. I do believe they loaded up for one last go under his wing, but if they do anything less than win it all, I think Babs is gone and Sheldon Keefe will get the reins, and of course they'll be undergoing a pretty major retooling on the back end. They have two very high-end blueline prospects who'll probably be ready in 2021, I think THEN, with Keefe, will be their true window.

Friedman said that caving backfired with Nylander not only because they pretty much gave him what he wanted, but that he came back late and was pretty much useless for the remainder of the season. So, if they're gonna blink it's gonna be at or near the beginning of the season. If he still isn't signed by then, I think his days with the Leafs will be numbered.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad