World Cup: 2019 FIFA Women's World Cup - II

Discussion in 'Soccer' started by TP, Jun 25, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. HawksFan74

HawksFan74 Tread Lightly

2. Baxterman

Baxterman Registered User

I don't think it is all that good for the sport because I think if all you are getting is shock or outrage news that doesn't really build a fanbase. Sure it creates short term interest but the goal should be getting fans not eyeballs to see if they do any crazy celebrations.

3. Plub

Plub Part time Leaf fan

People being salty don't generally realize it. It's absolutely salt. Why shouldn't they be confident?

4. Baxterman

Did I ever say they shouldn't be confident?

Fans also tend to throw out terms like salt,"haters" and jealousy when people make legitimate complaints about their team that they don't want to hear.

Someone said the English commentators are salty I haven;t heard them so maybe they are but reading this thread, listening to coverage elsewhere and reading on some other sites I have yet to see salt at all.

5. Plub

Plub Part time Leaf fan

Of course you don't.

The U.S. women's team is and has been incredibly popular. This isn't some one off year built out of "shock" and "outrage".

6. Baxterman

Except we weren't talking about their popularity we were talking about their personality getting attention.

7. DoyleG

DoyleG Mr. Reality

The problem is the type of person that follows the USWNT isn't really someone that is a soccer follower in general. I saw much of this after the US Men were eliminated in the 2018 WCQ. Women's supporters couldn't stop trolling the men in regards to their "failure" and the "women's" success. Especially so in the feminist and the LGBTQ community, which follow the women's team without question or objection (except when demanding that Ellis be sacked, which is still constant even now). With the World Cup, those numbers of fans got even bigger and more obnoxious, including fans that may not have back them originally for political or social reasons.

One of the absurdities I saw online was the complaints from American fans after the Sweden game in Le Harve about the lack of Uber or "Special Trains" to take them back to their hotels in Paris.:facepalm:

I though the crying over the turf issues (which was baseless and unfounded) was bad enough.

Uncle Rotter likes this.
  8. DoyleG

DoyleG Mr. Reality

Women's soccer suffers from "Olympic Syndrome" in that they can't get the popularity they want to continue outside of the World Cup. The "Victory Tour" after the last win was horribly attended and the qualifiers outside of the US team also have bad attendance (even the US team had trouble drawing fans).

Hence, they generate their own publicity to help overstate their importance.

9. Roman Fell

Roman Fell 通常のもの

Two classless subbans!! :mad:

kingsboy11 and ecemleafs like this.
  10. Rob

Rob Registered User

Home Page:
    Are the Men any better attendance wise though?

11. jj cale

jj cale Registered User

Nothing against the U.S team but wasn't crazy about the tea drinking move by Morgan, there is being cocky/confident and then there is bush league stuff like that.

I am sure every American fan here will be on me now but it's the way I see it, I don't believe you rub it in like that. The day will come when they aren't on top anymore and payback might not be much fun for them.Best to keep that in mind and not make yourself a target, at least that is the way i see it.

I mean, why not just celebrate your goal normally and move on? Didn't see the point of that move.

Having said that, I like watching them play the game, they have an entertaining team.

Last edited: Jul 2, 2019
  12. kingsboy11

kingsboy11 Queens of the World

1. I hardly saw any of that and if there was it was a small minority.

2. You don't think not having any Ubers after a sporting event is ridiculous? Wouldn't you be annoyed?

3. Come on. Do you honestly think FIFA would ever force the men's team to play on turf in the World Cup? Hell even in the last month, the USMNT played a Gold Cup warmup game against Venezuela in Cincinnati on grass. And in May the USWNT played a friendly against New Zealand on turf. They installed grass for the men and not women.

And this is from a few years ago.

13. Plub

Plub Part time Leaf fan

So people being upset that the city wasn't more prepared for a large sporting event is something that surprises you? Interesting.

14. FMichael

FMichael Registered User

I thought the tea drinking with the pinky up was funny, but that's just me...I honestly don't know enough, or watch enough of soccer/football to know what is, or isn't 'acceptable' when it comes time for a celebration...Although the trouncing the USA women gave Thailand was a bit overdone, and cringe worthy...

15. jj cale

jj cale Registered User

I suppose it is funny when you're on the winning side, when you are on the losing side however......................wouldn't go over well and I can see why. It's rubbing it in and there is no need for it.

This is a great U.S womens football team, they don't need to engage in that stuff IMO.

FMichael likes this.
  16. Live in the Now

Live in the Now Registered User

Awards:
    Do you know how far it is from Le Havre to Paris? It's 200 km. You would maybe find three people willing to drive that for what Uber gives drivers.

17. hatterson

hatterson Registered User

Software Developer
    Shots on goal were equal, possession was about equal, and I think England had the better chances. Not only the penalty and offside goal as mentioned, but forcing a brilliant save right after the US goal, and the chance where the attacker slipped at the top of the box or would have likely had an incredibly dangerous chance or a goal.

I’m not sure what about today’s game would tell you that England is clearly behind the US.

If that game is played again 10 times, it’s likely about 5 US wins, 2 English wins, and 3 draws.

That’s far from what you’d expect if England isn’t a team with the talent to “stop the USA on their march.”

tuozzi likes this.
  18. hatterson

hatterson Registered User

Software Developer
    It’s the same as watching a game in Philly and getting pissed that no Ubers want to take them to New York to their hotel.

19. Live in the Now

Live in the Now Registered User

Awards:
    Yeah at 11 PM. Guy driving that fare wouldn't get home until around 4 AM and that's kind of generous and assuming he won't stop much. Seriously get a grip.

Considering the country of the people complaining it isn't particularly surprising though. Where we come from if you want to fix your house you just go to Home Depot, hire some guy to do it for you, and pay them way less than minimum wage because they don't have papers.

20. VLK

VLK Registered User

I expect Sweden to make to the final.

21. YNWA14

YNWA14 Onbreekbaar

Nothing in this topic is surprising.

Hup Holland!

KrejciMVP likes this.
  22. tuozzi

tuozzi Registered User

This to me is the crux of it. What Americans consider confidence Europeans tend to consider arrogance. Cultural differences..

23. VLK

VLK Registered User

These days people are so easily offended. Some people even look for opportunities to get offended.

Roman Fell likes this.
  24. gary69

gary69 Registered User

CEO, real estate
    All she needs to add is an abundance of tattoos, still time to get them for the final.

Stray Wasp likes this.
  25. bleedblue1223

bleedblue1223 Registered User

The majority of the time, yes.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.