2019 Entry Draft Thread Part II

Status
Not open for further replies.

dackelljuneaubulis02

Oct 13, 2012
I think both look to be more in the 2C mold or 1B mold like Bergeron. Dach has more offensive potential but I have my doubts he puts it all together. Cozen has everything you want in a C, literally nothing is lacking. Hes just not going to produce 80 points, at least, not from what Ive seen.

Dach has the playmaking for it but he doesnt shopy and his shot isnt as lethal as it should be, nor are his hands or his skating.

Id be looking at Turcotte or Hughes first, maybe Newhook.

I know you're a big Kotka fan. If you don't think Cozens can be a legit #1, do you think Kotka may end up better?

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
I know you're a big Kotka fan. If you don't think Cozens can be a legit #1, do you think Kotka may end up better?
Kotkanieni has high end hands and his playmaking and both shooting ability is better than Cozens. Similar for Dach, Dach has similar hands and playmaking to Kotka but Kotkaniemis Kotkaniemis wrister is so much better.

Habs76

Nov 11, 2014
Fredericton, NB
I think both look to be more in the 2C mold or 1B mold like Bergeron. Dach has more offensive potential but I have my doubts he puts it all together. Cozen has everything you want in a C, literally nothing is lacking. Hes just not going to produce 80 points, at least, not from what Ive seen.

Dach has the playmaking for it but he doesnt shopy and his shot isnt as lethal as it should be, nor are his hands or his skating.

Id be looking at Turcotte or Hughes first, maybe Newhook.
Couldn't agree more on the Cozens take, I see where you're coming from with Dach too.

I haven't seen much of Turcotte- just few games from last year's U18's, so I'm not prepared to put him too high yet. I really like what I've heard though. And yes Newhook is a stud.

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
Couldn't agree more on the Cozens take, I see where you're coming from with Dach too.

I haven't seen much of Turcotte- just few games from last year's U18's, so I'm not prepared to put him too high yet. I really like what I've heard though. And yes Newhook is a stud.
I don't know wtf I meant by "shopy" :laugh: that typo.

Ive loved Turcotte, guy is as dynamic a forward as Ive seen in the past few years. He has all the skills to be a high end C. Some comparables Id have : Duchene, Datsyuk, Crosby.

I really need to watch some Newhook... Was hoping to catch him at the u18 but yeah... meh. I hate the AJHL and BCHL.

Habs76

Nov 11, 2014
Fredericton, NB
I don't know wtf I meant by "shopy" :laugh: that typo.

Ive loved Turcotte, guy is as dynamic a forward as Ive seen in the past few years. He has all the skills to be a high end C. Some comparables Id have : Duchene, Datsyuk, Crosby.

I really need to watch some Newhook... Was hoping to catch him at the u18 but yeah... meh. I hate the AJHL and BCHL.
What's wrong with the Jr. A route? I'm personally a fan. I've found a lot of players in those leagues get real underrated, there are some real hidden gems. The popularity of the BCHL especially is rapidly growing, we see more and more players drafted from that league every year, and there's a strong possibility we see three picks in the first two rounds alone out of the BCHL: Newhook, Blaisdell, Rizzo.

It doesn't rival the USHL of course and certainly not the CHL in terms of quality of play, but in terms of development, maybe. And even if it's not ideal, I'm a huge fan of players playing in the NCAA, soooo

G0bias

Oct 4, 2007
MTL
I'm willing to give Dach the season before I make any final judgements on his shot. Kotkaniemi didn't look outstanding this time last year at the Hlinka, his stride and first step have come a long way since.

He acknowledged he needs to shoot more and plans on working on his shot this year, so there's that. The goal totals aren't too important for me, I mostly want to see he can also be dangerous from a distance.

Last edited:

WeThreeKings

Habs cup - its in the BAG
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
I'm willing to give Dach the season before I make any final judgements on his shot. Kotkaniemi didn't look outstanding this time last year at the Hlinka, his stride and first step have come a long way since.

He acknowledged he needs to shoot more and plans on working on his shot this year, so there's that. The goal totals aren't too important for me, I mostly want to see he can also be dangerous from a distance.

His shot is actually pretty good. He just never uses it. A lot of his shot totals are bad angle shots trying to create rebound opportunities. Saw him do it a lot at the Hlinka too

Reactions: Andrei79

Andrei79

Jan 25, 2013
His shot is actually pretty good. He just never uses it. A lot of his shot totals are bad angle shots trying to create rebound opportunities. Saw him do it a lot at the Hlinka too

I was going to post the same thing.

He actually has a strong shot, with a good release and velocity to it.

He's still raw but there's too much upside. He's an easy top 5 guy for me right now.

Team Canada as a whole is deep this year. A complete 180 from last years team.

Reactions: WeThreeKings

Pompeius Magnus

May 18, 2014
Kanata ,ON
Without Weber (even with him really) for a large part of the season our defense is gonna be real suspect, barring Price being a miracle worker . If we go heavy with young guys on defense I can't see a scenario where we aren't a lottery team in 18-19. Guys like Mete and Juulsen will still be in the learning process.

Last edited:

WeThreeKings

Habs cup - its in the BAG
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
Without Weber (even with him really) for a large part of the season our defense is gonna be real suspect, barring Price being a miracle worker . If we go heavy with young guys on defense I can't see a scenario where we aren't a lottery team in 18-19. Guys like Mete and Juulsen will still be in the learning process.

They shouldn't even touch the ice.

Alzner-Petry
Oullete-Benn
Despres-Schlemko
Lernout.

Reactions: jayhabsvgk

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
Kaliyev is so good.

Just watching another game of his again... Damn. He didn't play much too... Does anyone know if we can get P/60 for OHLers somewhere?

Stive Morgan

Mhm. Mhm. Mhm.
Jul 25, 2011
British Columbia
No disrespect to Kotkaniemi but I'm pretty sure Cozens is going to be better. Hell, he might be better than him already. 2019 is just that stacked. This might be my West coast bias speaking, though.

If we manage to somehow get both I will cry. Cozens/Kotka would be a hell of a 1 2 punch (unless we get Hughes of course ;))

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
No disrespect to Kotkaniemi but I'm pretty sure Cozens is going to be better. Hell, he might be better than him already. 2019 is just that stacked. This might be my West coast bias speaking, though.

If we manage to somehow get both I will cry. Cozens/Kotka would be a hell of a 1 2 punch (unless we get Hughes of course ;))
I still think Kotkaniemi has better tools than Cozens, but cozens is not bad at all. Right now Id take Hughes and Turcotte ahead of Kotkaniemi, no one else.

Reactions: Stive Morgan

G0bias

Oct 4, 2007
MTL
Seems like it must make sense, Kaliyev falls at 4th overall for G/60. Kid is going to be a stud.
Second only to Svechnikov in ES G/60.
There's a few question marks to Kaliyev's game but there's no denying that shot and goalscorer's instincts.

Reactions: Mrb1p
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad