NHL Entry Draft 2019 Entry Draft Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

QuietOnTheFront

@QuietOnTheFront
Jun 17, 2011
Vancouver, BC
Had the opportunity to watch Bowen Byram twice in the last week... he’s a beast.

Loves to lead the rush and carry the puck, as well as jump up in the play. Probably the strongest part of his game as well as his passing, both are elite level. Doesn't look big but he’s got a motor and intensity to his game that makes him play bigger than he is. Plays a great two way game from what I saw, was a staple on both special teams. Giants won both games and it seemed like he was in on everything. He’s a big reason why they’re on their way to the Dub finals.

Hope he doesn’t land in our division.

Reactions: Sens in Process

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
I am sure there are others but two players who's stock rose in the U18s are Jamieson Rees and Alex Newhook. Rees ranked 30th in NA skaters by CS is a fiesty, no quit kind of player that tries to make something happen every shift. He struggled with injuries playing for the Sting in the OHL. I would not be surprised to see him in the late first. Sens picking him at 32 would be a really good pick imo. Newhook; ranked 13th in NA skaters by CS; had some question marks because he had been passed over before by Team Canada and he plays in the BCHL (which he dominated). Newhook imo, looked like one of Canada's best players. Played on a line with Krebs and Cozens for much of the tournament , but he was at least their equal in this tournament imo.. Newhook could have moved into the top 10 as a result. I would say zero chance he's there at 18/19.

RAFI BOMB

May 11, 2016
I am sure there are others but two players who's stock rose in the U18s are Jamieson Rees and Alex Newhook. Rees ranked 30th in NA skaters by CS is a fiesty, no quit kind of player that tries to make something happen every shift. He struggled with injuries playing for the Sting in the OHL. I would not be surprised to see him in the late first. Sens picking him at 32 would be a really good pick imo. Newhook; ranked 13th in NA skaters by CS; had some question marks because he had been passed over before by Team Canada and he plays in the BCHL (which he dominated). Newhook imo, looked like one of Canada's best players. Played on a line with Krebs and Cozens for much of the tournament , but he was at least their equal in this tournament imo.. Newhook could have moved into the top 10 as a result. I would say zero chance he's there at 18/19.

Rees looks like a real solid pick. He has great compete level, an all around game and very underrated skill. I wonder why he didn't put up a ton of points this year.

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
Philip Broberg named best defenseman at the U18 WJC.
Most Valuable Player

Cole Caufield, USA

Directorate Awards

Best Goalie: Yaroslav Askarov, Russia
Best Defenceman: Philip Broberg, Sweden
Best Forward: Cole Caufield, USA

Media All-Star Team
Goaltender:
Yaroslav Askarov, Russia
Defence: Philip Broberg, Sweden
Defence: Cam York, USA
Forward: Cole Caufield, USA
Forward: Jack Hughes, USA
Forward: Rodion Amirov, Russia

Just 411 .. I doubt he gets past 15 :/

Amirov and Askarov are both 2020 Eligible. Askarov was pretty outstanding.

Last edited:
Reactions: Sensators

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
Philip Broberg named best defenseman at the U18 WJC.
Most Valuable Player

Cole Caufield, USA

Directorate Awards

Best Defenceman: Philip Broberg, Sweden
Best Forward: Cole Caufield, USA

Media All-Star Team
Goaltender:
Yaroslav Askarov, Russia
Defence: Philip Broberg, Sweden
Defence: Cam York, USA
Forward: Cole Caufield, USA
Forward: Jack Hughes, USA
Forward: Rodion Amirov, Russia

Just 411 .. I doubt he gets past 15 :/

Amirov and Askarov are both 2020 Eligible. Askarov was pretty outstanding.

Askarov would be a very good target for Ott with their 2nd 1st rd pick in 2020, it's most likely that this guy becomes a starter at some point in the future & having this much depth in net would not only be great but finally give Ott a shot at having a potential star goalie.

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
Askarov would be a very good target for Ott with their 2nd 1st rd pick in 2020, it's most likely that this guy becomes a starter at some point in the future & having this much depth in net would not only be great but finally give Ott a shot at having a potential star goalie.
He's not in this draft, 02' born

EDIT: My fault, bad reading comprehension

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
2019 Draft:
1st rd - Moritz Seider RD, Arthur Kaliyev LW, Rafael Lavoie C
2nd rd - Brett Leason RW, Nolan Foote LW or Spencer Knight G
2nd rd - Kaeden Korczak RD, Yegor Afanasyev LW or John Beecher C/LW
3rd rd - Josh Williams RW, Ethan Keppen LW or Jake Lee RD & lots more choices

2020 Draft:
1st rd - Quinten Byfield C
1st rd - Yaroslav Askorov G or Tyler Kleven LD

Alf Silfversson

Jun 8, 2011
IMO, you always go BPA in the 1st 2 rounds then you start maybe to think about positional depth a bit later.

With that in mind I've read good things about Martin Hugo Has (RD) and wouldn't mind seeing him picked in the 3rd round.

6'4 kid who can grow into himself and his game playing pro hockey in Europe and maybe come over as a plug and play bottom pairing, or even #4, D in a few years. Even looks to have some offensive instincts.

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
IMO, you always go BPA in the 1st 2 rounds then you start maybe to think about positional depth a bit later.

With that in mind I've read good things about Martin Hugo Has (RD) and wouldn't mind seeing him picked in the 3rd round.

6'4 kid who can grow into himself and his game playing pro hockey in Europe and maybe come over as a plug and play bottom pairing, or even #4, D in a few years. Even looks to have some offensive instincts.

Agreed on BPA, but a lot of the players I have identified could be both the best player available while also being an org need. I like Has too he could be on my list for the 3rd rd too.

If Seider, Lavoie or Kaliyev for example are available around where Ott picks they could be the best player available while at the same time filling an org need. I'm quite sure many teams have different players as their BPA & ranked differently. 2019 draft should be very interesting for Ott.

Sweatred

Erase me
Jan 28, 2019
I disagree with BPA. This team doesn’t need another under sized puck moving dman or goalie.

I think this is a year to draft an organizational need. We clearly need help on defence and lack scoring. I would hope the sens would have a short list of top D they would take if available . If they are not available I’d hope they flip over to best forward available.

Assuming we can avoid screwing up next years draft we are prob looking at a top forward. Our chance of landing a top d prospect in 2020 is limited to this year and SJ’s pick next year.

scallionjj11

FOREVERALFIE
Jun 10, 2009
East Coast
2019 Draft:
1st rd - Moritz Seider RD, Arthur Kaliyev LW, Rafael Lavoie C
2nd rd - Brett Leason RW, Nolan Foote LW or Spencer Knight G
2nd rd - Kaeden Korczak RD, Yegor Afanasyev LW or John Beecher C/LW
3rd rd - Josh Williams RW, Ethan Keppen LW or Jake Lee RD & lots more choices

2020 Draft:
1st rd - Quinten Byfield C
1st rd - Yaroslav Askorov G or Tyler Kleven LD

Goalie in the first round? Is he that good?

Tuna99

Sep 26, 2009
The young blue line in Colorado, the blue line in Carolina, SJ is stacked in their top 4, Boston is as solid and balanced as an NHL can dream, Columbus with studs in Weresnki, Jones and Savard, STL Blues have excellent experience and size.

Ottawa has to be looking at this, when you look at our depth it’s very good. Need more size on LD

In the FYOUS years, good puck movement, good mobility, good PP - lacking in PK and matchup pairing.

Chabot - Jaros
Bransstrom - Ceci
Wolanin - JBD
Lajoie

Seeing Krug and how solid he is on his skates and how he enjoys contact, and is like a little tree truck out there, if Brannstrom has that edge and engagement it completely changes the dynamic of our D. If Brannstrom plays like the best ever version of Chris Wideman, it’s not an elite D.if he does end up like Tory Krug we’ll have an excellent D for a long time, That’s the difference for us right now.

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
Goalie in the first round? Is he that good?
Check out SOA post … he was the best goalie in the U18 WJC & he will probably be ranked in the 1st rd in the 2020 draft. IMO they should get what they need in 2019 & with the 1st in 2020 & with their other 1st in 2020 draft this guy.

scallionjj11

FOREVERALFIE
Jun 10, 2009
East Coast
Check out SOA post … he was the best goalie in the U18 WJC & he will probably be ranked in the 1st rd in the 2020 draft. IMO they should get what they need in 2019 & with the 1st in 2020 & with their other 1st in 2020 draft this guy.

I know its hard to predict any goalies development but if he goes that high, how far out is he from playing in the show?

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
I know its hard to predict any goalies development but if he goes that high, how far out is he from playing in the show?
The earliest a goalie has made an impact in the past decade was Hart, he was drafted in 2016 and played 31 games this past year.

The quickest a guy became a legit starter (more than 40 games) was either Vasilevski or Murray 4 years after being drafted

He'd probably be a starter around 2023-24 if everything goes well

Sweatred

Erase me
Jan 28, 2019
The earliest a goalie has made an impact in the past decade was Hart, he was drafted in 2016 and played 31 games this past year.

The quickest a guy became a legit starter (more than 40 games) was either Vasilevski or Murray 4 years after being drafted

He'd probably be a starter around 2023-24 if everything goes well

We would barely have a spot for him to play. I really hope we don’t draft a goalie. Who own his CHL rights ?

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
I disagree with BPA. This team doesn’t need another under sized puck moving dman or goalie.

I think this is a year to draft an organizational need. We clearly need help on defence and lack scoring. I would hope the sens would have a short list of top D they would take if available . If they are not available I’d hope they flip over to best forward available.

Assuming we can avoid screwing up next years draft we are prob looking at a top forward. Our chance of landing a top d prospect in 2020 is limited to this year and SJ’s pick next year.

You don't step over a $10 bill to pick up a $5. If the guys we draft turn out as well as we hope, we can always trade a surplus for a position of need down the road.

Reactions: Sensators

Sen sational

Mar 27, 2019
You don't step over a $10 bill to pick up a $5. If the guys we draft turn out as well as we hope, we can always trade a surplus for a position of need down the road.
Nice analogy, however we will be picking in an area where the differential in quality will likely be more like would I step over a $5 bill to pick up $4.75 in change because I need to use a pay phone (left my cell on the bus). Assuming there is no huge differential, Ottawa needs RD and 1C, if we take them now we will get the ELC and cost controlled RFA years.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Nice analogy, however we will be picking in an area where the differential in quality will likely be more like would I step over a $5 bill to pick up $4.75 in change because I need to use a pay phone (left my cell on the bus). Assuming there is no huge differential, Ottawa needs RD and 1C, if we take them now we will get the ELC and cost controlled RFA years.
This analogy fails in a couple ways;

1. You don't know the actual end value of a drafted player, just an expected range and type of role it might fill. So you know it's change but not whether it will be enough to make a call.

2. You won't be able to use whatever option you pick up for 3 years or so, so you won't know whether you will still need to use a payphone when the money is ready to be used.

3. Continuing off point 2, you will have ample time to exchange whichever option you pick up for something that fills a present need down the road. If the bill ends up being a 5, you can swap it for quarters later if needed but if you find in 3 years you are now flush with quarters you aren't obliged to do so

Sweatred

Erase me
Jan 28, 2019

1. You don't know the actual end value of a drafted player, just an expected range and type of role it might fill. So you know it's change but not whether it will be enough to make a call.

2. You won't be able to use whatever option you pick up for 3 years or so, so you won't know whether you will still need to use a payphone when the money is ready to be used.

3. Continuing off point 2, you will have ample time to exchange whichever option you pick up for something that fills a present need down the road. If the bill ends up being a 5, you can swap it for quarters later if needed but if you find in 3 years you are now flush with quarters you aren't obliged to do so
I seriously doubt the BPA delta of the best forward vs best defensman at pick 20-30 is 2x the prospect value ($10 vs 5). The analogy does work - unless a top 5-7 type forwArd falls to the 20th pick it is a $4.74 vs $5.00 analogy or perhaps more like picking a penny stock at $.04 vs $0.5 and hoping to make a few bucks.

Sen sational

Mar 27, 2019

LOL, nicely crafted and reluctant to continue....but still don't agree

1 yes everyone we draft today will be subject to guessing, based on past performance. Today, I need to make my call so I need to make my decision today. The analogy was "stepping over a 10 to pick up a 5", today.

2 based on today, I know that the only RD, of any consequence, not playing for Ottawa is JBD. Based on this, I know that unless Ottawa is satisfied with Ceci, DeMelo, and Jaros I will need to be making an emergency call in a few years for RD, and it will cost me more since I didn't plan in advance. If I take the BP today I have to hope that when I put my money in the telephone it will work, and that someone will pick up on the other end and give me what I want/need..... a RD. If no one picks up to give me a RD, of the caliber I need for fair value of my BP I have to pay more to get what I need or I have to wait until someone picks up. I don't want to be stranded trying to find change at 2 am.

3 what if no one has quarters when I need to make my call? No one wants to give me their quarters because they don't have many and they want to protect themselves in case of an emergency?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad