NHL Entry Draft 2019 Entry Draft Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
Wolanin switched to D in 2012 when playing with the Gamblers so 7 years in the position. He actually started the year before when the little ceasers u18 were short on d and the tried him out there.

Im not saying there isn't some growth left for him, but the point was this and Brannstrom's potential aren't even comparable.
In his own interview he said it was at ND.

Well i disagree Wolanin showed elite level skill on the back end and you could literally see him improving from one game to the next. Not all players develop at the same rate. I think they should try him on RD personally. His puck skills are phenomenal and he is still learning the position.

Why cant both him and Brannstrom both be elite?

Reactions: aragorn

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
Tampa Bay shows just how important it is to have as many quality defensemen as possible. Losing Hedman was enough for them to crash against Columbus.

But, the good news for us, is that quality defensemen can (and are) drafted in the second half of the first round and beyond. Focus on a defenseman with good IQ, vision, and decent mobility, and hope we strike gold. No need to package up assets to move up.

Reactions: TkachukNorris79

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010

Well i disagree Wolanin showed elite level skill on the back end and you could literally see him improving from one game to the next. Not all players develop at the same rate. I think they should try him on RD personally. His puck skills are phenomenal and he is still learning the position.

There a number of articles (ref1, ref2) that he talks about it being with the Gamblers out there and that he initially swithched when played for the team his father was coaching because they were short on D, but it doesn't really matter much.

Agree to disagree on his potential, i see him toping out as someone similar to Gardiner, which is great but not as high potential as Brannstrom. Just my opinion though.

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013

Well my question is why WOULD they both be elite. So we would have 3 elite d men? Seems far fetched

Sen sational

Mar 27, 2019
Tampa Bay shows just how important it is to have as many quality defensemen as possible. Losing Hedman was enough for them to crash against Columbus.

But, the good news for us, is that quality defensemen can (and are) drafted in the second half of the first round and beyond. Focus on a defenseman with good IQ, vision, and decent mobility, and hope we strike gold. No need to package up assets to move up.
Moritz Seider "the destroyer" RD would add toughness and size with good tool box overall. Really hope we can pick him up, would move up to get him.

Sweatred

Erase me
Jan 28, 2019
Our D is close to the worst in the league. Chabot shows signs of elite offensive abilities. The rest is a work in progress or d 7-8 type dman.

stempniaksen

Oct 12, 2008
Starting to sell myself on most of the defenceman in the 1st round after being all about drafting a forward.

Will obviously depend on who falls into the Sens lap (and if the CLB pick stays at 19) but I'd probably be happy with anyone outside of Broberg, Harley or Robertson. Thompson, Heinola and York all seem like decent options in the 15-25 range.

Reactions: TkachukNorris79

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
Starting to sell myself on most of the defenceman in the 1st round after being all about drafting a forward.

Will obviously depend on who falls into the Sens lap (and if the CLB pick stays at 19) but I'd probably be happy with anyone outside of Broberg, Harley or Robertson. Thompson, Heinola and York all seem like decent options in the 15-25 range.

What's your knocks on Broberg and Harley?

York is another smallish offensive LHD. Likely gone by 18/19
Heinola also undersized - better offensively then defensively .. rising but I don't see how he separates himself from the pack much. Could be gone. I like the fit of other guys more.
Thomson RHD ; Mobile ; a little better size than the above but for the Sens a mobile RHD makes sense. I can get behind him but I would not take him at 18/19 I think we can get him at 32 (so far)
At 18/19 if we are taking a D I'd consider
Harley LHD has better size ; Looks like a good 2 way D that could compliment what we have more
Broberg LHD good size; 2 way D , raw; Can really skate. I like him quite a bit. Similar to Harley but more dynamic upside imo. I doubt he's still on the board
Seider RHD very good size; 2 way D .. only seen clips and read scouting reports so no first hand knowledge on him. Reports are good.

Sens in Process

Oct 1, 2012

Heinola also undersized - better offensively then defensively .. rising but I don't see how he separates himself from the pack much. Could be gone. I like the fit of other guys more.
Thomson RHD ; Mobile ; a little better size than the above but for the Sens a mobile RHD makes sense. I can get behind him but I would not take him at 18/19 I think we can get him at 32 (so far)
Harley LHD has better size ; Looks like a good 2 way D that could compliment what we have more
Broberg LHD good size; 2 way D , raw; Can really skate. I like him quite a bit. Similar to Harley but more dynamic upside imo. I doubt he's still on the board
Seider RHD very good size; 2 way D .. only seen clips and read scouting reports so no first hand knowledge on him. Reports are good.

Just looking at this draft, I think we will probably get best value taking a D-man at 19, even if means selecting a LHD.

I like guys like Brink, and Tomasino. But at the end of the day, I would take Broberg over them in a heartbeat .

stempniaksen

Oct 12, 2008

They both seem like "all tools, no toolbox" type of guys to me. I just think guys with that size and speed should be doing more than they have been this season. I'm not an expert on either one, by any means, but from the small sample sizes that I have seen they both have trouble with decision making. If it's an issue at the junior level, I tend to think it'll be an issue at the next level as well. Harley, specifically, gets Chabot comparison's on most prospect breakdown articles and I just don't see that at all.

I certainly get the allure of adding giant guys with speed to burn on the backend, I just don't think either one of them utilizes those tools enough to warrant being taken over York, Thompson or Heinola.

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004

I'm all for getting another RD this draft in the first 3 rds but when we look at the RD we have Ceci has almost everything we need with one exception, he just doesn't make good decisions with the puck or under pressure. I realize that GB & other coaches have tried to turn him into a shutdown D but he is neither a shutdown D or a great offensive D but something inbetween & at his salary probably isn't worth keeping.

Jaros is still raw IMO & has room to grow but will his decision making get better too, there are a lot of nights where he reminds me of Ceci too. And we don't know what we have in JBD yet but most likely a 2nd pairing RD. And DeMello well seems to lack a lot of things, more like a filler until a better one comes along. Sieder IMO would be a good fit with Chabot given that Chabot is going to free wheel & they will need someone who will be back on D who is big enough & good enough to stop the inevitable odd man rushes, but does he have a good hockey IQ & can he make good decisions at the right time? My guess is that they probably have a number of guys targeted & will move up if need be or stay where they are if they can get the guy they want the most in their position. Tough call all around who that should be but I think RD is where they could certainly use more depth along with RW IMO.

Reactions: Sen sational

danielpalfredsson

youtube dot com /watch?v=CdqMZ_s7Y6k
Aug 14, 2013
COL should beat San Jose, but Vegas also should have beaten them.

Karlsson is clearly playing at like 20 percent. He looked like he was going to have a stroke during that OT.

I don't think they will make the final, but anything can really happen. Playoffs is a lot of luck and timing.

If we somehow end up with both extra picks from the Duchene and Karl trade, along with the high probability that we don't climb out of that bottom 5-10 ball park next year, we could possibly be in a situation where we have a top 5 pick and then three top 35 picks two drafts in a row. Not to mention another three top 62 picks via DAL and CBJs 2nds.

I'm not sure there's been a team with that much draft stock in a long time. At least it is one bright point to Melnyk voting all these players off the island. We will get a few fun drafts.

Reactions: aragorn

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
They both seem like "all tools, no toolbox" type of guys to me. I just think guys with that size and speed should be doing more than they have been this season. I'm not an expert on either one, by any means, but from the small sample sizes that I have seen they both have trouble with decision making. If it's an issue at the junior level, I tend to think it'll be an issue at the next level as well. Harley, specifically, gets Chabot comparison's on most prospect breakdown articles and I just don't see that at all.

I certainly get the allure of adding giant guys with speed to burn on the backend, I just don't think either one of them utilizes those tools enough to warrant being taken over York, Thompson or Heinola.

I disagree with the tools vs toolbox when it comes to Broberg. He is young in this draft class He won't turn 18 till late June. He was fantastic at the Hlinka last summer. Pretty much a coming out party for him. He made the U20 WJC team. Some think he's Sweden'd best D at the U18s where he is ppg. I would say his IQ is a plus vs the other way around. His skating is a huge plus. My opinion.. so we can disagree. Also disagree that Broberg doesn't use his speed enough.

I agree I do not see Harley Chabot comparisons ... but I do think he is a good prospect . I don't think he has Chabot's IQ or speed.

stempniaksen

Oct 12, 2008
I disagree with the tools vs toolbox when it comes to Broberg. He is young in this draft class He won't turn 18 till late June. He was fantastic at the Hlinka last summer. Pretty much a coming out party for him. He made the U20 WJC team. Some think he's Sweden'd best D at the U18s where he is ppg. I would say his IQ is a plus vs the other way around. His skating is a huge plus. My opinion.. so we can disagree. Also disagree that Broberg doesn't use his speed enough.

I agree I do not see Harley Chabot comparisons ... but I do think he is a good prospect . I don't think he has Chabot's IQ or speed.

I'm well aware I'm on an island with the Broberg take (probably Harley as well, even though the Chabot comps are obviously off-base). All else being equal I typically like guys with size and speed so these two should be some of my favourite prospects in the draft. I've probably only seen each of these guys like ~5 times, so it's not a definitive opinion by any means.

Based on a lot of mocks it seems like we may not have a shot at either one without trading up. All I know is I'd MUCH rather trade down a few spots for a guy like Thompson (while adding an asset) than moving up to take one of those two.

I've also loved York all season and it looks like he might be slipping for some odd reason. He's probably not a true future #1D, but the guy is likely in the Fowler/Leddy mold and could make for a great future top-four option (even on our crowded LD).

Reactions: Sens of Anarchy

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
I'm well aware I'm on an island with the Broberg take (probably Harley as well, even though the Chabot comps are obviously off-base). All else being equal I typically like guys with size and speed so these two should be some of my favourite prospects in the draft. I've probably only seen each of these guys like ~5 times, so it's not a definitive opinion by any means.

Based on a lot of mocks it seems like we may not have a shot at either one without trading up. All I know is I'd MUCH rather trade down a few spots for a guy like Thompson (while adding an asset) than moving up to take one of those two.

I've also loved York all season and it looks like he might be slipping for some odd reason. He's probably not a true future #1D, but the guy is likely in the Fowler/Leddy mold and could make for a great future top-four option (even on our crowded LD).
I'm with you on Broberg

Six Assets

Tim Stützle
Jun 29, 2013
Ottawa
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad