NHL Entry Draft 2019 Entry Draft Discussion (part 2)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
I'm deadly serious when I say that there are several posters here who would have done a far superior job of drafting than Pierre Dorion has.
This day has been hugely disappointing.
There are many people outside of hockey that would do a better job of GMing than most GMs period.

Emerica

May 29, 2010
What a draft from Dorion and the boys, Eh ?

cover1.jpg

Samboni

Jan 26, 2014
Can’t say that I know one pick from another, but I was expecting that they would have picked a couple of the higher rated prospects. Going off the board is unsettling and raises flags, but we have to trust that the scouts know what they are doing. I won’t criticize the selections as there could be some gems buried in the mud. What’s done is done, let’s see how they perform at development camp.

ijif

Dec 20, 2018
In a perfect world, I would not make the trade to move up in the second, but I would have made a trade to move up in the third (using picks 125, 187, etc.), resulting in getting Kaliyev, Brink, Afanaseyev, Dorofeyev, and Spence.

I would have been very happy if we left with those players, and it was a very reasonable thing to have been accomplished.

Last edited:

Blotto71

I was wrong...the worst is NOT behind us.
May 12, 2013
Over There
I checked out this afternoon - beautiful day and it's the 5th anniversary of my buddy's brewery opening...

Checking back in and seeing the results I have to say, I'm totes feelin' the FYOUS.

FormentonTheFuture

Sep 29, 2017
Dorion receives a solid "F" for this draft. It is unacceptable for a rebuild. I am not sure who is behind this and what are the intangibles. But it looks awful and NHL office will take a notice.
You can hate this draft all you want but what are you even talking about with that last part? The NHL doesn’t care who teams draft. Edmonton would have been taken over by Bettman if that was the case.

SENATOR

Feb 6, 2004
Ottawa
I mean Leafs with their limited high picks would get a sold "B+" from me. Finding an offensive dynamo, trash talking and a big instigator, second coming of Brendan Gallagher - Nicholas Robertson.

Gil Gunderson

May 2, 2007
Ottawa, ON
Not a fan of Dorion’s recent draft trends. He seems to be forgetting that skill matters in this league.

The 2nd round is when you’re supposed to take risks with these boom-or-bust prospects, but instead Dorion brags about how many draft picks he has and picks low-ceiling players.

If he really is going to stop looking for the boom-or-bust type in the later rounds then he’s just stripped this organization of its only competency.

Last edited:

coladin

Sep 18, 2009
What is the motive, exactly, of this draft?

I thought Brink would be a foregone conclusion.

I can only think that they didn't think anyone was better than what was in the stable...I don't get it.

Another goalie. Why. It almost seems like they avoided players that may challenge what is already in the organization. Where would they find places for these guys perhaps. I don't get It. Very disappointed.

Blotto71

May 12, 2013
Over There
Dorion receives a solid "F" for this draft. It is unacceptable for a rebuild. I am not sure who is behind this and what are the intangibles. But it looks awful and NHL office will take a notice.

But ... BUT! ... Dorion now has the "F" in FYOUS!! All part of the plan

benjiv1

Mar 8, 2010
Ottawa
What is the motive, exactly, of this draft?

I thought Brink would be a foregone conclusion.

I can only think that they didn't think anyone was better than what was in the stable...I don't get it.

Another goalie. Why. It almost seems like they avoided players that may challenge what is already in the organization. Where would they find places for these guys perhaps. I don't get It. Very disappointed.

Most goalies don’t pan out, and we really don’t know exactly what we have in Hogberg, Gustafsson and Daccord.

At the end of this season, we likely don’t have Anderson or Condon, leaving our goalie depth as such:

Nilsson
Hogberg
Gustafsson
Daccord

And Sogaard at least 3 seasons out from playing a game in the NHL.

We probably didn’t need to move up to draft him, but I’m fine with the pick.

SENATOR

Feb 6, 2004
Ottawa
You can hate this draft all you want but what are you even talking about with that last part? The NHL doesn’t care who teams draft. Edmonton would have been taken over by Bettman if that was the case.

Not, when NHL is the work place organization, and one integral team's ethics and the moral principles are involved. Driven by the owner and executed by a general manager, to diminish the product on the ice, using the Italian strike as the Melnyk's modus operandi at the draft table.
In order to turn away spectators and make team financially unfitted for the market and force NHL to green light it for a move. It was done in the old days at the turn of the century and after. Many, many times. Comes to mind in recent years, what happened in Cleveland, when they lost Browns. Good example also with Vancouver Grizzlies NBA. When agents were telling their first round picks not to go there, Vancouver had no stars on the team and got a huge drop in attendance, averaging just 13,899, ranking the team 27th in the league. And the team after, sure was quickly green lighted by NBA to move.

Lonnie Loach

Feb 2, 2004
New York, NY
What this draft highlights to me is how much Ottawa's hockey operations department is overmatched. They're playing checkers, everyone else is playing chess. And, a qualified POHO who is an experienced, strategic thinker is desperately needed to give them a fighting chance, else this fake rebuild will have this team in the ditch for another decade. Either that or the fans hope and pray that Trent Mann is a player evaluation genius (I don't discount that by the way, but that's the faint hope at the moment).

Blotto71

May 12, 2013
Over There
I'm not sure that I'm totally following you @SENATOR, but, I think that the NHL would force a sale to keep the team in Ottawa before it allowed Melnumnuts to move it. Just my opinion.

h2

Mar 26, 2002
Not, when NHL is the work place organization, and one integral team's ethics and the moral principles are involved. Driven by the owner and executed by a general manager, to diminish the product on the ice, using the Italian strike as the Melnyk's modus operandi at the draft table.
In order to turn away spectators and make team financially unfitted for the market and force NHL to green light it for a move. It was done in the old days at the turn of the century and after. Many, many times. Comes to mind in recent years, what happened in Cleveland, when they lost Browns. Good example also with Vancouver Grizzlies NBA. When agents were telling their first round picks not to go there, Vancouver had no stars on the team and got a huge drop in attendance, averaging just 13,899, ranking the team 27th in the league. And the team after, sure was quickly green lighted by NBA to move.

If the NHL was going to step in, it would have happened by now. Also, you need to relax, it's too early to hate on the picks. Hating on the reaching is fine, but we need to see in a few years if our scouts are on crack or if they know what they're doing. There's hyped prospects that fall every year that never pan out.

Sun God Nika

Palestine <3.
Apr 22, 2013
Is it bothering anyone else seeing the banner on the top reminding us Colorado got their pick from Ottawa?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad