NHL Entry Draft 2019 Entry Draft Discussion (part 2)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Joeyjoejoe

Dec 18, 2015
I am honestly surprised how low Ryan Suzuki is rated on some lists. To me everytime I watch him I see a legitimate top 6 talent in the NHL. Reminds me a lot of Barzal just without the same edge work. If Newhook doesn't fall to us, would love Suzuki.

Reactions: ChurchOfAlfie

Alf Silfversson

Jun 8, 2011
I don't think there is anyway that Byram falls to 7. If he makes it past 4, expect teams to start trying to trade up for him.

ChurchOfAlfie

Dec 4, 2016
I am honestly surprised how low Ryan Suzuki is rated on some lists. To me everytime I watch him I see a legitimate top 6 talent in the NHL. Reminds me a lot of Barzal just without the same edge work. If Newhook doesn't fall to us, would love Suzuki.

He's one of the younger guys in the draft as well, still 17 until late May.

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
Just realized a wedding I'm in is on the 22nd. Was looking forward to day 2 of the draft much more than the 1st day, but will have to miss it.

Kind of rotted, the draft weekend is my favourite weekend in the entire NHL schedule.

RAFI BOMB

May 11, 2016
https://thehockeywriters.com/2019-nhl-draft-rankings-may/

Interesting to see so many notable names ranked so low. There certainly would be some good options in the second round if this turned out to be the case. Albin Grewe, Ryan Suzuki, Jakob Pelletier, Jamieson Rees, Samuel Poulin, Egor Afansyev, Brayden Tracey and Brett Leason all available in the second round here.

Daffy

Jun 10, 2010
Just realized a wedding I'm in is on the 22nd. Was looking forward to day 2 of the draft much more than the 1st day, but will have to miss it.

Kind of rotted, the draft weekend is my favourite weekend in the entire NHL schedule.

Just tape it

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013

Interesting to see so many notable names ranked so low. There certainly would be some good options in the second round if this turned out to be the case. Albin Grewe, Ryan Suzuki, Jakob Pelletier, Jamieson Rees, Samuel Poulin, Egor Afansyev, Brayden Tracey and Brett Leason all available in the second round here.

Plenty to disagree with on that list. I didn't like his rankings much last year either. Good work if you can get it though.

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast

I've got no problem with any of those guys rankings, though I'd have Afansyev higher for sure.

Reactions: RAFI BOMB

RAFI BOMB

May 11, 2016
I've got no problem with any of those guys rankings, though I'd have Afansyev higher for sure.

You find the rankings reasonable? I would be pretty happy if we ended up getting one of Grewe, pelletier, rees with the first 2nd round pick and then one of afanasyev or poulin with the other. Based on those rankings I would try to acquire a third second rounder to take one of leason, Foote or Tracey.

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
I find Afanasyev , Leason, Tracey and Legare low; imo ..I would have those guys up from where he has them.
Seeing any of Pelletier, Suzuki, Rees, McMicheal, Vlasic in the 32-40 is not a shocker by any means .. all of them there and Poulin at 42 is definitely different, particularly when he has Grewe and Mastrosimone and Honka and Puistola ahead of that entire group.

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
You find the rankings reasonable? I would be pretty happy if we ended up getting one of Grewe, pelletier, rees with the first 2nd round pick and then one of afanasyev or poulin with the other. Based on those rankings I would try to acquire a third second rounder to take one of leason, Foote or Tracey.
I'm not a big fan of Pelltier or Suzuki, I wouldn't want them in the 1st.

I'm not agreeing with it all, I'd have Afanasyev and Poulin in the 1st, and wouldn;t be upset with Leason near the end of the 1st, but I agree with those other guys in the 2nd.

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
I find Afanasyev , Leason, Tracey and Legare low; imo ..I would have those guys up from where he has them.
Seeing any of Pelletier, Suzuki, Rees, McMicheal, Vlasic in the 32-40 is not a shocker by any means .. all of them there and Poulin at 42 is definitely different, particularly when he has Grewe and Mastrosimone and Honka and Puistola ahead of that entire group.
Afanasyev for sure, I've been high on him for a long time.

Leason I'd be fine taking 26-32.

Not a fan of Legare at all, don't want him picked by the Sens.

Not a huge fan of Tracey though with admittedly limited views

Que

What?
Feb 12, 2017
Mind Prison
I don't think there is anyway that Byram falls to 7. If he makes it past 4, expect teams to start trying to trade up for him.

It’s not the talent that could keep him from going that high but I’ve heard rumours that his father is involved heavily in his hockey decisions.

When he was drafted in the CHL I heated that he is father was calling teams and telling them emphatically that Bryan would not play for that organization if they drafted him.

Now these are not hockey people who told me this, but I trust their opinions on the matter.

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
It’s not the talent that could keep him from going that high but I’ve heard rumours that his father is involved heavily in his hockey decisions.

When he was drafted in the CHL I heated that he is father was calling teams and telling them emphatically that Bryan would not play for that organization if they drafted him.

Now these are not hockey people who told me this, but I trust their opinions on the matter.
Seems strange given his dad's hockey history and the fact Byram was assuredly going to Vancouver which they knew prior to the draft, not sure what teams he'd have to contact. It was known Krebs and Dach were the top 2 ranked consensus picks and Byram was going right after. Vancouver even traded back from #2 the day prior to the draft, as they had him ranked 1st and were able to get a high 2nd in return.

Last edited:
Reactions: Alf Silfversson

Que

What?
Feb 12, 2017
Mind Prison
Seems strange given his dad's hockey history and the fact Byram was assuredly going to Vancouver which they knew prior to the draft, not sure what teams he'd have to contact. It was known Krebs and Dach were the top 2 ranked consensus picks and Byram was going right after. Vancouver even traded back from #2 the day prior to the draft, as they had him ranked 1st and were able to get a high 2nd in return.

I know it does sound weird. I think it only pertained to my towns team which was the CHL equivalent of the Ottawa Senators. Maybe like two others.

But if that is a possibility - then small market and budget teams may want to do extra homework.

From what limited tape I’ve seen and the review I’ve read he’s definitely the 3rd best talent in this years draft.

Deku

I'm off the planet
Nov 5, 2011
Ottawa
If columbus makes round 3 I wonder if we might use one of our seconds to move up a bit from the 28-31 range

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->