2019 E3 Discussion - Live shows begin June 8th, schedule in OP

SniperHF

Rejecting Reports
Mar 9, 2007
Phoenix
They're not competing very much for air time and they bought all those studios last year so presumably some of them have something to show by now

I think what happened there is the studios were pretty deep into multiple projects at the time. Especially Obsidian with The Outer Worlds which I'd expect would be their last non-MS published game.

The Mars Volchenkov

Mar 31, 2002
Colorado
I think MS announces another studio but I still think its early to hear from most of them. Pretty sure Ninja Theory’s new game will be announced though.

I’m sure they’ll lay a lot of the groundwork for next gen. We’re just in that weird part of the console generation.

SeidoN

#OGOC #2018 HFW Predictions Champ
Aug 8, 2012
AEF
I think MS announces another studio but I still think its early to hear from most of them. Pretty sure Ninja Theory’s new game will be announced though.

I’m sure they’ll lay a lot of the groundwork for next gen. We’re just in that weird part of the console generation.

they'll probably announce they've hoovered up several studios. they seem to do it every year

I hope we hear what games are being added to the Game Pass for PC. right now it kinda sucks seeing alot of cool games get added to the XBOX one but only a few are available on PC

Blitzkrug

Sep 17, 2013
Winnipeg

THQNordic getting ahead of the party a bit. I'm so ****ing stoked.

Spongebob was always one of the few TV/Movie IPs that always got a lot of love in terms of games. Most of them were good to great.

Blitzkrug

Sep 17, 2013
Winnipeg
Meh, hard to support THQ nordic after the **** they pulled a couple of months ago. They can **** off

THQNordic is only the license holder, the guys making the game are the remnants of the studio that made the original.

Edit: Though to be fair that whole THQNordic thing was a real masterclass in stupidity

RandV

It's a wolf v2.0
Jul 29, 2003
Vancouver
Visit site
I want another teaser on TES:VI

Don't think it will be interesting here but that's going to be an interesting one to watch. When Skyrim came out 8 years ago Bethesda was at the top of the game and really the only viable option for open world RPG's. Since then the competition has come out with better games in the genre, Fallout 4 on one hand was kind of the same old thing while The Witcher 3 released the same year blew Bethesda out of the water.

TES:VI will undoubtedly be good but will it be another typical Bethesda iteration of slight improvements over the prior games, or can they step up their game? If not it could look pretty lacklustre with Cyberpunk's release on the horizon. Adding to the worry is the common business practice Bethesda is moving towards. The CEO recently seemed disappointed that people are still playing Skyrim 8 years later and the company has no way to 'connect' with them. They attempted to introduce paid mods into the experience before, and now you have Fallout 76 as a "live service" game model and a complete mess. You have to be suspicious that they're going to have some sort of long tail monetization plan, which will completely miss the point and come at the expense of the single player experience that keeps people playing Skyrim 8 years later.

SeidoN

#OGOC #2018 HFW Predictions Champ
Aug 8, 2012
AEF
ES6 is a while away but I just got into ESO with a friend and its basically coop Skyrim with a tonnnnn of content so im happy

KeithIsActuallyBad

You thrust your pelvis, huh!
Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
For those attending, Nintendo will have Pokémon, Luigi's Mansion 3, and Marvel Ultimate Alliance 3 all playable.

No AC mentioned though. Hmm.....

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas
Don't think it will be interesting here but that's going to be an interesting one to watch. When Skyrim came out 8 years ago Bethesda was at the top of the game and really the only viable option for open world RPG's. Since then the competition has come out with better games in the genre, Fallout 4 on one hand was kind of the same old thing while The Witcher 3 released the same year blew Bethesda out of the water.

TES:VI will undoubtedly be good but will it be another typical Bethesda iteration of slight improvements over the prior games, or can they step up their game? If not it could look pretty lacklustre with Cyberpunk's release on the horizon. Adding to the worry is the common business practice Bethesda is moving towards. The CEO recently seemed disappointed that people are still playing Skyrim 8 years later and the company has no way to 'connect' with them. They attempted to introduce paid mods into the experience before, and now you have Fallout 76 as a "live service" game model and a complete mess. You have to be suspicious that they're going to have some sort of long tail monetization plan, which will completely miss the point and come at the expense of the single player experience that keeps people playing Skyrim 8 years later.
Then uh. Maybe they should think about making Elder Scrolls 6 good? Follow the Witcher 3 model. Pump in all your assets to a glowing single player offline experience and then create expansions to sell if they want further profitability.

Frankie Spankie

Feb 22, 2009
Dorchester, MA
I mean, the Doom from a few years ago is pretty highly regarded, as well as both Wolfenstein games. That's still their name attached to it so not sure if you consider that to be them.
Bethesda didn't make those though. I actually like a good deal of Bethesda published games (Doom, Wolfenstein, Dishonored) but the games they actually make are just a buggy mess.

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
I mean, the Doom from a few years ago is pretty highly regarded, as well as both Wolfenstein games. That's still their name attached to it so not sure if you consider that to be them.

They only published them so I don't consider them Bethesda games no. Tbey helped so they do get credit but in terms of game design and gameplay, Bethesda games are as bottom of the barrel as you get.

RandV

It's a wolf v2.0
Jul 29, 2003
Vancouver
Visit site
Then uh. Maybe they should think about making Elder Scrolls 6 good? Follow the Witcher 3 model. Pump in all your assets to a glowing single player offline experience and then create expansions to sell if they want further profitability.

I mean you'd think they would be happy and content to be selling their single player game 8 years later and wouldn't mess with the formula, but their CEO did an interview with IGN recently... I'm not sure how to embed a youtube video by seconds (I actually saw the relavent clip from Jim Sterling, though the full hour+ interview is up on IGN's channel too), but here's some rough paraphrasing for what he was saying:

We're definitely going to be long term believers in what's going to be happening with that game (Fallout 76) and moreso engaging with the people who play our game everyday.

If you look at a Skyrim,Fallout 4, the amount of people that plays those games is still...
Millions and millions of people every month playing those games every month and we have no touch point with them. We ship the game, we do some mods stuff, but here you go.

76 was also we need to learn how to be engaging and be able to update and see what players are doing and be more engaged in that experience.

It's still really early and we can only speculate at this point, but really seems like they are going to increase the push on the 'paid mods' type idea. When the business side says they want to be "more engaged" with the customer that generally means 'keep selling you stuff'. And that doesn't mean expansion packs which has always been a part of the experience.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad