Prospect Info: 2019 Draft

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
Kaliev is one of the most divisive prospects in a long lomg time. Like Josh Ho-Sang level divisive. There's some serious concern about how seriously he takes the game and his overall intensity level. Not saying i wouldn't take him because the skill level is undeniable.

Doesn't matter if we would take him. If that's true about him, I can't see any way the Canes would take him while still coached by Brindy.

DaveG

Noted Jerk
Apr 7, 2003
Winston-Salem NC
i mean his parents are rich company owners and his sister is a pro tennis player if i remember correctly but i feel zadina was also but because he had such a amazing WJC with Necas nobody payed attention to it. Also i haven't seen anything about his attitude to make me think that
I don't think he's a hot head or total attitude case in the sense that a DeAngelo type player might have been, but things like his intensity level on the forecheck are a red flag about being able to work in our system. His skating isn't that great but that doesn't necessarily prevent a player from being NHL level.

Boom Boom Apathy

Sep 6, 2006
There's no sure thing about a guy being "gone" once you get outside top 5-8 picks. Teams many times love a certain guy and take him even if he was ranked a few spots lower. Cole being so small could scare off a lot of teams so it wouldn't shock me at all to see him still on the board. Wouldn't shock me to see him gone either. McKenzie, which is a poll of actual scouts, doesn't have Cole in the top 16 for instance in his rankings from a couple days ago.

For reference, here's where he ranks in various rankings that have been updated in the last 2 months:

ISS (mar 6): 17
McKenzie (Apr 4): Outside the top 16 and listed as an Honorable mention.
Button (Mar 26): 10
Larry Fisher THW (Mar 6): 12
Future Considerations (Mar 5): 16
Hockey Prospect (Feb 28): 27
Scott Wheeler-Athletic (Feb 18): 11
Sam Cosetino-Sportsnet (Feb 13): 19
Dobber Prospects (Feb 6): 14
NA Scouting Central (Feb 4): 16

FaulkYouAho

ferla memes
Sep 14, 2015
North Carolina
I don't think he's a hot head or total attitude case in the sense that a DeAngelo type player might have been, but things like his intensity level on the forecheck are a red flag about being able to work in our system. His skating isn't that great but that doesn't necessarily prevent a player from being NHL level.

His IQ is extremely high and he also has one of the best shots in the class if not the best. but the way you are describing him is a "Holyier than thou" attitude.

FaulkYouAho

ferla memes
Sep 14, 2015
North Carolina
There's no sure thing about a guy being "gone" once you get outside top 5-8 picks. Teams many times love a certain guy and take him even if he was ranked a few spots lower. Cole being so small could scare off a lot of teams so it wouldn't shock me at all to see him still on the board. Wouldn't shock me to see him gone either. McKenzie, which is a poll of actual scouts, doesn't have Cole in the top 16 for instance in his rankings from a couple days ago.

For reference, here's where he ranks in various rankings that have been updated in the last 2 months:

ISS (mar 6): 17
McKenzie (Apr 4): Outside the top 16 and listed as an Honorable mention.
Button (Mar 26): 10
Larry Fisher THW (Mar 6): 12
Future Considerations (Mar 5): 16
Hockey Prospect (Feb 28): 27
Scott Wheeler-Athletic (Feb 18): 11
Sam Cosetino-Sportsnet (Feb 13): 19
Dobber Prospects (Feb 6): 14
NA Scouting Central (Feb 4): 16
if you notice most of these are outdated and most of the ones in martch are listed higher, outliers being ISS and Mckinzie

Boom Boom Apathy

Sep 6, 2006
His IQ is extremely high and he also has one of the best shots in the class if not the best. but the way you are describing him is a "Holyier than thou" attitude.

:laugh: Holier than though. C'mon I was simply pointing out that there's no guarantee the guy would be gone in the top 8-15. There's a very good chance he is gone by #15, but it's not a given if teams have concerns about him.

EDIT: Some examples is how everyone thought Fowler would be gone in the top 5 of 2010 and went 12th, or how DeBrincat was ranked anywhere from 15-25 (except by McKenzie) and went 39. There are plenty of examples is all I'm saying. I'm not saying he will slip, but I don't think he's a lock to go top 15 either.

Last edited:

FaulkYouAho

ferla memes
Sep 14, 2015
North Carolina
:laugh: Holier than though. C'mon I was simply pointing out that there's no guarantee the guy would be gone in the top 8-15. There's a very good chance he is gone by #15, but it's not a given if teams have concerns about him.

EDIT: Some examples is how everyone thought Fowler would be gone in the top 5 of 2010 and went 12th, or how DeBrincat was ranked anywhere from 15-25 (except by McKenzie) and went 39. There are plenty of examples is all I'm saying. I'm not saying he will slip, but I don't think he's a lock to go top 15 either.
I think you read the wrong reply. I said that to Dave not you. i did say most of them were outdated tho

Boom Boom Apathy

Sep 6, 2006
I just realized that the Rangers could have 4 first round picks this year.

NYR Pick
WPG Pick - Hayes trade
TBL Pick - McD/Miller trade. Is a 2nd round pick that becomes a 1st round pick if TBL wins the cup.
Dal Pick - Zuccarello trade. Is a 2nd round pick that becomes a 1st round pick if Dallas makes it to the WCF and Zucc plays at least 50% of the playoff games.

I guess the good news is that if by chance, those conditions are met, they will at least be very late 1st round picks.

My Special Purpose

Apr 8, 2008
Instead of thousands of times, hoping for a specific result, and since the lottery is so early this year, I'm using a lottery simulator *once* and only once. Here it is:

I got Anaheim jumping up from 8 to 2, but otherwise, nothing exciting. COL, ANA, NJD, LAK, DET, BUF, NYR, EDM, VAN, PHI.

We can only hope.

FaulkYouAho

ferla memes
Sep 14, 2015
North Carolina
Instead of thousands of times, hoping for a specific result, and since the lottery is so early this year, I'm using a lottery simulator *once* and only once. Here it is:

I got Anaheim jumping up from 8 to 2, but otherwise, nothing exciting. COL, ANA, NJD, LAK, DET, BUF, NYR, EDM, VAN, PHI.

We can only hope.
this will probably be the best thing to happen if it does unless LA or Van or EDM gets it instead of NJ. imagine Hischer and Hall with Podkolzin or Cozens. or imagine Severson Vatanen Butcher Byram... i don't want to see that and i don't think anyone else here does to...

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad