Player Discussion 2019 Draft

Status
Not open for further replies.

Calculon

unholy acting talent
Jan 20, 2006
Error 503
I would be royally vexed if they waste a first rounder on a goalie. The Flames' amateur goalie scouting gives me no confidence.

And interesting that they say the trade market is quiet when so many other GM's say the opposite. Maybe it just means it's all quiet on the western front.

Reactions: Dack

InfinityIggy

Zagidulin's Dad
Jan 30, 2011
I am definitely on the 'you do not draft goalies in the 1st' train. That said, Knight looks like maybe the best goalie prospect since Vasi.

Might not be the worst dice roll in the world if the scouts look at who else is on the board at that point and don't see a guy they feel is worth taking inside the 1st?

Baxterman

Aug 27, 2017
I can't see how we can take a goalie in the 1st round after drafting McDonald and Parsons in the 2nd round so recently. I know that is likely a terrible way to think and you should just take the best player available but with the way goalies are hard to predict and the fact that they are basically an all or nothing pick, no 3rd line/pairing goalies, it seems like a bad use of assets.

Even a guy as highly regarded as Knight seems like a big risk at 26 for our team, If he fell I wonder what an offer for another team interested in him to move up would look like.

Calculon

unholy acting talent
Jan 20, 2006
Error 503
4. Could Calgary pick a goalie in the first round?
U.S. National Development Team product Spencer Knight is the hot goaltending commodity right now and sounds like he’s on Calgary’s radar. Whether or not he’s available at 26 is another story. If he is, though, you can expect a very interesting discussion at the Flames’ draft table.

“We’ve got a list, we’ve got it in order,” said director of amateur scouting Tod Button. “I think we’ve finished one to 62 and the only thing that would come into play would be the goaltender. If there’s a goaltender at 26 who we think is available that we think is worth picking. We’ve talked it out and we think there is one. So then it’s just a philosophical decision on whether you take a goalie at that spot or not.”
In the end, that philosophical conversation is spearheaded by Treliving. If Knight is still on the board when it’s Calgary’s turn, it’ll be the GM making the final call.

“We have a separate list for goalies, but we have them slotted in where we would take them,” Button said. “Without taking the scouts off the hook, it would be Tree’s decision to take the goalie here or not take the goalie here.”
Five things you need to know from Vancouver

Good to know where to point the fingers if the Flames take Knight.

JPeeper

Hail Satan!
Jan 4, 2015
All the goalie talk from Tre and the scouts all leads to Spencer Knight and no one else. I don't think he will be available, but if he is still there at 26 I am 99% confident the Flames pick him.

I'd rather swing for the fences (if in the slim chance he's available) and draft a potential franchise goalie (in the words of Bob McKenzie) then hope for a 3rd liner/3rd pairing d-man with the 26th pick.

Though if Lavoie is still available I'd take a shot at him as well.

Reactions: Mitts

CamPopplestone

Sep 27, 2017
It's 26. Not like we're talking a top 15 or even 20 pick. There aren't surefire NHLer picks at that point. And if Knight is there at 26 you have to take the shot. Yeah, maybe it blows up and doesn't work. But I don't see how you don't take the dice roll there.

Because imagine if we didn't, and Knight becomes legit.

Reactions: Mitts

FLAMESFAN

Feb 27, 2002
So wait....it's take BPA, unless its a goalie?

If Knight is there take him! Man I'm still upset that Hart didn't fall 7 more spots in 2016 (instead of Parsons), and we took the wrong goalie in 2014 (Demko instead of McD). Both our goalies have had some great stretches and some brutal ones too....hope we can see more of the former this upcoming year.

Calculon

unholy acting talent
Jan 20, 2006
Error 503
Very much so, yes.

As Treliving himself said, the Flames' goalie developmental system is suspect. Even Button made fun of it. So unless Knight is essentially the second coming, I have no faith in the organization to develop him correctly. So yeah, no question, I'd much rather use the pick on anything else.

Mobiandi

Jan 17, 2015
For a prospect pool as barren as ours, there's better things to do than wasting a first on a goalie

Reactions: Nanuuk

tfong

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2008
www.instagram.com
Plz no Beecher at that position.

For a prospect pool as barren as ours, there's better things to do than wasting a first on a goalie

Its exactly at this part of the draft round I want to go for homerun picks. Players that could've been in the top 15 but had flaws. I want something that has some elite part to it at the very least.

Safe is death.

DomBarr

Apr 7, 2014
Plz no Beecher at that position.

Its exactly at this part of the draft round I want to go for homerun picks. Players that could've been in the top 15 but had flaws. I want something that has some elite part to it at the very least.

Safe is death.
Spencer Knight meets everything you asked for. If he is available at 26 i have no issues with taking him..

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad