2019 Draft Thread: We Already Got a Kaapo

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wild4Cup

Jun 13, 2019
If one of Zegras, Newhook or Krebs is still available in our turn it would be stupid not to take them given our situation in the center position. If they are gone by the time Fenton walks to the podium I’d be fine with either Broberg or Söderström. If we are going to draft a winger he should be head and shoulders above the next defenseman on our list imo. If Caufield somehow falls for us and the centers are gone it would be a no-brainer. Podkolzin, I’m not sure. The potential is there but the risk is also higher. Boldy, Kaliyev, Brink intuition says no thank you.

Spurgeon

Nov 25, 2014
MinneSNOWta
I don’t think any 1sts are feasible unless they’re either very late and in addition to a roster player, or part of a much bigger deal. There is almost no chance that a 1st will be the centerpiece of a Zucker deal.

Probably not, but Fletcher did make it known that the pick was available for a player that he wouldn't consider a rental. Zucker would fit that bill, but we'd probably need to throw something on top of it still. Very small chance it's even something Fletcher is interested in anyways, they'd probably want something around Brodin/Spurgeon.

AKL

Danila Yurov Fan Club President
Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
Probably not, but Fletcher did make it known that the pick was available for a player that he wouldn't consider a rental. Zucker would fit that bill, but we'd probably need to throw something on top of it still. Very small chance it's even something Fletcher is interested in anyways, they'd probably want something around Brodin/Spurgeon.

Okay but what Fletcher wants doesn’t matter. Fenton (our current GM) has shown very very little inclination or intention of trading for 11, 14 or 16 oa.

AKL

Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
If one of Zegras, Newhook or Krebs is still available in our turn it would be stupid not to take them given our situation in the center position. If they are gone by the time Fenton walks to the podium I’d be fine with either Broberg or Söderström. If we are going to draft a winger he should be head and shoulders above the next defenseman on our list imo. If Caufield somehow falls for us and the centers are gone it would be a no-brainer. Podkolzin, I’m not sure. The potential is there but the risk is also higher. Boldy, Kaliyev, Brink intuition says no thank you.

Boldy is arguably the best winger in the draft after Kakko and Caufield has at least as many question marks as any of the players you named.

Reactions: DumbaTrain

Spurgeon

Nov 25, 2014
MinneSNOWta
Okay but what Fletcher wants doesn’t matter. Fenton (our current GM) has shown very very little inclination or intention of trading for 11, 14 or 16 oa.

What Fletcher wants does matter. You need 2 teams to make a trade. You don't think Fenton would entertain a trade of Zucker for the 11OA?

AKL

Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
What Fletcher wants does matter. You need 2 teams to make a trade. You don't think Fenton would entertain a trade of Zucker for the 11OA?

No, I don’t, that’s my point. What Fletcher wants in return for the 11oa doesn’t matter because Fenton won’t target the 11oa.

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta
No, we wouldn’t have to add, it’s just not going to happen. We haven’t heard anything about Arizona or Colorado’s picks being in play, we haven’t heard anything about either of them being interested in Zucker (at least not for a while in Arizona’s case), and there’s no reason to think Fenton would be looking for those picks even if those teams were interested in Zucker.

The whole Zucker for 14 or 16 thing is entirely made up speculation based on what some fraction of the Wild fan base wants to happen. There’s no credibility to it at all. And based on what Fenton has said and done thus far, there’s no reason to believe it’s going to happen.

That, combined with those teams' fans on this board being ok with it.

Reactions: AKL

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta
No, I don’t, that’s my point. What Fletcher wants in return for the 11oa doesn’t matter because Fenton won’t target the 11oa.

We don't really know where Fenton's line is. I'm quite sure he'd take the #1 or #2 for Zucker. Would he take #5? #7? There's a line somewhere, it's just really hard to pinpoint.

Spurgeon

Nov 25, 2014
MinneSNOWta
We don't really know where Fenton's line is. I'm quite sure he'd take the #1 or #2 for Zucker. Would he take #5? #7? There's a line somewhere, it's just really hard to pinpoint.

Given that he was about to give up Zucker for Frolik + a late 1st, I would certainly hope he'd take any pick in the Top 15 for him.

AKL

Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
Given that he was about to give up Zucker for Frolik + a late 1st, I would certainly hope he'd take any pick in the Top 15 for him.
That's a good point.

Most picks in the top 15 aren’t going to help us make the playoffs next year.

I’m not even saying I don’t want a trade like that to happen, I’m saying I highly doubt Fenton is looking for that kind of deal.

Spurgeon

Nov 25, 2014
MinneSNOWta
Most picks in the top 15 aren’t going to help us make the playoffs next year.

I’m not even saying I don’t want a trade like that to happen, I’m saying I highly doubt Fenton is looking for that kind of deal.

I just don't understand why anything would have changed from the deadline to now. Unless Leipold is already forcing Fenton to deviate from his plan after 1 season, which should be hugely concerning.

Bazeek

Registered Lurker
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2011
Exiled in Madison
I think the reality is that the sort of pick Zucker is likely to return isn't the sort of pick Fenton would accept. As much as I doubt that he's looking for a pick as the main piece in a return I think he'd have to think long and hard if he was offered #14 or #16. Even if he didn't want two 1sts it'd open up the possibility to trade #12 for what he was really after with Zucker. But as open as some Arizona and Colorado fans are to the idea there isn't a lot of history of a player like Zucker returning a pick like that. I don't think it'd be poor value for them, but it just doesn't happen.

The one x-factor is Colorado also having #4. One of the reasons that higher 1sts don't move very often is that teams rarely have two of them. Colorado's the exception this year, and the fact that they also have lots of cap room and an arguable need for a winger like Zucker does leave the door open at least a crack.

AJ Thelen

Nov 19, 2010
Pontypandy
Boldy is arguably the best winger in the draft after Kakko and Caufield has at least as many question marks as any of the players you named.

If Boldy is there at #12 and all the 'obvious' centers are gone i wouldn't hesitate 1 second about drafting him. Even if he's LHS LW.

Reactions: AKL

AKL

Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
I just don't understand why anything would have changed from the deadline to now. Unless Leipold is already forcing Fenton to deviate from his plan after 1 season, which should be hugely concerning.

What plan? What do you think Fenton is doing? Nothing has changed. The deal at the deadline was Frolik+pick for Zucker. We have no idea if the pick was a first or not, Frolik was the target. And Fenton is still targeting NHL right wings/centers. Nothing has changed.

2Pair

Oct 8, 2017
What plan? What do you think Fenton is doing? Nothing has changed. The deal at the deadline was Frolik+pick for Zucker. We have no idea if the pick was a first or not, Frolik was the target. And Fenton is still targeting NHL right wings/centers. Nothing has changed.
Pretty hard to justify Frolik as being the target when the "plus" is a lot more valuable than Frolik

2Pair

Oct 8, 2017
Which assumes that the plus was actually a 1st.

That whole trade is hard to justify regardless of how one slices it.
Even a 2nd is more valuable than Frolik. There's no reason to think that "a high draft pick " is anything but a 1st

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
I'd take Boldy in a flash. Not much risk there, for me, just would prefer not to get another LW. I also think that Podkolzin has little risk, as long as you know what he is. The guy is a high end, intense, grinder. Not a finesse player, not a skillsy player, certainly not a floater.

You can always use one of those on a team, but I would rather have a player like Newhook or Krebs that has a chance to be a top 6C with good or better offensive skills. Podkolzin's game seems closer to Greenway's and Ek's...in an ideal situation, like a bigger Parise, but with less scoring ability. Grit is good, but with the trading of Granlund we need players who can distribute the puck, and be a force on the PP.

Bazeek

Registered Lurker
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2011
Exiled in Madison
Even a 2nd is more valuable than Frolik. There's no reason to think that "a high draft pick " is anything but a 1st
Nino was more valuable than Rask and Granlund was more valuable than Fiala, and yet here we are.

I get what you're saying, but it's pretty clear that Fenton either doesn't have such well-defined notions of "value" or doesn't particularly care. If he saw Frolik as a RW that offered a solution to some problem (real or perceived) he was probably more than just a throw-in.

Sarge58

Jan 25, 2014
No, we wouldn’t have to add, it’s just not going to happen. We haven’t heard anything about Arizona or Colorado’s picks being in play, we haven’t heard anything about either of them being interested in Zucker (at least not for a while in Arizona’s case), and there’s no reason to think Fenton would be looking for those picks even if those teams were interested in Zucker.

The whole Zucker for 14 or 16 thing is entirely made up speculation based on what some fraction of the Wild fan base wants to happen. There’s no credibility to it at all. And based on what Fenton has said and done thus far, there’s no reason to believe it’s going to happen.

I see where you're coming from but my viewpoint is not based on anything official or statements from actual owners or GM's, just from what I've read on various teams forums. It seems like their are 4-5 teams that feel he would add some flexability and an extra dimension to their lineups. I'm just having some fun and throwing things out their. I've been a big fan since the early North Stars and have watched and played a lot of hockey I just don't keep up with the salary caps or analytics, mostly by good old fashioned eye test.

Spurgeon

Nov 25, 2014
MinneSNOWta

If nothing has changed, then he would take a top 15 pick. Not really sure what point you're arguing. Wasn't it reported that the pick was a 1st? I would certainly hope that Frolik was not the target in that deal.

AKL

Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
If nothing has changed, then he would take a top 15 pick. Not really sure what point you're arguing. Wasn't it reported that the pick was a 1st? I would certainly hope that Frolik was not the target in that deal.

He wouldn’t take an 11-16 pick because it’s not going to help him make the playoffs next year. I don’t know what you’re confused about.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad