Prospect Info: 2019 Draft Thread: The Countdown - 2 days to go!

Status
Not open for further replies.

McDNicks17

Jul 1, 2010
Ontario
I agree with Hitman. I think the first 7 picks look like this - which is also my "worst case for the Oilers" scenario.

1. Hughes
2. Kakko
3. Turcotte
4. Byram
5. Dach
6. Zegras
7. Cozens

This would leave the Oilers with Podkolzin, Boldy, Caufield, Broberg and Newhook to pick from. Of those, I think I would toss a coin between Boldy and Caufield. Broberg probably my third choice. I have nothing against Podkolzin, I just have absolutely zero faith in this organization to develop him. Newhook I think is too much of a reach at 8.

I think Boldy is a slam dunk pick at that point.

I've warmed up to him quite a bit.

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
I'm not really for or against broberg, but if you end up with a top pairing defenceman at 8 isnt that a win?
Just take the best overall player. Dont draft for need and dont draft for a particular asset. Trends in the league are too fluid. Speed, size are all secondary assets and quite frankly coincidental to success. The best teams with the best compliment of players win. Draft the best overall player.

If you're absolutely, 100% sure that Broberg is going to be a top pairing defenceman in this league then by all means pick him there, but I don't count myself among those people. I think he settles in as a good #3. That's valuable and a solid pick at 8, but that's also a long way out and we need help sooner.

Reactions: McDoused

Dirt McGintty

Jan 29, 2019
If you're absolutely, 100% sure that Broberg is going to be a top pairing defenceman in this league then by all means pick him there, but I don't count myself among those people. I think he settles in as a good #3. That's valuable and a solid pick at 8, but that's also a long way out and we need help sooner.

I'm not advocating for broberg. In fact I worry they are fixated on speed. I just dont want them to draft for need or one particular quality. Pick whomever they rank the best overall player. Regardless of development time, regardless of current strengths in the system.

Apathetic

Oct 29, 2010
Downtown
If the top 7 goes how everyone seems to be predicting, it’s pretty easily Caulfield or Boldy for me. I would personally go Caulfield but I don’t see much in his game that I don’t think will translate, size be damned.
I have no interest in Broberg unless we trade down to the 15-20 mark. Better players are available at 8.

FlameChampion

Jul 13, 2011
Call me crazy, but does anyone else see a bit of Miro Heiskanen in Broberg?

The kid definitely has some tools.

Easy to say in hindsight but Heiskanen just seems to have the combination of great skating with elite hockey iq. Broberg seems to have elite skating and good hockey iq from what I have read. Probably underestimating Heiskanens IQ, everytime I watch him, the kid is a stud. Broberg is much more of a raw player at this point I think, Heiskanen was much more polished imo.

Da McBomb

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 9, 2004
I agree with Hitman. I think the first 7 picks look like this - which is also my "worst case for the Oilers" scenario.

1. Hughes
2. Kakko
3. Turcotte
4. Byram
5. Dach
6. Zegras
7. Cozens

This would leave the Oilers with Podkolzin, Boldy, Caufield, Krebs, Broberg and Newhook to pick from. Of those, I think I would toss a coin between Boldy and Caufield. Broberg probably my third choice. I have nothing against Podkolzin, I just have absolutely zero faith in this organization to develop him. Newhook I think is too much of a reach at 8.

If this was the case, I hope we go with Caufield. Of course there is risk with his size and taking him so high... but there is no denying his skill and talent. He would be dynamite with McDavid or Drai.

Reactions: Apathetic

McNuge

Dec 17, 2010
Cambridge Ontario
I don't know anything about prospects but I can't imagine whatever forward we take at 8 in a weak draft year is going to make an impact anytime soon either. Just take the BPA.

I don't think this draft is weak at all. It is very forward heavy which is exactly what we need. Our top 6 is severely lacking skill in it and a ton of the forwards this year have great skill sets. I disagree, outside of Byram any D taken is going to be at least 2-4 years away where as forwards can adjust and be sheltered better at a younger age. I see the top 10 as Byram and 9 forwards as the BPA. Broberg isn't in that category for me. So in my scenario it will be BPA, if Byram is there you run to the podium or you take one of the talented forwards available.

FlameChampion

Jul 13, 2011

1. Hughes
2. Kakko
3. Turcotte
4. Byram
5. Dach
6. Zegras
7. Cozens

This would leave the Oilers with Podkolzin, Boldy, Caufield, Krebs, Broberg and Newhook to pick from. Of those, I think I would toss a coin between Boldy and Caufield. Broberg probably my third choice. I have nothing against Podkolzin, I just have absolutely zero faith in this organization to develop him. Newhook I think is too much of a reach at 8.

Hard to say in this scenerio I think. I personally think Boldy is probably the safe pick here. From everything I have read he seems to have a fairly high ceiling with a fairly high floor. Krebs would of probably been similar if not for the injury. Solid players with little weaknesses.

Caufield is much more of a boom/bust pick. Might have highest ceiling but higher chance he doesnt hit it. I know speed/skill is the new buzzword but small players still have trouble translating success especially in the playoffs. Fact that hes not an elite skater (from what I have read) scares me a bit. If you cant create separation despite size, it is worrisome. That being said, he does seem to find soft coverage and seems to be able to score from anywhere. Scoring goals is important and this team in particular doesnt have great shooters so I understand why some people covet him.

Podkolzin, seems like a solid player with little weakness. I think he probably has a similar ceiling to Boldy/Krebs, but I think his floor is a bit lower. Combined with his contract status and I personally dont trust the Oilers with this prospect just seems like a risk that isnt necessary. With Holland being more patience, I would feel more comfortable than previous regimes with this player but I cant really see us drafting him.

Broberg is an elite skater, who is raw, who has a lot of things to work on. If those things work out, then hes a great prospect. If those things dont work out, hes an average prospect. The one thing I would say with him, that I dont see a whole lot of discussion on, it just seems like hes a difference maker. With all of the prospects being fairly evenly ranked, I cant see us really drafting a LD. But if someone does love him (and its possible), maybe he could be a solid choice.

Newhook, from everything I read about him seems like a very interesting prospect. Seems dynamic, smart and a great skater. I havent really seen any weaknesses discussed about him other than quality of competition. He could be a bit of a reach at 8, I dunno. I think hes one of those players that people will look back on and say "how did we miss him?". The quality of competition thing is a real thing though. Makar has looked like a stud, but Jost has been a bit of a dissapoinment.

Depends if you want to go boom/bust or safe at the end of day. Reality of the scenerio is that half of these prospects will be players and the other half likely wont. I think you have to just trust the scouts and go by what they see. From everything I have read, I think I would personally lean to Boldy in this scenerio.

Last edited:

McDNicks17

Jul 1, 2010
Ontario
It's kind of funny if you follow the scouting reports of Broberg over the course of the year.

Hlinka: Elite talent. Best defenseman in the draft.

Season in Sweden: Consistently skates himself into trouble trying to do the things he did at the Hlinka. Questionable decision making.

U18s: Elite talent! What hockey sense concerns?

Broberg is almost everything I hate in a prospect.

A size/skating player who you have to hope learns how to play hockey along with a big jump in the rankings because of a short international tournament.

Reactions: B33K33PING

Zaddy

Feb 8, 2013
Call me crazy, but does anyone else see a bit of Miro Heiskanen in Broberg?

The kid definitely has some tools.

I don't think they're similar at all. Heiskanen was an elite skater in every way, Broberg is only elite in straight-line speed. Heiskanen was much smarter, a much better passer, stronger defensively and I think overall had better offensive instincts (even though they weren't as pronounced in his draft year until the U18's)

MCMIL OIL

Oct 19, 2011
Cochrane AB
If the scouts see something in Broberg then they should obviously pick him. If (and it's a if).. Broberg hits and becomes a top 4 defender then we are set up really good on the back end. I just personally don't think see it, but again I'm not a pro scout. I think the risk is more of a factor with Broberg then Boldy/Cozens and I dont really see a ton of upside in Brobergs game. His rushes always seem to be at there best in tournament play. At the NHL level hes not going to get the same time and space. However if we do take him Holland better have a plan in place to address the top 6, cause right now we probably have one of the worst forward prospect pools in the league. I'm fully against Broberg at 8 but I'll at least give it time to play out if it happens.

McDoused

Feb 5, 2007
Katy <3
When does it stop being a problem if you don't address it. Your acting like its crazy that fans have some forwards ranked over Broberg. All your talk about what Broberg could be and how him and Bouchard are a ideal pairing is strictly your opinion and that's it. Its completely justifiable to look at Boldy/Krebs/Caufield/Cozens and have a conversation about what they also bring to the table.

100% we should have the conversation. I'm just replying to the poster who said it would be a massive mistake to even look at Broberg.

Look at how much rankings can change in a year. Especially swedish defenceman. I remember grabbing Lindholm in a mock draft before he was drafted. Karlsson almost came out of nowhere and OEL was a project in his draft year.

I'm just keeping my mind open.

Zaddy

Feb 8, 2013

Oh, baby. Now there's a spicy list.

Hughes
Kakko
Podkolzin
Cozens
Turcotte
Kaliyev
Dach
Krebs
Boldy
Byram

Wait what, they describe Cozens as a "playmaker"? Odd part of his game to focus on.

I actually usually like Red Line Report because their lists tend to be quite different. I remember them being pretty much the only ones having Denis Guryanov really high in 2015, and then he went #12 to Dallas.

They definitely have a different way of evaluating players from most other lists.

EDIT: Just saw their ranking of Byram, #10 and describes him as "Pretty with the puck, pretty awful without it" :D And there's a good example of why I like these guys. Only list out there that has a view on Byram that I can agree with. They're not afraid to be bold, that's for sure.

Seachd

Mar 16, 2002
It's kind of funny if you follow the scouting reports of Broberg over the course of the year.

Hlinka: Elite talent. Best defenseman in the draft.

Season in Sweden: Consistently skates himself into trouble trying to do the things he did at the Hlinka. Questionable decision making.

U18s: Elite talent! What hockey sense concerns?

Broberg is almost everything I hate in a prospect.

A size/skating player who you have to hope learns how to play hockey along with a big jump in the rankings because of a short international tournament.

It makes some sense when you consider he plays in an adult league.

MCMIL OIL

Oct 19, 2011
Cochrane AB
100% we should have the conversation. I'm just replying to the poster who said it would be a massive mistake to even look at Broberg.

Look at how much rankings can change in a year. Especially swedish defenceman. I remember grabbing Lindholm in a mock draft before he was drafted. Karlsson almost came out of nowhere and OEL was a project in his draft year.

I'm just keeping my mind open.

I hear you and it's nice to look at the upside of every prospect but unfortunately for every Karlsson and OEL there is twice as many flops. Identifying which are which is the tough part, especially when you have no forward prospects. A miss on Broberg could be fatal mistakes. I could see how posters could have there concerns. Although we could say we could miss on Boldy also, but most scouts think he is going to become a useful top 9 forward at the very least. This is all speculation of course as we never know how a 17 year old is going to turn out. However there is taking the BPA, then there's logic.. and alot of poster believe Caufield/Boldy/Cozens/Krebs offer enough to make arguments for both those points.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad