Prospect Info: 2019 Draft Thread: The Countdown - 2 days to go!

Status
Not open for further replies.

McDoused

Feb 5, 2007
Katy <3
If they take Broberg at 8 I'm going to have to re-evaluate my scouting skills hahah I just watched and re-read all the reports on him I could find and I'm still coming up short on why he would go in the top 12. He's mediocre at alot of things that make up a elite Defender. I'm hoping there's more to his game then maybe I can see. Either that or I'm hoping the draft unfolds in such a way Holland has a forward ranked higher. If Holland is so high on Broberg you have to think Detroit is still at least putting in the homework on Broberg. Wonder if Zadina over Huges makes Holland approach things at least a little differently.

2019 Draft Preview: Philip Broberg - The Copper & Blue
This article pretty much sums up my concerns about him and picking him at 8.

I'm starting to buy the Broberg hype for a few reasons.

1. Broberg has gotten better as the year has gone on and finished with an exceptional U18s where he was arguably the best defenceman. I like guys that are trending upwards.

2. It seems like Detroit and Holland like Broberg. I've never been one to bet against Detroits scouting staff and ability to develop players. I remember one Detroit scout that had Broberg rated very highly.

3. Broberg has a lot of potential and room to grow. I dont see any big holes in Brobergs game. But he does have a lot of areas where he needs to work on his game. Defenceman take a while to develop. You cant teach his size, skating and smarts. He needs to work on his first pass and polish his game. I wish he was a more polished prospect at 8. Having said that, I think we need to stop looking at what he is now and start looking at the player he could become. He was originally a forward so it's not like hes not still learning how to put it all together. Scouts are talking about how he will be the best 2 way defender of the draft, more complete then Byram.

4. The kid is a one man breakout. He has the speed to get to the puck first and skating ability to move the puck up the ice. It's not like he can't make a 5 foot pass. We severely lack guys who can help with our breakout.

5. I think he would be the perfect partner for Bouchard down the road. We dont need to pair Bouchard with another Bouchard. We need a guy that will let Bouchard do his thing out there and compliment him.

Last edited:

Zaddy

Feb 8, 2013
Highlight video on Broberg which shows what his game is like against a little bit tougher comp than kids.

He does a lot of things well but nothing really at a great level except his skating. Good shot but inaccurate. Good puck skills but not good enough hands to finish plays in tight. Good passer but not good enough to hit stretch passes with consistency. He has a lot of work to do in many areas if he wants to be a high-end defenseman in the NHL. He could get there, but it's going to take a bit of time I think. Whoever drafts him will have to be patient with him.

Reactions: McDoused

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
The supposed interest in Broberg (apparently they are really high on Cozens as well) tells me one thing. That they are going to try to overcompensate with this speed thing, focusing too much on speed without looking at all aspects of the game.

All they've been talking about in the offseason is speed speed and more speed because it's becoming a faster league and while the Oilers do need a speed upgrade, there's so much more that goes into evaluating players. I'd rather have a high skilled player with some skating concerns than a speed demon who has mediocre skill.

From the little I've watching of Broberg, I'm just not seeing a high upside player. He can move well and transport the puck well but there's nothing else about his game that really stands out. The size and speed combo is enticing but skill can't be taught and I'm just not seeing a high skill level with this player (again, small sample size).

They have such a huge need for skilled forwards in the system and with this being such a forward heavy draft at the top, I'd be really disappointed if they passed on one.
Boldy, Krebs and Newhook are three players that I'd be more than happy with at 8. Even Caufield over a Dman.
If they really feel that Broberg is BPA so be it, but I feel like it comes with too much risk.
I don't hate the idea of adding another good D prospect but trade down to get him then.

Last edited:

FlameChampion

Jul 13, 2011
The supposed interest in Broberg (apparently they are really high on Cozens as well) tells me one thing. That they are going to try to overcompensate with this speed thing, focusing too much on speed without looking at all aspects of the game.

All they've been talking about in the offseason is speed speed and more speed because it's becoming a faster league and while the Oilers do need a speed upgrade, there's so much more that goes into evaluating players. I'd rather have a high skilled player with some skating concerns than a speed demon who has mediocre skill.

From the little I've watching of Broberg, I'm just not seeing a high upside player. He can move well and transport the puck well but there's nothing else about his game that really stands out. The size and speed combo is enticing but skill can't be taught and I'm just not seeing a high skill level with this player (again, small sample size).

They have such a huge need for skilled forwards in the system and with this being such a forward heavy draft at the top, I'd be really disappointed if they passed on one.
Boldy, Krebs and Newhook are three players that I'd be more than happy with at 8. Even Caufield over a Dman.
If they really feel that Broberg is BPA so be it, but I feel like it comes with too much risk.
I don't hate the idea of adding another good D prospect but trade down to get him then.

Question: Maybe I havent been following all that close but how do we know that the Oilers are high on Broberg and Cozens? I've heard Stauffer mention them but havent really got any kind of indication from anything I have heard from Holland. Only thing I have gotten from him is that hes watched a lot of the US players while he was in Detroit since it was just down the road.

Reactions: Llamamoto

ImmuneEH

Apr 2, 2017
Taking any d man outside of Byram is a massive mistake. No way in hell should we be using an 8th ov pick on a d man when it's our strongest prospect position and we need wingers like yesterday.

Meh. If the scouts feel that Broberg's upside is higher than Boldy, Krebs, and Caufield then fine.

Drafting him over Turcotte, Dach, Cozens, or Zegras is another story. If these forwards aren't available I don't really care what happens... I'll trust Holland, Gretzky and the scouts I just don't want Podkolzin.

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
Question: Maybe I havent been following all that close but how do we know that the Oilers are high on Broberg and Cozens? I've heard Stauffer mention them but havent really got any kind of indication from anything I have heard from Holland. Only thing I have gotten from him is that hes watched a lot of the US players while he was in Detroit since it was just down the road.

Nothing concrete, just reading the tea leaves with media speculation and the Oilers newfound need for speed.
I saw a Cozens rumor posted here about a week back that the Oilers had a lot of interest in him.

I just took a look at the Broberg Hlinka highlight package and I gotta say that it was impressive even if it was only against kids. That skating and puck carrying is breathtaking so he has that going for him. I just wonder how much he can get away with that in the pros, especially his drives to the net.

McDoused

Feb 5, 2007
Katy <3
Taking any d man outside of Byram is a massive mistake. No way in hell should we be using an 8th ov pick on a d man when it's our strongest prospect position and we need wingers like yesterday.

Adding another top 4 defenseman with top pairing potential would be a massive mistake? So we can take a winger?

I feel like it wasn't long ago when you would get ripped apart for wanting to draft a winger.

Truth is we are so desperate for wingers that fans have closed their minds.

This is the draft, they will be years away from making an impact anyways. We need to stop letting today's problem screw us in the future.

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
Yeah, I don't count myself among those excited by Broberg. I feel like he has max upside of a guy like Klefbom.

Yes, the conventional wisdom is to draft who you think is the best player, and maybe that's Broberg, but with Klefbom/Nurse/Jones/Samorukov/Lagesson in the fold and all pretty young, Broberg wouldn't be in my first three choices with that pick.

Reactions: B33K33PING

Hitman77

May 6, 2015
What does everyone's top 8 draft board look like this close to the draft?

1.)Hughes - Devils
2.)Kakko - Rangers
3.)Turcotte - Hawks
4.)Byram - Avalanche
5.)Dach - Kings
6.)Zegras - Wings
7.)Cozens - Sabres
8.)Newhook - Oilers

McNuge

Dec 17, 2010
Cambridge Ontario
Adding another top 4 defenseman with top pairing potential would be a massive mistake? So we can take a winger?

I feel like it wasn't long ago when you would get ripped apart for wanting to draft a winger.

This is the draft, they will be years away from making an impact anyways. We need to stop letting today's problem screw us in the future.

Our window is now. D always take at least 2-4 years longer to develop. We have 3 capable top 6 forwards and an absolute log jam for D prospects. Unless it's Byram who has shown to have very very high upside, there is no point of taking Broberg as he isn't beating out Klef, Nurse, Jones, or Samorukov any time soon. He just doesn't do anything at an elite level.

Reactions: Zaddy and nuck

McDNicks17

Jul 1, 2010
Ontario
I could understand the Broberg hype a bit more if his entire skating package was elite, but I see a guy with elite straight line speed, average backwards skating and average edges.

It honestly baffles me. I can't recall the last time a defenseman has ever had their upside justified almost solely based on their top speed. Unless it's just straight up bad and going to limit the player, it's so far down the list of qualities I'd look for in a defenseman.

As an example, let's take our boy, Kris Russell. You can magically give him elite straight line speed or great hockey sense and passing. Who is the better defenseman? Pretty obviously the latter, I'd say.

Reactions: Aerrol

Little Fury

Jun 21, 2006
Our window is now. D always take at least 2-4 years longer to develop. We have 3 capable top 6 forwards and an absolute log jam for D prospects. Unless it's Byram who has shown to have very very high upside, there is no point of taking Broberg as he isn't beating out Klef, Nurse, Jones, or Samorukov any time soon. He just doesn't do anything at an elite level.

I don't know anything about prospects but I can't imagine whatever forward we take at 8 in a weak draft year is going to make an impact anytime soon either. Just take the BPA.

McDrai

Mar 29, 2009
What does everyone's top 8 draft board look like this close to the draft?

1.)Hughes - Devils
2.)Kakko - Rangers
3.)Turcotte - Hawks
4.)Byram - Avalanche
5.)Dach - Kings
6.)Zegras - Wings
7.)Cozens - Sabres
8.)Newhook - Oilers

If we're talking mock draft I pretty much have the same except Broberg to the Oilers

MCMIL OIL

Oct 19, 2011
Cochrane AB

When does it stop being a problem if you don't address it. Your acting like its crazy that fans have some forwards ranked over Broberg. All your talk about what Broberg could be and how him and Bouchard are a ideal pairing is strictly your opinion and that's it. Its completely justifiable to look at Boldy/Krebs/Caufield/Cozens and have a conversation about what they also bring to the table.

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta
From the highlights in that video, Boldy has good poise with the puck and can really distribute. Puck moving defenseman are a must for this team. How does he compare to McAvoy?

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
I agree with Hitman. I think the first 7 picks look like this - which is also my "worst case for the Oilers" scenario.

1. Hughes
2. Kakko
3. Turcotte
4. Byram
5. Dach
6. Zegras
7. Cozens

This would leave the Oilers with Podkolzin, Boldy, Caufield, Krebs, Broberg and Newhook to pick from. Of those, I think I would toss a coin between Boldy and Caufield. Broberg probably my third choice. I have nothing against Podkolzin, I just have absolutely zero faith in this organization to develop him. Newhook I think is too much of a reach at 8.

Reactions: Apathetic

nuck

Schrodingers Cat
Aug 18, 2005
I think there is little chance Broberg is their pick. There are a bunch of pretty advanced forwards that should be available and with the lack of depth at forward you don't need to look at a D with any question marks this high. Plus Holland is familiar with the USDP guys and it wouldn't surprise me if he already has one of them in mind at #8.

Last edited:

Dirt McGintty

Jan 29, 2019
Yeah, I don't count myself among those excited by Broberg. I feel like he has max upside of a guy like Klefbom.

Yes, the conventional wisdom is to draft who you think is the best player, and maybe that's Broberg, but with Klefbom/Nurse/Jones/Samorukov/Lagesson in the fold and all pretty young, Broberg wouldn't be in my first three choices with that pick.

I'm not really for or against broberg, but if you end up with a top pairing defenceman at 8 isnt that a win?
Just take the best overall player. Dont draft for need and dont draft for a particular asset. Trends in the league are too fluid. Speed, size are all secondary assets and quite frankly coincidental to success. The best teams with the best compliment of players win. Draft the best overall player.

Reactions: McDoused
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad