2019 Draft Thread Part 2 (Flyers have the 11th selection in the first round)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Foggy14

Sep 13, 2017
Lighten up.

Sure, Curu. I'll try to follow your light-hearted example.

Speaking of light, here's a shift-by-shift video of Cole Caufield (#22) from the USA-Belarus U18 WJC game.

The Belarusians weren't great competition, but Caufield's skills were on display. Nice snipe at 6:03. Great hands and a beautiful backhand finish at 9:46. Completed his hatty on a nice feed from Turcotte at 14:55. Seemed to take his defensive responsibilities seriously, too.

JayB

May 30, 2012
Not in order:

Kreps
Newhook
Zegras
Cozens

Any change to see these at 11th pick?

What about later rounds?

Bruckuss

FML & FCF
Apr 1, 2012
Not Toronto
Love all of the "measures" to prove the validity of the process... It's almost like your process is sketchy and prone to tampering?

A photo of the newspaper? Really Gary?

I want to see the balls weighed... lol

FLYguy3911

Sanheim Lover
Oct 19, 2006
they need to do what tampa did, add more talent on defense, that's why they won over 60 games, if the flyers are able to somehow get 2 or 3 defensemen, they have a great chance of being better in the metro but standing pat will put this team in a bottomless pit.
Tampa might be the worst team in the league selecting amateur defensemen and the best at selecting forwards over the last decade. Hedman is great, but their team is driven by the play of their forwards. Not the best example.

Reactions: Captain Dave Poulin

Stizzle

Feb 3, 2012
I see everyone is acting level-headed and handling the events of last night well.

I have also learned by reading this thread the 11th pick is best used to overpay for a 30 year old defenseman on an expiring contract. Or some other similar panic stricken move for a defenseman that will cause major expansion draft protection issues.

tenor.gif

Rich Nixon

No Prior Knowledge of "Flyers"
Jul 11, 2006
Key Biscayne
It sucks we went down a spot, but honestly, if that's that case, I'm okay with getting someone very good that we can wait a year or two on.

Someone from college or maybe someone like Soderstrom who could do very well with another year in Sweden or a full year in the AHL.

Also, while those two did get the top 2 picks, you have to remember, they need to fill up the rest of their team. Both teams have some pretty awful depth issues and getting one single great player won't fix the issue of depth and goaltending. Flyers are in such a position that 11th suits them well enough because of the depth and quality of young players they have.

I know people are thinking about trading the pick, but I think that's a mistake and that's something Homer would do.

Putting together a team that plays 10 playoff rounds in four years is also something Homer would do (sarcasm emoji).

But for real, it’s go time, if there’s a good trade to be made with that pick then let ‘er rip. The cupboard is plenty full, be smart with the second rounders and go get you an NHLer for October 2019.

Embiid

Off IR for now
May 27, 2010
Philadelphia
Well that was fun. Kind of the way sandpapering your nuts is fun.

Oh well, hopefully they make a good pick at 11 and don't do something asinine like swapping the pick for some 32 year old Dman or center. But then again, this is the Flyers and pain and suffering are our proud

Carlson for Eminger .....

Last edited:
Reactions: Ruck Over

bauer

I MISS GHOST
Nov 11, 2007
Im all for packaging this pick in a trade.

if it makes sense absolutely. but i wouldn't trade it for just any mediocre player. but if the Jets offer up Trouba but want the 11th as part of the deal, yeah, you do that in a heartbeat.

Reactions: Danko

tucson83

Sep 30, 2017
Tampa might be the worst team in the league selecting amateur defensemen and the best at selecting forwards over the last decade. Hedman is great, but their team is driven by the play of their forwards. Not the best example.

look at the bluejackets and predators, they are loaded at forwards and they barely made the playoffs, you look at teams that made the playoffs besides those teams, they are not loaded on forwards, they all have great bluelines, i mean that's why teams like the oilers and sabers that are loaded on fowards and havent made the playoffs because they dont have great bluelines.

look at the flyers when they made their cup runs after 06-07, they didnt have a great forwards, they had great blueline defensemen, i think fans, gms are completely overlooking that.

Reactions: magnumpi

Stizzle

Feb 3, 2012
Carlson for Eminger .....

Paul Holmgren 10 years ago or...

"We want to win now." - Dave Scott

"We want a GM with a bias for action." - Dave Scott

"We're looking forward to the trade deadline and think there are going to be some great opportunities." - Dave Scott

I hope we can be just like Calgary! Trading a #12 pick (Dobson) and 2 2nds for Travis Hamonic.

Or St. Louis! Brayden Schenn for 2 1sts (Farabee and Frost).

Or Arizona! Derek Stepan for the 7th overall.

We need to win now and make win now moves by trading an expansion protected high 1st. Just like those teams! Trouba and his 8x8 contract calls out to us like a siren at sea.

Something similar to a Travis Hamonic or Steve Eminger scenario is on the way, and half the posters here are going to love it. They're practically begging for it. Meanwhile, conveniently forgetting the Flyers superb draft record over the last 15-20 years and that giving up a great expansion draft exempt player is f***ing crazy.

FLYguy3911

Sanheim Lover
Oct 19, 2006
look at the bluejackets and predators, they are loaded at forwards and they barely made the playoffs, you look at teams that made the playoffs besides those teams, they are not loaded on forwards, they all have great bluelines, i mean that's why teams like the oilers and Sabres that are loaded on fowards and havent made the playoffs because they dont have great bluelines.

look at the flyers when they made their cup runs after 06-07, they didnt have a great forwards, they had great blueline defensemen, i think fans, gms are completely overlooking that.
Nashville barely made the playoffs?

You’re missing the point. You’re in the draft thread, pointing at Tampa as a model to follow (and they are), and saying we should draft defensemen. Tampa has been terrible at drafting defensemen. They are great at finding elite talent up front, especially outside of the first round which is very difficult to do.

Pick the best player. Forward or defenseman. There is no secret balance between forwards and defensemen that makes teams more competitive than others.

Magua

Entirely Palatable Product
Apr 25, 2016
Huron of the Lakes
The only issue with Caufield is he doesn't give much margin for error. Picking at #11 is different than #21, if you know what I mean. It takes guts to do that as a GM. I don't want to say he's one dimensional because he can score goals in umpteen ways and is a smart goal scorer too. He has super soft hands carrying pucks; he's a better passer than his stats make out simply because he plays a role with Hughes, though he's no primary initiator. But he's a player who can need other players to succeed due to his physical limitations.

He's a fine skater, but he's never been a huge entry/exit guy on my watches. I think his feet are quicker than his stride, but again, Hughes effect is in force given he skates every puck up. Caufield is not a player who will be depended on to go into corners and win puck battles, though he has a good motor and his low center of gravity allows him to fish out pucks in the dirty areas. He's basically a pure off-puck finisher who relies on his smarts and compete elsewhere.

People will compare him to DeBrincat, and the size/scoring/IQ fits, but I'm not sure if DeBrincat isn't a slightly more well-rounded offensive player. DeBrincat has been pretty special in his early career, and unique players like that don't come around often. But his skating was knocked, he was called a product of his linemates (McDavid/Strome; now Hughes for Caufield), he was kicked off the WJC team after his draft, and the size label always hung over him. It's tough to bet on lightning striking twice, but I wouldn't be shocked if it happened with Caufield. He has unique talents too. But we're also talking #11 vs #39.

He will absolutely go in the 1st, maybe even teens, but I'm skeptical he goes as high as #11 because of the obvious. Prove me wrong, Fletch. Under Hextall, I'd say no way. But I'm not sure how the scouts value players like this either. Most hockey guys do hockey guy things when it comes to evaluating.

I actually have Caufield, for now, as my top ranked forward at #11, barring someone falling. It really might be him or a defenseman for me. I like him more than players with a lot more hype, like Krebs and Dach. I don't get what a lot of people see in them. I'm not saying I'd take him over him, but if he ended up having a higher ceiling than Podkolzin too, I won't act surprised. Call me crazy, but I calls 'em as I sees 'em. He's probably the ~5th most naturally talented forward in the draft after Hughes/Kakko/Turcotte/Zegras.

BiggE

SELL THE DAMN TEAM
Jan 4, 2019
Somewhere, FL
The only issue with Caufield is he doesn't give much margin for error. Picking at #11 is different than #21, if you know what I mean. It takes guts to do that as a GM. I don't want to say he's one dimensional because he can score goals in umpteen ways and is a smart goal scorer too. He has super soft hands carrying pucks; he's a better passer than his stats make out simply because he plays a role with Hughes, though he's no primary initiator. But he's a player who can need other players to succeed due to his physical limitations.

He's a fine skater, but he's never been a huge entry/exit guy on my watches. I think his feet are quicker than his stride, but again, Hughes effect is in force given he skates every puck up. Caufield is not a player who will be depended on to go into corners and win puck battles, though he has a good motor and his low center of gravity allows him to fish out pucks in the dirty areas. He's basically a pure off-puck finisher who relies on his smarts and compete elsewhere.

People will compare him to DeBrincat, and the size/scoring/IQ fits, but I'm not sure if DeBrincat isn't a slightly more well-rounded offensive player. DeBrincat has been pretty special in his early career, and unique players like that don't come around often. But his skating was knocked, he was called a product of his linemates (McDavid/Strome; now Hughes for Caufield), he was kicked off the WJC team after his draft, and the size label always hung over him. It's tough to bet on lightning striking twice, but I wouldn't be shocked if it happened with Caufield. He has unique talents too. But we're also talking #11 vs #39.

He will absolutely go in the 1st, maybe even teens, but I'm skeptical he goes as high as #11 because of the obvious. Prove me wrong, Fletch. Under Hextall, I'd say no way. But I'm not sure how the scouts value players like this either. Most hockey guys do hockey guy things when it comes to evaluating.

I actually have Caufield, for now, as my top ranked forward at #11, barring someone falling. It really might be him or a defenseman for me. I like him more than players with a lot more hype, like Krebs and Dach. I don't get what a lot of people see in them. I'm not saying I'd take him over him, but if he ended up having a higher ceiling than Podkolzin too, I won't act surprised. Call me crazy, but I calls 'em as I sees 'em. He's probably the ~5th most naturally talented forward in the draft after Hughes/Kakko/Turcotte/Zegras.
I’d love to see Turcotte or Zegras fall, but I’m not holding my breath. What are your thoughts on Soderstrom? I haven’t seen a lot of him, but what I’ve seen I love.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Well, Arizona got Raanta as well as Stepan.
Trading the #11 isn't crazy, it's just not something that should be done on a whim or to placate Scott.

Someone like Spurgeon, with 1 year left on his deal and approach 30, would normally cost a 1st rd pick in the 20s and maybe a 2nd tier prospect or a 3rd/4th rd pick.
St Louis expected to trade #27 and #20-25 for B Schenn, and had a salary dump thrown in with Lehtera.
#11 is worth what? 2 picks in the 20s?

Dooble08

Jan 12, 2019
I don't think the current terrible playoff format will last too much longer, and we'll be back to seeding the conferences 1 thru 8 pretty soon.

Honestly, the current format and seeding 1-8 doesn't significantly change the playoffs around. The 2 vs. 7 and 3 vs. 6 series would change in each league. Plus, we have much more interesting/rival series instead of Boston vs. Carolina, Washington vs. Toronto, San Jose vs. Dallas, Nashville vs. Vegas.

TCTC

Mar 25, 2013
Honestly, the current format and seeding 1-8 doesn't significantly change the playoffs around. The 2 vs. 7 and 3 vs. 6 series would change in each league. Plus, we have much more interesting/rival series instead of Boston vs. Carolina, Washington vs. Toronto, San Jose vs. Dallas, Nashville vs. Vegas.
Nobody wants rival series in the first round every year though. Facing the Pens in the Conference final again would be nice. But that's nearly impossible under the new format.

Reactions: Curufinwe and Fasu

Magua

Entirely Palatable Product
Apr 25, 2016
Huron of the Lakes
I’d love to see Turcotte or Zegras fall, but I’m not holding my breath. What are your thoughts on Soderstrom? I haven’t seen a lot of him, but what I’ve seen I love.

Turcotte won't fall. Neither will Zegras. I think Boldy has a slight chance, but we'll see. Going from #10 to 11 might make a difference. I have my personal opinions on everyone though, so someone else falling isn't a positive per se.

My only worry with Soderstrom is ceiling. His hockey sense is tremendous. His defensive fundamentals might be the best in the class, with Byram. And he's only 5'11 and playing against men in the SHL. His ability to decipher coverages or make switches or take away space 1v1 is fantastic. His stick work is precise; gaps tight; even for a smaller player he's great at board pins and using his body for leverage and clearing the crease. But he's a great breakout passer too. His skating is good, not great. He's quite agile on his edges; it might be top end/first step more than anything in need of some added muscle.

He flashes offensive skill -- it's latent -- but I'm not sure I'd bank on it. He can be a little rigid at times skating pucks up. Above average one timer though. Not really sure he's a great PP QB; fine in the cycle, but again, not sure creativity will be his calling card. So, all in all, he'd be a great top 4 potential RHD fit here who could exist at close to full value on ES/SH time alone. His hockey sense and fundamentals and transition passing will absolutely play. He's that high floor/mid ceiling player Hextall would covet, I reckon. I also think it's a pretty safe bet he doesn't end up the best player at #11 down the line. I need to figure out how to rank York vs. Soderstrom, given York's more natural talent and puck skills. He's not deficient defensively, but he's not Soderstrom either. But his ceiling might be higher. So, I really like Soderstrom; his fit is terrific; but I know it's a safer pick.

BiggE

SELL THE DAMN TEAM
Jan 4, 2019
Somewhere, FL
Turcotte won't fall. Neither will Zegras. I think Boldy has a slight chance, but we'll see. Going from #10 to 11 might make a difference. I have my personal opinions on everyone though, so someone else falling isn't a positive per se.

My only worry with Soderstrom is ceiling. His hockey sense is tremendous. His defensive fundamentals might be the best in the class, with Byram. And he's only 5'11 and playing against men in the SHL. His ability to decipher coverages or make switches or take away space 1v1 is fantastic. His stick work is precise; gaps tight; even for a smaller player he's great at board pins and using his body for leverage and clearing the crease. But he's a great breakout passer too. His skating is good, not great. He's quite agile on his edges; it might be top end/first step more than anything in need of some added muscle.

He flashes offensive skill -- it's latent -- but I'm not sure I'd bank on it. He can be a little rigid at times skating pucks up. Above average one timer though. Not really sure he's a great PP QB; fine in the cycle, but again, not sure creativity will be his calling card. So, all in all, he'd be a great top 4 potential RHD fit here who could exist at close to full value on ES/SH time alone. His hockey sense and fundamentals and transition passing will absolutely play. He's that high floor/mid ceiling player Hextall would covet, I reckon. I also think it's a pretty safe bet he doesn't end up the best player at #11 down the line. I need to figure out how to rank York vs. Soderstrom, given York's more natural talent and puck skills. He's not deficient defensively, but he's not Soderstrom either. But his ceiling might be higher. So, I really like Soderstrom; his fit is terrific; but know it's a safer pick.
Yeah, he seems like a guy who’d be a great partner for a more offensive player like Sanheim. He’s absolutely a guy I could see Hextall taking, with Fletcher, I’m not as sure. I love guys with top notch hockey sense who can make smart plays under pressure. That’s something that really can’t be taught.

Dooble08

Jan 12, 2019
Nobody wants rival series in the first round every year though. Facing the Pens in the Conference final again would be nice. But that's nearly impossible under the new format.

I think it makes the entire playoffs more enjoyable. Currently, you have rivalry series, rivalry series, then the top 2 teams(in the playoffs) from each conference playing each other.

Just to take Tampa this year. They have to play Columbus, then (probably) Boston, then Washington (or Pittsburgh). If we ranked 1-8, they would play Columbus, then Pittsburgh, then either Washington or Boston. In the end, it probably doesn't matter which format they use. But I would argue the current is more interesting overall.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad