2019 Draft Thread Part 2 (Flyers have the 11th selection in the first round)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
It sucks we went down a spot, but honestly, if that's that case, I'm okay with getting someone very good that we can wait a year or two on.

Someone from college or maybe someone like Soderstrom who could do very well with another year in Sweden or a full year in the AHL.

Also, while those two did get the top 2 picks, you have to remember, they need to fill up the rest of their team. Both teams have some pretty awful depth issues and getting one single great player won't fix the issue of depth and goaltending. Flyers are in such a position that 11th suits them well enough because of the depth and quality of young players they have.

I know people are thinking about trading the pick, but I think that's a mistake and that's something Homer would do.

I'm not worried about either team in 19-20.

I'm worried about them BEYOND that though.

New York is a desirable location for free agents which can accelerate New Yorks rebuild. Shero knows what he is doing in NJ and can build around two excellent Centers.

There is a very good chance they pass us just as we are supposed to be contenders.

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
I actually think Florida getting the #1 pick would have been the worst outcome. Q, Bob, Panarin, Barkov, Hughes, Ekblad.... :scared:

I don't think the current terrible playoff format will last too much longer, and we'll be back to seeding the conferences 1 thru 8 pretty soon.

landsbergfan

Jun 20, 2018
Really hoping zegras falls to us. Everything scream high skilled very smart. Just overshadowed by Hughes.
I think we had better odds of getting 1st overall, but there's still time for someone to take out his knees

Ghosts Beer

I saw Goody Fletcher with the Devil!
Feb 10, 2014
I’m probably going to regret saying the drop from 10 to 11 doesn’t matter as much this year as it could in other drafts.

Watch Soderstrom go 10th thanks to my jinx.

Though there are other players who will be available at 11 in the same tier & whom I also like, I can’t help but have a particular affinity for the way Soderstrom plays.

Reactions: renberg

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
What is the height of the shortest player Fletch and Blue Balls have ever drafted?

Fletcher drafted some smaller players with Minnesota.
Granlund 5'10 185, #9 2010
Zucker 5'11 183, #59 2010

He's not obsessed with size.

WIP CALLER

Aug 18, 2016
Im all for packaging this pick in a trade.
I agree, this team needs help now, not in 2-4 years when whoever we draft will be ready. Package it in a deal to land a legit top 6 fwd or top 4 dman. I'm over having a mediocre team. Go balls out for next year.

Reactions: Danko and Lurch

Foggy14

Sep 13, 2017
MSE posted this in part I.

Hall is actually talking about "his" lottery record like: (1) being a key player on perpetual lottery teams is a good thing; or (2) he had something to do with ping pong ball luck?

iu

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
You can see why they don't show this live.

Seravalli says the Flyers had almost as good odds as the Devils to get the #1 pick based on the first three numbers drawn.

Last edited:

tucson83

Sep 30, 2017
I'm not worried about either team in 19-20.

I'm worried about them BEYOND that though.

New York is a desirable location for free agents which can accelerate New Yorks rebuild. Shero knows what he is doing in NJ and can build around two excellent Centers.

There is a very good chance they pass us just as we are supposed to be contenders.

that's why fletcher has to make trades and get a good coach, we need more proven talent on this team, we cant go next year with the what if prospects and these players have to step up, especially with hart in goal, it's going to get from bad to worse if they do that. if the flyers want to succeed and not let the devils kill us, they have to go all in now on talent whatever is out there.

CowboyDan

Jan 28, 2017
Germany
I'm cool with moving the pick if it brings back an impact forward or a top 4 D (Trouba)

I want something that is going to give us results now, and not have to wait 3.4 years.

This team needs to do something now.

ted2019

History of Hockey
Oct 3, 2008
pittsgrove nj
They need o package the 11th and a prospect not named Frost and get a top line winger or a top 2 defense. Gotta start winning around here again, so I can be disappointed after they get eliminated in the playoffs.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Shero knows what he is doing in NJ and can build around two excellent Centers.

That remains to be seen.
He's been a meh drafter, and has two good trades, Larsson for Hall, and 2nd and 3rd for Palmieri, the rest of his moves have been meh.
He has four quality forwards, a group of young second tier defensemen (Stevenson, Butcher, Vatanen and Mueller), and a young goalie.
Smith is his only quality prospect in the pipeline.
Enough to get to the playoffs and pick in the late teens, early 20s, not enough to be a SC contender even with Nico and Hughes.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
The worst thing Fletcher can do is try to win now, because that almost never works but is a great way to deep six your future.
And the way to screw up the franchise is to overpay for a "name" just to create a media stir.

Flyers need to be tweaked, but they don't need a major overhaul.
Young players tend to improve as they gain experience. And god knows we have our share and the next guy's share of young players.

#11 is a high probability NHL starter, probably within 2 years, on a low cost ELC followed by a reasonable cost RFA extension.
You can only carry so many big contracts (see Toronto), you need those cheap young players for depth, otherwise you'll see more Weise, Varone, and Knights filling out the roster in the future.

If you trade that pick, it had better be for a legitimate top six forward or top four defenseman just entering his peak years who can be signed to a cost effective extension. And they are hard to obtain.

mr figgles

Mar 24, 2012
You can say why they don't show this live.

Seravalli says the Flyers had almost as good odds as the Devils to get the #1 pick based on the first three numbers drawn.

It starts and ends like a kidnapping video. He holds up the paper in the beginning to show the date, and tells them they can't leave at the end.

And thanks Frank, for setting my bush on fire after my nuts have already been stepped on.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad