Prospect Info: 2019 Draft Thread: Oilers Picking 8th, Would You Take Caufield at #8?

Would You Take Caufield 8th?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Lewy

May 26, 2011
I bet the oilers like Newhook a whole bunch. Not sure he will be there at 8.

McDrai

Mar 29, 2009
Here is my top 10 subject to change:

1. Hughes
2. Kakko
3. Turcotte
4. Byram
5. Dach
6. Krebs
7. Zegras
8. Boldy
9. Cozens
10. Caufield

Reactions: McJesusSaves97

5 14 6 1

We are the 11.5%
Sep 15, 2010
Alberta
I think were all starting to under rate Cozens a bit. Guy is a horse. Plus he's a guy from the NWT, so I have to think he'd have no problem playing in Edmonton. 6'3 and can absolutely fly.

Reactions: ujju2 and McDoused

McDoused

Feb 5, 2007
Katy <3
I think were all starting to under rate Cozens a bit. Guy is a horse. Plus he's a guy from the NWT, so I have to think he'd have no problem playing in Edmonton. 6'3 and can absolutely fly.

HFOil isnt a fan for whatever reason. Personally, hes been in my top 5 all year.

I'm no professional scout but I tend to evaluate players differently then other people. For me, I like players that still have warts and room for development. Most of these kids are far from finished projects and I look at where they are now and what their potential is.

When I look at Cozens and the level that he is currently at, I see a guy who outproduced Dach and Krebs by a significant amount. When I look at what he could be if he puts it all together is a big right handed center that scores goals. Guys like that are incredibly hard to find.

North

Jun 25, 2009

1. Hughes
2. Kakko
3. Turcotte
4. Byram
5. Dach
6. Krebs
7. Zegras
8. Boldy
9. Cozens
10. Caufield

At the end of the day as long as we don’t go off the board I’d be happy with any of those guys.

Reactions: 5 14 6 1

Slats432

Jun 2, 2002
hockeypedia.com
My thinking is that Yamamoto plays aggressively and is physical along the boards and in the corners. He is too small to play this way at the NHL. The key will be whether he can adjust to playing differently in the NHL.

Caufield is already a non-physical floater. His game really does not need to change that much to play pro.

Caufield is way better at finding space.
I went back and looked at a bunch of offensive plays by Yamamoto in his D+1 year. Then watched Caufield's highlights and you are certainly right that Caufield is better at finding space but I didn't see much offense by Yamamoto created physically and aggressively by the boards. It wasn't that dissimilar to Caufield's offensive package. (Again, Caufield shoots first way more than Yamamoto)

McDNicks17

Jul 1, 2010
Ontario
HFOil isnt a fan for whatever reason. Personally, hes been in my top 5 all year.

I'm no professional scout but I tend to evaluate players differently then other people. For me, I like players that still have warts and room for development. Most of these kids are far from finished projects and I look at where they are now and what their potential is.

When I look at Cozens and the level that he is currently at, I see a guy who outproduced Dach and Krebs by a significant amount. When I look at what he could be if he puts it all together is a big right handed center that scores goals. Guys like that are incredibly hard to find.

That's not a bad philosophy, but I'd say that's more reason to have him lower than higher.

Cozens is very much a finished product at the junior level to me. That's why he's outscoring those other guys. He's a complete player and able to abuse that level of competition because of his physical tools.

Tobias Kahun

Oct 3, 2017

You don't just look at production when evaluating CHL players. Their teams and teammates play a huge role into this. Cozens teammates scored significantly more than Krebs.

Reactions: smokersarejokers

gordonhught

Feb 18, 2009

1. Hughes
2. Kakko
3. Turcotte
4. Byram
5. Dach
6. Krebs
7. Zegras
8. Boldy
9. Cozens
10. Caufield

Good list. I think the top 7 are set unless someone takes Cozens or Podkolzin in the top 7.

Assuming that your 1-7 are accurate, then I would have the following:

8. Cozens
9. Soderstrom
10. Caufield
11. Boldy

I am not even going to rank Podkolzin. I have no idea on that player.

Mind you, I like Soderstrom more than others.

belair

Jay Woodcroft Unemployment Stance
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
I think Podkolzin and Detroit makes too much sense. Need at RW, Datsyuk's teammate and Stevie Y not being shy about drafting Russians. I think there's no chance he slips past them.

McDoused

Feb 5, 2007
Katy <3
I think Podkolzin and Detroit makes too much sense. Need at RW, Datsyuk's teammate and Stevie Y not being shy about drafting Russians. I think there's no chance he slips past them.

The wings have taken a Russian with their first pick once in the past 18 years. I dont get where this thinking comes from.

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
You don't just look at production when evaluating CHL players. Their teams and teammates play a huge role into this. Cozens teammates scored significantly more than Krebs.
Yes and no. Better teammates doesn't always lead to better numbers. Look at Bouchard. Much better team this year and his numbers didn't really improve.

Reactions: McDoused

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
I'll be super pissed if we draft Broberg or Soderstrom. Those guys project as what...2nd pairing d at best?

Reactions: 780il

BudBundy

May 16, 2005
I went back and looked at a bunch of offensive plays by Yamamoto in his D+1 year. Then watched Caufield's highlights and you are certainly right that Caufield is better at finding space but I didn't see much offense by Yamamoto created physically and aggressively by the boards. It wasn't that dissimilar to Caufield's offensive package. (Again, Caufield shoots first way more than Yamamoto)
Would you say Caufield is faster than Yamo?

McDoused

Feb 5, 2007
Katy <3
That's not a bad philosophy, but I'd say that's more reason to have him lower than higher.

Cozens is very much a finished product at the junior level to me. That's why he's outscoring those other guys. He's a complete player and able to abuse that level of competition because of his physical tools.

I get the concerns that some players in juniors have inflated stats because they are playing against kids. They just overpower some of the smaller players and itt can become a problem when that's how they put up the majority of their points. Having said that, I don't see Cozens as being that one-dimensional. We could use more guys like him that can actually establish a forecheck and not just produce off the rush (which he can do too).

Also, I've never been one to see having physical tools as a negative thing. I love that he works hard along the boards and has the size, speed and skill to get the puck and take it to the net.

McDoused

Feb 5, 2007
Katy <3

It's not really Cozens fault that he had better linemates and was able to produce with them. He still lead his team in scoring.

belair

Jay Woodcroft Unemployment Stance
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
The wings have taken a Russian with their first pick once in the past 18 years. I dont get where this thinking comes from.
Steve Yzerman has had great success drafting from Russia with the Lightning who've taken players from there in the past two drafts. He is their GM now.

Pavel Datsyuk is likely also going to be Podkolzin's teammate next season.

Reactions: Aerrol and McDoused

McDNicks17

Jul 1, 2010
Ontario
I get the concerns that some players in juniors have inflated stats because they are playing against kids. They just overpower some of the smaller players and itt can become a problem when that's how they put up the majority of their points. Having said that, I don't see Cozens as being that one-dimensional. We could use more guys like him that can actually establish a forecheck and not just produce off the rush (which he can do too).

Also, I've never been one to see having physical tools as a negative thing. I love that he works hard along the boards and has the size, speed and skill to get the puck and take it to the net.

It's not that his physical tools are a negative.

It's that they're hiding a weakness at the junior level that will likely get exposed at the NHL level when his physical advantage isn't as great.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad