2019 Draft Talk

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rick C137

Jun 5, 2018
Lose a lot for Turcotte
Selfishly I’d love if we drafted Turcotte. Used to hang out/skate with his older brother a bit back in the day and I met Alex a couple times when he was way younger. Quite the interesting family.

I’m intrigued where he ends up going. He doesn’t seem to have a consistent ranking range. He’s been all over depending on the list.

Last edited:
Reactions: Toews2Bickell

Toews2Bickell

It's Showtime
Nov 24, 2013
Selfishly I’d love if we drafted Turcotte. Used to hang out/skate with his older brother a bit back in the day and I met Alex a couple times when he was way younger. Quite the interesting family.

I’m intrigued where he ends up going. He doesn’t seem to have a consistent ranking range. He’s been all over depending on the list.

Lets trade for a mid first and scoop up both the Sconnie kids in Turcotte and Caufield...

Ace Card Bedard

Back in Black, Red, and White
Feb 11, 2012
Kings are clearly all-in for the tank after trading Muzzin.

Hawks gotta start sucking again.

Kevin Musto

Hard for Bedard
Feb 16, 2018
I really hope the Hawks find a way to take Spencer Knight in the draft.
It's gonna take another 1st. Otherwise we're not using our only 1st on a goalie. A team like Buffalo who has three 1st rounders might be the one to snag him. The thought of UPL and Knight (if they both pan out) as a tandem is pretty scary haha.

BK

"Goalie Apologist"
Feb 8, 2011
Minneapolis, MN
It's gonna take another 1st. Otherwise we're not using our only 1st on a goalie. A team like Buffalo who has three 1st rounders might be the one to snag him. The thought of UPL and Knight (if they both pan out) as a tandem is pretty scary haha.

I agree. I am hoping we can aquire another 1st or 2.

Reactions: Kevin Musto

Malagahawks

We tanked hard and got Bedard!! Happy Days!!
Oct 23, 2018
Malaga, Spain
Honest question, if we happen to go on that crazy winstreak & somehow get in with the 2nd WC would you?:

Trade up our 2019 1st (probably in the 10-15) range coupled with a 2020 2nd and our 2021 1st for a top 2 pick this year?
This ensures we have a chance at Highes/Kakko and can sign Panarin in 1 off season.

Too much or too little?

ColdSteel2

Aug 27, 2010
Honest question, if we happen to go on that crazy winstreak & somehow get in with the 2nd WC would you?:

Trade up our 2019 1st (probably in the 10-15) range coupled with a 2020 2nd and our 2021 1st for a top 2 pick this year?
This ensures we have a chance at Highes/Kakko and can sign Panarin in 1 off season.

Too much or too little?

Honestly, I think it’s highly unlikely a team would trade that far down out of that spot just to get more picks. Especially to a team like the Hawks with all of their cap space, the future picks could be toward the end of the draft board. We’d probably have to offer a package of prospects.

I hope they do some selling so the team just picks top 5 with their own pick. If we get to a point where we want to move up just a few spots to get one of the top guys, I think we can and should do a deal like you proposed involving future draft picks to get that blue chip forward we need.

Hawkaholic

Dec 19, 2006
London, Ont.

Too much or too little?
If we make the playoffs, the pick is in the 15-20 range. No one is trading a top 2 pick for that + another pick unless that other pick is top 7.

Malagahawks

Oct 23, 2018
Malaga, Spain
Honestly, I think it’s highly unlikely a team would trade that far down out of that spot just to get more picks. Especially to a team like the Hawks with all of their cap space, the future picks could be toward the end of the draft board. We’d probably have to offer a package of prospects.

I hope they do some selling so the team just picks top 5 with their own pick. If we get to a point where we want to move up just a few spots to get one of the top guys, I think we can and should do a deal like you proposed involving future draft picks to get that blue chip forward we need.

Or maybe even sacrifice our 1st and 2nd this year plus other sweetners. Not sure about the NHL but blockbusters trades like this happen in the NFL/NBA to move into the top 3 in certain drafts. It definitely depends on individual team needs.

ColdSteel2

Aug 27, 2010
Or maybe even sacrifice our 1st and 2nd this year plus other sweetners. Not sure about the NHL but blockbusters trades like this happen in the NFL/NBA to move into the top 3 in certain drafts. It definitely depends on individual team needs.

Yeah, there’s just too big of a drop off in the probability of winning that trade in the NHL, whereas in the NFL, you know you are probably getting starting players with all of those picks.

However, if the Hawks pick 15-20, add the 2nd and someone like Ian Mitchell, maybe even Kurashev as well, that package might be very appealing to a team picking top 2 that needs a lot more help than just Hughes/Kakko can bring.

Personally, I think this mini win streak is an aberration and they will pick in the top 10 at the very least. Then at least you are high enough where a team picking top 3 can still get a guy they really like and add more picks.

Malagahawks

Oct 23, 2018
Malaga, Spain
Yeah, there’s just too big of a drop off in the probability of winning that trade in the NHL, whereas in the NFL, you know you are probably getting starting players with all of those picks.

However, if the Hawks pick 15-20, add the 2nd and someone like Ian Mitchell, maybe even Kurashev as well, that package might be very appealing to a team picking top 2 that needs a lot more help than just Hughes/Kakko can bring.

Personally, I think this mini win streak is an aberration and they will pick in the top 10 at the very least. Then at least you are high enough where a team picking top 3 can still get a guy they really like and add more picks.

Will that be enough potential to lure back a FA like Panarin?

ColdSteel2

Aug 27, 2010
Will that be enough potential to lure back a FA like Panarin?

Probably not. Players want to walk into a turn key situation where they are the final piece. Nothing we can do between now and July 1st is going to let us compete with Tampa Bay or other Cup contenders. That’s why we need to keep making moves for the long term rebuild.

If Panarin or Stone come here, it will be for the money and the opportunity to play with Toews and Kane.

Reactions: Drumman44

Kevin Musto

Hard for Bedard
Feb 16, 2018
At the rate the Hawks are playing, say goodbye to our top 10 pick :(

It means we could be looking at Pelletier so not a terrible position to be in. Still would prefer Turcotte though...

Teemu

Caffeine Free Since 1919
Dec 3, 2002
First mock draft of the year complete. Hawks won the lottery as they were the 2nd worst team at the time we started

1 (1): C Jack Hughes, Team USA (NTDP)
2 (33): C/RW Albin Grewe, Djurgårdens IF (SHL)
4 (95): G Pyotr Kochetkov, HK Ryazan (VHL)
4 (114): LD Mike Koster, Chaska High School Hawks (USHS)
5 (132): RW Eric Ciccolini, Toronto Jr. Canadiens (OJHL)
6 (157): RD Sean Larochelle, Victoriaville Tigres (QMJHL)
7 (200): LD Sergei Sapego, Prince Albert Raiders (WHL)

Ace Card Bedard

Back in Black, Red, and White
Feb 11, 2012
Ducks are in SUPER-tank mode now.
Gibson on IR and Chicago's own Bob Murray (who has never coached before) behind the bench.

Kevin Musto

Hard for Bedard
Feb 16, 2018

LDF

Sep 28, 2016
None of these are too shocking except for Newhook. He plays a really strong north-south game and he's very fast. His hands keep up with his feet too. I wouldn't let him drop outside the top 15.
i was looking at the list and i see some other players not on that list. but you are right Newhook and for me the d-man Honka who i had higher than 27. i had him in the mid teens. i am seeing a liking for the d-men of the 1st rounders.

btw everyone knows of my liking for the sniper Arthur Kaliyev . well he is listed at 22

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad