2019 Draft Talk

Status
Not open for further replies.

pvr

Leather Skates
Jan 22, 2008
Not really expecting to get a top two or even top three pick. Hoping though. Let’s say third pick or beyond, who’s the choice?

Of the remaining, between Podkolzin, Dach, Cozens, Turcotte, Zegras and Boldy, who would be the best pick and fit? I’m leaning towards Cozens and Turcotte. Would like a center...can’t have too many in the system, and can always convert to wing. Admittedly, don’t know enough about Podkolzin.

Giovi

Sponsor
Feb 1, 2009
10 of 10 scouts consulted by TSN still have Hughes as the clear #1.

“Hughes was the clear No. 1 to start the season, he is, for me, the clear No. 1 right now and I strongly suspect he’ll be the clear No. 1 at the draft,” another scout added. “There have been times this season where [Hughes] hasn’t been as productive or dominant as we expected, but he’s still playing at a really high level and putting up points. He’s a special player. So have Kakko and Podkolzin closed the gap? Yes, they have. But does a gap still exist? I would say yes.”

Reactions: migi

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba
10 of 10 scouts consulted by TSN still have Hughes as the clear #1.

“Hughes was the clear No. 1 to start the season, he is, for me, the clear No. 1 right now and I strongly suspect he’ll be the clear No. 1 at the draft,” another scout added. “There have been times this season where [Hughes] hasn’t been as productive or dominant as we expected, but he’s still playing at a really high level and putting up points. He’s a special player. So have Kakko and Podkolzin closed the gap? Yes, they have. But does a gap still exist? I would say yes.”
yep, as I said the challenge will be between #2 and #3 , Hughes has been #1 for almost 3 years now when early rankings came out...the gap has been wide in my eyes between him and everyone else...scouts keep confirming it.

hawksfan50

Feb 27, 2002
Heard the interview with Dan Marr the Director of NHL Central Scouting on Sirius XM NHL Radio recently.. The of course have Hughes as #1 NA skater and Kako as #1 Euro Skater ...he refused to say who will go #1 overall ...only that it is like a 1A vs.1B choice and that if you polled all NHL teams for their choice of #1 overall ,it probably would be 15 for one of them and 16 for the other ...

As to the Hawks,Hughes o isthe wrong fit ...Kakko is the perfect fit at wing.. He is a left shot who plays RW...

If Kakko is taken #1 by another team and Hawks are #2 ,I would then either take Podkolzin off the board or trade down a couple of spits (2 spits or 3 spots) ..

If Hughes is taken #1 and if Hawks drafted at #2 then our choice of Kakko is obvious.

But what if we draft #3 ? Well if the return high enough would consider moving down 1 or 2 spots;Podkolzin still could be there at #4 or #5 depending on whether a team wants the top dman at #3 or if they want a Center and prefer one of the 2 big Centers in Dach or Cozens ...But even if Podkolzin taken at #3 we probably still get my #4 target Alex Turcotte at #4 or #5 *I personally like him over the 2 Big Centers Dach and Cozens) ...

What if Hawks draft at #4 after the lotto draws.?.Again if Dman Bowen Byram is coveted by a team at #4 we could trade down 1-2 spots and Still get one of my 2 targets Podkolzin or Turcotte..

If we draft at #5 and Podkolzin cane.voff the board at #3 or #4 , then grab Turcotte at #5 ..But if it miraculously turns out that teams at #3 and #4 took Byram and Dach or Cozens ,we still get a Podkolzin or Turcotte choice.

If we draft #6 ...I do not think Podkolzin lasts past #5, so we take Turcotte at #6 .

If we draft at #7 ...then either Turcotte or 1 of Dach or Cozens is still likely on the board ...hopefully we still get Turcotte ..but if not? WELL IF Dach or Cozens still on the board at #7 not sure I want either of them there. Trade down? PICK Peyton Krebs(C) Mathew Bold (LW) Arthur Kaluiyev (RW..one of top 2 snipers in thus draft?)

If we pick 8th 9th or 10th ...probably the same names as in #7 above to choose from except 1 of them off the board.

The other top D-men,Broberg and Harley could enter the picture in the top 7-10 to push some of the forwards down a spit bit two ..but I think the Hawks want to targeteither a forward or a Center DE pending on who remains on the board at the dot they draft at.

In summary I hope Hawks get 1 of:

Kakko ,Podkolzin or Turcotte ..

Turcotte is ranked 4th or 5th still by 2 ranking organizations...but lower (11-15 range ) by others...

Remember though he missed a lot of the first half due to injury. ..out of sight out of mind ? He is now back and producing again and I think what he brings in the package and his numbers still suggest to me an actual top 5 valuation ..I like him more than the 2 highly rated Centers with big size Dach and Cozens from the WHL..

Alex Turcotte brings great speed and skill mix and a 2 -way game with at least average physicality. ..He fits us better than a Hack Hughes Because:

Hughes is not going to play a 3C rile...Turcotte could because his compete and 2 way game isa lit better than Hughes. ..If he were 3C he would drive a line offensively but case be defensively good for that rile..With Toews and Strome here set at 1C and 2C there is no role for Hughes in the top 6 at his position and we do not want Mother surf von the wing in the top 6 ...No role for Hughes = bad fit for the Hawks situation.

So Hawks either fill a difference-maker need on the wing with Kakko or Podkolzin or we go for a great speed great skill 2way C in Turcotte ...who would play a great 3.C differenxe-maker role and could move up to 2C or 1C if Strome or Toes get injured ...Or eventually take over at 1 C in 4-5 years when Toews no longer can do the role there but could drop to a 3C role himself.

So it will be interesting to see where we end up drafting ...who remains on the board. .and what Stan does facing various options ..

Giovi

Sponsor
Feb 1, 2009
Marrs comment, if thats what he said, is directly refuted by McKenzies article, where he says every NHL scout he talked to had Hughes as the clear #1.

If that opinion holds up through to draft day, as most think it will, and the Hawks pick first, not taking Hughes would be roughly the same as taking Van Riemsdyk and leaving Kane in 2007.

Think about how that would have turned out for the Hawks.

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba
Marrs comment, if thats what he said, is directly refuted by McKenzies article, where he says every NHL scout he talked to had Hughes as the clear #1.

If that opinion holds up through to draft day, as most think it will, and the Hawks pick first, not taking Hughes would be roughly the same as taking Van Riemsdyk and leaving Kane in 2007.

Think about how that would have turned out for the Hawks.
some of us have been saying the gap is much bigger between 1 and 2 then 2 and 3...meaning Hughes has been #1 for 3 years now, the kid has held on this entire time which is rare as many early top phenoms fade off - see John Macfarland, Patrick Khodorenko, and Nick Ebert for early examples of that.

I cannot see any way Hughes doesn't go #1, there is not a single scouting service that doesn't have him #1...NONE...that is rare because even some scouting services will try and be different for the click bait material to try and draw interest..that hasn't even happened here yet..it is telling. now add in all the NHL scouts as well saying the same thing and the race for #1 seems pretty set right now.

Hughes might not be in the McDavid/Matthews tier, but I think he isn't that far off and he has the ability and skillset in today's game to be right there with those guys. Drafting #1 here is more important than last 2 years IMO...this is the 07' draft all over again for us as this is the draft we want to be #1 in where we can get another Kaner type impact player here.

piteus

Dec 20, 2015
NYC
There must be a reason Hughes is the consensus #1 pick for 3 seasons straight.

If equal, I think the Hawks can use Kakko's skillsets more (as described). However, if Hughes is that consensus, how can you pass him up?

BOTTOMLINE: The Hawks need a top 2 pick. If not, the other top 10 picks don't appear too different as described by the posters.

Kevin Musto

Hard for Bedard
Feb 16, 2018
There must be a reason Hughes is the consensus #1 pick for 3 seasons straight.

If equal, I think the Hawks can use Kakko's skillsets more (as described). However, if Hughes is that consensus, how can you pass him up?

BOTTOMLINE: The Hawks need a top 2 pick. If not, the other top 10 picks don't appear too different as described by the posters.
Obviously a top 2 pick would be fantastic, but if we miss out it's not like everyone sucks in the 3-5 range. Turcotte will likely be available and he's in the conversation for being ranked at #2. Lots of similarities to Jonathan Toews.

piteus

Dec 20, 2015
NYC
Obviously a top 2 pick would be fantastic, but if we miss out it's not like everyone sucks in the 3-5 range. Turcotte will likely be available and he's in the conversation for being ranked at #2. Lots of similarities to Jonathan Toews.
Perhaps. I know nothing about the NHL DRAFT except through you guys. It's seems like after the first two prospects, there is a lot of volatility.

featherhawk

Dec 13, 2006
if we get the number one pick you take hughes IMO. He Strome and Toews as C depth is fabulous, that way Kampf can be the 4th line C like he should be.
If you get the second pick its the Finn
If you get the third pick its the russian
Fourth = Shitty ass luck, I think that there is for sure a top 3

Last edited:
Reactions: LDF

puterwiz53

Nov 17, 2010
Saint John, New Brunswick
The best scenario is for Bowman to trade all he can for picks and prospects and let the rest of the season unfold and the Hawks will probably finish last. We will know more once we see what this trade deadline brings.

Kevin Musto

Hard for Bedard
Feb 16, 2018
The best scenario is for Bowman to trade all he can for picks and prospects
Not all he can. Attempt to move dead weight like Kunitz, Kruger, and Martinsen even if it's for 7th round picks. Then find a suitor for Forsling and Hayden, two young guys we should give up on.

Saad, Anisimov, and Gustafsson are the big maybe pieces. Don't need to actively shop any of them out for picks or prospects, but if someone calls Stan they should be made available for the right price.

Giovi

Sponsor
Feb 1, 2009

Not to be argumentative, but the fact is theyre not equal.

According to pretty much every single NHL scout, Hughes is the undisputed #1 pick.

I keep on posting this, and others keep on coming back with "ifs" "ands" and "but"s.

There are, at this time, no ifs ands or buts. Not if youre considering the opinions of actual paid NHL scouts.

Yes, there are, through history, guys who have bombed as the consensus #1. But the vast majority are there for a very valid reason.

KWP

Aug 18, 2018
The Nearest Gin Joint
We're drafting 31st.* Deal with it you guys.

* - Or is Seattle picking? I dunno, alls I know is we're taking out BUF Friday night and then going on a 46 game win streak - the last 30 warm up tilts and 16-0 real season.

Seeyas at the Parade! "Fxxking-A ChiCAWgo!"

Jay haller

Oct 22, 2017
Not to be argumentative, but the fact is theyre not equal.

According to pretty much every single NHL scout, Hughes is the undisputed #1 pick.

I keep on posting this, and others keep on coming back with "ifs" "ands" and "but"s.

There are, at this time, no ifs ands or buts. Not if youre considering the opinions of actual paid NHL scouts.

Yes, there are, through history, guys who have bombed as the consensus #1. But the vast majority are there for a very valid reason.

But he’s a smurf. Ergo he sucks. We need truculence just like the Brian Burke leafs.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad