2019 Draft Talk

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ace Card Bedard

Back in Black, Red, and White
Feb 11, 2012
Tankathon has us back in last place, Hughes or Kakko are within reach!!!

Even if they finish last it's only an 18% chance to pick #1 and about a 50% chance to top in the top 3.
A simple coin flip and the Hawks draft spot could be 4th.

Only 2 of the last 8 #1 picks have come from the last place team.

Kevin Musto

Hard for Bedard
Feb 16, 2018
So hypothetically, if we don't get into the top 2 for Jack or kakko, who do people want at number 3??? I know people are usually leery of the Russians but Vasili Podkolzin is realllllyyyy growing on me. And if I were Stan, id have to think long and hard about taking him there.
Turcotte at 3

pvr

Leather Skates
Jan 22, 2008
I doubt we are in the bottom 3 when it's all said and done-----my pick would be Matt Boldy. I sure do hope we get some defensively sound, hard to play against D men in the next rounds after that----the Hawks are dire need for some hostility, they let opposing players just sit around the crease care free.
That Sh!x has been happening for many years.

Toews2Bickell

It's Showtime
Nov 24, 2013
Even if they finish last it's only an 18% chance to pick #1 and about a 50% chance to top in the top 3.
A simple coin flip and the Hawks draft spot could be 4th.

Only 2 of the last 8 #1 picks have come from the last place team.

100% chance to draft top 4 and nearly 4:1 chance to draft gentleman jack..,i’m cool with that gamble...i dont understand the people bringing up the math... yes the hawks only draft hughes roughly 1 in 5 times but we cant change the math...what argument are you making here...

hawksfan50

Feb 27, 2002
But :

1.As I have pointed out,Hughes (if we get to draft him at #1) is Not going to be a 3C role. guy...either a 1C or a 2 C...

Now if we put him at 2C ,regardless if you prefer Strom at 3C (also not optimal role for him) ...it means that the 2nd line is going to be too smurfy with Kane and the very tiny Hughes and especially if you want D-Cat there ..

So if we play Hughes at 2C you need Saad or some other Bigger winger on the LW ...else you have the smallest line in the history of the NHL. ..just will not work..They will get dominated down lowv9n the boards..and none areally really that good defensively ..It just does not pass the smell test.

So your only 2. Options with Hughes are i) play him at 1C and drop Toews to 3C ...because we know the "nuclear ootion" fails 5x5 (tested by both Q and JC ...it does not really work well at 5x5 ...

BUT while the aging Toews may be a good fit as 3C now ..are YOU or Hawks Management going to actually demote him. .he will be angered at such "humiliation"
..even if it is best for the team going forward.

ii) play Hughes at 2C with Kane at RW but find some big LW who can finish,defend and dig pucks off the boards. ..Saad is hardly that solution...Does not do any of those things well enough ...

Thus to me ...Hughesvisxa bad fit for our situation...Rather start with Kakko at wing and get our new 1C of the future next draft in 2020.. But we gotta tank again next season.

Hughes may fit lots of teams but not us.

Hey if STL ends up with pick #2 after lotto and we end up with pick #1 ...maybe they are so desperate for "generational Hughes" they would agree to us trading down a spot for
For their pick at #2 and we also give our 2020 2nd rounder for their 2020 1st
..I mean Hughes alone will propel them immediately at least to playoffs right? But I would gamble they are back in top 5 territory ..so I want that 2020 slit in aditiin to our likely top too.

9f course if we did that great deal, we will win big I'm the long run and the re-build around 3 top 5 picks in the combined next 2 drafts means we will cone roaring g back after that.

It all depends on a realistic look at the non -fit here with Hughes and the leverage we could get using him to move down still get a good winger this draft and then get two top 5 picks next draft (cause we plan to fail again next season.

Blue Liner

Dec 12, 2009
Chicago
I'll be damned if I'm going to go back and look for myself, and he never replies to posts, so what were Fiddy's thoughts of DeBrincat way back when? Was he a smurf, bad idea to draft, etc? Asking for a friend.

Reactions: ChiHawks10

ClydeLee

Mar 23, 2012
I'll be damned if I'm going to go back and look for myself, and he never replies to posts, so what were Fiddy's thoughts of DeBrincat way back when? Was he a smurf, bad idea to draft, etc? Asking for a friend.
No surprise this is what he said on the 1st page of the Cat draft thread...
We passed on Morrison who is a LW and big and skilled to go with smurfy DeBrincat ?Gonna get pushed around forever..Fire Kelley!!! AND THERE GOES Kaukkonen off the board...went earlier than expected..

And by the way of course Morrison with his size is great... or just now considered at the low end of prospects for the Avs and solid but not great at Norte Dame still.

ClydeLee

Mar 23, 2012
doubled. And then Fiddy went on to complained stan was gonna call Cat a steal.

Anywhoo, the whole draft odds as a case against tanking is silly. It lessens the heat chance and makes the end of the regular season not as dynamic as Buffalos tank was when they guaranteed at least Eichel. But at worst 4 is still great and theres a good crop of forwards for all the top 5ish slots

Reactions: Toews2Bickell

swerdnase

Jan 27, 2013
The point of ending up in last place isn't that you have great odds, it's that you have the best odds. No guarantee , but better shot than anyone else.

Reactions: LavalPhantom

piteus

Dec 20, 2015
NYC
Remember the 2004 NHL draft? The Hawks had a chance to draft higher ... and then got the #3 pick. The consensus top 2 picks in that draft;

1. Ovechkin
2. Malkin

The Hawks ended up with the best DMen that year ... Cam Barker. That said, it probably helped to draft Toews and Kane by sucking so much.

Kaners Bald Spot

Dec 6, 2011
Kane County, IL
Remember the 2004 NHL draft? The Hawks had a chance to draft higher ... and then got the #3 pick. The consensus top 2 picks in that draft;

1. Ovechkin
2. Malkin

The Hawks ended up with the best DMen that year ... Cam Barker. That said, it probably helped to draft Toews and Kane by sucking so much.
Yes, and then there was no 04-05 season, so the entire draft was lottery based. If they play that season you'd bet your ass they'd have had a wonderful shot at Sid. Hawks end up picking 7th, Kopitar is sitting there and Tallon picks f***ing Skille. Imagine if they had grabbed the 2nd best player in that draft at 7.

Giovi

Sponsor
Feb 1, 2009
No surprise this is what he said on the 1st page of the Cat draft thread...
We passed on Morrison who is a LW and big and skilled to go with smurfy DeBrincat ?Gonna get pushed around forever..Fire Kelley!!! AND THERE GOES Kaukkonen off the board...went earlier than expected..

And by the way of course Morrison with his size is great... or just now considered at the low end of prospects for the Avs and solid but not great at Norte Dame still.
The Morrison he cites is Cam Morrison, currently having an unspectacular season at UND. ISS takes on him in their draft prospectus included "average puck skill", "lacks speed and mobility", "Didn't play well in open ice lacking ability to carry the puck in traffic." THN cites him as a well below average skater.

But hey, 6'2", 203 at the draft so a far better choice than ADB.

hawksfan50

Feb 27, 2002
Well...we are dead last now in the NHL ...a terrific feat if we can just keep on
with our tank...

But we all know the hockey gods will provide unprecedented bad luck in the lotto draws to us..such that 3 teams finishing higher in the standings and with less chance in the lotto ....will get lucky and move up to the 1 -2-3 spots and we would select 4th...For sure no Hughesville Kakko for us ..

We would get the leftovers among Podkolzin Cozens or Dach or maybe Stan chooses Turcotte the local Illinois kid ...whatever. ..whoever we get probably will be the 1 bust of the top ten and never get to his expected ceiling or be a total bust...cause even since Toes went to Machu Picchu and came back with the curse ,things just have not gone well...It may be a long time before the hockey. Y gods show mercy on us again .

Oh well...there is always the 2020 draft ......Looking forward to another tanking season in 2019 /20 ...

So if we finished last next season ,you would expect that rotten draft luck cannot duplicate again ...Surely our luck will finally cone through ..but I still would not bet the farm on it.

Kaners Bald Spot

Dec 6, 2011
Kane County, IL
Well...we are dead last now in the NHL ...a terrific feat if we can just keep on
with our tank...

But we all know the hockey gods will provide unprecedented bad luck in the lotto draws to us..such that 3 teams finishing higher in the standings and with less chance in the lotto ....will get lucky and move up to the 1 -2-3 spots and we would select 4th...For sure no Hughesville Kakko for us ..

We would get the leftovers among Podkolzin Cozens or Dach or maybe Stan chooses Turcotte the local Illinois kid ...whatever. ..whoever we get probably will be the 1 bust of the top ten and never get to his expected ceiling or be a total bust...cause even since Toes went to Machu Picchu and came back with the curse ,things just have not gone well...It may be a long time before the hockey. Y gods show mercy on us again .

Oh well...there is always the 2020 draft ......Looking forward to another tanking season in 2019 /20 ...

So if we finished last next season ,you would expect that rotten draft luck cannot duplicate again ...Surely our luck will finally cone through ..but I still would not bet the farm on it.
Fiddy, I will ask you again, did you go to an AA meeting? You've quit drunk posting. Congrats on the sobriety my friend.

BK

"Goalie Apologist"
Feb 8, 2011
Minneapolis, MN
with our tank...

Well it is official. Meth is in Canada.

Reactions: ChiHawks10

pvr

Leather Skates
Jan 22, 2008
hf50 probably believes Toews took a sacred stone out of Machu Picchu, dooming him and the Hawks with bad luck for the rest of eternity.

Reactions: ClydeLee
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad