Prospect Info: 2019 Draft Discussion: LA Kings pick 5th, 22nd overall

Status
Not open for further replies.

Telos

In Gavrikov We Must Trust
Aug 16, 2008
Reno, NV
From my short time watching Kupari I think he's a tremendously gifted puck skill player who has excellent speed. I feel like what will determine if and how that translates to success in the NHL will come down to learning how to discipline himself in the use of those puck skills. If he tries to use allot of that flashy pond hockey stuff to "show his stuff" he's not going to be very effective. That won't work at this level, these players are too good and he wont succeed IMO if he does. He cant overdo that stuff. He's already proven he's good enough to be in the NHL now he needs to figure out how and when to spot use that where the opportunity comes to him and keep his game simple. I got a feeling he's going to have to be coached to be patient and disciplined but if he does master it then he has a very high ceiling.

He definitely needs to learn how to finish over here. Just about every highlight I see of him is him flying down the rink beating three guys only to race around the boards or circle the zone and plop a shot straight into the goaltender's chest or lap. He has all of the tools, and ridiculous skating, but some time in the AHL learning how to maximize his production will do him some good. If he is able to get there, I have enough faith in our development team to get him there.

KingCanadain1976

Jul 8, 2009
Thunder Bay Ont. Can
I don't see him being moved but given the amount of teams that feel in the playoffs and claimed they needed more grit, his value should be at a peak right now. Would be wise to shop him now but I do not see it
Only way i see him going to another team is at deadline someone gives him a playoff run and then he will resign in the off season. This will not be a popular thought but it suits his mentality to do anything to help this team.

KingCanadain1976

Jul 8, 2009
Thunder Bay Ont. Can
I've been one of Clifford's harshest critics around here. I don't like his game, fighting abilities, or his IQ of the game; however, I've become to love him as a person and do agree with the organization that he's been invaluable as a culture changer. My stance on him has softened over time, and I think that as much as I want to deal him now and just walk away with the assets, he is probably more valuable remaining on the team and leading the bottom 6 and showing the new kids how to be pros. He is someone who has sacrificed everything for the team. He's literally held nothing back. I value him now as much as I do Dustin Brown. If there is anyone that deserves to remain on the team and lead the kids to the next era of Kings hockey, it's him. I think he is already a lock to have a job within the organization after he retires. I doubt they're prepared to move him whatsoever.

This post made me smile. I have probably been Cliffords biggest fan around here and its nice to see hes earned your respect. You are totally right in pointing out hes given his all for the kings. I know u have been hard on him over the years and i want to say its nice to see u admit this new stance on him. Stick tap

Legionnaire

Help On The Way
Jul 10, 2002
LA-LA Land
If they pass on Byram I'm going to be pissed. Otherwise, one of the centers at five will be fine.

I would not be upset with Broberg. Although he's a project he has the physical tools to be elite.

Reactions: Jungle Boy

Peter James Bond II

Mar 5, 2015
To be fair, I didn’t say Kupari was a third line talent. I just said I don’t see him as a first line player. And by that, I really mean I don’t see him as a top-30 in scoring kind of guy. A Kane, Gaudreau, Panarin kind of guy. I mean technically, Iafallo and Brown were top line players last year, so the bar is super low around here.

If he develops into a good second-line player, I’ll be really, really excited.

Sorry about that, no you didn't say that. Good discussion on Kupari. It seems no one has been talking about him here much and I think he's going to surprise many to the upside. It's like many are thinking, another Kempe....and that's fine, but we need a legit, first line dynamo. It's just too difficult and too early to judge where 18-19 year olds will be at 22 in their game. Many do not get better after 22, but some do and get better in areas. You have to be happy to see him score 33 pts in Liiga. Those are very good numbers there as a teen.

I still would call Kupari an eltite talent - skating and skills...but that does not make him an elite player. That takes putting it all together; becoming mature and being consistent, playing within a structure and producing. As cyclones22 and RocketKing state - he will have to reign in the pond hockey stuff and he will...but I like the comment about him having the edge to attack defenses and being a little reckless - aggressive. The Kings do not have any aggressive forwards in the attacking sense. I think Kovalchuk used to excel at that and still has ability too, but he's 36 and that is a bit waning now. Leipsic even tried to be aggressive, but is not capable of producing a lot at the NHL level....but should be admired for his efforts. Too bad none of the top 6 guys are not so aggressive. Brown still has some, but will be 35.

Ontario Reign should be more fun to watch (assuming Kupari and JAD are there - think JAD makes Kings, though - especially if they move another vet or 2 out) Reign - Kupari, JAD, Lizotte (think he will surprise to the upside and be better than Rempal) Luff (if there) Mikey Anderson, Durzi, Phillips. If the Kings took Leason at #33 overall, think he could play there too.

Last edited:

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
Sorry about that, no you didn't say that. Good discussion on Kupari. It seems no one has been talking about him here much and I think he's going to surprise many to the upside. It's like many are thinking, another Kempe....and that's fine, but we need a legit, first line dynamo. It's just too difficult and too early to judge where 18-19 year olds will be at 22 in their game. Many do not get better after 22, but some do and get better in areas. You have to be happy to see him score 33 pts in Liiga. Those are very good numbers there as a teen.

I still would call Kupari an eltite talent - skating and skills...but that does not make him an elite player. That takes putting it all together; becoming mature and being consistent, playing within a structure and producing. As cyclones22 and RocketKing state - he will have to reign in the pond hockey stuff and he will...but I like the comment about him having the edge to attack defenses and being a little reckless - aggressive. The Kings do not have any aggressive forwards in the attacking sense. I think Kovalchuk used to excel at that and still has ability too, but he's 36 and that is a bit waning now. Leipsic even tried to be aggressive, but is not capable of producing a lot at the NHL level....but should be admired for his efforts. Too bad none of the top 6 guys are not so aggressive. Brown still has some, but will be 35.

Ontario Reign should be more fun to watch (assuming Kupari and JAD are there - think JAD makes Kings, though - especially if they move another vet or 2 out) Reign - Kupari, JAD, Lizotte (think he will surprise to the upside and be better than Rempal) Luff (if there) Mikey Anderson, Durzi, Phillips. If the Kings took Leason at #33 overall, think he could play there too.

Well, the thing with that is I don't take it as an insult/slam; Kempe was seen as a raw guy with enough NHL tools to be a bottom sixer but with top line upside, and it was his consistency/upside that was always the question. Even if he never puts it all together, he's a decent NHL player, like Cogliano, and will only get better as he rounds his game out. Kupari has a similar--better--skillset so it stands to reason he's in the same predicament. I think he'll play. It's up to him if he ends up a first-liner.

Reactions: Peter James Bond II
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad