Prospect Info: 2019 Devils-Centric Final Mock Draft, 70 Picks

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ripshot 43

Jul 21, 2010
I’ve argued against trading our 1st round pick for 3 years in a row now. Ignoring how whichever player we would’ve acquired could’ve positively or negatively changed our position in the standings, we would’ve missed out on 3 huge pieces if we made the try to scrape into the playoffs trades that many on here ask for on a yearly basis when we are rebuilding. If we make those trades we would’ve missed out on...

Nico Hischier
Ty Smith
Jack Hughes

That is our future (and next season our now) folks. Do not trade our 2020 1st!!!!

StevenToddIves

May 18, 2013
Brooklyn, NY
If you can do other machinations to get it done, then fine. Otherwise, how many projected first rounders are going to be as good or better than Trouba within the next four years? Not many, and even in the worst case scenario, missing out on Lafrenier is only a disaster in the sense that you could trade that pick for a king’s ransom.

I believe the window for us to be a really good team is opening now. I would do everything we can to blow it wide open from the start.

I can explain my philosophy easily. I think trading your #1 to become a contender is often disastrous (see: Ottawa). But once you are already in contention it's not a terrible move. This is why trades of #1 picks at the deadline are commonplace, whereas trades of #1 picks at the beginning of seasons often wind up with Turcotte/Byram going to Colorado. Either Turcotte or Byram would immediately become the highest upside player in the entire Ottawa organization.

Even if the Devils were to lottery-protect the pick, the 2020 draft class is loaded with two-way, left-shot defensemen in the top 20 to 25. The Devils desperately need this. I think the Devils are better off weaponizing their cap space to attain assets or getting creative with their own assets than making such a risky gamble with a first-round pick.

I see your point that the Devils have the opportunity to jump-start their rebuild and should aggressively pursue this, and I think your ideology is sound. I just think there are better ways to do this than trading a first rounder while you are not yet out of a rebuild, even if you see that light at the end of a tunnel.

StevenToddIves

May 18, 2013
Brooklyn, NY
I’ve argued against trading our 1st round pick for 3 years in a row now. Ignoring how whichever player we would’ve acquired could’ve positively or negatively changed our position in the standings, we would’ve missed out on 3 huge pieces if we made the try to scrape into the playoffs trades that many on here ask for on a yearly basis when we are rebuilding. If we make those trades we would’ve missed out on...

Nico Hischier
Ty Smith
Jack Hughes

That is our future (and next season our now) folks. Do not trade our 2020 1st!!!!

100% agreed. Thank you, @Ripshot 43

Stephen Gionta

Boston College > Boston University
Jun 15, 2015
East Rutherford, NJ
My top 15 rankings. (Not a mock draft, just my personal opinion on rankings. For example, I think Chicago takes Turcotte.)

1. Hughes
2. Kakko
3. Byram
4. Turcotte
5. Zegras
6. Caufield
7. Dach
8. Cozens
9. Boldy
10. Harley
11. Seider
12. Podkolzin
13. Krebs
14. Newhook
15. Kaliyev

Couple Notes:
- I almost put Byram ahead of Kakko at #2. I think Byram has Norris caliber defenseman written all over him.
- I have 4 players from the USNTDP in the top 6 of the draft.
- I think Harley deserves to be a top 10. Love his demeanor and skillset. Just a fantastic defenseman. Top pairing potential.
- Podkolzin really didn't impress me at all in the U18's, and I wasn't that impressed with him to begin with.
- Broberg doesn't make my top 15.

Reactions: StevenToddIves

Stephen Gionta

Jun 15, 2015
East Rutherford, NJ

Nico Hischier
Ty Smith
Jack Hughes

100% agreed. Thank you, @Ripshot 43

But what about the 3 prior drafts...

Mike McLeod
Pavel Zacha
John Quenneville

It is unlikely the Devils will win the lottery yet AGAIN. Though if we still have Hall who knows :sarcasm:.

I wouldn't be opposed to trading the 2020 1st rounder if it was in the right deal for a top pairing or top line player. Which in this case, I believe would propel the Devils into a sure-fire playoff spot unless something goes awfully wrong this season. But yes in principal, I agree do not trade the 2020 1st rounder.

Jacob Trouba would be the only player that is currently rumored to be on the trade market that I would be okay with trading the 2020 1st rounder for.

Setec Astronomy

Jun 15, 2012
I can explain my philosophy easily. I think trading your #1 to become a contender is often disastrous (see: Ottawa). But once you are already in contention it's not a terrible move. This is why trades of #1 picks at the deadline are commonplace, whereas trades of #1 picks at the beginning of seasons often wind up with Turcotte/Byram going to Colorado. Either Turcotte or Byram would immediately become the highest upside player in the entire Ottawa organization.

Even if the Devils were to lottery-protect the pick, the 2020 draft class is loaded with two-way, left-shot defensemen in the top 20 to 25. The Devils desperately need this. I think the Devils are better off weaponizing their cap space to attain assets or getting creative with their own assets than making such a risky gamble with a first-round pick.

I see your point that the Devils have the opportunity to jump-start their rebuild and should aggressively pursue this, and I think your ideology is sound. I just think there are better ways to do this than trading a first rounder while you are not yet out of a rebuild, even if you see that light at the end of a tunnel.

As I said, if we can accomplish the goal much at roughly the same price to get Palmieri or Johansson, I’m down for that. Let’s just hope that Philly has different trade targets than we do, since it looks like they’re not getting outbid.

EDIT: The other thing I’ll add is that I think trading our 2020 first not lottery protected would bring back an enormous haul given that other teams probably underestimate how good we can be, and they have it in their heads that they can luck out like Colorado did. I’m not talking about trading it for a middle pairing guy.

And just to be clear, I wouldn’t be for it even if we were picking 3rd. It’s the fact that we are looking at having one of the top 3 if not the best one-two center punch in the league that allows you to do this.

Last edited:

ChicksDigTheTrap

No quick fixes, no cutting corners and no cheating
Sep 16, 2018
Springsteen Country

Agree 100%. Would also point out that Shero has only traded first round picks in the past at the deadline. IMO the big problem with trading the 2020 first is how do you value it? While I expect the Devils to be much improved, it is possible that it could be somewhere between 1 and in the low 20's IMO. Lottery protected picks lose value because the other team may have to wait. IMO the rebuild is going fine. Based on Shero's answer at the presser with Harris when he got his extension, he did not sound like a GM that was going to be trading his first round picks while the Devils are "building".

NJDevs

Jun 28, 2018
New Jersey
34 NEW JERSEY: RD Kaeden Korczak here is an example of a team getting precisely what they need — Korczak is big and projectable at 6’3/195, incredibly strong and physical, with the upside as a powerful shut-down D to pair with your top offensive D to free him up to create. He clears creases, dominates in corners and lays out opponents with big hits. While not a burner, he skates well enough to keep up with opposing skill forwards, and features a very hard shot from the point.

I'm curious why you think Korczak would be the Devils pick here over Ryan Johnson. Johnson seems to do just about everything above average, is a great skater, and seems to excel at breaking the puck out (at least in the games I've watched). Johnson seems more like the Devils' type of player based on past Shero/Castron drafts.

I honestly see him as a late riser and someone who'll surprise folks getting picked in the late 1st. I'd be shocked if the Devils went with a big defenseman over a puck moving one, with sound defensive play in this scenario.

StevenToddIves

May 18, 2013
Brooklyn, NY
My top 15 rankings. (Not a mock draft, just my personal opinion on rankings. For example, I think Chicago takes Turcotte.)

1. Hughes
2. Kakko
3. Byram
4. Turcotte
5. Zegras
6. Caufield
7. Dach
8. Cozens
9. Boldy
10. Harley
11. Seider
12. Podkolzin
13. Krebs
14. Newhook
15. Kaliyev

Couple Notes:
- I almost put Byram ahead of Kakko at #2. I think Byram has Norris caliber defenseman written all over him.
- I have 4 players from the USNTDP in the top 6 of the draft.
- I think Harley deserves to be a top 10. Love his demeanor and skillset. Just a fantastic defenseman. Top pairing potential.
- Podkolzin really didn't impress me at all in the U18's, and I wasn't that impressed with him to begin with.
- Broberg doesn't make my top 15.

Great list! Your top 5 precisely mirrors mine (I've been working on my Top 62 all week). I appreciate your gutsy rankings of Harley and Seider, they both possess the talent to make you look very good 5 years down the line.

StevenToddIves

May 18, 2013
Brooklyn, NY

Mike McLeod
Pavel Zacha
John Quenneville

It is unlikely the Devils will win the lottery yet AGAIN. Though if we still have Hall who knows :sarcasm:.

I wouldn't be opposed to trading the 2020 1st rounder if it was in the right deal for a top pairing or top line player. Which in this case, I believe would propel the Devils into a sure-fire playoff spot unless something goes awfully wrong this season. But yes in principal, I agree do not trade the 2020 1st rounder.

Jacob Trouba would be the only player that is currently rumored to be on the trade market that I would be okay with trading the 2020 1st rounder for.

Zacha is a key part of the Devils future. If he is paired with Hughes this upcoming season (which I see as highly likely), he might have a huge offensive jump. McLeod is very valuable trade bait right now, as he still possesses the upside of a middle-6, two C/RW with speed for days. Quenneville was the final pick in the first round of a draft class of questionable depth, and was picked by an entirely different scouting staff.

StevenToddIves

May 18, 2013
Brooklyn, NY
As I said, if we can accomplish the goal much at roughly the same price to get Palmieri or Johansson, I’m down for that. Let’s just hope that Philly has different trade targets than we do, since it looks like they’re not getting outbid.

EDIT: The other thing I’ll add is that I think trading our 2020 first not lottery protected would bring back an enormous haul given that other teams probably underestimate how good we can be, and they have it in their heads that they can luck out like Colorado did. I’m not talking about trading it for a middle pairing guy.

And just to be clear, I wouldn’t be for it even if we were picking 3rd. It’s the fact that we are looking at having one of the top 3 if not the best one-two center punch in the league that allows you to do this.

I think Winnipeg takes the Philadelphia 2019 #11 pick over even the Devils unprotected 2020 pick. The Jets pick better out of the USHL than anyone, and would love a shot at a Boldy or Caulfield or York.

Ripshot 43

Jul 21, 2010

Mike McLeod
Pavel Zacha
John Quenneville

All good points but poor drafting doesn’t change my decision. I also see Zacha as a very different prospect than the other 2 you named. We are rebuilding and taking short cuts leaves you with bad FA signings/contracts and no draft picks to fill out prospect pool with (sound familiar?). Thankfully I feel that we are nearing the end of the rebuild but we still have some work to do. With that said I still wouldn’t risk trading what I expect to be a top 20 pick (may be much higher).

The 2020 1st would only be in play for me in a trade in which we end up giving up many more large pieces to get a player tiers above Trouba. I believe Trouba can grow but I think he isn’t currently that 1A 1st pairing defender like some think he is. I think he could be a 1B Guy (as I call it), meaning he has to be paired with the proper complimentary defender or he will look bad. We already have that in Severson I believe but we just don’t have the 1A guy to go with him.

Again, I would be thrilled with acquiring Trouba but only if it’s in the right deal where we don’t give up what with proper drafting should be a big part in our teams future.

StevenToddIves

May 18, 2013
Brooklyn, NY
I'm curious why you think Korczak would be the Devils pick here over Ryan Johnson. Johnson seems to do just about everything above average, is a great skater, and seems to excel at breaking the puck out (at least in the games I've watched). Johnson seems more like the Devils' type of player based on past Shero/Castron drafts.

I honestly see him as a late riser and someone who'll surprise folks getting picked in the late 1st. I'd be shocked if the Devils went with a big defenseman over a puck moving one, with sound defensive play in this scenario.

Your points are valid, but your estimation of Korczak is a bit low. Korczak is actually a very good outlet passer with unheralded offensive tools. Korczak's offensive abilities are more impressive than Johnson's defensive proclivities, to this point. Am I saying that Korczak is better? No. But the upsides of the two players need to be examined.

Johnson's obvious attribute is that his skating ability is absolutely elite. His entire offensive tool box, though raw in places, is impressive, to say the least. Defensively, however it's a bit different. Though his smarts and speed make him a defensively sound player, he can be beat in one-on-one battles and absolutely does not like to play physically. He's 6'0, but very lanky and not very physically strong. Though this can be improved, it is a prudent projection that he will never be a guy to clear creases or be a physical detriment to opposing forwards. So we're talking about a guy with bout 50+point upside offensively that can become an above-average, though not shut-down, defensive player.

Korczak certainly trails Johnson in the skating category -- though he is an above-average, mobile skater, he is nowhere near Johnson's elite skating. But in every other offensive category, he is right there with Johnson -- his shot is better, his passing is just as good, his puck handling is just a shade below. Defensively, Korczak has elite, shut-down potential. At 6'3-200 he's incredibly strong and physical, routinely clearing creases, winning corner battles, intimidating opposition forwards. If he can improve his positioning and gap control a bit, he can become a true shut-down beast in the NHL. So we're talking about a defensive, physical monster with 30-40 point upside.

My personal feeling is that I'd rather have a player of Korczak's upside than a player of Johnson's upside, though they are both certainly desirable assets. Add into this the fact that Korczak plays RD (the Devils biggest organizational area of need) and Johnson LD (Devils stronger there with Smith and Davies on the way). Add into this the fact that Johnson's style is similar to Butcher and Davies and the Devils have no one in the organization remotely akin to Korczak (and they desperately need them). With those factors in play, to me Korczak is an obvious and clear choice over Johnson.

Reactions: nugg and NJDevs

NJDevs

Jun 28, 2018
New Jersey
Your points are valid, but your estimation of Korczak is a bit low. Korczak is actually a very good outlet passer with unheralded offensive tools. Korczak's offensive abilities are more impressive than Johnson's defensive proclivities, to this point. Am I saying that Korczak is better? No. But the upsides of the two players need to be examined.

Johnson's obvious attribute is that his skating ability is absolutely elite. His entire offensive tool box, though raw in places, is impressive, to say the least. Defensively, however it's a bit different. Though his smarts and speed make him a defensively sound player, he can be beat in one-on-one battles and absolutely does not like to play physically. He's 6'0, but very lanky and not very physically strong. Though this can be improved, it is a prudent projection that he will never be a guy to clear creases or be a physical detriment to opposing forwards. So we're talking about a guy with bout 50+point upside offensively that can become an above-average, though not shut-down, defensive player.

Korczak certainly trails Johnson in the skating category -- though he is an above-average, mobile skater, he is nowhere near Johnson's elite skating. But in every other offensive category, he is right there with Johnson -- his shot is better, his passing is just as good, his puck handling is just a shade below. Defensively, Korczak has elite, shut-down potential. At 6'3-200 he's incredibly strong and physical, routinely clearing creases, winning corner battles, intimidating opposition forwards. If he can improve his positioning and gap control a bit, he can become a true shut-down beast in the NHL. So we're talking about a defensive, physical monster with 30-40 point upside.

My personal feeling is that I'd rather have a player of Korczak's upside than a player of Johnson's upside, though they are both certainly desirable assets. Add into this the fact that Korczak plays RD (the Devils biggest organizational area of need) and Johnson LD (Devils stronger there with Smith and Davies on the way). Add into this the fact that Johnson's style is similar to Butcher and Davies and the Devils have no one in the organization remotely akin to Korczak (and they desperately need them). With those factors in play, to me Korczak is an obvious and clear choice over Johnson.

Interesting take on Korczak's offensive side, certainly enough to convince me to spend a bit more on Neulion to watch him some more. I didn't quite see it in the handful of games I watched, but I'm intrigued now.

That said, it sounds as though your selection of Korczak in this mock was more of a "what I think the Devils should do" rather than your expectation of what they will do. Other than Bernard, this regime doesn't have much of a history of drafting, or even seeking out, physical defensemen (a mistake, in my opinion, but I won't digress). Davies, Walsh, Smith... seem to be the theme. Additionally, other than making a point to draft a goalie every year, I firmly believe Shero is a BPA guy in early rounds, assuming not all is equal. Unless Shero has recently recognized the need to add some grit in the early rounds (which I wouldn't argue one bit with if the talent comes with it), then I don't see a big defenseman being the pick at 34OA. It's funny, actually, I would've thought Kolyachonok a good balance at 34OA, but you had LAK taking him just one slot earlier. :laugh:

Setec Astronomy

Jun 15, 2012
One other not totally crazy idea is to try and trade for Dylan Samberg. Sounds kind of like he’s flirting with pulling an Adam Fox, and we do have Joey Anderson who played with him in college.

Stephen Gionta

Jun 15, 2015
East Rutherford, NJ
Great list! Your top 5 precisely mirrors mine (I've been working on my Top 62 all week). I appreciate your gutsy rankings of Harley and Seider, they both possess the talent to make you look very good 5 years down the line.

Thanks!! I've noticed from all your posts we tend to agree on almost everything when it relates to hockey. When I went on your twitter page I found out we didn't agree politically LOL. But hockey is not politics which is great! Great hockey minds think alike

TheDuke93

May 29, 2017
NJ
@StevenToddIves Are there any mid round targets you would like to see the team go after, I have high expectations for a guy like Studenic and would like to see some more guys in that mold be brought in. Guys that play bigger their size and wear the opposing team down, the ones no opposing team likes to face, and make the goal crease their office.

NJ DevLolz

The Many Saints of Newark
Sep 30, 2017
So, who do we want at pick #34? For me, I like: Hoglander, Pustiola, Dorofeyev, Suzuki, Robertson, Rees.

Reactions: Bet the Over

StevenToddIves

May 18, 2013
Brooklyn, NY
So, who do we want at pick #34? For me, I like: Hoglander, Pustiola, Dorofeyev, Suzuki, Robertson, Rees.

That's a good list. Let's narrow it down.

Suzuki is very unlikely to be available. So we can remove him, for the sake of argument.

Puistola is a one-dimensional scorer. Granted, he's very good at scoring, but I don't consider him in the same tier with the rest of those guys. I'd take him if he fell to the late 2nd round but, in my mind, there will be higher-upside guys at #34.

Dorofeyev would be a great grab there and it's possible he falls due to several teams' reticence to draft Russians who have not come over to North America. To me, he's very comparable to Filip Forsberg. But I am tempering hopes that he falls to #34, simply because several of the teams which pick in the late first round tend to target players of his ilk -- Tampa and Washington being the most obvious.

Hoglander and Robertson are very similar, both undersized LWs with dynamic offensive qualities and huge hearts/compete levels. Hoglander is a better skater and Robertson has better hands/scoring ability. You could also add Jakob Pelletier to this similar grouping, whom I have the Devils taking at #55 in my mock draft.

I would get a lot of debate among many draft writers, but I would say that Rees is the highest upside of your group. He's got true NHL 1C upside in my book -- his skating/passing are sublime, his compete level and two-way acumen are elite. He can also play nasty when provoked. The rest of the players you mentioned are LWs, except Rees and Suzuki who are true Cs.

This leads to an interesting question of why there are no D on your list. We need to consider it extremely likely that Ray Shero will be targeting a D with the #34 pick, unless a F they are absolutely in love with were to fall to that spot. After drafting Hughes, the Devils pipeline will be flush with offensively gifted centers and left wings and shallow with top-4 D possibilities, especially on the right side.

Again, it's a good list you have. I'd be very happy with any of those players at #34 except perhaps Puistola, who would only slightly disappoint me, and only because he's unlikely to be top-10 on my draft board when the #34 pick comes up.

NJ DevLolz

Sep 30, 2017
That's a good list. Let's narrow it down.

Suzuki is very unlikely to be available. So we can remove him, for the sake of argument.

Puistola is a one-dimensional scorer. Granted, he's very good at scoring, but I don't consider him in the same tier with the rest of those guys. I'd take him if he fell to the late 2nd round but, in my mind, there will be higher-upside guys at #34.

Dorofeyev would be a great grab there and it's possible he falls due to several teams' reticence to draft Russians who have not come over to North America. To me, he's very comparable to Filip Forsberg. But I am tempering hopes that he falls to #34, simply because several of the teams which pick in the late first round tend to target players of his ilk -- Tampa and Washington being the most obvious.

Hoglander and Robertson are very similar, both undersized LWs with dynamic offensive qualities and huge hearts/compete levels. Hoglander is a better skater and Robertson has better hands/scoring ability. You could also add Jakob Pelletier to this similar grouping, whom I have the Devils taking at #55 in my mock draft.

I would get a lot of debate among many draft writers, but I would say that Rees is the highest upside of your group. He's got true NHL 1C upside in my book -- his skating/passing are sublime, his compete level and two-way acumen are elite. He can also play nasty when provoked. The rest of the players you mentioned are LWs, except Rees and Suzuki who are true Cs.

This leads to an interesting question of why there are no D on your list. We need to consider it extremely likely that Ray Shero will be targeting a D with the #34 pick, unless a F they are absolutely in love with were to fall to that spot. After drafting Hughes, the Devils pipeline will be flush with offensively gifted centers and left wings and shallow with top-4 D possibilities, especially on the right side.

Again, it's a good list you have. I'd be very happy with any of those players at #34 except perhaps Puistola, who would only slightly disappoint me, and only because he's unlikely to be top-10 on my draft board when the #34 pick comes up.
In looking at the D available in that spot, how many two-way defensemen could be available. I'm not in love with a Vlasic type there because I don't love that type of player

StevenToddIves

May 18, 2013
Brooklyn, NY
In looking at the D available in that spot, how many two-way defensemen could be available. I'm not in love with a Vlasic type there because I don't love that type of player

It's tough to tell what type of player Vlasic will be, because he's so far from his ceiling.

Lassi Thomson is a name that jumps out, as is Slava Kolyachonok. Tobias Bjornfot is mostly a defensive-D, but he's an outstanding skater with some puck skills. Ryan Johnson is very good offensively and has some defensive upside.

Kaeden Korczak has better offensive ability than he has been given credit for. If Matthew Robertson somehow falls to #34, it's a no-brainer -- you take him no matter who else is on the board. I don't see that though.

If the Devils take a high-upside F at #34 it would certainly not be a bad thing. But keep in mind that all of the D I just mentioned stand a chance to be on the board at #34 but will almost inevitably be off the board when the Devils pick next at #55.

NJ DevLolz

Sep 30, 2017
It's tough to tell what type of player Vlasic will be, because he's so far from his ceiling.

Lassi Thomson is a name that jumps out, as is Slava Kolyachonok. Tobias Bjornfot is mostly a defensive-D, but he's an outstanding skater with some puck skills. Ryan Johnson is very good offensively and has some defensive upside.

Kaeden Korczak has better offensive ability than he has been given credit for. If Matthew Robertson somehow falls to #34, it's a no-brainer -- you take him no matter who else is on the board. I don't see that though.

If the Devils take a high-upside F at #34 it would certainly not be a bad thing. But keep in mind that all of the D I just mentioned stand a chance to be on the board at #34 but will almost inevitably be off the board when the Devils pick next at #55.
I liked Kolyachohok a lot at the U18s and he seems to be ranked around there. Bjornfot seems to be getting some love as a late riser. Robertson is intriguing, but again, I wonder if he will be able to move the puck in the pros. No idea about Korczak and Johnson but the same questions seem to arise looking at stats

SYWTom

Dec 10, 2016

Obviously not in the same tier, but I’m wondering your thoughts on Micheal Vukojevic? Have you seen much of him? I’m a Kitchener Ranger season ticket holder and I think he would be a solid add as a later mid-late round pick.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad