Prospect Info: 2019 Devils-Centric Final Mock Draft, 70 Picks

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheDuke93

May 29, 2017
NJ
I'm going to push back on one of @StevenToddIves mentions here and say that Blake Murray's performance concerns me. Murray's performance this season was very uninspiring. The skills are there, but man did he concern me with his compete level. He can score goals but he looked uninterested in all my viewings. It's a shame because the size and the skill upside is there but I question his on-ice effort. He went on a tear in the 2nd half of last season which put him in several individuals' top-31 lists but he quickly faded into late round contention.

Not to be a contrarian, I'll offer another late-round possibility for C: Xavier Simoneau. He's really undersized and needs to improve his skating acceleration, but his playmaking and vision are top-notch. Generally speaking, undersized players with skating issues (especially acceleration) scare me, but Simoneau's IQ and tenacity stand out to me.
Correct me if I am wrong here but, guys that have tenacity and can skate is Castron's late round mold? I love watching guys like Kruger from CHI or Smith from NSH and obviously Coleman who are just absolutely relentless and more often then not can swing entire series in your favor.

StevenToddIves

May 18, 2013
Brooklyn, NY
Correct me if I am wrong here but, guys that have tenacity and can skate is Castron's late round mold? I love watching guys like Kruger from CHI or Smith from NSH and obviously Coleman who are just absolutely relentless and more often then not can swing entire series in your favor.

Talvitie and Bratt certainly come to mind, thank the stars.

Trevor Janicke certainly fits this mold. Lots of similarities with Talvitie in my opinion, and I'd love to hear if @thethinglonger agrees. We also corresponded today about Danish LW Jonathan Brinkman, who fits into the Bratt-mold quite well as a possible 6th/7th round steal with big-time offensive upside.

thethinglonger

Castron & Crew
Dec 1, 2014
New Jersey
I'm not going to push back on @thethinglonger, ha. Instead I'm going to say that it's good when two people differ in certain opinions of certain prospects. The fact alone that there is polarity in our views of Blake Murray is further indication that you folks should do some research on him and decide for yourselves.

100%. Best part of evaluating future NHL talents is the amount of differing opinions. It just stinks that conventional CHL streams are so expensive

TheDuke93

May 29, 2017
NJ
I do not know if this is the right place for this but I would love too see you two go through the system and rank some of the prospects were they are now and how you project them going forward from when they were drafted to today. Then update the list post draft, obviously I am sure it is more work then I make it sound but would be interesting to read and I can't get enough of this stuff and both of your work which myself along with the rest of the board certainly appreciate. :popcorn:

thethinglonger

Castron & Crew
Dec 1, 2014
New Jersey
Talvitie and Bratt certainly come to mind, thank the stars.

Trevor Janicke certainly fits this mold. Lots of similarities with Talvitie in my opinion, and I'd love to hear if @thethinglonger agrees. We also corresponded today about Danish LW Jonathan Brinkman, who fits into the Bratt-mold quite well as a possible 6th/7th round steal with big-time offensive upside.

I very much like Janicke. Here's what I wrote about him after the World Junior-A Challenge:

Trevor Janicke plays a high-tempo game and excels with good skating speed and acceleration. Janicke is able to consistently create offensive scoring chances and uses his speed as the primary tool of his game. Janicke is, however, able to create such chances with his excellent passing ability and knack for finding the net with his accurate shot. Janicke has a very good compete level with or without the puck, but you can tell he much prefers to have the puck on his stick. Janicke was especially dangerous in transition, as his speed and hands help him. Janicke likes to shoot from all over the offensive zone, and has good enough offensive awareness and IQ to know when to shoot and when to pass to a teammate. The areas for improvement in Janicke’s game are mostly in defensive positioning and finding ways to contribute when he isn’t able to control the pace of play with his skating.

StevenToddIves

May 18, 2013
Brooklyn, NY
100%. Best part of evaluating future NHL talents is the amount of differing opinions. It just stinks that conventional CHL streams are so expensive

Also stinks that many people can be jerks when someone disagrees with them.

When someone I respect disagrees with my opinion, I don't attack them. I review my own notes and film to make certain my opinion was not flawed. In that sense, it improves my base of knowledge and makes me better at what I do.

StevenToddIves

May 18, 2013
Brooklyn, NY
I do not know if this is the right place for this but I would love too see you two go through the system and rank some of the prospects were they are now and how you project them going forward from when they were drafted to today. Then update the list post draft, obviously I am sure it is more work then I make it sound but would be interesting to read and I can't get enough of this stuff and both of your work which myself along with the rest of the board certainly appreciate. :popcorn:

I'm still working on completing my Top 62 rankings for 2019, which I will hopefully post this week.

I will post organizational rankings for the Devils after the draft is complete.

Thanks for the kudos!

thethinglonger

Castron & Crew
Dec 1, 2014
New Jersey
Also stinks that many people can be jerks when someone disagrees with them.

When someone I respect disagrees with my opinion, I don't attack them. I review my own notes and film to make certain my opinion was not flawed. In that sense, it improves my base of knowledge and makes me better at what I do.

For me, it's always a point of humility...am I missing some vital footage of this kid? What is this evaluator seeing that I'm not? Too many times, difference in prospect evaluations (see the main board) are attacks on one's ego. We're all rooting for the future of the league and the future of hockey in general. It's an honor to even play a small part in all of this.

TheDuke93

May 29, 2017
NJ
How do you guys view most of your games/prospects? I would very much like to be able to get a better understanding + more hockey is just always better.

Tretyak 20

Dec 4, 2003
Visit site
I'm not certain the Devils can outbid a motivated Detroit or Philadelphia, unfortunately. The Flyers could offer the #11 pick and a lower-pairing RD like Hagg, which would probably get it done. In Detroit, Yzerman is extremely clever and has the 2019 #6 pick, or three second-rounders or the 2020 first-round pick.

Personally, I would offer Vatanen, McLeod, Mueller, the Bruins second-round pick and a 2020 second-rounder and try to start negotiations there. Winnipeg would get to replace Trouba with a solid, mid-pairing D in Vatanen, get Mueller to replace Chiarot (possibly leaving as UFA), a B-level prospect with great speed and upside in McLeod, and two sorely needed high picks.

If that's really what Trouba costs, count me out.

Reactions: Bet the Over

MichaelJ

May 20, 2013
I'm not certain the Devils can outbid a motivated Detroit or Philadelphia, unfortunately. The Flyers could offer the #11 pick and a lower-pairing RD like Hagg, which would probably get it done. In Detroit, Yzerman is extremely clever and has the 2019 #6 pick, or three second-rounders or the 2020 first-round pick.

Personally, I would offer Vatanen, McLeod, Mueller, the Bruins second-round pick and a 2020 second-rounder and try to start negotiations there. Winnipeg would get to replace Trouba with a solid, mid-pairing D in Vatanen, get Mueller to replace Chiarot (possibly leaving as UFA), a B-level prospect with great speed and upside in McLeod, and two sorely needed high picks.

Devils give up that much and I’d like Roslovic coming back too.

Nubmer6

Sleep is a poor substitute for caffeine
Sponsor
Jul 14, 2013
The Village
Steven, saw this somewhere and wondered what your thoughts are to it:

LA's 2019 1st round pick (TOR)
22nd overall

FOR:

NJ's
  1. 2019 2nd round pick (NJD) 34
  2. 2019 2nd round pick (NSH) 55
I think it would depend on if there was a specific player we wanted that we thought fell and was still on the board. The trade would be a game-time decision.

New Jersey Devils

Doc & Chico Forever
Jun 20, 2007
NJ-NYC
I agree that drafting both Hughes and one of Robertson/Seider would make this draft an overwhelming coup for the Devils. But I cannot see the Kings trading down from #22 -- they already possess a quantity of picks, and thus would be foolish to add to that by downgrading the quality.

Anyone in the last 1st you could see realistically willing to trading back to get more picks?

Reactions: StevenToddIves

Dafp

May 3, 2016
UK
Anyone in the last 1st you could see realistically willing to trading back to get more picks?
The Islanders at 23? They have Calgary's in the second round (57OA) but after that nothing again until the 5th.

Nashville at 24? They don't have a second round pick. Same for Calgary at 26.

It would have to depend on who's available at the time though.

Reactions: StevenToddIves

StevenToddIves

May 18, 2013
Brooklyn, NY
The Islanders at 23? They have Calgary's in the second round (57OA) but after that nothing again until the 5th.

Nashville at 24? They don't have a second round pick. Same for Calgary at 26.

It would have to depend on who's available at the time though.

All are legit possibilities. I'd still prefer to see Shero get a late first-rounder by taking on a contract rather than by giving up other assets. Callahan's final year would be easy for the Devils to absorb, and I also like the idea of getting Corey Perry's final two years, though he's paid exorbitantly. He'd be a good net-front presence/body-guard for Jack Hughes. Taking David Backes from the Bruins might also get the Devils a good pick late in the first, and he'd give valuable leadership and toughness on the 4th line.

Setec Astronomy

Jun 15, 2012
All are legit possibilities. I'd still prefer to see Shero get a late first-rounder by taking on a contract rather than by giving up other assets. Callahan's final year would be easy for the Devils to absorb, and I also like the idea of getting Corey Perry's final two years, though he's paid exorbitantly. He'd be a good net-front presence/body-guard for Jack Hughes. Taking David Backes from the Bruins might also get the Devils a good pick late in the first, and he'd give valuable leadership and toughness on the 4th line.

Taking on Backes and Callahan and moving up from two picks at the bottom of the second round to the bottom of the first round and using your picks in 2020 as trade chips would be really interesting if Shero could pull it off, which would be a strategy of stacking up on the prospect pipeline this year and mortgaging future picks to get better immediately.

The cap space for Callahan wouldn't make a difference. And you could probably keep Backes on this year where he can play on the fourth line and then buy him out of the last year of his deal. I don't have the inclination to look at it closely, but it seems you can do that without limiting the team's ability to do what it otherwise wants to.

EDIT: It would end up with us having picks, 1, 27, 30, 34, 70, 80 and 96. That would be something.

Last edited:

StevenToddIves

May 18, 2013
Brooklyn, NY
I've already been reading out of Boston that the Bruins are going to aggressively try to unload the final two years of Backes' contract. If the Devils could get that #30 pick from Boston, Backes would be a fine addition to the fourth line and the Devils could easily absorb his contract. The addition of the #30 pick would allow the Devils to no longer be forced to choose between a high-upside player or much-needed defenseman at #34; they could get one of each.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad