Prospect Info: 2019 Devils-Centric Final Mock Draft, 70 Picks

Status
Not open for further replies.

thethinglonger

Castron & Crew
Dec 1, 2014
New Jersey
Obviously not in the same tier, but I’m wondering your thoughts on Micheal Vukojevic? Have you seen much of him? I’m a Kitchener Ranger season ticket holder and I think he would be a solid add as a later mid-late round pick.

I don't have Vukojevic ranked very highly. He is a big guy and skates well but I don't see very much offensive upside in his game. His defensive game raised a few red flags for me because while he likes to play physical, I want to see him take angles and not simply beat up on smaller, less physically developed kids. That being said, he does seem safe in the defensive zone but he has that tendency which I think would give him trouble at the higher level.

That being said, he's pretty good at gaining the zone and moves well through the neutral zone...definitely needs to improve his zone exits. He has the skating and physicality to make it as a bottom-pairing two-way guy, but every time I've viewed him, I left wanting more.

StevenToddIves

May 18, 2013
Brooklyn, NY
I liked Kolyachohok a lot at the U18s and he seems to be ranked around there. Bjornfot seems to be getting some love as a late riser. Robertson is intriguing, but again, I wonder if he will be able to move the puck in the pros. No idea about Korczak and Johnson but the same questions seem to arise looking at stats

Don't put too much stock into stats with young defensemen. Robertson is a better passer and puck handler than Philip Broberg and Victor Soderstrom, who are both being talked about by some draft writers as top 10 picks. But defensemen who play a conservative overall game are the most overlooked commodity on draft day, which is why Bjornfot is regarded as the third-best Swedish defenseman in this draft, when in my mind he could very well be the best of the three in five years.

With offensive defensemen, the stats say more of the story than with shut-down guys, and as such defensive-minded defensemen remain the greatest mid-to-late round value in the NHL draft. Jake Slavin, Brandon Carlo and Marc-Edouard Vlasic type players are routinely found later in drafts, oft-passed upon by teams throwing darts at speedy puck-rushers in the vague hope of unearthing the next Erik Karlsson.

In my mind, the 2019 draft offers one "sure bet" in terms of finding a top-pairing defenseman who will contribute great offensive numbers at the NHL level, and that's Bowen Byram. There are several other two-way D I like who have possible top-pairing upside, such as Moritz Seider, Cam York, Lassi Thomson and Slava Kolyachonok. There are several steady, not flashy D who have enough offense to offer value as a first round pick, such as Victor Soderstrom, Matthew Robertson, Ville Heinola, Kaeden Korczak and Tobias Bjornfot. There are a few wild-card D who offer huge offensive upside but a great deal of associated risk, such as Philip Broberg, Thomas Harley, Ryan Johnson and Anttoni Honka. I expect all the players mentioned in this paragraph to be gone by midway through the second round of the 2019 draft.

To me, where the value comes in is with your Slavin-type and Vlasic-type and Carlo-type defensive D, which teams need to win but not players who put up big numbers. I have focused on these players throughout my Devils draft thread posts. Case McCarthy could last through the second round. Jake Lee is one of the five most underrated players in this draft class, he could fall to the fourth. Jake Lee's floor is as a physical third-pairing guy with a hard point shot and good outlet pass, and several draft writers have him outside their top 100. We're talking about a kid who can be Jake Muzzin-plus if he ups his skating a notch and gains a bit more confidence with the puck.

How about Drew Helleson? He's a huge, right-shot D who skates extremely well, and plays with a calm and defensive steadiness which is neck and neck with Soderstrom... but for some reason he's outside the top 62 for several writers. Or one of my draft faves for 2019 Will Francis? He's a 6'4-215 RD who is as physical as any player in the draft. Does he have any offensive upside whatsoever? No, but I'll gladly spend the 6th/7th round pick it will likely require to get him for a guy who will win every corner battle and send any opponent flying who dares to take an extra whack after Mackenzie Blackwood has covered the puck.

I realize I'm throwing a bunch of names out there, but my point is that defensive-minded defensemen are value picks. So, I agree with you wholeheartedly that, if there is a top-end F available to the Devils with the #34 pick, they should take him. But man, if not? It sure would be nice to have a young Slavin or Carlo in the prospect pipeline, as well.

StevenToddIves

May 18, 2013
Brooklyn, NY
I don't have Vukojevic ranked very highly. He is a big guy and skates well but I don't see very much offensive upside in his game. His defensive game raised a few red flags for me because while he likes to play physical, I want to see him take angles and not simply beat up on smaller, less physically developed kids. That being said, he does seem safe in the defensive zone but he has that tendency which I think would give him trouble at the higher level.

That being said, he's pretty good at gaining the zone and moves well through the neutral zone...definitely needs to improve his zone exits. He has the skating and physicality to make it as a bottom-pairing two-way guy, but every time I've viewed him, I left wanting more.

I agree with your assessment of Vukojevic, except I think with coaching he can adjust to his weakness of always relying on physicality over positional acuity.

I would certainly be fine with the Devils calling Vukojevic's name on draft day, so long as it was the fifth round or later. His talent floor is Dalton Prout and his upside is Ron Hainsey, which I'm fine with regarding a late round pick, but not in the first four rounds when there will still be upside-players available.

thethinglonger

Castron & Crew
Dec 1, 2014
New Jersey
I agree with your assessment of Vukojevic, except I think with coaching he can adjust to his weakness of always relying on physicality over positional acuity.

I would certainly be fine with the Devils calling Vukojevic's name on draft day, so long as it was the fifth round or later. His talent floor is Dalton Prout and his upside is Ron Hainsey, which I'm fine with regarding a late round pick, but not in the first four rounds when there will still be upside-players available.

Completely agreed on this. I don't think we'll see him picked until at least the fifth. His hockey IQ concerns me because it seemed like he was struggling with processing the speed of the game. There's a lot of work to be done in his development, but a few minor tweaks and he would be serviceable. Doesn't quite have the upside imo of a classic Shero/Castron 6th round hail-mary pick, but he's definitely a name to keep mind of.

StevenToddIves

May 18, 2013
Brooklyn, NY
Completely agreed on this. I don't think we'll see him picked until at least the fifth. His hockey IQ concerns me because it seemed like he was struggling with processing the speed of the game. There's a lot of work to be done in his development, but a few minor tweaks and he would be serviceable. Doesn't quite have the upside imo of a classic Shero/Castron 6th round hail-mary pick, but he's definitely a name to keep mind of.

Okay, 5th or 7th round then. In the 6th round, we're taking a Danish kid who most people have not heard of who will end up on our second line by 2021.

thethinglonger

Castron & Crew
Dec 1, 2014
New Jersey
Okay, 5th or 7th round then. In the 6th round, we're taking a Danish kid who most people have not heard of who will end up on our second line by 2021.

:laugh::laugh::laugh:

There are a few candidates that come to mind...you already blew the whistle on Tieksola and Aaltonen is likely going by the 3rd, but guys like Matias Maccelli (high risk/high reward) or Aku Raty (great skating...jack of all trades/master of none) or d-men like Santeri Hatakka (great skating but inconsistent puck skills) or Kim Nousiainen (a personal favorite...undersized but excellent skating but very undersized) seem like the Finnish options.

On the Czech side of things there's overager Karel Plasek.

thethinglonger

Castron & Crew
Dec 1, 2014
New Jersey
@thethinglonger speaking of which, I was already going to ask you your feelings on Aalborg, Denmark LW Jonathan Brinkman.

High-energy winger with excellent speed. He has good offensive anticipation and I thought he had a good showing at the WJC's. In no way a perimeter player. He's slight of frame but definitely stands out as a later round sleeper. I'm glad you brought him up. I'm curious what his development path will be. I can see him playing in Denmark one more year and then coming over to the AHL...or maybe a team picks him in the CHL Import Draft.

StevenToddIves

May 18, 2013
Brooklyn, NY
High-energy winger with excellent speed. He has good offensive anticipation and I thought he had a good showing at the WJC's. In no way a perimeter player. He's slight of frame but definitely stands out as a later round sleeper. I'm glad you brought him up. I'm curious what his development path will be. I can see him playing in Denmark one more year and then coming over to the AHL...or maybe a team picks him in the CHL Import Draft.

Honestly, Brinkman's my 6th round fave for the Devils. His skating and energy level are both dynamic, he's an excellent puck handler and actually quite physical for a skinny kid who is probably between 5'10-5'11. He's fully willing to crash creases, even as a 17 year old who played against men in the Danish pro league. He puck handles and sees the ice very well. I'm going to go out on a ridiculous limb and say this kid has top 6 NHL upside. I'd love to see the Devils grab him late.

StevenToddIves

May 18, 2013
Brooklyn, NY
:laugh::laugh::laugh:

There are a few candidates that come to mind...you already blew the whistle on Tieksola and Aaltonen is likely going by the 3rd, but guys like Matias Maccelli (high risk/high reward) or Aku Raty (great skating...jack of all trades/master of none) or d-men like Santeri Hatakka (great skating but inconsistent puck skills) or Kim Nousiainen (a personal favorite...undersized but excellent skating but very undersized) seem like the Finnish options.

On the Czech side of things there's overager Karel Plasek.

Man, can Plasek skate. I've heard some people who love Macelli and some who don't even give him a chance, it's an interesting polarity there.

I'll throw out two more names for the Devils-draft Finnish guru and then leave it alone.

Aarne Intonen
Konsta Hirvonen

It just so happens they slant-rhyme.

StevenToddIves

May 18, 2013
Brooklyn, NY
@thethinglonger @StevenToddIves I do not know if you two will agree but watching Zegras his skating and the way he hold the puck reminds me of Mittelstadt so much, who I think is going to be a stud.

Zegras is tough to compare because he's such a unique player. He routinely completes passes that even elite NHL passers would not even dream of making. He's unbelievably smart and creative and he actually compliments these qualities with a solid all-around game. He's incredibly versatile; this year he played all three F slots with a multitude of line mates on three different lines. You just plug Zegras in, anywhere or anytime, and he dictates play and looks amazing. I have him at #5 in a draft with an incredibly strong top 4 ahead of him.

TheDuke93

May 29, 2017
NJ
Zegras is tough to compare because he's such a unique player. He routinely completes passes that even elite NHL passers would not even dream of making. He's unbelievably smart and creative and he actually compliments these qualities with a solid all-around game. He's incredibly versatile; this year he played all three F slots with a multitude of line mates on three different lines. You just plug Zegras in, anywhere or anytime, and he dictates play and looks amazing. I have him at #5 in a draft with an incredibly strong top 4 ahead of him.
Since the Nico/Nolan draft was considered "weak" were would you put the next tier of Turcotte/Byram and then Zegras?

thethinglonger

Castron & Crew
Dec 1, 2014
New Jersey
Man, can Plasek skate. I've heard some people who love Macelli and some who don't even give him a chance, it's an interesting polarity there.

I'll throw out two more names for the Devils-draft Finnish guru and then leave it alone.

Aarne Intonen
Konsta Hirvonen

It just so happens they slant-rhyme.

Intonen is definitely an interesting name because he's been under the radar for Finland's U18 team. Funny enough there was a pretty big discrepancy between Intonen's international and league play. I'd like to see him improve his skating and acceleration, but his puck skills and vision are all promising.

Hirvonen is another interesting name because of his defensive acumen and how he was relied upon for huge minutes during the regular season. He kinda reminds me of Sharangovich in the sense that his defensive and counter-attack game is very good (his defensive game is quite good), but he has room to improve in his offensive game.

StevenToddIves

May 18, 2013
Brooklyn, NY
Since the Nico/Nolan draft was considered "weak" were would you put the next tier of Turcotte/Byram and then Zegras?

Well, it's tough, because if the draft were held today the #1 pick would be a debate of Nico/Pettersson/Heiskanen with Patrick out of the picture. But in hindsight using the context of how the players were considered on the day of the draft?

1 Hughes
2 Kakko
3 Byram
4 Turcotte
5 Hischier
6 Patrick
7 Heiskanen
8 Zegras

Reactions: TheDuke93

TheDuke93

May 29, 2017
NJ
Well, it's tough, because if the draft were held today the #1 pick would be a debate of Nico/Pettersson/Heiskanen with Patrick out of the picture. But in hindsight using the context of how the players were considered on the day of the draft?

1 Hughes
2 Kakko
3 Byram
4 Turcotte
5 Hischier
6 Patrick
7 Heiskanen
8 Zegras
I know you are very high on both Byram and Turcotte but you really believe both are better prospects then Nico/Nolan at the time of the draft? Do you think this is because of better player development across all of the leagues or is this more so an anomaly?

thethinglonger

Castron & Crew
Dec 1, 2014
New Jersey
One name that should be mentioned is defenseman, Ben Brinkman, for the University of Minnesota. Brinkman started the season in many people's top-31 rankings. He fell off from lack of offensive production for the most part. That being said, he's still big, strong, and mobile. He didn't get any powerplay time and with the influx of talented offensive d-men to Minnesota (like Jackson LaCombe), Brinkman could still remain in that shutdown role. However he should be available in the later rounds and has very good upside in my opinion. Brinkman was one of Minnesota's best players in the second half of the season and shouldn't be overlooked just because of his lack of production.

TheDuke93

May 29, 2017
NJ
One name that should be mentioned is defenseman, Ben Brinkman, for the University of Minnesota. Brinkman started the season in many people's top-31 rankings. He fell off from lack of offensive production for the most part. That being said, he's still big, strong, and mobile. He didn't get any powerplay time and with the influx of talented offensive d-men to Minnesota (like Jackson LaCombe), Brinkman could still remain in that shutdown role. However he should be available in the later rounds and has very good upside in my opinion. Brinkman was one of Minnesota's best players in the second half of the season and shouldn't be overlooked just because of his lack of production.
I know that +/- is not a great stat but I do think its speaks volumes to the kids defensive game that he had only 7p and still lead his team at +11.

Reactions: thethinglonger

TheDuke93

May 29, 2017
NJ
I read this from an article published a few days ago, who knows if its true but just some food for thought.
“From what I’m told, the Blackhawks are leaning toward drafting a center. It seems like Alex Turcotte would be the guy,” Zawaski said on the Madhouse Chicago Hockey Podcast (the report starts at 14:20). “I’m told Mark Kelley, the Hawks’ director of amateur scouting, is a big fan of the USA players. I won’t say not fond of the Canadian players, but leans toward American-born players. So if you’re putting the puzzle pieces together Alex Turcotte does seem to be ... he fits that mold. He fills in that gap for you.”

Reactions: StevenToddIves

StevenToddIves

May 18, 2013
Brooklyn, NY
I know you are very high on both Byram and Turcotte but you really believe both are better prospects then Nico/Nolan at the time of the draft? Do you think this is because of better player development across all of the leagues or is this more so an anomaly?

Byram/Turcotte/Nico would all be very close. It's a hair between them, they are all going to be superstars, in my mind.

Reactions: TheDuke93

TheDuke93

May 29, 2017
NJ
Are there any O'Reilly's or Bergeron's hidden in the second round of this draft? Obviously its impossible to say for sure or else they would go in the first round, but there always seems to be one or two guys every draft that go in the second and are just near perfect players.

StevenToddIves

May 18, 2013
Brooklyn, NY
Are there any O'Reilly's or Bergeron's hidden in the second round of this draft? Obviously its impossible to say for sure or else they would go in the first round, but there always seems to be one or two guys every draft that go in the second and are just near perfect players.

John Beecher could fall to the second round, and if he did he would be an amazing pick for the Devils. Could make it in the NHL as a power LW or a imposing two-way C in the mold of a young Ryan Kesler -- only Beecher also adds elite speed to his incredible strength and physicality. Plus, he is buddies with Jack Hughes.

Other two-way centers with big upside and second-round likelihood are Jamieson Rees and Connor McMichael. Yegor Spiridonov could be that type of player, but I wish I had more opportunity to see him and thus get a better read on his offensive potential.

A couple of two-way Cs I love for even later rounds (3rd through 5th) are Blake Murray and Trevor Janicke. Both very hard competitors with high hockey IQs and intriguing skill-sets.

TheDuke93

May 29, 2017
NJ
John Beecher could fall to the second round, and if he did he would be an amazing pick for the Devils. Could make it in the NHL as a power LW or a imposing two-way C in the mold of a young Ryan Kesler -- only Beecher also adds elite speed to his incredible strength and physicality. Plus, he is buddies with Jack Hughes.

Other two-way centers with big upside and second-round likelihood are Jamieson Rees and Connor McMichael. Yegor Spiridonov could be that type of player, but I wish I had more opportunity to see him and thus get a better read on his offensive potential.

A couple of two-way Cs I love for even later rounds (3rd through 5th) are Blake Murray and Trevor Janicke. Both very hard competitors with high hockey IQs and intriguing skill-sets.
I have Beecher as my hopefully slide the same way most of us hoped Smith fell last year. You can never have enough guys that frankly just suck to play against.

Reactions: StevenToddIves

thethinglonger

Castron & Crew
Dec 1, 2014
New Jersey
I'm going to push back on one of @StevenToddIves mentions here and say that Blake Murray's performance concerns me. Murray's performance this season was very uninspiring. The skills are there, but man did he concern me with his compete level. He can score goals but he looked uninterested in all my viewings. It's a shame because the size and the skill upside is there but I question his on-ice effort. He went on a tear in the 2nd half of last season which put him in several individuals' top-31 lists but he quickly faded into late round contention.

Not to be a contrarian, I'll offer another late-round possibility for C: Xavier Simoneau. He's really undersized and needs to improve his skating acceleration, but his playmaking and vision are top-notch. Generally speaking, undersized players with skating issues (especially acceleration) scare me, but Simoneau's IQ and tenacity stand out to me.

StevenToddIves

May 18, 2013
Brooklyn, NY
I'm going to push back on one of @StevenToddIves mentions here and say that Blake Murray's performance concerns me. Murray's performance this season was very uninspiring. The skills are there, but man did he concern me with his compete level. He can score goals but he looked uninterested in all my viewings. It's a shame because the size and the skill upside is there but I question his on-ice effort. He went on a tear in the 2nd half of last season which put him in several individuals' top-31 lists but he quickly faded into late round contention.

Not to be a contrarian, I'll offer another late-round possibility for C: Xavier Simoneau. He's really undersized and needs to improve his skating acceleration, but his playmaking and vision are top-notch. Generally speaking, undersized players with skating issues (especially acceleration) scare me, but Simoneau's IQ and tenacity stand out to me.

I'm not going to push back on @thethinglonger, ha. Instead I'm going to say that it's good when two people differ in certain opinions of certain prospects. The fact alone that there is polarity in our views of Blake Murray is further indication that you folks should do some research on him and decide for yourselves.

Reactions: thethinglonger
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad