2019 Dallas Stars Off-Season Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

ZeHockeyFan

Apr 9, 2014
If there is a good RHD option we should be all over it.
If there is a good RHD option we should be all over it.

I think Stralman would be a good pickup, if we can get right money and term. Don't think we really need to give up a 1st for that. I'd likely be using that 1st for a 2nd line scoring winger and drop Dickinson on the 3rd line and Cogliano on the 4th.

serp

Jan 17, 2016
I mean it helped Polak that he got to play with defenseman on a pairing who are much better than him that could compensate for his weaknesses . In Toronto and with the Sharks Polak was playing third pairing with another players who are bad with the puck and slow. Yeah well that had to result in a disaster.

Satan

MIGHTY
Apr 13, 2010
Lapland
Interesting to hear Polak mention that not many people were buying into Monty's system early in the season. That's quite a candid statement.

Kcb12345

Jun 6, 2017
Interesting to hear Polak mention that not many people were buying into Monty's system early in the season. That's quite a candid statement.

I noticed that too. Then the "guys finally started listening" or however he put it makes it sound even worse

Satan

MIGHTY
Apr 13, 2010
Lapland
Monty was asked about Honka's role going forward. It kind of seemed like he didn't want to throw Honka under the bus but he mentioned that he expects Honka to have a bigger role next year. Weird?

Reactions: gentleman scholar
Sep 20, 2013
In The Crease
Huh, sounds like Polak is open to staying in the NHL for another year if he gets a contract. Wouldn't mind him as a 7th, but lets try to find someone else for #4 this time around...

AveryStar4Eva

Aug 28, 2014
I wouldn’t mind keeping him as our Stephen Johns insurance plan. If Johns comes back healthy he can take that final spot, Polak can be our 7th defenceman.

ZeHockeyFan

Apr 9, 2014
I noticed that too. Then the "guys finally started listening" or however he put it makes it sound even worse

Nah. I think that the whole trial and tribulation of buying into a new coach's system is quite normal. Let's not forget that Monty was a collegiate coach with not even an AHL experience to his resume. There would have been a time when he'd have had to "prove his worth," so to speak.

Now that it's all done with, time to move on.

serp

Jan 17, 2016
At this point if Johns comes back at all we have no idea how his play would even look. Would it even be what he was his 3 years with the Stars ? He was a good skater who played physical and had a decent shot. How much of that would be left ? Nobody knows and can know until he hits the ice again.

What exactly is a "healthy" Johns at this point ? Thats the big question.

He would easily play above Oleksiak and Polak is he actually was fully healthy. He was much better skater than Polak and used his body much more than Oleksiak did . That fully healthy thing though i'm not holding my breath for that.

Last edited:

Smelling Salt

Busey is life
Mar 8, 2006
Winnipeg
Precautionary reasons? How healthy he is going to show up at training camp will be key.

Yeah even him coming back healthy is why I put it in quotes. Who knows how healthy that really is. There is the physical aspect and it probably f***s with you mentally as well. It's like coming back from a bad shoulder injury and not wanting to go into the corners, except it's your head/brain.

Magic Mittens

Nov 2, 2006
Calgary
Nill needs to acquire a D for Heiskanen and then if John's comes back he can play with Oleksaik. If John's is able to play again and his play is similar to what we last saw then that would give us a solid 3rd pairing

Stralman would make a good partner for Miro, and I'd assume Stralman has a good relationship with Bowness, so that could definitely help with him coming here

Resign Zucc to 4-5 year deal
Sign Stralman

Benn - Seguin - Rads
Dick - Hintz - Zucc
Cogs - Faksa - Comeau
Janmark - Les - Pitlick
Nuke

Maybe sign another top nine scoring forward, or wait to see if Gury or another young forward can come out of camp earning a spot

Frozen Failure

They got business in my hockey, and I hate it.
Nov 13, 2007
DFW
I'd let the kids try to fill that top 9 scoring forward spot, 100%. Between Robertson, Felhaber, Tufte, Gurianov and Dellandrea, one of them should be able to hack it in the NHL... Training camp will be the big show for them. Outside shots for Mascherin or Caamano.

I like the idea of Stralman, and I am amazed that he's carved out such a solid career.

Reactions: Smelling Salt

Troy McClure

Suter will never be scratched
Mar 12, 2002
South of Heaven
I'd let the kids try to fill that top 9 scoring forward spot, 100%. Between Robertson, Felhaber, Tufte, Gurianov and Dellandrea, one of them should be able to hack it in the NHL... Training camp will be the big show for them. Outside shots for Mascherin or Caamano.
Agreed. I don't like the idea of returning with six of the 13 forward spots being dedicated to Faksa, Cogliano, Comeau, Janmark, Pitlick, and Nichushkin. You can't have 46% of your forward group be guys who can't score at all and who aren't even a threat to score. Changes are needed down the lineup. Let Ritchie and Janmark walk as RFAs. Buy out Nichushkin. Free up some roster spots for new blood. Even if the new blood doesn't score, at least Nill will have tried something new instead of bringing guys back who can't get the job done.

serp

Jan 17, 2016
Stralman might get some big money thrown at him by some team really desperate for help on the right side. Luckily the Leafs can't do that even through they really need some RHD's that don't suck. Just have no money. Maybe i'm wrong but i can see some teams give Stralman 4-5 years and thats would be an absolute no go for me. 3 years is the absolute max i'd give him and i'd really hate the third year in a deal.

Last edited:

ZeHockeyFan

Apr 9, 2014
Nill needs to acquire a D for Heiskanen and then if John's comes back he can play with Oleksaik. If John's is able to play again and his play is similar to what we last saw then that would give us a solid 3rd pairing

Stralman would make a good partner for Miro, and I'd assume Stralman has a good relationship with Bowness, so that could definitely help with him coming here

Resign Zucc to 4-5 year deal
Sign Stralman

Benn - Seguin - Rads
Dick - Hintz - Zucc
Cogs - Faksa - Comeau
Janmark - Les - Pitlick
Nuke

Maybe sign another top nine scoring forward, or wait to see if Gury or another young forward can come out of camp earning a spot

Those in bold need to be bumped down the order.

Dickinson looks more like a 3rd line scoring threat to me, unless proven otherwise ...but I'd rather not wait until it's late in the season to figure that out. We really need an established 2nd line winger the wing for the second line. Get that player via trade or UFA.

Cogliano simply has no offense of which to speak. He can fly around all he wants on the 4th line. Unfortunately, no one will take that contract so he's here to stay.

The guy whom is underlined can f*** off back to Russia.

Magic Mittens

Nov 2, 2006
Calgary
Those in bold need to be bumped down the order.

Dickinson looks more like a 3rd line scoring threat to me, unless proven otherwise ...but I'd rather not wait until it's late in the season to figure that out. We really need an established 2nd line winger the wing for the second line. Get that player via trade or UFA.

Cogliano simply has no offense of which to speak. He can fly around all he wants on the 4th line. Unfortunately, no one will take that contract so he's here to stay.

The guy whom is underlined can **** off back to Russia.

Yeah I agree on Dickinson. Not sure who we can find for a top six winger. Dont really want to sign both Nyquist and Zucc to 4-5 year deals. There is Lee, but I doubt he leaves the Isles. Skinner, Panarin, Duchene will cost to much. Dont really care for Ferland or Mojo. Maybe Nill can work a trade for one

Tampa might need to move Miller for cap relief, but not sure hes the right fit.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad