OT: 2019 Blue Bomber (10-6) Regular Season Thread - Oct 19 @ Calgary (10-5)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Heldig

Apr 12, 2002
BC
BC's Oline is terrible. Poor Reilly is getting creamed almost every other play.

Holden Caulfield

Eternal Skeptic
Feb 15, 2006
Winnipeg
BC's Oline is terrible. Poor Reilly is getting creamed almost every other play.

EDM's O-Line was horrible almost every year he was there too. Seems to have improved with Harris. With the same personnel.

A big part of Reilly's problem is that he makes his O-Line look bad. While he has a great arm in terms of strength and accuracy, his release is slow and he notoriously LOVES deep shots. His style of play puts ALOT of strain on an O-Line, making them look alot worse than they are.

Last edited:
Reactions: jetsforever

Trinity

Dec 12, 2017
EDM's O-Line was horrible almost every year he was there too. Seems to have no improved with Harris. With the same personnel.

A big part of Reilly's problem is that he makes his O-Line look bad. While he has a great arm in terms of strength and accuracy, his release is slow and he notoriously LOVES deep shots. His style of play puts ALOT of strain on an O-Line, making them look alot worse than they are.
Obviously two very different QBs, but the same occurred with Drew Willy in Winnipeg. He held onto the ball way too long making the OL look worse than it really was.

Holden Caulfield

Eternal Skeptic
Feb 15, 2006
Winnipeg
Perfect bomb by Sask, guy didn't break stride and took it all the way.

They are abusing a VERY weak Argos LB corps. I mean Ian Wild is starting for them. He is a great guy and was a great LB...5 years ago. Has been strictly a special teamer last two years when not on IR.

The DB's don't seem much better in Toronto. Nor the D-Line. It's just an awful defense.

blueandgoldguy

Oct 8, 2010
Greg's River Heights
What an awful team Popp has assembled. He won the Grey Cup in 2017 off the back of the previous GM's work. It's apparent from his latter days in Montreal and his time with the Argos he no longer has the capabilities of assembling a good team. Time to hit the road.

JetsCameHome

Sep 19, 2011
Until we have a better QB we are in for some trouble. This is a great team with a very average QB at the helm.

Holden Caulfield

Eternal Skeptic
Feb 15, 2006
Winnipeg
Until we have a better QB we are in for some trouble. This is a great team with a very average QB at the helm.

Marcus Crandell and his 8-10 Stamps beat one of the most dominant CFL all-time. You don't necessarily need a dominant QB to win.

We'll see. If this continues from last game I don't think O'Shea will hesitate to make a change. He didn't last time a QB change was needed.

AKAChip

Nov 19, 2013
Winnipeg
Marcus Crandell and his 8-10 Stamps beat one of the most dominant CFL all-time. You don't necessarily need a dominant QB to win.

We'll see. If this continues from last game I don't think O'Shea will hesitate to make a change. He didn't last time a QB change was needed.
A QB change was badly needed for much of the second half of last season and save for an absolutely rock bottom Banjo Bowl performance, he was extremely reluctant to make a change. This team is extremely good at every position except for QB but Nichols is no ordinary mediocre QB. He can and will absolutely lose this team games.

Last edited:
Reactions: Mbraunm

Holden Caulfield

Eternal Skeptic
Feb 15, 2006
Winnipeg
z

A QB change was badly needed for much of the second half of last season and save for an absolutely rock bottom Banjo Bowl performance, he was extremely reluctant to make a change. This team is extremely good at every position except for QB but Nichols is no ordinary mediocre QB. He can and will absolutely lose this team games.

Disagree on that he is no ordinary mediocre QB. He is exactly the mediocre QB. He will play great and pretty much win some games, he will be awful and lose some games. Definition of a mediocre QB.

Last time they really needed the QB change was the 2016 season where we started 1-4 and headed to Edmonton to one of the best teams in the league on the road with basically the season in the balance. The change from Willy to Nichols saved that season despite being really unpopular and surprising. O'Shea showed there he will go with guy he think can win games, despite the fan pressure.

I have no doubt O'Shea considered a QB change last year after the Banjo Bowl but all he had was a raw rookie in Streveler who was 1-2 as a starter and Nichols went 18 for 25 for 256 with a TD and 72% for 1382 (4146 yard pace) yards and 8 TDS v 1 INT in the next 6 games.

This year is a different situation. For one, Streveler has more experience now. Many feel he is ready to start to take over. He will get his looks and many look at him as the next solid/good/great CFL QB. Also O'Shea is under even more pressure to win. Anything less than a Grey Cup this year might cost him his job. This year is the year.

AKAChip

Nov 19, 2013
Winnipeg
Disagree on that he is no ordinary mediocre QB. He is exactly the mediocre QB. He will play great and pretty much win some games, he will be awful and lose some games. Definition of a mediocre QB.

Last time they really needed the QB change was the 2016 season where we started 1-4 and headed to Edmonton to one of the best teams in the league on the road with basically the season in the balance. The change from Willy to Nichols saved that season despite being really unpopular and surprising. O'Shea showed there he will go with guy he think can win games, despite the fan pressure.

I have no doubt O'Shea considered a QB change last year after the Banjo Bowl but all he had was a raw rookie in Streveler who was 1-2 as a starter and Nichols went 18 for 25 for 256 with a TD and 72% for 1382 (4146 yard pace) yards and 8 TDS v 1 INT in the next 6 games.

This year is a different situation. For one, Streveler has more experience now. Many feel he is ready to start to take over. He will get his looks and many look at him as the next solid/good/great CFL QB. Also O'Shea is under even more pressure to win. Anything less than a Grey Cup this year might cost him his job. This year is the year.
I agree with everything you say beyond the fact that Nichols is capable of winning you a game himself. I suppose the argument could be made that with this roster he hasn’t had to do that very often but he hasn’t had more than two good games in a season since his one great 2017 season. Even competent QBing would have won the Bombers the WF last season. He is capable of playing well enough for your team to win but to do it himself? It’s not going to happen.

Mbraunm

Oct 19, 2016
I agree with everything you say beyond the fact that Nichols is capable of winning you a game himself. I suppose the argument could be made that with this roster he hasn’t had to do that very often but he hasn’t had more than two good games in a season since his one great 2017 season. Even competent QBing would have won the Bombers the WF last season. He is capable of playing well enough for your team to win but to do it himself? It’s not going to happen.

Agreed. Nichols is not capable of winning a game if Harris or the defense falters. We cannot win a GC with Nichols as QB.

AKAChip

Nov 19, 2013
Winnipeg
Agreed. Nichols is not capable of winning a game if Harris or the defense falters. We cannot win a GC with Nichols as QB.
It’s certainly possible, but literally everything else has to go perfectly. Even then, he can still blow it.

GNP

Here Comes the Jets -look out hockey world !!!
Oct 11, 2016
Winnipeg
Just watching the Saskatchewan vs Toronto game, and the Sask QB --Fijardo I believe his name is looks really good. He is very accurate, and also very fast running if the pressure is coming down on him.

Apparently he's had 2 ...300 yard games in a row now. I'm impressed with what I see from this guy.

Holden Caulfield

Eternal Skeptic
Feb 15, 2006
Winnipeg
Just watching the Saskatchewan vs Toronto game, and the Sask QB --Fijardo I believe his name is looks really good. He is very accurate, and also very fast running if the pressure is coming down on him.

Apparently he's had 2 ...300 yard games in a row now. I'm impressed with what I see from this guy.

Journeyman nobody who right is benefitting from the worst D I have seen in CFL. Worse teams overall sure but Toronto's D is horrendous at best. Last week was one of those early season shootouts where D have no scouting. Fajardo is unlikely to keep going, IMO. He likes to lob balls in. A good D is going to pick 6 him all night.

GNP

Oct 11, 2016
Winnipeg
Journeyman nobody who right is benefitting from the worst D I have seen in CFL. Worse teams overall sure but Toronto's D is horrendous at best. Last week was one of those early season shootouts where D have no scouting. Fajardo is unlikely to keep going, IMO. He likes to lob balls in. A good D is going to pick 6 him all night.

You could be right, and I've never heard of him. I thought Sask had found a great young QB. He does look good but this Toronto team is very bad. We'll see how he does. I think he's passed for over 400 yards tonight. Impressive so far.

Holden Caulfield

Eternal Skeptic
Feb 15, 2006
Winnipeg

You could be right, and I've never heard of him. I thought Sask had found a great young QB. He does look good but this Toronto team is very bad. We'll see how he does. I think he's passed for over 400 yards tonight. Impressive so far.

He's bounced around. Was a #3 in Toronto for a couple of years, was a #2/3 in BC for a year or two, signed with Sask this year and wasn't expected to make the roster. Apparently had a great camp and claimed the #2 spot. Now has looked good so far early on stepping in for Sask, but remember was pulled in his first game for a guy straight out of college against a good D in Hamilton. Now that was as a backup with no reps all week as a starter so it was different so that makes a difference. Did do well against what was supposed to be a good D in OTT but looks a little soft to me. And OTT was working with little to no gametape on Fajardo. Now the Argo's D is just pathetic. We'll see. They have CGY, BC, BC coming up but the verdict is still out on those teams. Hamilton in Week 8 will be a certainly a challenge for him.

Lots of CFL QB's bounce around and finally break out at his age (27) so it's possible he is the real deal. But personally watching this game I think he lobs the ball quite a bit. I think good D's are going to sit on that pick 6 him to death. I could be wrong though, no doubt.

AKAChip

Nov 19, 2013
Winnipeg
It takes a truly horrendous defence to make Fajardo look good. The guy can hardly throw 20 yards. He’s abysmal.

Trinity

Dec 12, 2017
Streveler doesn't have the arm to be a long term starting QB in the CFL. If you don't like Nichols arm I don't understand why you'd want Streveler as the starter. Sure he can run but that's about it. Nichols is the much better passer.

Reactions: GNP

snowkiddin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 26, 2016

IIRC most of the fans had given up on Willy in 2016 and wanted Nichols in. I remember arguing with you on here that Nichols should be starting whilst you wanted to stick with Willy. Good times :laugh:

GNP

Oct 11, 2016
Winnipeg
He's bounced around. Was a #3 in Toronto for a couple of years, was a #2/3 in BC for a year or two, signed with Sask this year and wasn't expected to make the roster. Apparently had a great camp and claimed the #2 spot. Now has looked good so far early on stepping in for Sask, but remember was pulled in his first game for a guy straight out of college against a good D in Hamilton. Now that was as a backup with no reps all week as a starter so it was different so that makes a difference. Did do well against what was supposed to be a good D in OTT but looks a little soft to me. And OTT was working with little to no gametape on Fajardo. Now the Argo's D is just pathetic. We'll see. They have CGY, BC, BC coming up but the verdict is still out on those teams. Hamilton in Week 8 will be a certainly a challenge for him.

This Fajardo guy just may prove you wrong. He has bounced around a bit, was really playing as a backup, and short yardage QB in Toronto and BC. He never really had the chance. He also did play for the Oakland Raiders( NFL) but was released. Probably wasn't given the chance, as I believe he was undrafted, so he probably wasn't given much of a chance. I believe Tom Brady was also undrafted or taken in the very late rounds.

He is the only QB in NCAA history to pass for 9,000 yards, and rush for 3,000 yards. He holds this record with Kolin Kapernick, so he's not to shabby. This was at the University of Nevada, where they both played.

I've only just watched him tonight, but he completed the longest pass in Rider history since 2002. He also passed for more than 400 yards. He threw some real bullets into very tight coverage with defenders all over the receivers. The guy can also run pretty good, and get away from the rush.

I know it's a bit to early to tell, but it's 3 games in a row with over 300 yards passing, so we'll see how he does. All I can say, is from what I saw tonight, I'd take him over Zach Collaros anyday, if he plays like that all the time.

Also on that long pass he threw, it wasn't a looper --it was more of a hard dart, and hit the guy in full stride. He reminded me of Ron Lancaster, the way he could scramble, if you ever saw Lancaster play. He was really good.

I would certainly reserve judgement on this guy Holden, as he could turn out to be a great QB in the CFL. He really looked great out there tonight, even though it was against the Argos -- but it doesn't matter, his passes were right on the money. As you say, we'll see how he does against some tough defences, and their next game is Calgary, so it will be interesting, but if he throws like he did against the Argos tonight, he'll do just fine. By the way the coach of Calgary -Dave Dickenson, has a brother that's the coach of Saskatchewan in Greg Dickenson.

We'll see how he works out --I'd say he'll be the Sask starter this year, and really turn some heads, unless he had a real lucky game, but he had good stats at the University of Nevada. He could be for real --we shall see. My gut feel is he's going to be a good one, but it's a little early in the game right now to make that call.

He sure did look impressive tonight - look out.

Holden Caulfield

Eternal Skeptic
Feb 15, 2006
Winnipeg
Argos are the worst team ive seen in years. Every one will destroy them.

They are better this year still than the Al's. Both teams are garbage but I still take Argos right now. I think former Bombers reserve list McLeod-Bethel Thompson is better off for Atgos though. It is looking like BC and Sask will compete for that crossover spot.

Holden Caulfield

Eternal Skeptic
Feb 15, 2006
Winnipeg

Hey I'm not gonna sit here and say I'm perfect by ANY means. It could be that Fajardo is a player. We just have to look at some Bombers QB's to see discarded QB's finding success (McManus started in WPG, found success in HAM, Jones discarded in BC finding success in WPG). It always possible.

But I am FAR from proclaiming this guy has a real future in the CFL. He is a career journeyman that has never been deemed worth a real shot. Might he actually be a great QB? Sure. Is it more likely he has benefited from OTT having no tape and TOR having a historically ineort D? Sure. It will take a longer look to decide where he lies.

From my admittedly mediocre eye test, I think he likes to lob the ball up to much. I think a more talented D takes a bunch of those to the hours. We'll see how it goes going forward but I'm far from sold on Fajardo just yet.

nobody imp0rtant

Registered pessimist
May 23, 2018

I think Holden has a split personality. :laugh:

Edit: And this would make much more sense if the board had actually included @GNP's quote within a quote reply. :banghead:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $36,790.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Cagliari vs Lecce