OT: 2019 Blue Bomber (10-6) Regular Season Thread - Oct 19 @ Calgary (10-5)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trinity

Dec 12, 2017
Nichols was fine 2 years ago, awful last year and I don't think he is fine right now, but maybe you are willing to give more of a grace period than I am.
Yes I am especially since he looked really good last week and so-so last night. I'd prefer not making a judgement after 2 games, especially when he looked great in week one.

Reactions: GNP

nobody imp0rtant

Registered pessimist
May 23, 2018
And I think I offended a few parents with children sitting near me with my language after Harris fumbled the ball for the second time in the game with a minute to go. If any of you parents who sit near me are reading this, I sincerely apologize! :oops:

I think it's important to help children build their vocabularies. I don't just tell kids to get off my lawn, I tell them to get the f*** off my lawn. :nod:

GNP

Here Comes the Jets -look out hockey world !!!
Oct 11, 2016
Winnipeg
I think Nichols is good enough to win the Cup with, but the Bombers will have to change their offensive strategy. Nichols may not be the best quarterback in the CFL, but I'd say in top 4.

Relying on Harris, time after time, who also fumbles a lot, is not the answer. Harris is good, but the Bombers have to open up the playbook. Use that passing game -- Nichols is quite accurate. Once the linebackers drop off to cover --then run the ball with Harris. ( mix it up)

If the Bombers run 10 plays in a row that are 1st and 10 --they run it 7 out of 10 times, and the other teams know it. It's no way to win. Open up the playbook Lapo, we have great talent in the pass receiver positions, so use it. Become unpredictable !!!

Last edited:

JetsWillFly4Ever

PLAY EHLERS 20 MIN A NIGHT
May 21, 2011
Winnipeg MB.
Yes I am especially since he looked really good last week and so-so last night. I'd prefer not making a judgement after 2 games, especially when he looked great in week one.
He was awful, not so-so. He made one good pass that got him 75 yards, and one where Whitehead just beat everyone by himself for 41.

Other than that he was 11-19 for 84 yards. That is f***ing horrendous.

He was also awful almost the entirety of last season so it's not judging off of 2 games.

TS Quint

I can see!
Sep 8, 2012
We know what we have in Nichols, the 4/5th best QB in the CFL. There is no wait and see, by now we know what he is. He’s frightened to throw the ball every year for 4 games, he has 4 great games and the rest of the season he manages the game.

He has a lot of weapons and a good Coordinator to help him. He made good use of Whitehead yesterday. But he didn’t make plays to the rest of his receivers. 1 (?) throw to Adams and 2 catches for Matthews isn’t good enough. And the 4th quarter it looked like he had zero confidence in his accuracy, instead of just throwing the ball it looked like he was directing the ball.

TS Quint

I can see!
Sep 8, 2012

Good post Trinity and I totally agree with you. Your best defense is a good strong offense, and not sinking back into a defensive shell. As you state some questionable calls made there by Lapo ?

In the CFL with the big wide field, it's very easy to pile up points quickly if your behind. The defense can only cover so well, but you have to keep your offense rolling and in sync -- I agree with you.
Are LaPo and Maurice the same person?!?! :huh:

TS Quint

I can see!
Sep 8, 2012
I can't wait until our "bend-don't-break" defence turns into "we're giving up 5 touchdowns a game, how could this have ever happened!?" Poor zone coverage, poor tackling - they should be much better than this. Richie Hall has got to go.

Andrew Harris looked below-average for the first time in forever. Hope he bounces back.

Matt Nichols looks like 2018 Matt Nichols. 2 seconds elapse and he's panicking in the pocket. Basically has no composure and can't extend plays even though we have receivers like Matthews, Whitehead, Demski, and Adams that are either bigger or quicker than their coverage but no time for the play to develop. LaPolice doesn't help with some of his play calls either.

We are lucky to have Lucky and Edmonton dropping 5 balls and having Maas as their head coach. He might be worse then O'Shea which is a challenge in and of itself.
Hall can take Fenner and Alexander with him.

Trinity

Dec 12, 2017
He was awful, not so-so. He made one good pass that got him 75 yards, and one where Whitehead just beat everyone by himself for 41.

Other than that he was 11-19 for 84 yards. That is ****ing horrendous.

He was also awful almost the entirety of last season so it's not judging off of 2 games.
While he never admitted it, it was pretty obvious Nichols was playing injured last season.

And you can't just remove the 75 yard pass to Lucky. Nichols made the pass and it was a beautiful play, thanks to Nichols. You can't just remove numbers like that; the pass and play happened. Based on your logic, let's remove all of his completions from last night and then we can say Nichols went 0-8 for zero yards. That's just stupid reasoning on your part.

Nichols had some great plays and also some pretty bad last night; so-so.

Reactions: Oilpeg and Andy6

JetsWillFly4Ever

May 21, 2011
Winnipeg MB.
While he never admitted it, it was pretty obvious Nichols was playing injured last season.

And you can't just remove the 75 yard pass to Lucky. Nichols made the pass and it was a beautiful play, thanks to Nichols. You can't just remove numbers like that; the pass and play happened. Based on your logic, let's remove all of his completions from last night and then we can say Nichols went 0-8 for zero yards. That's just stupid reasoning on your part.

Nichols had some great plays and also some pretty bad last night; so-so.
I'm not removing it, he was f***ing horrendous with one good play. That play still counts it's just overshadowed by the rest of the game. His numbers as a total are still not good, 13-21 for 200 yards is really bad for the CFL.

He was horrible last night, with one good play. If that's your definition of so-so, then okay.

nobody imp0rtant

Registered pessimist
May 23, 2018
I'm not removing it, he was ****ing horrendous with one good play. That play still counts it's just overshadowed by the rest of the game. His numbers as a total are still not good, 13-21 for 200 yards is really bad for the CFL.

He was horrible last night, with one good play. If that's your definition of so-so, then okay.

There are going to be puns galore this season, but I have to think that long completion was more Lucky than good. :nod: More often than not, that throw is going to be well off the mark. Winnipeg lost that game more than Edmonton won it. Oh wait, I meant the opposite. Shit, Bradbury's got me doing it now, too. :laugh:

Reactions: jetsforever

Trinity

Dec 12, 2017
Hall can take Fenner and Alexander with him.
Fenner is better suited at SAM linebacker. He's been playing DB this season because Gaitor won the starting SAM position. However Gaitor got injured last night so we may see Fenner switch to SAM.

Trinity

Dec 12, 2017
There's obviously some deep rooted Nichols haters here, so there is really no reasoning with people like you. Nichols is a good, not great CFL starting QB who can win a lot of games in the league. If you don't like Nichols as our starting QB, then please suggest a realistic alternative.

scelaton

Jul 5, 2012
We know what we have in Nichols, the 4/5th best QB in the CFL. There is no wait and see, by now we know what he is. He’s frightened to throw the ball every year for 4 games, he has 4 great games and the rest of the season he manages the game.

He has a lot of weapons and a good Coordinator to help him. He made good use of Whitehead yesterday. But he didn’t make plays to the rest of his receivers. 1 (?) throw to Adams and 2 catches for Matthews isn’t good enough. And the 4th quarter it looked like he had zero confidence in his accuracy, instead of just throwing the ball it looked like he was directing the ball.
I think this about sums it up. Lots of weapons on offense (including the OC) and defense will win you a lot of games but it's hard to win a championship with a middle to bottom half QB, unless you get very lucky. I'm a very fair-weather fan, like many others, and it's frankly hard to get excited about the team without an exciting QB.

Reactions: Mbraunm

Trinity

Dec 12, 2017
I think this about sums it up. Lots of weapons on offense (including the OC) and defense will win you a lot of games but it's hard to win a championship with a middle to bottom half QB, unless you get very lucky. I'm a very fair-weather fan, like many others, and it's frankly hard to get excited about the team without an exciting QB.
The best and most exciting QB in the league didn't make the playoffs last year and is now 0-2 to start this season.

tbcwpg

Jan 25, 2011
Snuck a win out yesterday. It's a good sign that they managed to play like that and still win, but needed some I'd say favourable reffing (not that Edmonton didn't shoot themselves in the foot), and timely drops. The defence bent but didn't break, which I guess is the strategy, but too many open receivers for my liking.

Nichols isn't going to light anyone up. He's capable, that's the best I can say about him.

jetsv2

Jan 13, 2013
Fenner might have had the worst game as a DB that I have ever seen in professional football.

TS Quint

I can see!
Sep 8, 2012
Fenner is better suited at SAM linebacker. He's been playing DB this season because Gaitor won the starting SAM position. However Gaitor got injured last night so we may see Fenner switch to SAM.
He's frightened of receivers speed. Even when he plays 10+ yards off his first step is backwards. He wasn't good enough for SAM and he isn't good enough for corner.

TS Quint

I can see!
Sep 8, 2012
The best and most exciting QB in the league didn't make the playoffs last year and is now 0-2 to start this season.
Who was the last middle of the road QB to win The Grey Cup? Mitchell won last year, he's at or near the top of the food chain. Reilly can't win every year.

Mbraunm

Oct 19, 2016
Nothing new, this is exactly what teams have been doing since last season.

True-it makes sense for teams to do this. Nichols has been the weak link on this team for quite some time.
The coaching staff really needs to give Streveller increased in-game reps. He could be our future. There is no future with with Nichols.

Reactions: Jets 31

Trinity

Dec 12, 2017
True-it makes sense for teams to do this. Nichols has been the weak link on this team for quite some time.
The coaching staff really needs to give Streveller increased in-game reps. He could be our future. There is no future with with Nichols.
Streveler is an elite runner, but Nichols arm is miles ahead of Streveler. Unless he makes massive improvements, Steveler will never be a starting QB in the league because of his arm.

nobody imp0rtant

Registered pessimist
May 23, 2018
There's obviously some deep rooted Nichols haters here, so there is really no reasoning with people like you. Nichols is a good, not great CFL starting QB who can win a lot of games in the league. If you don't like Nichols as our starting QB, then please suggest a realistic alternative.

Dominique Davis? Oh, wait...

Sometimes watching Nichols make me want to puuu... er, push the channel change button. :DD

JetsWillFly4Ever

May 21, 2011
Winnipeg MB.
He's not good.

Why would I suggest an alternative? There doesn't have to be an alternative to point out that he is not good.

Everything on this team is Grey Cup calibre except the QB, and maybe the coaching.

Scheifele55

Jun 22, 2012
Winnipeg, Manitoba
Even though the Winnipeg Blue Bombers are 2-0 I am hugely concerned with their passing offense. The play calling of Paul LaPolice leaves lots to be desired if Andrew Harris isn't finding holes that would open up the passing game. Last night if Lucky Whitehead wasn't, lucky, the team would have lost. When was the last time Matt Nichols threw for 400 yards as a Blue Bomber?

Reactions: Jets 31 and Mbraunm

Mbraunm

Oct 19, 2016
Even though the Winnipeg Blue Bombers are 2-0 I am hugely concerned with their passing offense. The play calling of Paul LaPolice leaves lots to be desired if Andrew Harris isn't finding holes that would open up the passing game. Last night if Lucky Whitehead wasn't, lucky, the team would have lost. When was the last time Matt Nichols threw for 400 yards as a Blue Bomber?

Actually, how many times did Nichols pass for 300 yards last year??

Reactions: Jets 31
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad