Prospect Info: 2019 40th overall: Vancouver selects Nils Höglander (LW, Rögle BK)

Status
Not open for further replies.

DFAC

Jan 19, 2008
Fitness, skill and hands as far as I know? Corret me if Im wrong.

Yup, those are his strengths too. I think his main weakness is obviously his size and if he was say 6”1 or 6”2 he would in the top half of the first round

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Been quite awhile since a Canuck draftee has turned so many heads and had tongues wagging like Hoglander did at development camp. His Youtube highlight reel is already becoming 'must-viewing, particularly that lacrosse style goal in the SHL last season.

Not sure where the knock on his skating is coming from. From what I can see, very quick through the neutral zone and some sick lateral movement and body control.

But of course a lot of posters were also high on Dahlen, who was a much more prolific scorer in the Allvenskan. So I guess you always have to 'wait and see' with any prospect. But I'm already feeling a lot more positive about him than the two other guys that Jimbo picked in the second round--Lind and Gadjovich.

Reactions: CanuckCity and DFAC

VasilyHoglander

Jun 28, 2014
West Vancouver
Been quite awhile since a Canuck draftee has turned so many heads and had tongues wagging like Hoglander did at development camp. His Youtube highlight reel is already becoming 'must-viewing, particularly that lacrosse style goal in the SHL last season.

Not sure where the knock on his skating is coming from. From what I can see, very quick through the neutral zone and some sick lateral movement and body control.

But of course a lot of posters were also high on Dahlen, who was a much more prolific scorer in the Allvenskan. So I guess you always have to 'wait and see' with any prospect. But I'm already feeling a lot more positive about him than the two other guys that Jimbo picked in the second round--Lind and Gadjovich.
His straight line speed needs work and cross overs can be more efficient. Great balance though especially for a smaller player. Probably has to do with his insane core strength.

PuckMunchkin

Very Nice, Very Evil!
Dec 13, 2006
Lapland
His straight line speed needs work and cross overs can be more efficient. Great balance though especially for a smaller player. Probably has to do with his insane core strength.

This is what Im seeing as well. And I tought it was consensus view on him but apparently he has been also reported as a fast player.

He is agile for sure... I just think he needs to get quite a bit faster to play in the NHL. He seems like Sebastian Aho / Bo Horvat type who is driven to improve so Im very hopeful he can address the issue.

VasilyHoglander

Jun 28, 2014
West Vancouver
This is what Im seeing as well. And I tought it was consensus view on him but apparently he has been also reported as a fast player.

He is agile for sure... I just think he needs to get quite a bit faster to play in the NHL. He seems like Sebastian Aho / Bo Horvat type who is driven to improve so Im very hopeful he can address the issue.
No doubt in my mind he will. The extra year in Sweden will really benefit him. Kid’s a player.

Reactions: PuckMunchkin

Bougieman

Nov 12, 2008
Vancouver
5'9 can often be too small, but only if you are a pushover. He's so strong on his skates, tenacious, and hard to knock down, even by players much bigger than he is.

I honestly don't think it's nearly as much of an issue as it would be for many other players at that size or smaller. You know who else is 5'9, tenacious, and really strong on his skates? Brad Marchand.

DFAC

Jan 19, 2008
5'9 can often be too small, but only if you are a pushover. He's so strong on his skates, tenacious, and hard to knock down, even by players much bigger than he is.

I honestly don't think it's nearly as much of an issue as it would be for many other players at that size or smaller. You know who else is 5'9, tenacious, and really strong on his skates? Brad Marchand.

Height is so overrated. We've seen so many gentle giants suit up for the Canucks over the years who never used their size eg. Shawn Matthias, Taylor Pyatt, Steve Bernier, Marc Chouinard, Nicklas Jensen.... the list goes on. Hell you could even add Virtanen to that list

Reactions: timw33 and Josepho

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
Height is so overrated. We've seen so many gentle giants suit up for the Canucks over the years who never used their size eg. Shawn Matthias, Taylor Pyatt, Steve Bernier, Marc Chouinard, Nicklas Jensen.... the list goes on. Hell you could even add Virtanen to that list

One of the biggest, most consistent errors that literally everybody - fans, media, NHL executives - make is considering a 6’1 185 player bigger than a 5’10 195 player.

Like, Brandon Sutter is a small little guy. Raffi Torres and Jordin Tootoo are big.

Height has basically no advantages without weight - longer reach, but higher center of mass and weaker on the puck.

Pastor Of Muppetz

Oct 1, 2017
Elias Pettersson is tall player without weight.. On the whole though,these players seem to get injured more often than not...my .02 cents

Last edited:

Hit the post

I have your gold medal Zippy!
Oct 1, 2015
Hiding under WTG's bed...
One of the biggest, most consistent errors that literally everybody - fans, media, NHL executives - make is considering a 6’1 185 player bigger than a 5’10 195 player.

Like, Brandon Sutter is a small little guy. Raffi Torres and Jordin Tootoo are big.

Height has basically no advantages without weight - longer reach, but higher center of mass and weaker on the puck.
Weren't most or all of the Sutter's not that tall? Though they certainly didn't play small. Granted, Brandon doesn't play like a "typical Sutter".

F A N

Aug 12, 2005

I think like most things the further you are from being average the harder it is. In Hoglander's case he did measure 5'9.5". Many smaller players are listed at a height that is taller than they actually are.

I wouldn't put Bernier on that list.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
Weren't most or all of the Sutter's not that tall? Though they certainly didn't play small. Granted, Brandon doesn't play like a "typical Sutter".

The Sutters were all in the 5'11 - 6'1 range which is smallish today but was pretty average for the 1980s.

It's just ludicrous that 200 lb. Alex Biega is 'tiny' while 185 lb. Brandon Sutter is 'big' because he's a 6'3 toothpick.

Szechwan

Sep 13, 2006
The Sutters were all in the 5'11 - 6'1 range which is smallish today but was pretty average for the 1980s.

It's just ludicrous that 200 lb. Alex Biega is 'tiny' while 185 lb. Brandon Sutter is 'big' because he's a 6'3 toothpick.
Sutter has broad shoulders, so his frame just has a bigger appearance. I don't really have an issue with Sutter physically, he seems to handle the boards fairly well, so there isn't much point in adding mass just for the sake of it.

Carnal

May 29, 2018
Sutter has broad shoulders, so his frame just has a bigger appearance. I don't really have an issue with Sutter physically, he seems to handle the boards fairly well, so there isn't much point in adding mass just for the sake of it.
He's also got balls, as he so eloquently criticized Goldobin's lack there of.

That makes him big, and manly...

Lindgren

Jun 30, 2005
Carol Schram, who does pretty good work, even if it is for HockeyBuzz, has a new profile of Hoglander, which includes this tidbit:

"Let's start with some good news. After skipping the World Junior Summer Showcase in Michigan a couple of weeks ago, Hoglander is on the roster for Team Sweden for next week's U20 Four Nations Tournament."
HockeyBuzz.com - Carol Schram - Vancouver Canucks 2019 Draft Prospect Profile: Nils Hoglander

Costmar will also play for Sweden. Russia's roster hasn't yet been announced.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
What's the outlook for Hoglander?.....will be follow the path of Pettersson?...one year in the SHL then on to NA with a shot at making the Canucks? Or does he stay in Sweden for a second season, and then some time in Utica for seasoning?

Askel

By the way Benning should be fired.
Apr 19, 2004
Malmö/Vancouver
What's the outlook for Hoglander?.....will be follow the path of Pettersson?...one year in the SHL then on to NA with a shot at making the Canucks? Or does he stay in Sweden for a second season, and then some time in Utica for seasoning?
He I not as good as Petterson was, my guess is that he stays in Sweden for 2 years and then comes over to NA. I dont thin kits a bad idea for him to establish himself in Sweden before coming over. Rögle is a not a great team like Växjö was, hopefully he gets a lot of playing time this year.

The Iron Goalie

Formally 'OEL for Norris'
Feb 8, 2012
Langley, BC
Watching the Finland vs Sweden game atm. Nils has looked good so far (a but rusty however), and drew a penalty that lead to a goal for Sweden. More to come after the game.

3rd period Updates* - 1st bad play of the game. Bobbles the puck at the defensive blue, is easily stripped away by the fins, and ends up in the back of Sweden's net. No effort on the back-check after the give away.

Followed up the bad shift with a good shift on the PP, and almost taps one in.

Holy f***!!! What a goal (13:49 of the 3rd per)!!!! Takes the pass between 3 fins, backheels the puck through his own legs + under the dmans stick, picks up the puck + bursts through the middle of the ice, dekes to the backhand, and fires it top shelf! Has been WAY better after the poor defensive effort.

Game ends 6-5 Finland in overtime. Hoglander finished with 1 goal. Looked fine, and rusty in the first 2 periods, but came alive in the 3rd after making a terrible play. Overall a solid 1st game of the tournament.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad