Prospect Info: 2019 40th overall: Vancouver selects Nils Höglander (LW, Rögle BK)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Disappointed EP40

Jan 13, 2015
I’m holding off on Lind until after Christmas. He never lived on his own before and had real trouble adjusting to that. He was fat and eating terrible.
Hoglander is already mature.
I wonder if Hoglander might make our team this year?

Nope. EP didn't... neither should Hoglander

CanaFan

Feb 19, 2010
BC
I’m holding off on Lind until after Christmas. He never lived on his own before and had real trouble adjusting to that. He was fat and eating terrible.
Hoglander is already mature.
I wonder if Hoglander might make our team this year?

Sure, I hope Lind can come back with a strong second year in Utica, but it shouldn’t be surprising that people are “down” (i.e. not optimistic) about a player that struggled in their first year. The NHL is a sharp funnel and you should expect prospects to fail more than expect them to succeed.

Re: Hoglander. Does he have any contractual commitments with Rogle for next season?

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
Sure, I hope Lind can come back with a strong second year in Utica, but it shouldn’t be surprising that people are “down” (i.e. not optimistic) about a player that struggled in their first year. The NHL is a sharp funnel and you should expect prospects to fail more than expect them to succeed.

Re: Hoglander. Does he have any contractual commitments with Rogle for next season?
He does. I read here it’s a three year deal. Surely the NHL has an agreement with the SHL, no? Kid really could surprise at camp.

Teflon Jim

Apr 4, 2018
Nope. EP didn't... neither should Hoglander
I'm not sure if EP wasn't ready in his d+1 because it seemed like EP made the decision to sign in the SHL while the nucks were still considering him playing sheltered minutes.
He started to dominate the SHL immediately and management and scouts must've seen he was ready just weeks before at training camp so perhaps we're leaning toward keeping him .
It seemed like EPs camp made the SHL decision .
Perhaps I'm wrong.

Disappointed EP40

Jan 13, 2015
I'm not sure if EP wasn't ready in his d+1 because it seemed like EP made the decision to sign in the SHL while the nucks were still considering him playing sheltered minutes.
He started to dominate the SHL immediately and management and scouts must've seen he was ready just weeks before at training camp so perhaps we're leaning toward keeping him .
It seemed like EPs camp made the SHL decision .
Perhaps I'm wrong.

The point is, there's room for Hoglander to grow there, so he should.

Hoping for a .7 PPG+ next season in SHL then we can talk AHL/NHL.

Teflon Jim

Apr 4, 2018
Exactly.

(I've mentioned it a couple times, but I see Viktor Arvidsson 2.0 in Hoglander.)
That's encouraging to hear as I've not seen much of him except highlight but him playing in the SHL at 17 tells me he must be pretty elusive and skilled .
It'll be good to see him at training camp.
Do you think his time would be better served in the AHL learning the small rink game of North America or Europe's big ice.

JanBulisPiggyBack

Dec 31, 2011
More than doubling his production is a huge ask, and 0.7 PPG in the SHL in his D+1 would be the kind of season you expect out of a top-10 pick.

Anything about 0.5 PPG would be amazing.

Hmmmm didn’t Petterrsen start off with these types of expectations and then smashed every conceivable expectation!!

Just saying Hoglander needs to break all of Petey boy Petey s records or bust !

Spectrefire

Jan 3, 2013
Getting shot in the head doesn’t mean you will die either.
Hell, just even playing in the SHL and having the coach trust you enough to play regular minutes and stay in the line-up is already a huge deal. Being able to produce is just cherry on top.

Reactions: timw33

Lindgren

Jun 30, 2005
Sweden's national junior coach had a few comments on Hoglander in a recent interview about his roster (the interview took place at the Summer Showcase, I believe):

Q: Even though Nils Hoglander (Vancouver) isn’t here, I presume he’s a strong candidate for your team.

A: For sure, and he should be on our team that goes to Russia for another tournament for a month. He felt that he wasn’t where he wanted to be physically, so he wanted time to prepare.

Q: It was at that tournament, the U20 Four Nations, that I remember him really going off last year.

A: Yes, absolutely. He’s a top guy for our team if he’s healthy.

Q&A: Sweden world junior coach Tomas Monten on prospects for...

JanBulisPiggyBack

Dec 31, 2011
Is it due to their body/build? Podkolzin is built more similarly to Jan Bulis.

Ha ha no, I think personally anyway, I really like the Swedish factor. As much of a tantalizing prospect ( skills not body type ) Podz is I fear his production and Russian factor where as Hogz might be a safer bet that we will get to enjoy sooner

Paulinvancouver

Gas station in Carbondale did not have fresh yams!
Dec 19, 2015
Kid’s a Beast. But can he play hockey?

My thoughts,

Yes. Big fan.

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
How does Nils Hoglander compare to Lias Andersson at the same age?

They are different players. Andersson has been the better prospect from a younger age. He also measured 5'11 201 lbs at the combine. You see in their draft -1 year Andersson dominated in the SuperElit. In their draft eligible year Andersson was also on the WJC team and has fared well whenever he played against his peers.

Hoglander is obviously a smaller player. But he's pretty well built and might have some room to grow (he does turn 19 in December). He's not that tall measuring 5'9.5" at the combine but he's 185lbs and muscular. He finished #1 in the peak power output test in the combine, 2nd in the bench press test, and tied for #1 in the pullups test. He finished top 10 in 7 of the combine tests. The guy works out. His ability to throw big hits makes sense.

Comparing the two, I think Andersson's game was just more mature, polished, and consistent. He also had the better shot. I do think Hoglander's offensive upside is better but his problem seems to be his consistency.

bobbyb2009

Sep 3, 2009
Fitness, skill and hands as far as I know? Corret me if Im wrong.

Scouting reports:
Undersized at just five-foot-nine, Hoglander makes up for it with outstanding skating ability. He is lightning quick, with outstanding speed and acceleration. This allows him to get behind the defence and away for breakaways. Off the rush, Hoglander can take a defender wide and cut to the net. He also has excellent agility and edgework. His ability to make quick cuts and changes in direction makes things even harder for defenders who try to cover him. Hoglander has good core strength for his age. His lower body is well developed. This allows him to be strong on the puck and to battle along the boards and in front of the net against bigger opponents.

The Swedish winger has some of the best hands in the draft and combines it with great skating and speed that makes it difficult to defend against him.

"A skilled winger with good acceleration and a better release. Plays bigger than his size and has looked capable in the SHL this season. Quick cuts and quicker hands allow him to dart in and out of traffic."

There isn’t a more elusive player in this year’s class

Hoglander is a dynamic winger who contains a high-octane motor

...accelerates well and works very hard along the boards in the offensive zone

Hoglander is a very good skater with first-step quickness who can accelerate to top speed in an instant. He controls his pace extremely well, and his quick feet and agility allow him to make sharp moves through the neutral zone.

He plays the game at a feverish pace no matter the score or how much time is left

Despite his small stature, Höglander plays a fearless game and has come to be well-known for his break-neck speed and lethal offensive capabilities. Extremely shifty and endlessly dynamic, Höglander plays the game with a ton of heart and strives to drive his team’s on ice success.

A very smooth skater, excels on his edges and uses his agility well.

________

There are some comments about the power in his skating that offer even more upside, but there does seem to be an agreement that his skating is a strength and not a weakness??

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad