Prospect Info: [2019 - 206th] Kieran Ruscheinski (Not Signed - Rights Expire)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Whitesnake

If you rebuild, they will come.
Jan 5, 2003
There's not really a template for success in the 7th but Evans/Stapley/Primeau were all good picks and IMO Harvey-Pinard was fine even if he becomes nothing. I'll lump Dichow and Khisamutdinov in as "digging" picks where they went off the board. I don't have any issue if they're digging for Jr. A stars, USHL goalies with meh stats who scout well, good QMJHL overagers, MHL overagers who had a good KHL stint, or big Danish goalies with great international numbers who are committed to a good Swedish team.

I think digging for a guy with 11 points in Midget AAA is a bit of a different thing. I'm definitely relieved to learn that this was an in memoriam pick, as much as it frustrates me that teams do this stuff (or NJD drafting Brodeur's kid etc) it's better than the alternative of the team thinking this was actually a reasonable gamble.

What it does say though is that everytime people shout how we have 12, 13, 14, or 15 picks, tell them that it means nothing. Where they are is what meaningful.

Reactions: LaP and JoelWarlord

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
There's not really a template for success in the 7th but Evans/Stapley/Primeau were all good picks and IMO Harvey-Pinard was fine even if he becomes nothing. I'll lump Dichow and Khisamutdinov in as "digging" picks where they went off the board. I don't have any issue if they're digging for Jr. A stars, USHL goalies with meh stats who scout well, good QMJHL overagers, MHL overagers with some KHL games, or big Danish goalies signed to a good Swedish team with good int'l stats are all worthwhile gambles. Guys playing in good leagues or with good international experience and/or interesting tools that are hard to find.

I think digging for a guy with 11 points in Midget AAA is a bit of a different thing. I'm definitely relieved to learn that this was an in memoriam pick, as much as it frustrates me that teams do this stuff (or NJD drafting Brodeur's kid etc) it's better than the alternative of the team thinking this was actually a reasonable gamble.

To me the only fine picks are the ones that end up contributing at the NHL level.

Otherwise they're close but ultimately no cigar/busts.

And, I'd rather one Mark Streit or Mark Stone, than 10 grinders - who can easily be obtained in the UFA market and on the waiver wire. In fact in our current situation, our GM is an expert in that, so even less useful to get them in the draft.

Habs

We should have drafted Michkov
Feb 28, 2002
I went to so many Chilliwack Chiefs games in the late 80's to early 90's, mostly to see girls from the schools I didn't go to, but also because I like hockey. I do remember seeing Paul Kariya on Penticton, but was too young to have seen Brett Hull.

Penticton still has a really good franchise, but its still low end hockey, its the reason I would have never taken Tyson Jost either. These kids are not tested that much, its a league for development and for those that will probably never make the WHL and take the college route instead.

Reactions: McTusk

Cenzo_

Dec 11, 2006
Montreal
The BCHL is such an odd league. Two teams churn out some talent, the rest are just ... below average teams.

I'm curious about the BCHL, do you know another league that could be compared to that one? Is the level much bellow the WHL? Players not good enough for the WHL end up in that league?

EDIT just saw that you answered my questions a few posts bellow

Habs

We should have drafted Michkov
Feb 28, 2002
I'm curious about the BCHL, do you know another league that could be compared to that one? Is the level much bellow the WHL? Players not good enough for the WHL end up in that league?

For reference, my neighbors son plays in the WHL as a rookie. He will maybe get 10 games this year, as he's not quite ready. He is often loaned to the BCHL affiliate when there is injuries or he needs ice time. He can't make a dent in the WHL yet, but he destroys the BCHL when he plays there. Its a big jump from one league to the next, but its still good hockey for kids that want to play college hockey and get a free ride.

Reactions: jaffy27 and Cenzo_

FloJack

Lurking and liking.
Sponsor
Sep 6, 2006
Penticton still has a really good franchise, but its still low end hockey, its the reason I would have never taken Tyson Jost either. These kids are not tested that much, its a league for development and for those that will probably never make the WHL and take the college route instead.

Yeah, it's always been a real special player at that level to emerge as a legit top prospect, Dennis Cholowski on the Red Wings seems like he'll have a decent NHL career is the most recent I can think of, don't follow as much I used to.

Reactions: Habs

Riggins

Jul 12, 2002
Vancouver, BC
What was the link between the deceased scout and this player?

I don't think we've ever drafted a worse player. He doesn't even look like he has a chance to play pro anywhere.

Kobe Armstrong

Jul 26, 2011

BCHL is very comparable to the AJHL IMO. Few draft picks a year with the odd high first rounder every few years

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
He has to be the worst draft pick I can recall.

I don't even look at it as a draft pick, you see this kind of thing in baseball drafts where they make the pick as thank you to someone in the organization, like the phillies drafted their announcers son in like the 40th round one year. I assume this was a one time thing and got to think they wouldn't do it again.

CapSpace

Caufield is lit
Nov 25, 2013
Near Montreal
This kind of f***ing pee wee move, even with a late round pick, should worth firing.

For f*** sake it's the NHL. There is only 7 rounds to draft hidden gems, not goddamn fool's gold to please some dead guy.

How can Molson live with this nonsense stuff is beyond me.

schnapshot

Mendoza baby
Jan 8, 2015
Montreal
This kind of ****ing pee wee move, even with a late round pick, should worth firing.

For **** sake it's the NHL. There is only 7 rounds to draft hidden gems, not goddamn fool's gold to please some dead guy.

How can Molson live with this nonsense stuff is beyond me.
You do realize that the odds of finding a Joe Pavelski or Pavel Datsyuk in the 7th round is less than one percent right?

japhi

Jul 7, 2014
I don’t have an opinion on this pick , but a guy I played AAA with, Joel Irving, was drafted 5th round out of the Smaahl. Fwiw guys have been plucked from B leagues forever.

And those wondering about the BCJ, Turris was top 5 out of that league. Gomez played in Surrey. Its a good league, a feeder for US College hockey

Feb 20, 2012
Calgary
I don’t have an opinion on this pick , but a guy I played AAA with, Joel Irving, was drafted 5th round out of the Smaahl. Fwiw guys have been plucked from B leagues forever.

And those wondering about the BCJ, Turris was top 5 out of that league. Gomez played in Surrey. Its a good league, a feeder for US College hockey
Yes, BCHL is the top Junior A league in Canada. It is better than NAHL but not as strong as USHL which is not as strong as WHL. Mostly undersized kids or kids not quite good enough WHL. It is the best feeder system for NCAA in Canada.

Reactions: japhi

japhi

Jul 7, 2014
Yes, BCHL is the top Junior A league in Canada. It is better than NAHL but not as strong as USHL which is not as strong as WHL. Mostly undersized kids or kids not quite good enough WHL. It is the best feeder system for NCAA in Canada.
Agreed, AJHL doesn’t compare. I was one of those undersized kids! Not anymore...

Riggins

Jul 12, 2002
Vancouver, BC
For a team that drafted a potential #1 goalie in Primeau in the 7th round two years ago, it makes it even more puzzling. Sure the chances are slim, but the Habs also drafted the following in the 7th round and later: S. Kostitsyn, Streit, Halak, Ryder, Robidas, Vokoun, Savage. Surely there's a better way to honour someone in the organization who passed away than throwing away a draft pick.

schnapshot

Mendoza baby
Jan 8, 2015
Montreal
Yes. And you'll never, ever, find anything close to them wasting picks on steaming garbage.
Sure, but the fact that people are actually upset about this is hilarious. The Islanders picked a chinese guy in the 6th round in 2015, he hasn't even played in the NCAA yet. The Devils drafted Marty Brodeur's son in the 7th round.

It's a crapshoot, and teams don't really care if nothing interesting is left on their board.

Only on HFBoards would people be upset at a bad 7th round pick :laugh:

JoelWarlord

May 7, 2012
Halifax
Sure, but the fact that people are actually upset about this is hilarious. The Islanders picked a chinese guy in the 6th round in 2015, he hasn't even played in the NCAA yet. The Devils drafted Marty Brodeur's son in the 7th round.
Yeah and those were bad picks too. I don't know how bringing up two of the absolute worst draft picks of the decade is supposed to make people feel better about drafting a guy with 11 points in Midget AAA.

It's a crapshoot, and teams don't really care if nothing interesting is left on their board.
Selected after Ruschienski were players like Cole Coskey from the OHL with 63P in 52 games. Or Dustin Wolf, a first year draft eligible goalie who had a .936 save percentage in 61 games in the WHL. Juuso Parssinen, a big Finnish LW who had OK stats in Finnish U20 and played 7 Liiga games at 17. Vadim Zherenko with a .936 in Russian junior. None of these players are great bets to pan out but they'd all be reasonable scratch lottery tickets for the 7th round with some intriguing tool, and played well in plausible development leagues for NHL prospects.

Of course it's a crapshoot late in the draft. So roll the dice on a center scoring a bunch in Jr. A, or a USHL goalie with meh stats that your scout likes, or a big goalie with good international stats who's committed to a good Swedish club, or a big Russian overager that scored a ton in junior and had 5P in 9 KHL games. Nobody is upset at a team picking 7th rounders that aren't likely to pan out because that's every 7th rounder. If you make reasonable picks and take players that have at least some intriguing tool or skill or history of good results at a reasonable level your odds of finding a player in the later rounds over the years are much better than throwing picks away.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad