2019-2020 Training Camp PTO Thread

RAFI BOMB

May 11, 2016
Scherwey just signed like a crazy 8 year extension with Bern in the Swiss league. I'm curious if it even has an NHL out clause in it.

Scherwey is the Swiss League's biggest super-pest. He's like their Brad Marchand. Every Swiss League fan hates him except for Bern fans, who adore him.

He's the kind of guy who every single coach wants on their team. I have no idea if his skill level is up to NHL standards. Honestly, I would not be shocked if he played his way onto this team on the 4th line. I guarantee that Smith is going to fall in love with him. It's just a matter of if his skill is enough to hang at the NHL level.

I was able to find this:
Tristan Scherwey to attend the Ottawa Senators' training camp
Scherwey's contract contains an NHL-out clause for summer 2020 and one that allows him to attend a training camp this fall.

I don't know if the NHL out clause is only restricted to summer 2020, but we know that much so far.

BonkTastic

ಠ_ಠ
Nov 9, 2010
Parts Unknown
Scherwey just signed like a crazy 8 year extension with Bern in the Swiss league. I'm curious if it even has an NHL out clause in it.

Scherwey is the Swiss League's biggest super-pest. He's like their Brad Marchand. Every Swiss League fan hates him except for Bern fans, who adore him.

He's the kind of guy who every single coach wants on their team. I have no idea if his skill level is up to NHL standards. Honestly, I would not be shocked if he played his way onto this team on the 4th line. I'm not expecting it to happen, but it wouldn't surprise me either. I guarantee that Smith is going to fall in love with him. It's just a matter of if his skill is enough to hang at the NHL level.

Hinterland

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2016

He's the kind of guy who every single coach wants on their team. I have no idea if his skill level is up to NHL standards. Honestly, I would not be shocked if he played his way onto this team on the 4th line. I'm not expecting it to happen, but it wouldn't surprise me either. I guarantee that Smith is going to fall in love with him. It's just a matter of if his skill is enough to hang at the NHL level.

Uhm:laugh:
Are we talking about the same Tristan Scherwey? The one who just won MPP (most popular player, voted by the fans) at the Swiss Hockey Awards?
Just checking because I don't know a second player named Tristan Scherwey:sarcasm:

Seriousy. You were probably confusing him with Thomas Rüfenacht.

Regarding his contract...he can't leave now but he has an out clause kicking in after next season.

Reactions: NB613

FolignoQuantumLeap

Don't Hold The Door
Mar 16, 2009
Ottawa
Are we talking about the same Tristan Scherwey? The one who just won MPP (most popular player, voted by the fans) at the Swiss Hockey Awards?
Just checking because I don't know a second player named Tristan Scherwey:sarcasm:

Regarding his contract...he can't leave now but he has an out clause kicking in after next season.
Sounds like we found a great cHaRaCtEr GuY.

BonkTastic

ಠ_ಠ
Nov 9, 2010
Parts Unknown

Seriousy. You were probably confusing him with Thomas Rüfenacht.

Most popular player because of his play on the Swiss national team, probably?

I can tell you from having lived in Switzerland, from experience at least, that fans of other teams always complain about him when their team is playing against him. Schwrwey plays on the edge and often goes over it. He provokes a ton, he's always yapping, he picks fights... The guy absolutely has a reputation.

I mean, my experience certainly could be anecdotal and somehow atypical, but I doubt it. He's the guy everyone was always like "... He's so good for Switzerland on the national team, but why does he have to be such a prick when he's playing my team? I wish he was on our team".

Maybe Bergeron was a bad example? I dunno. There was certainly was always that "yeah he's great on the national team, but in the A league he'a such a !&#%" vibe I always got.

That goal he scored against Canada certainly could have increased his rep in Switzerland. I haven't lived there in 2 years, so the vibe might be different now? I'm just speaking from basically the unanimous impression I got from most fans. I did live between Geneve and Lausanne though, so maybe his rep in French Switzerland is different than the German areas.

I mean, I literally had a conversation earlier today over whatsapp with a friend who still lives over there and is a Geneve-Servette supporter, and he knows that I'm a Sens guy, and he was like "yes, please Ottawa sign him so he can leave Bern! Just make sure to give him back to play on the national team!" That's the kind of "hate" I'm talking about.

Last edited:

jonas2244

Jan 4, 2010
Scherwey made a huge step in the last two years, he's a lot calmer, takes less penalties, has more offensive production. Great skater, great hitter, great work ethic.
But yeah, beside Bern-supporters probably nobody really likes him. Earlier because he sometimes went over the edge, in the last two years mainly because he just got so good and is (for the Swiss league) kind of a unique asset, a winger who really can skate, is always dangerous and knows how to hit (and does it).
His offensive upside would probably be smaller in the NHL, but I could see him playing in the 3rd or 4th line of a weaker NHL-team.

As @Hinterland said, he has an NHL-out clause next summer, there is probably no way he can play for any NHL team this year.

Reactions: BonkTastic

Hinterland

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2016
Most popular player because of his play on the Swiss national team, probably?

I can tell you from having lived in Switzerland, from experience at least, that fans of other teams always complain about him when their team is playing against him. Schwrwey plays on the edge and often goes over it. He provokes a ton, he's always yapping, he picks fights... The guy absolutely has a reputation.

I mean, my experience certainly could be anecdotal and somehow atypical, but I doubt it. He's the guy everyone was always like "... He's so good for Switzerland on the national team, but why does he have to be such a prick when he's playing my team? I wish he was on our team".

Maybe Bergeron was a bad example? I dunno. There was certainly was always that "yeah he's great on the national team, but in the A league he'a such a !&#%" vibe I always got.

That goal he scored against Canada certainly could have increased his rep in Switzerland. I haven't lived there in 2 years, so the vibe might be different now? I'm just speaking from basically the unanimous impression I got from most fans. I did live between Geneve and Lausanne though, so maybe his rep in French Switzerland is different than the German areas.

I mean, I literally had a conversation earlier today over whatsapp with a friend who still lives over there and is a Geneve-Servette supporter, and he knows that I'm a Sens guy, and he was like "yes, please Ottawa sign him so he can leave Bern! Just make sure to give him back to play on the national team!" That's the kind of "hate" I'm talking about.

Again, you're probably confusing Scherwey with Rüfenacht.
Scherwey isn't a fighter...he sucks at fighting and would never pick fights. Whoever told you this doesn't have a clue. He's a hard hitter but he's not dirty. He's essentially Micheal Ferland, just smaller and a worse fighter. He's the exact same player...with the exact same tools and skillset...at least in my view. Did Ferland cross the line sometimes? Yes...ironically mainly in that one playoff series against his new club. Is he dirty? I don't think so and he's surely not looking for fights.

Again. Whoever says that Scherwey is dirty doesn't know hockey. A few questionable hits yeah but he didn't do those to injure opponents. Like already mentioned he also cleaned up his hits and general behaviour over the years. If some people still don't like him it's probably because he's too good and they're mad that he's not on their team.

I'm not a Bern supporter but I've always liked Scherwey. In Switzerland we lack those heart and soul guys. We have lots of likeable, soft guys like Josi, Niederreiter or Hischier but not enough guys who play in your face hockey, willing to go where it hurts. Scherwey, besides Meier, is probably the only one of those guys who has the tools to play at NHL level. Calvin Thürkauf maybe but that remains to be seen. Scherwey has what it takes but it's gonna be tough for him to win a spot. As a smallish European (and as a Swiss it's even more difficult) you're not exactly an NHL coaches dream for a spot on the 4th line.

Bileur

Jun 15, 2004
Ottawa
What’s going on with Pius Suter anyways? He looked pretty decent when he got a shot here.

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
Scherwey apparently is 28 now and would be 29 in 2020. I am puzzled by this invite for a try-out.

Hinterland

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2016
What’s going on with Pius Suter anyways? He looked pretty decent when he got a shot here.

Wasted/lost season in Switzerland. Not sure he can be blamed for it since the whole team was a mess. Now ZSC again hired Swedish Coaches. The last Swedes they hired were complete fools and ruined a very strong team. Having said that, there's not much to ruin now:D

So maximum partly Suter's fault but this could cost him some NHL-offers. Don't think any team is gonna offer him a contract now. Suter is skilled player...he needs at least a 3rd line spot in order to be useful.

Suter is still young so he has a chance to redeem himself but right now he's quite far away from playing in the NHL.

Hinterland

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2016
Scherwey apparently is 28 now and would be 29 in 2020. I am puzzled by this invite for a try-out.

Not much to lose by offering tryouts.
Besides that, you get to look at one of Switzerland's best forwards outside of the NHL and a pretty unique player at least amongst players with a Swiss passport.

You gave Di Domenico a shot and he didn't do too bad. Scherwey is essentially a better version of Di Domenico minus the shenanigans. Again. Scherwey is easily good enough for a 4th line role in the NHL...he just needs a fair chance despite his nationality and lack of size.

Reactions: derriko

BonkTastic

ಠ_ಠ
Nov 9, 2010
Parts Unknown
Again, you're probably confusing Scherwey with Rüfenacht.
Scherwey isn't a fighter...he sucks at fighting and would never pick fights. Whoever told you this doesn't have a clue. He's a hard hitter but he's not dirty. He's essentially Micheal Ferland, just smaller and a worse fighter. He's the exact same player...with the exact same tools and skillset...at least in my view. Did Ferland cross the line sometimes? Yes...ironically mainly in that one playoff series against his new club. Is he dirty? I don't think so and he's surely not looking for fights.

Again. Whoever says that Scherwey is dirty doesn't know hockey. A few questionable hits yeah but he didn't do those to injure opponents. Like already mentioned he also cleaned up his hits and general behaviour over the years. If some people still don't like him it's probably because he's too good and they're mad that he's not on their team.

I'm not a Bern supporter but I've always liked Scherwey. In Switzerland we lack those heart and soul guys. We have lots of likeable, soft guys like Josi, Niederreiter or Hischier but not enough guys who play in your face hockey, willing to go where it hurts. Scherwey, besides Meier, is probably the only one of those guys who has the tools to play at NHL level. Calvin Thürkauf maybe but that remains to be seen. Scherwey has what it takes but it's gonna be tough for him to win a spot. As a smallish European (and as a Swiss it's even more difficult) you're not exactly an NHL coaches dream for a spot on the 4th line.

I lived in Switzerland for 3 years and watched the NLA pretty consistently. I went to at least a half-dozen GSHC games per year, almost that many Lausanne games, amd countless others watched on TV.

This isn't a "someone told me" thing. This is not only my opinion based on multiple, multiple viewings, but also the opinion of most GSHC & Lausanne HC fans I spoke to about the guy in my time there.

You're free to have a different opinion than mine, but I've been watching hockey for almost 40 years... I'll trust my own opinion on this one, thanks. Agree to disagree.

Rufenacht is a prick on the ice, for sure, I'll agree on that one, he's also bigger and stronger than Tristan, but Scherwey certainly has a rep... Or did as of like 2016. 3 years certainly can make a difference, but I know for a fact that I'm not wrong about his rep as of 2016. Maybe it's different now.

If he's changed since then, neat. I'm not even saying it's a bad thing - you love guys like that on your team. But he absolutely, absolutely had that rep back then. 2015 was like prime Scherwey-instigating-as-much-as-he-possibly-could era.

And yes - Scherwey fights. Or, again, he used to. He famously had a bunch of fights in 2015, including the supwr bloody one vs Duca, after he provoked him. Scherwey never started fights, but he always instigated them, or played on the edge enough that he became a target for other players. That's always what he used to do - provoke until someone chases him. If he doesn't fight anymore, that might just be a "getting older" thing. Props to him, he never turned down a fight. I've even attended two separate games vs Bern where Scherwey was on the edge of having someone on GSHC chase him around the ice.

Again, I need to reiterate here - I'm not picking on the guy. A lot of this stuff is what made him super effective. Bern fans love the guy. This stuff is why you'd want him on your team - constantly knocks other players off their game, super high energy player who finishes his checks despite being undersized even in the NLA, can trash-talk in three different languages... There's a reason he's been as successful as he has.

Last edited:

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
Not much to lose by offering tryouts.
Besides that, you get to look at one of Switzerland's best forwards outside of the NHL and a pretty unique player at least amongst players with a Swiss passport.

You gave Di Domenico a shot and he didn't do too bad. Scherwey is essentially a better version of Di Domenico minus the shenanigans. Again. Scherwey is easily good enough for a 4th line role in the NHL...he just needs a fair chance despite his nationality and lack of size.

For the Senators, in a rebuild, it does not make sense to me to use a roster spot on a 29 year old small 4th line player when we could use that roster spot for developing younger prospects with a higher future value to the team. Or a policeman type player like Reaves who can handle the heavyweights if they start taking liberties with our younger or skilled players.

Neither Di Domenico nor Scherwey have much if any value to the rebuilding team.

Ice-Tray

Jan 31, 2006
Victoria
You can’t use every spot to develop a kid. Too many rookies at once will spoil the development for everyone.

There should only be a couple rookies added to the team each year. To maximize their drive for open spots, and to maintain optimum development focus from the coaching staff. You also need a number of quality vets to take the brunt of media after many losses, take the physical brunt during games, and to impart valuable advice about being a pro.

The 4th line is the perfect spot for a character player who has grit, leadership, and can serve as a buffer for the rookies and sophomores.

Add in that this is a highly regarded Swiss player who will be looking to absolutely work his butt off to earn an NHL roster spot, and will undoubtably be happy with a 4th line role, and you have exactly what any rebuilding team should be looking for as a short term add year 1 of a rebuild. I mean, he could end up being far more than we bargained for, at zero cost or gamble to us.

Hinterland

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2016
For the Senators, in a rebuild, it does not make sense to me to use a roster spot on a 29 year old small 4th line player when we could use that roster spot for developing younger prospects with a higher future value to the team. Or a policeman type player like Reaves who can handle the heavyweights if they start taking liberties with our younger or skilled players.

Neither Di Domenico nor Scherwey have much if any value to the rebuilding team.

There's always a place for free assets on cheap contracts. Reaves is a very good fighter but that's about the only thing he's better at than Scherwey. Scherwey is a very efficient hitter and therefore a pretty unique player. He's puts opponents off their game and hurts them with clean hits similar to Ferland before he slowed down due to injuries.
Scherwey won't take anything away from young players either because wherever he signs, if he ever does, he won't average much more than 10mins per game and he won't be more than a 4th liner with above average offensive upside.

Ouroboros

There is no armour against Fate
Feb 3, 2008
Seems kind of pointless to an invite a guy to camp that you can't sign irrespective of how well he performs.

It's a good year to have a bunch of PTO's in camp to push the younger players, but they have to be credible threats to somebody's job. A guy in his late 20's with no NHL experience that you can't sign until 2020 is not that.

Reactions: DrEasy

Boud

Dec 27, 2011
Seems kind of pointless to an invite a guy to camp that you can't sign irrespective of how well he performs.

It's a good year to have a bunch of PTO's in camp to push the younger players, but they have to be credible threats to somebody's job. A guy in his late 20's with no NHL experience that you can't sign until 2020 is not that.

Couldn't he and his team still agree mutually to terminate the contract ?! Then he would be able to sign.

Hinterland

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2016
Couldn't he and his team still agree mutually to terminate the contract ?! Then he would be able to sign.

They sure could. Not sure if Bern would do that but Scherwey never played anywhere else in the NLA and if he would ask them I could see them reward a loyal player who was a big part of their teams for years and won 6 trophies with the club. Not sure if Scherwey would leave early without a real shot at an NHL spot though. He's a fan favourite and undoubtedly happy in Bern.

Reactions: BonkTastic

BonkTastic

ಠ_ಠ
Nov 9, 2010
Parts Unknown
They sure could. Not sure if Bern would do that but Scherwey never played anywhere else in the NLA and if he would ask them I could see them reward a loyal player who was a big part of their teams for years and won 6 trophies with the club. Not sure if Scherwey would leave early without a real shot at an NHL spot though. He's a fan favourite and undoubtedly happy in Bern.

Yeah, I doubt Scherwey would bail on a nice long-term NLA contract without having an NHL contract in hand, possibly even a 1-way deal.

I know the Quinte region of Belleville has it's own charm, but I can assure you that being a pro hockey player and having the choice of playing in a drop-dead gorgeous, world class city like Bern, or playing in... Belleville... it's not really a hard choice. I can't see Scherwey leaving Bern for a year in Belleville, not at his age.

Reactions: slamigo

Hinterland

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2016
Yeah, I doubt Scherwey would bail on a nice long-term NLA contract without having an NHL contract in hand, possibly even a 1-way deal.

I know the Quinte region of Belleville has it's own charm, but I can assure you that being a pro hockey player and having the choice of playing in a drop-dead gorgeous, world class city like Bern, or playing in... Belleville... it's not really a hard choice. I can't see Scherwey leaving Bern for a year in Belleville, not at his age.

I'd like to see more of the younger Swiss player play minors or juniors in NA...sadly only few are willing to give up their lifestyle and their well paid spots in a strong league. It's why we have far less NHL players than other countries despite having similar player pools. Our players don't need to go anywhere in order to make a good living with hockey. Compare that to Sweden where stadiums are empty and clubs go bankrupt on a regular basis..you have no choice there.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad