2019-2020 Training Camp PTO Thread

Sens72

Football Enthusiast
Aug 31, 2018
Canada
Just spitballing here, some potential PTO's that I think would make training camp a bit more competitive.

LW, RW - Devante Smith-Pelly (Age: 27) - 4 goals, 8 points in 54 GP. (0.15 P/GP) (WSH)
RW, LW - Jamie McGinn (Age: 30) - 4 goals, 7 points in 19 GP. (0.37 P/GP) (FLA)
C, LW, RW - Connor Brickley (Age: 27) 1 goal, 4 points in 14 GP. (0.29 P/GP) (NYR)
LW, RW - Tobias Rieder (Age: 26) 0 goals, 11 points in 67 GP. (0.16 P/GP) (EDM)

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
There's always a place for free assets on cheap contracts. Reaves is a very good fighter but that's about the only thing he's better at than Scherwey. Scherwey is a very efficient hitter and therefore a pretty unique player. He's puts opponents off their game and hurts them with clean hits similar to Ferland before he slowed down due to injuries.
Scherwey won't take anything away from young players either because wherever he signs, if he ever does, he won't average much more than 10mins per game and he won't be more than a 4th liner with above average offensive upside.

Reaves contributes more than just policing. He was very effective in the playoffs. His stat line for last season was OK too for a player of that type.
2018-19Vegas Golden KnightsNHL8091120741700017
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

Sens Mile

Sep 1, 2008
I dont think we will see too many PTO players this year. Our organization is quite high with the number of contracts on our roster- so I honestly think weaponized contract space will be more valuable come NCAA free agent signing time than haing a stop gap in the organizaiton right now.

Icelevel

During these difficult times...
Sep 9, 2009
Just spitballing here, some potential PTO's that I think would make training camp a bit more competitive.

LW, RW - Devante Smith-Pelly (Age: 27) - 4 goals, 8 points in 54 GP. (0.15 P/GP) (WSH)
C, LW, RW - Connor Brickley (Age: 27) 1 goal, 4 points in 14 GP. (0.29 P/GP) (NYR)
A big no way to that list.

Hinterland

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2016

Rieder yes. Brickley I don't know. The other two, nah.

Hinterland

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2016
Reaves contributes more than just policing. He was very effective in the playoffs. His stat line for last season was OK too for a player of that type.
2018-19Vegas Golden KnightsNHL8091120741700017
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

Which statistically was by far his best season and he only came up with these numbers because of his usage and linemates. He skates in slow motion and aged 32, he's not gonna get any faster. With his "skillset" he wouldn't even be good enough for an ECHL scoring line. He's just a plug, really. Due to being so slow, he's not even an efficient hitter. He's essentially just a slightly better version of Cody McLeod. He's good fighter but he sucks at hockey.

I like fighting and I think that there's still a place for tough guys in the NHL but Reaves is a dinosaur...

Crosside

Aug 1, 2018
Hey guys what do you think to give a pto to Pominville if Montréal past on him

Ouroboros

There is no armour against Fate
Feb 3, 2008

I think that number indicates that Scherwey is likely the only PTO at camp. Perhaps 1 other at the most.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010

I think that number indicates that Scherwey is likely the only PTO at camp. Perhaps 1 other at the most.

Jeez, that seems like a lot, last year we had 57 players announced for the training camp roster and that included Karlsson and Gaborik. (but I guess it didn't include DeMelo, Tierney, Balcers ect)

Ouroboros

Feb 3, 2008
Jeez, that seems like a lot, last year we had 57 players announced for the training camp roster and that included Karlsson and Gaborik. (but I guess it didn't include DeMelo, Tierney, Balcers ect)

It is a big camp and it could be difficult to manage. Seems like most teams try to keep the numbers in the low 50's.

This is who I've got as the likely participants...

G [7]

Craig Anderson
Anders Nilsson
Marcus Hogberg
Filip Gustavsson
Joey Daccord
Kevin Mandolese
Mads Sogaard

D [21]

Thomas Chabot
Nikita Zaitsev
Ron Hainsey
Mark Borowiecki
Dylan DeMelo
Christian Wolanin
Christian Jaros
Erik Brannstrom
Cody Goloubef
Max Lajoie
Nick Ebert
Andreas Englund
Maxence Guenette
Jack Dougherty [AHL]
Hubert Labrie [AHL]
Jordan Murray [AHL]
Michael Brodzinski [AHL]
Trent Bourque [AHL]
Jonathan Aspirot [ATO]
Nicholas Welsh [ATO]
Miles Gendron [AHL]

F [33]

Bobby Ryan
Colin White
Artem Anisimov
Mikkel Boedker
JG Pageau
Chris Tierney
Connor Brown
Anthony Duclair
Max Veronneau
Brady Tkachuk
Logan Brown
Tyler Ennis
Drake Batherson
Josh Norris
John Gruden
Jordan Szwarz
Jon Davidsson
Andrew Sturtz
JC Beaudin
Rudolfs Balcers
Nick Paul
Alex Formenton
Vitaly Abramov
Filip Chlapik
Parker Kelly
Jack Rodewald
Mike Carcone
Morgan Klimchuk
Francois Beauchemin [AHL]
Chris Clapperton [AHL]
Joe Labate [AHL]
Mark Kastelic
Tristan Scherwey [PTO]

I haven't counted any of the LTIR players of course, and I've made some assumption on what rookie camp players will be invited to main camp. I've also assumed that everybody contracted to Belleville other than Alex Dubeau will be invited to main camp. If they do indeed bring Dubeau that gets the numbers to 62.

RAFI BOMB

May 11, 2016

I think you are correct. I listened to Dorion's interview and he mentioned he is still talking to a few agents about potential PTO's but at this point this is the group they are going with. So unless there are some unannounced PTO's included in their current group or if some of these other players decide to accept a PTO offer it sounds like the only one will be Scherwey.

A lot of the players I thought they could have targeted for PTO's either signed a PTO with another team, got an AHL deal or signed in Europe/Russia.

Overall I think players like Tristan Scherwey are the best targets for PTO's for the Sens given the direction this organization is heading in. They have a lot of prospects pushing for spots so getting a look at a player from Europe that could make an impact seems worthwhile.

RAFI BOMB

May 11, 2016

The plan is to split the team into three groups. Each with 12 forwards, 6 defensemen and 2 goalies as per Garrioch's article.

Also Dorion mentioned that there are currently 3 forward spots and 2 spots on defense available. He also says there could be more spots available, that both him and DJ Smith agree that if a regular roster spot player does not perform through camp that they will not be here.

Given how mediocre our regular roster spot players are and how much talent there is in the prospect pool it seems highly likely that some NHL players will get cut ie Boedker.

RAFI BOMB

May 11, 2016
Yeah Boedker have to be ready if not he go eat hot dog in the press box

They might just waive him. I got the impression from Dorion's comments that him saying "they won't be here" if an NHL regular doesn't perform means that they won't be in Ottawa so either traded or waived.

Reactions: Crosside

Joeyjoejoe

Dec 18, 2015
3 forward spots and 2 defense?

Forwards:

Tkachuk - White - Duclair
XXXX- Tierney - Brown
XXXX -Anisimov - Ryan
XXXX -Pageau - Ennis

Boedker waived?

Basically Balcers, Batherson, Brown, Formenton, Chlapik, Paul, Davidsson to fight for 3 spots, maybe 4 spots if Ryan comes back even fatter and slower than last year. 5 spots if Duclair looks disinterested.

Defense you got:

Chabot - Zeitsev
XXXX - DeMelo
XXXX - Hainsey
Boro?

Wolanin, Braanstrom, Jaros, Lajoie to fight for 2 spots.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
FWIW, Davidsson may have been promised a roster spot already.

That seems like an odd thing to do... I guess we only really have 9 forwards on one way contracts, and Tkachuk who is guaranteed a spot, so promising Davidsson one leaves 2 spots for Batherson, Brown, Formenton, Balcers, Abramov ect to compete for, but idk...

I guess he was at risk for staying in Sweden had we not promised him that spot

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
3 forward spots and 2 defense?

Forwards:

Tkachuk - White - Duclair
XXXX- Tierney - Brown
XXXX -Anisimov - Ryan
XXXX -Pageau - Ennis

Boedker waived?

Basically Balcers, Batherson, Brown, Formenton, Chlapik, Paul, Davidsson to fight for 3 spots, maybe 4 spots if Ryan comes back even fatter and slower than last year. 5 spots if Duclair looks disinterested.

Defense you got:

Chabot - Zeitsev
XXXX - DeMelo
XXXX - Hainsey
Boro?

Wolanin, Braanstrom, Jaros, Lajoie to fight for 2 spots.
Boedker may be waived, but like Smith last year, will just rejoin the team after he clears. Doubt they are keen on spending 3 million in the AHL, and another ~1 mill on his replacement at the same time.

Zero chance Ryan and Duclair's spots are in jeopardy.

stempniaksen

Oct 12, 2008
I wonder if the team will carry extra bodies to start the year, given they have a 3 game road trip out west (games 6, 7 and 8). I wouldn't be overly surprised to see guys like Formenton and Brannstrom break camp with the team only to be sent back before the 9 game mark for some extra seasoning.

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
I'd imagine we start out with something along the lines of:

Tkachuk-White-Batherson
Duclair-Tierny/Anisimov-Ryan
Ennis-Pageau-Brown
Boedker-Tierny/Anisimov-Davidsson/Balcers
Paul/Chlapik

EDIT: Completely forgot Ennis. He's got a spot locked up as well

Last edited:

Ouroboros

Feb 3, 2008
I wonder if the team will carry extra bodies to start the year, given they have a 3 game road trip out west (games 6, 7 and 8). I wouldn't be overly surprised to see guys like Formenton and Brannstrom break camp with the team only to be sent back before the 9 game mark for some extra seasoning.

The 9 game threshold isn't relevant for any of the players who are challenging for roster spots this season - none of their contracts can slide.

So whoever makes the team out of camp should be here for as long as their level of play is up to snuff.

stempniaksen

Oct 12, 2008
The 9 game threshold isn't relevant for any of the players who are challenging for roster spots this season - none of their contracts can slide.

So whoever makes the team out of camp should be here for as long as their level of play is up to snuff.

The 9 game mark was in regards to when the team would be back from the roadtrip, but I can totally understand why you thought I meant it in regards to the ELC sliding. Just a funny coincidence in this case.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->